Cowell explains what happened with Cheryl Cole and 'X Factor'
August 5th, 2011

Cowell explains what happened with Cheryl Cole and 'X Factor'

There was a healthy amount of rumor surrounding Cheryl Cole's exit from "The X Factor" on both sides of the pond. First she was supposedly dropped from the judges panel of Fox's "X Factor" because her accent was too thick, and then there was an inkling it was because she didn't get along with fellow judge Paula Abdul.

Days later, the former Girls Aloud songstress wasn't included in an announcement of judges for the U.K. "X Factor" either, although she'd been a judge on that version since 2008. Whatever went down, what was clear was that Cole had been replaced on the U.S. version by Nicole Scherzinger, who joined judges Abdul, Simon Cowell, and music producer L.A. Reid.

Cole has already broken her silence about the situation, and now, during the "X Factor" panel at the Television Critics Association press tour, so has Cowell.

"I will tell you what happened. We produced this in the U.K.…A few of us made the decision that we felt that Cheryl was going to be more comfortable doing the U.K. show than the U.S. show. She was offered her gig to come back to the U.K. [show] but she didn't," Cowell said.

As far as the rumors that Cole also didn't get along with Abdul, he goes on, "Well if it was a question of not getting along with Paula then I wouldn’t be on the show. I just thought that Cheryl returning back to the U.K. would be a good headline. When you have to make a decision as a producer you have to do it. Nicole [Scherzinger] has been a revelation."

For her part, Scherzinger added that she's "honored" to be on the judges panel, and agrees with Abdul that the group is like a big, dysfunctional family.

"This show [feels] completely different," Abdul says. "I never witnessed so much talent in each of the four categories. There are stars that are gonna emerge. Mentoring will be extremely intense. Simon is a completely different species on this show. He has turned into me. He has turned into a pussycat."

Well, perhaps his version of a pussycat. Anyone over the age of 12 can audition for the show, either as an individual or in a group, and the younger contestants "are more lippy than any other contestants," Cowell said. "So I was quite traumatized after my interaction with them...and parents are parents and they go nuts with me anyways."

Of course, Cowell's "X Factor" is far (and we mean far) from being the only singing competition around these days, with "The Voice" being its latest competitor.

"Well we were on the air before them," Cowell says of NBC's hit show. "I think when you watch the show you'll see how we work with contestants and it's very different from 'The Voice'…and I don’t have a problem with 'The Voice.' I like 'The Voice.' You are going to get better made shows when there are more on the air so the competition is good."

But, he goes on, please don't think his show will be anything like "American Idol."

"I wouldn’t have done the show if it wasn’t going to be different," he told reporters. "I felt that the time is now and our job as judges is to find people who have star quality and turn them into stars. This show is completely different from ‘AI,’ even though they are both talent competitions...For the next few months we are going to throw everything at this to make it the very best show."

"The X Factor" premieres on Wednesday, September 21 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

1. mens styling

It is truly a nice and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

June 22, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. JC

So this show it's going to be another version of "The Voice"..? I only watch these shows at the beginning when all these talentless people show up and try to sing making a fool of themselves in from of millions of people, and then when you ask then "Do you think that was good?" they swear for their lives they are rocking the house... But if it's like The Voice, then there is not going to be any crazy people that don't know how to sing, trying to win.. Oh that's hilarious...

August 8, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Elton John

I love it when Simon dresses up like the queen, raises his dress and fires steamy buttSquirts on my face.

August 8, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. RUSHANG PATEL

NICE MOVIE

August 8, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Doodee Pot Pie

You may not like Simon but Im betting his doo doo is delicious.

August 8, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Simon Sez

pete, yeah he makes $$, but he's still an a$$. Stuck up, condescending, snobbish a$$.

August 8, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pete

people hate simon cowell but damn he makes a ton of $$$ & every show he puts on the air gets tons of press & viewers. look @ idol maybe there have been talented people to come from there I don't know but its the number 1 show on tv

August 8, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Simon Sez

Simon Cowell is an a$$.

August 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dope TV

I wish for a day when people could know their limitations and stop watching a group of wannabe lip synchers, judged by a Boorish British Bonehead, and a woman whose voice can fry my radio. Get a life and move on.

August 7, 2011 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. X Factor is GOOD

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53A1QvTMpw&w=640&h=390]

August 7, 2011 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. rEagar4000

Like him , love him, or hate him... Simon is extremely good at what he does. I think he' s dead on 99% of the time. Running a successful business is tough. You have to make difficult decesions all the time. Many times I think people are thinking the same thing as Simon but just don't have the guts to say it. Some of these contestants have been sheltered by close friends and family and told they are good singers. If they really loved them, they would tell them to pursue another career

August 7, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. madhater

She wasn't enough of a whure.

August 6, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. timothy

I iz a ho-mo that loves to get rammed in da poop chute by dat jig-a-boos with big ol beef sticks! Any gayboyz wanna party down and pump me silly? I will be walkin bowlegged for a week after a good ol fashioned pounding!!

August 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Maggie

I iz a chubby lez-bo lookin for some fun. I iz butch and like da lipsticks so I can pound dem pretties in da pooper with my monster strap-on meat stick! C'mon all you hot lil chicas...let's get bizzy!!

August 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Maggie

Get your facts right! Cheryl has maintained a dignified silence. She has NOT made any statements. Only Cowell keeps blathering on about this. Anything reported as coming from Cheryl has been fabricated by the tabloids and trash mags!

August 6, 2011 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. hmm

I will get this for Tracie to poo on

August 6, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. timothy

ItisirritatingthatyouthinkwedontknowwhomCheryliwedlongbeforethisshowwaseverconceptualoize

August 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Amy Crackhouse

Yawn.

August 5, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lisa

Simon Cowell stab Cheryl in the back, WOW Simon what a way to treat a friend? Cheryl must have got the shock of her life when she went to the U.S. to find it was all a game. I WILL NEVER WATCH X FACTOR U.S. Simon you are a HORRIBLE person. from a proud American fan of Cheryl

August 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alex

I care, I want to know why Cheryl Cole is no longer part of the show. Simon really screwed up

August 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. fernace

Yet another non-explanation! Neither Simon or Cheryl have even come up with a plausable excuse, so I get it! We're not gonna get the truth! Just let it go, on with the show!!

August 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. \\\Kitten

Who cares what happened. Cheryl is no longer a part of the show so let's move on. I like Nicole and Paula and am looking forward to the new show without Cole.

August 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ah ha

Paula should bake him some brownies

August 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. gomez addams

They're saving a spot in the hottest corner of Hell for this stuck-up twit. I'd like to see him in "Celebrity Death Match" with Gordon Ramsay. With any luck, it would be a draw and we'd be rid of them both.

August 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Junkpile

Ah yet another show for mister personality...... spoken in a droll English accent..." you performance was boring my dear simply boring , maybe you should go back to your job as a scone baker you talentless twit " ya gotta hand it to the guy he has such heart......

August 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

You can sign up for another talent show.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObDkFlOXZl8&w=640&h=390]