'Man of Steel' bulks up on 5,000 calories a day
August 6th, 2011

'Man of Steel' bulks up on 5,000 calories a day

Brit actor Henry Cavill is the newest Superman, and his first order of business is to fill out that suit!

Cavill tells Total Film magazine that in order to become the steely superhero, he's been chowing down on 5,000 calories a day.

"You've got to eat protein first, then a little bit of carbs ... you've gotta keep your hunger levels going," he says of packing on the pounds. The actor is training two and a half hours a day, but luckily he got a head start adding muscle mass. Cavill recently portrayed Theseus in “Immortals,” which will be released on November 11.

Cavill was beat out by Daniel Craig years ago for the role of James Bond, but Superman might even be the better role.

"It's extremely cool,” the actor says of sporting the iconic blue and red suit. “There's no other feeling like it … I turned around and look[ed] in the mirror and you can't really play it cool - you sort of guffaw and laugh. I thought 'OK, holy hell, this is real, it's not a joke anymore."

As for being a Brit playing an uber-American role, Cavill is more than fine with it. "I'm very proud to be British and playing an iconic American superhero ... it means I'm doing something right somewhere."

But don’t get too excited about seeing Cavill in action; “Man of Steel” won’t hit theaters until June 14, 2013.

« Previous entry
  1. Who Is The T Mobile Girl

T Mobile found a real hottie with Carly!

April 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kisa Kisa

would love to do that but not gain any weight

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7m56YH-lHw&w=640&h=390]

September 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Argle Bargle

What? They scheduled its release AFTER the end of the world? Great Caesar's Ghost!

August 20, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. j

After he leaps tall buildings in a single bound, then he will sit down and have a cup of tea with you.

August 19, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hank's girl

Henry Cavill was gorgeous in the Tudors, and a fine actor as well. My only disappointment with him being cast as Superman is that now us Tudors fans will have to share him with the rest of the world. Kinda feel the same way towards Alexander Skaarsgard from True Blood. Anyway, he deserves to finally catch a break (still think he would make a great Bond though).

August 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. anita

Hello dearest, my name is ms anita.
    Nice to meet and hope to make a wonderful friendship with you because i
    Hope we shall also meet in Heaven Where friendship never ends.so therefore write to me [ anitadeby79@yahoo.co.uk] more about your hobbies directly because i have something very very important and fundamental to share with you and also i will send you my photos, also i strongly believe that A precious friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.” thanks once again and waiting for your soonest reply
    kiss from [ anitadeby79@yahoo.co.uk ] hug for Love.

August 17, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. jayman419

I don't believe a word of it. He'll bulk up the same way Mickey Rooney did for The Wrestler, the same way every actor does these days.

'Roids, make-up to add definition, a padded suit, and a splash of CG to pull it all together.

August 11, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. CindyHean

Looking forward to seeing his buffness plastered all over the screen in Immortals

August 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Skippy

He is a dreamboat!! I would love to feel his turkey baster filling my ass with homestyle gravy.

August 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jane

Wow...I didn't think Americans could come off sounding any more arrogant and ignorant...but it seems there is one in every crowd. Way to jump the bar Stacey.

August 8, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Beautiful Vixen

Hi Peace, C.C and to the rest of the gang :) ! I'm here Peace, was just chilling and keeping it low for the weekend but I was reading what you crazy people have been writing..lol. Yes..there are some funny comments on here that gave a chuckle or two. Well enjoy the day all and ummm Alecia try and start some more trouble on the blogs so we can get some more laughs..lol

August 8, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Peace

Alecia,Lol! Tisk tisk, shame on you for "ruffling" someone's feathers! LOL! Mad, Nobody caught the spiderman remark, I'm very surprised! Charlie, Your up early! Hope all is well. Which blog are you talking about w/ orange stuff? I totally missed it...hmmm? BV, If your out there, hope your good, too! Haven't chatted w/ya in awhile. Fernace, If you get a balloon, I'll be pist! I didn't get a thing for "2nd"! LOL! Mario, Do you have a suit w/a big "M" on the front??? LOL! (If you don't you should!HaHa) Have a good day all ! :)

August 8, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. charlie crack

ROFL! Just reading those posts had me rollin'. That's great, matter of fact the blog about the "orange cr@p on shore in alaska" still had me crackin' up when I got to this one. Oh my lol.....wow! Hey @prezpeace, @mad, and @alecia.....c-yall manana! Be good......

August 8, 2011 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  14. Agapemio

What the hell, America is on the North American plate, Canada also thus Canada is a North American country not American country, jeez get a map people! You sound as if your IQ is 0

August 8, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. alecia

@John J LOL! How right you are! @Maria yall need to learn to spell in the north end of AMERICA!

August 8, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. wayne66

you guys make americans sound stupid..shut the hell up

August 8, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  17. John J

Remember, Superman isn't an American. He's an illegal immigrant. Not only that, but Kent must have somehow illegally gotten a social security number as he jumped the fence in a meteor. Normally, I would say deport him, but at least he won't be bringing his extended family to live with him LOL

August 8, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. itsamemario

itsa me mario, world citizen at your service..

August 8, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. Maria's Mama

She gets angry when she is hitting the bottle hard. nobody can control tha drugged up boozer i have for a daughter. sorry ppl that you have to see this side of her

August 8, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Maria's Mama

Maria is a brain dead idiot with a fat az$

August 8, 2011 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. G.I. Joe

Excuse*

August 8, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. G.I. Joe

You have to excuss Maria because she seems to be on the rag big time.

August 8, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  23. stacey

hey if anyone wants to get Maria's goat call her an AMERICAN! wonder what she'd say to be called a human being?

August 8, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. Maria

Canada may be on the North American plate but things made here are labelled MADE IN CANADA nice twist on an argument......no Canadian considers themselves anything even close to American. We are CANADIAN....woo hoo
    BTW...we are taught world geography....not American geography.....maybe they should teach you rednecks some world geography, so you can get a clue!

August 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  25. alecia

Hey Peace! Hey Mad! Looky lookey at what I started! Have a good evening! :)

August 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. stacey

@Maria. Canada may be its own country but it is connected to the United States by a continental shelf called the North American plate. Therefore, like it or not and you can keep it by the way, Canada IS an American country. Or dont they teach you people geography in your neck of the woods?

August 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Peace

LOL,Mad! Not much left of w/e, hope it was good! C-ya on the blogs! :)

August 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Maria

Stacey & Joseph....you are idiots!!!!
    Your, American, Superman was created by a CANADIAN!!!! Way to show your typical American Ignorance!!!

Canada is, luckily, its very own and much better country than your sorry ass country.

Canada has its own currency, which if you knew anything, is worth more than your crappy currency!
    Canada also has an economy that was not downgraded by the "Standards & Poors"

August 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob & Doug McKenzie

Oh, Canada, land of skunky beer, weird-looking bacon, and rude snotty people. If you didn't live next door to the US, you would be at the mercy of any third-world lunatic that wanted to take over.

August 8, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. Joseph Phinnell

Yes, stacey you are very correct madame! Teach the idiots!

August 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  30. stacey

@allan you do realize that canada is an AMERICAN country dont you?

August 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Joseph Phinnell

Not a reply button if ur on a phone pr!ck! Jag off!

August 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. The Måd Råp3r

I think this guy will make an awesome Spiderman. Who cares if he's a brit or not?

August 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Turtle

To mr. Dwayne. Them d@mn trolls wont quit. Just let them trip out. I dont believe that person was laughn @ thmslf. From what I read they liked u n suzys remark. Just FYI

August 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mr.Dwayne

Why you trippin'go play in a road some where.

August 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. KikiTheBlack&Beautiful

mr. dwayne I dont know why your joke is funny, your a joke though

August 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jamal

No. Mr. Dwayne I was laughing at urs. Dont jump to conclusions, ask. And, I now ask that u grow a pair!

August 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  37. allan

Im not sure how superman is such a great american hero. He lives in a fake city, was created by a canadian in canada. Doesnt really scream american hero to me. Im very happy mr cavil will be playing the part ,iv been following his career for years and he is a very bright up and coming. Isnt it important that whoever plays the part does it well?

August 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Micheal Lee

@E. How old is your dad?

August 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Paula

Yea get used to a man of 'steel' with an accent if he looks like this guy,I can even help slow down that speeding bullet.

August 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. E. Rector Set

@ Tom T: My Dad watched Superman in the movies in the 1940's so look it up :D

August 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Suga Momma

HOT!

August 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Suga Momma

Two things that I don't mind are his accent or where he was he is as the Fourth of July so that makes him American if it bothers anyone.

August 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Thomas Toliver

@E.I don't think it's that serious.

August 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. emma

Good looking man but I will not be sitting through any movie about a hero in a suit and cape. Sorry, Henry.

August 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. E. Rector Set

For all those who have a problem with me deriding a Briton actor being the Superman don't realize that the character was a media ploy for patriotic reasons for the US during WW2. That is why the character wasn't actors named Schmidt, Yamato, or someone with a English accent. SO, before you type...check your facts. ;)

August 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mr.Dwayne

Jamal you real funny laughing at your own joke haha sister

August 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jamal

Lol. Very good comeback. Wow u two.

August 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jamal

Suzy queue, Mr. Dwayne. Two words. "Bamm b!tch"

August 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mr.Dwayne

@Suzy Queue you told John,two snaps up in a circle.

August 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mad D.

My pop is British and rather cool mom's from NYC and has ADD and OCD I guess it's why they named me Maddy.

August 7, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  51. bev

I think Henry is a Fabulous Choice for the Role. I for one love that he's a Brit! He's also a pretty darn good actor as well. Go Henry, can't wait to see how Incredible that body is going to look. He was INSANELY gorgeous in The Tudors... can only get better!! :)

August 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. sheree

timothy olyphant would be a good superman.

August 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. trademarkapplication2011

It’s been a crazy week for high-profile DC properties – well, not including Green Lantern 2 – as Warner Bros. released sneak peek images of both Henry Cavill​ as the new Man of Steel as well as Catwoman, Anne Hathaway.

August 7, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  54. E. Rector Set

Just what we need, a fat Brit full of hot air with an "S" on his chest coming to a cinema near you...

August 7, 2011 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  55. E. Rector Set

He's slower than molasses, less powerful than a toy train, and can't leap over a crack in the pavement, it's a blimp, a gas bag, it's the Fatman! Fighting for truth, justice and the last slice of pizza!

August 7, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  56. Man of Copper

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi33qezO6Y&w=640&h=390]

August 7, 2011 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  57. Massis

Henry Cavil is a very handsome guy, good luck!

August 6, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lois

I hope Henry doesn't fall victim to the Superman curse!

August 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  59. mia

I agree with Inphinity. Henry Cavill is a pretty good actor. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

August 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  60. RamblinRosie

Is 5,000-calories daily excessive? I can manage that without any issue...of course I can't get my barge of a bootie off the couch and I have to cross my arms over my massize bazooms to be able to ride in the car to cruise the local drive thru's.

August 6, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • jason

5,000 calories a day is healthy IF you eat the right foods and burn it off....your body needs the added energy when building raw muscle mass....professional body builders are typically hitting these numbers year around, and this guy is just doing it for the role. remember, fast food calories while sitting on couch =/= balanced diet specific to building muscle while spending 2 1/2 hours a day at the gym.

August 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  61. guest

I'd hate to use a bathroom after this glutton after he consumes those 5000 calories a day.

August 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

Glutton? Let's see what this guy looks like after weeks of 5,000-calorie days. Glutton is probably the last thing anyone with a brain cell would call him. He's obviously not filling up on junk food, genius.

August 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Tyler

Krypton slipped on who gives a rats a** he isn't and my girl says no matter how much he bulks up cause i'm not faster than a speeding bullet.

August 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  63. MacQ

I too find it a stretch for a Brit to play an American Hero, but am willing to give him a shot. I do not think Brandon Routh has the complete package to play Superman past the first one he was in or they would have used him on this film. Not to mention that I can see why they chose Henry Cavill for this role simply by seeing a slight resemblance to the iconic Mr Reeves from the picture above. Not everyone will be happy with the casting. But don't pass judgement until you see the finished product. just sayin...

August 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You find it "a stretch" for and an English actor to play an American character? Really? It's called acing for a reason; actors play people who the are not. You have a problem with Christian Bale playing Batman as well? How about Australian Hugh Jackman in any of his American roles? Try just a little harder to use your imagination and consider that good actors can play just about anything the script requires.

August 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • SuzyQueue

@John – WOW... Accuse much? You might want to read his post again. He was not dissing anyone. He, like some of the rest of us, would like to see an American Actor play a most precious iconic role that was played by the late Christopher Reeves. Any actor whether American, British or other nationality will always be compared to the actor that made the role famous. Get off your high pedestal and stop being an ass.

August 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Inphinity

Alecia – I thought the same thing, but more because of the tradition than anything else. It would be like an American playing Dr. Who, Ty and I think there would be the same kind of uproar across the pond. The moving of Torchwood to an internation scenario in partnership with Starz caused an uproar, so clearly acting is not nearly as important as tradition. With that said, I say give Henry Cavill a chance. After seeing him in The Tudors, I truly believe he has the acting ability to carry the role and I think we will be surprised and delighted by his performance.

August 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. alecia

@tyler its Krypton, not Crypton, get it?

August 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Kim

Why not bring back Brandon Routh? He looks like Christopher Reeve and he did a great job!

August 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

No he didn't, that's why he is not back! Get it!!! He looked g@y.

August 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Because an actor looks like the FIFTH actor (of radio, TV, and film) to play Superman, he should get the role? Wow, stick to your day job and leave the casting decisions to the professionals.

August 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  67. tyler

What's the big deal alecia SuperMan is from Crypton not Washington get it?

August 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • JimboJones

Yeah, it's "K"rypton. Maybe the Brits could use a superhero of their own right about now.
      America hasn't cared about Superman for 25+ years, anyway. You chaps can have him.

August 10, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  68. alecia

Im sorry I just dont see anyone but Chrirtopher Reeve as Superman. Henry Cavill just doesnt seem like the hero type. And whats the deal with a Brit playing our Man of Steel anyway? Thats not right!

August 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

It's called acting.

August 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

If you were old enough when the first Superman movie was released (though clearly you were not), you might have said the same thing about Christopher Reeve stepping into the role that George Reeves created. Wait, no, George stepped into the role created by Kirk Alyn. No, wait again, Alyn stepped into the roll "created by" radio star Bud Collyer.

So, relax and try to enjoy the new incarnation of a character who has been around for nearly a century.

August 6, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh G. Rection

Anyone can be the Man of Steel. Take 2 Viagra and eat a dozen oysters. Party Time!

August 6, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

You're probly one of those tards that had a problem with Daniel Craig playing James Bond as well huh? Its called playing a role. The less you have in common with the character the more fun and more work you put into it. For example who plays most gay roles in most movies? STRAIGHT people. Justin Long as Bobby Long in (Zach & Miri). Heath Ledger (Broke Back Mountain). And that last one led to one of the best villains in any Batman film. GREAT actors can play anyone anywhere anytime.

August 7, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • God-Leros

He is Dead.
      They would get him if they could.
      But they cannot.
      He is dead. :(

August 7, 2011 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
    • elena

Who gives a crap if a Brit or an american play's a character that wasn't even born on earth?
      your comments are hilarious stupid.

August 7, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
    • CN

regardless, there are two huge obstacles that the movie has to overcome, making one wonder what, exactly, cavill was thinking when he accepted.

1) the role itself is problematic. superman is so overgrown boyscout that audiences really do have a hard time relating.

2) name a good zack snyder movie. that's what i thought.

August 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chazz

A lot of people will tell you Sean Connery was the best James Bond.
      These people are wrong – it was Roger Moore.

August 26, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |