Coldplay pays tribute to Amy Winehouse
August 4th, 2011

Coldplay pays tribute to Amy Winehouse

Coldplay paid tribute to the late Amy Winehouse Wednesday night during a concert in Los Angeles to benefit the Grammy Foundation. Proceeds from the evening will support high school music education programs through the Grammy Foundation's "Grammy in the Schools" charity.

During the band's encore, singer Chris Martin surprised the audience by slyly launching into Winehouse's signature tune, "Rehab." The British quartet then segued into its own 2005 hit, "Fix You."

It was a poignant moment as the crowd sang along with Martin on the chorus, "Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones, and I will try to fix you."

Somewhere in the stands, Lindsay Lohan held up a lighter. CNN spotted the troubled actress entering the stadium with her younger sister, Ali. "I love Coldplay!!!!!!!!!! W/ my sis : )," Lohan tweeted. Minutes later, she reiterated the sentiment, only this time with just one exclamation point: "Coldplay!"

As for the band itself? Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion stopped off for the gig at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on their way to Chicago, where they'll be headlining Friday night's festivities at Lollapalooza.

Two new songs from Coldplay's upcoming fifth studio album were broadcast that night on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" - "Charlie Brown" and "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall."

Kimmel was in fine form, first poking fun at Martin's English accent ("None of us understood what you just said, but thank you, Chris"), then turning his attention to the audience ("Boy, there are a lot of white people here. It makes me nervous.").

The show was also part of the "Samsung AT&T Summer Krush" concert series, where fans can enjoy free tickets to such headlining acts as The Band Perry (Dallas), Bush and Chevelle (Chicago), Lenny Kravitz (New York), Cee Lo Green (Orlando), the Avett Brothers (Atlanta) and One Republic (San Francisco).

1. learn hypnosis

It's the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this put up and if I may I wish to counsel you some interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I desire to learn more things approximately it!

July 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. clonazepam

Fancy read, I'm loving the photo at the top, gives it a warm clonazepam feel to the site!

March 31, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Justin Bieber

What do you think Amy regrets more, overdosing or having Coldplay play her tribute?

August 5, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • bkbroiler

go comb your hair – you are a nobody – there will be NO tribute for you -

August 6, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. GetSomeLives

Its pretty sad to see so many trolls all the time on these comment boards...

Amy Winehouse was no legend by any means – but her music touched people in alot of different ways – Her personal life may be one of wrong choices and decisions, but sitting here and trolling behind a computer while you make your crappy 50k a year is pathetic.

If you had any brains you'd realize both Coldplay and Winehouse were British...and the concert was for the Grammy foundation (both Coldplay and Winehouse are Grammy winners) ..put 2 and 2 together.

trolls.

August 5, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

Thank you! You expressed that well. I am digusted at these comments! It makes me wonder what kind of people make comments on CNN. One thing is for sure, a bunch of disenchanted people with mediocre lives.
      The world lost a great talent. I wonder what these same bloggers said about other artists of great talent. I cried about Freddie Mercury as I did for Amy Winehouse. I cried over Michael Jackson as I did for Elvis. Some artists simply do not get old. We have to accept that and be thankful for their music.

August 5, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. WhatDoYouKnow?

Frist off, all of you Coldplay critics can shove your "talentless" comments. Whether you wanted to or not, YOU couldn't do 1/8th the songwriting, guitar/drum playing, singing that Coldplay (or probably any other band) do. If you hate them so much, why waste 20 seconds of your life to read the article? And another 2 to comment? It amazes me that people who have no idea what goes into being a very successful band can just slag said band off. If you don't like their music, fine. But don't call them hacks, talentless, horrible, pretentious, etc. because they're not.

I was there at this show. They are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds of bands live. So, until you've actually experienced it, stop being the little kid who hates things they've never tried.

August 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

Good for you! I find many of these comments about ColdPlay and Amy Winehouse to be unintelligent sarcastic crap.
      I read this story because I was pleased to hear that a band of ColdPlay's stature paid tribute to Amy who in my opinion was an amazing talent. I became disgusted at reading the comments that have nothing good to say. Why do these creeps read the story if they hate these musicians...I do not get it. What a sad place to make such nasty comments.
      It is so very childish.

August 5, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Vince

Know how I know your gar?

August 5, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Karen

That's awesome!

August 5, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bates

One horrible band playing tribute to another horrible artist. Something evil was born on this day because of this event.

August 5, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • DisgustedByNastyBloggers

Evil is in the eye of the beholder....your eyes are likely to be on the evil side...that is my guess.

August 5, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. deb

How'd they pay tribute? By getting sloppy wasted on stage and refusing to go to rehab?

August 5, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. PeterD

Congrats!! Amy Winehouse has now been sober for 13 days!

August 5, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Layne

Harsh. Hilarious, but harsh.

August 5, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

Thanks for the timeline on her death...as if none of us know...the funny part is that you are so into Amy's timeline
      Mmmmmm, now what does that say? She made music history... more than you will evey make in any way....

August 5, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Ballson Chinn

Too soon?

August 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

Lol! Awesome...

August 5, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. bmull

Oh well. It's the thought that counts.

August 5, 2011 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. TJ223

Sorry, but Coldplay sucks. Overblown, pretentious production of vapid attempts at music.

August 5, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Fan

Rome Ramirez does a better tribute to Amy Winehouse. Look for it on Youtube. Much better than this crap.

August 5, 2011 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. me again

Low Rate British Pub Band plays tribute to even Lower Rate British Pub Crawler

August 5, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. NW Wgnbrnr

That's rich. Artists that steal from others pay tribute to artists that destroy themselves all the while another artist, famous for destroying as much of herself as possible, is in the audience. Well, on the bright side, at least some money was given to charity.

August 5, 2011 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. Johnny

Nice. A turd of a band paying tribute to a turd of a vocalist.

August 5, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. merge

a whiny band i don't like paying tribute to a singer who couldn't stay clean. seems right.

aw was a junkie, not a legend. stop worshipping self-destructive people. she made some good songs. she'll be forgotten in a year. one hit wonder. it's sad her family lost more time with her as a person.

August 5, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • CNNMeanBloggerSniffer

Merge....you are wrong.... Amy's music will not end up as one hit wonders. If you really knew her music, you would know she did 2 successful albums, written by herself. Her music is selling extremely well at the moment, so I am sure she actually reached more new fans than she had before. Her talent was genious, and there is music that has not been pubished which hopefully will surface. Who made you judge and jury huh?

August 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mary

I had never heard of a.w. until she died. I have watched some of her performances online. My youngest is older than she is. I see and hear her and just want to hug her. She needed so much more love than she ever got. My daughter liked her first album, tells me it is a classic. I think these trophy bands don't need to capitalize on her legacy. People will find her and her legacy will be established.

August 5, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  19. ArizonaYankee

Cold Play, good band, bad choice. IMO, Winehouse was a drug head dweeb. She brought everything on herself. So now she is some kind of heron (no pun intended). Very disappointed in Cold Play....

August 5, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark McKee

Lamo band trying to milk the situation. Almost as tasteless as the jerks who do Live Aid Farm aid "let me get publicity I couln't buy" festivals. almost....

August 5, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  20. jimmyd

wow. a band without any talent gives tribute to a singer without talent. fitting.

August 4, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. John Dockum

They should; every concert of theirs in a "whine house."

August 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Peacefulguy

Just what we needed – a talentless bunch of commercial crap musicians paying tribute to a legend. Now doesn't that just make them important.

August 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimmyd

a legend? really? did you say a legend? are you 12 years old?. arethra fracklin is a legend, diana ross iis s legend, carole king is a legend, so is carly simon, linda ronstadt and janice joplin and ella fitzgerald and i can go on and on. i betcha ya think britney spears can sing also?

August 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • lance

"talentless"? I've seen many great performances and Coldplay at the Gorge was right up there with the Boss, The Who, and U2

August 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • merge

coldplay will never be on par with the boss, u2, or the who. what's their "born in the USA"? yellow? what's their anthem for peace? U2 has "pride". "baba o'reilly". try to match that with a coldplay song. laughable.

August 5, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
    • fiskenmann

Really? I got a legend for you!

August 5, 2011 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • TJ223

Amen! Coldplay is the worst!

August 5, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Buster

Winehouse became a legend when she joined the 27 Club. She never got to finish her song, so we will always wonder what she could have become. She might have hit the skids and fizzled on out, or she might have dried out and written a song that made the audience's eyes bleed and had them sobbing uncontrollably and throwing away their liquor. We'll never know

August 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LBW

Chris Martin comes across as pretty cold to me. I'm amazed that he did that tribute, but I am glad. Amy Winehouse was a great singer and she deserves people to note that.

August 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. alecia

What? Nothing on LiLo, JLo or any of the other Hos-opps I mean Los of Hollywood yet today?

August 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ana L

I hear Kim Kartrashian has a hemmoriod, that should be popping up in the news any minute.

August 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sphincter Knot

I'm going to start a cover band that pays tribute to coldplay paying tribute to winehouse. I will call the band: cold wine play house. don't be jealous.

August 4, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |