A first look at the new 'Man of Steel'
August 4th, 2011

A first look at the new 'Man of Steel'

For those wondering how the new Henry Cavill would look in the iconic Superman suit, wonder no more.

Warner Bros. Pictures released the first image from the upcoming "Man of Steel," starring Cavill in a new version of the Superman saga, now set for release on June 14, 2013. The movie boasts an all-star cast, including Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane and Kevin Costner.

First photos tend to set the tone for the film and judging from this, Zack Snyder's film could give us more of a brooding version of the Son of Krypton (perhaps not unlike the recent trailer for "Amazing Spider-Man").

The image draws a lot of attention to his cape, and - at least based on the way the photo is lit - the suit is less colorful than we're used to.

One thing is for sure, he's definitely not wearing a shirt and jeans like some images of the new version of Superman in the comics in September.

What do you think of this first image? Are you excited to see the "Man of Steel" back on the big screen in two years? Share your view below.

Filed under: movies • Summer movies

1. Tarah Nicoli

Thanks for any other informative site. The place else could I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal method? I've a undertaking that I'm simply now working on, and I've been at the look out for such info.

August 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sony SLT-A77

Your article is nice, I read your article to learn a lot and hope to see your next article, look forward to your masterpiece on marquee.blogs.cnn.com

June 9, 2012 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. Appliance repair Newport Beach ca

Its Pleasure to understand marquee.blogs.cnn.com. The above articles is pretty extraordinary, and I really enjoyed reading your blog and points that you expressed. I really like to appear back over a typical basis,post a lot more within the topic. Thanks for sharing…keep writing!!!

June 6, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. refrigerator repair CA

This article on marquee.blogs.cnn.com is bookmark worthy in my opinion. It's worth saving for future reference. It's fascinating reading with many valid points for contemplation. I have to concur on almost every point made within this article.

May 16, 2012 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. plans for local marketing

Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

January 20, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. kaufen Testosteron

Seine Lust zu verstehen, marquee.blogs.cnn.com. Die oben genannten Artikel ist ziemlich außergewöhnlich, und ich wirklich genossen lese dein Blog und Punkte, die Sie zum Ausdruck gebracht. Ich mag erscheinen wieder über eine typische Grundlage post viel mehr innerhalb des Themas. Dank für das Teilen ... weiter schreiben!

January 18, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Octavio Daigle

Excellent blog here! Also your web site a lot up very fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink in your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

December 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eldridge23

Theres no question on the matter. For a long time we had Christopher Reeves to look up to as Superman, they stuck with him and now we got a new superman who I might say also bares a striking likeness to reeves.

But to change it up so soon will inherently destroy the whole idea of this new movie. yes we need a new and better movie. No we don't need a new actor or change anyone else it wont matter to the viewer.

It would be like changing Christian Bale in batman. not happening the public has excepted the he is batman. same concept we excepted that Brandon Routh is Superman.

Then change any other actor we won't mind, they did it in the dark knight with Rachels character we didn't care all to much so change Lois Jimmy anybody but Brandon Routh.

November 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bumbleweather

I liked the original series with Christopher Reeve. I liked 'Superman Returns.' I'm sure I'll like 'Man Of Steel.' The problem is that when you see Hollywood running out of ideas and doing re-boot after re-boot, your expectation gets lower and lower for the story-writing. Everyone expects a boost in special effects funding, but I think people are getting tired of the shock and awe tactics of Hollywood, and want to be assured that they're gonna get good acting and a decent storyline for the bucks they shell out at the local theatre. And so, people will continue to pay to see mediocre or really bad movies, just to see if Hollywood has gotten over the last 15-year brain fart and has hired some decent story-tellers. Harry Potter is a good example of a great story being set to film. I hope the 'Man Of Steel' that they counted all of their ducks before shelling out the cash. The image? Looks cool. People shouldn't bash one image of the flick this early before its release. Good luck to everyone at DC. Hope this turns out well.

September 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

I agree with other comments on here, Christopher Reeve's shoes are pretty big to fill. Brandon Routh did a decent job in Superman Returns. Not sure why nothing further happened in that direction.
    Don't know anything about Henry Cavill. He may turn out to be really good. But, all these reboots on top of reboots speak of a lack of imagination. Why couldn't they continue the adventures of Superman, instead of re-making the wheel..... yet again?
    I'm sure we will all suck it up, because Hollywood will fill this thing with fantastical special effects and "A" list actors.
    My overriding opinion. Let's see something new and original for a change. Something REALLY good that wlll make me want to plonk my tail in a cinema seat and mortgage the house for a cola and a sack of popcorn.

September 19, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pa que tu sepas

el colchon esta afuera del aeropuerto.

September 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Asashii

There is only one Superman and thats Chris Reeves ,on screen Superman died when Reeves did pure and simple.

September 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charlotte

Sooooooooo tired of remakes. Has the creativity gone out of Hollywood? What about imagination? Where are the original ideas? Something new? Superman is Superman no matter who is in it.

September 7, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Agreed. It would be nice for something original to pop up in cinema. Kinda hard when there's so much source material that can be done over and over again. I gotta say I do miss the times when everything was new. I mean even most new dramas and romances are based off best-selling novels. I'm a geek so I'll take as long as it has solid writing and good casting.

September 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. T

Good Super-hero movies are hard to come by...after all with the glut of movies coming out, very few are film-library-worthy. Green Lantern wasn't that great but not that bad – it was so-so – it should have been better, Thor's a little better and Captain America was the slam hit of the summer just like Batman's Dark Knight.

We need better writers who can tell a story instead of just cropping up a comic book character and picking out the same old supervillian and having them beat each other up.

This new Superman movie has him going up against Zod with Lex in the mix as I understand – Again ? Supes need a new supervillain, something that can make him sweat hard like Darkseid with his minions of Apokalips.

Maybe they should just reboot Green Lantern completely w/ a new cast and have him team up with Green Arrow – the original hard traveling heroes, or make a superhero buddy movie like Booster Gold & Blue Beetle of the JLI or Marvel's Power Man & Iron Fist, or have a classic hero like Captain Marvel using the storyline from the classic book, "The Power of SHAZAM" graphic novel or have a ensemble group like the J.L.A. or J.S.A. in a movie trilogy storyline with a good script/plot.

September 7, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. mac

as a comic book junkie i love to see them makeing more superhero movies. With the avengers on the way im excited to see them delve deeper into American mythology. I reserve judgment on the merits of each movie so that it can stand or fall on their own. I hope the new superman rocks I still wish that they would have turned smallville to the big screen Tome welling was awsome and the writers of smallville understands the superman myth and stayed true to form. I cant wait to see what the future holds for my beloved American mythology. I wuld like to see the thundrcats undertaken their is a trailer on u tube that makes this idea look awsome with a great look and an allstar cast. You haters need to learn to enjoy the movie experiance for what it is.

September 7, 2011 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. 会尽快

梵蒂冈价格已经

September 7, 2011 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. Erik

I felt Brandon Routh did an excellent job as Superman. And Kevin Spacey made a brilliant Lex Luthor. Why can't they bother maintaining any kind of cast consistency? If you want to change director/writers, that's fine if its what the franchise needs. Now it feels like a reboot of a reboot. I'm not going to bother seeing this movie. Or the new Spider-man for that matter either.

August 30, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

For Superman movies, this is probably the first reboot. Superman Returns were just continuing Christopher Reeve's Superman. *tear drops* I'd rather see a fresh movie with Superman and hopefully a worth villain to against him. As far as Spidey, I'm looking forward to this version. Nothng against Tobey, but he did good in his own way. The only thing is that he just didn't feel like Peter or Spidey. Well, that's a story for another day. lOl

August 31, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Allyson

And if it doesn't work out, they need to pass the torch onto the Smallville cast! Tom Welling & Michael Rosenbaum were the BOMB!

August 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jodey

Henry Cavill as Superman? SWOOOOOOOOOON!

August 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Liana

All I can say...hoorah. About time Cavill get his spotlight. He should make a good Superman. Lets just pray the script and direction actually are half way decent. Gah...Hollywood are you every going to brainstorm again?

August 23, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. Ted

I don't like his hair. This haircut makes him look a little insane. Trim it down on the sides.

August 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Duni

He doesn't have the air of innocence look that Clark is supposed to have... He could probably play an evil dude better then a super hero... or maybe a replacement Batman so that he can brood. And from this picture his muscles look plastic. He will probably do a good job, but there is something about his face that doesn't scream Super Hero.

August 18, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  23. anita

Hello dearest, my name is ms anita.
    Nice to meet and hope to make a wonderful friendship with you because i
    Hope we shall also meet in Heaven Where friendship never ends.so therefore write to me [ anitadeby79@yahoo.co.uk] more about your hobbies directly because i have something very very important and fundamental to share with you and also i will send you my photos, also i strongly believe that A precious friend is hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.” thanks once again and waiting for your soonest reply
    kiss from [ anitadeby79@yahoo.co.uk ] hug for Love.

August 17, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. dc mortimer

Christopher Reeve will always be the real "Superman" .

August 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  25. ScarletWitch

I think the picture looks fine. I would like to see a more down to earth, grittier Superman, and also would like to see a Superman not always trying to deny his feelings. That just gets old and tired all the time. For other movies there are tons of characters out there where it would be nice. Personally I would love to see a Scarlet Witch and Vision movie but don't think that would happen anytime soon. I liked Green Lantern. I can't figure out the hate some folks feel for it. Looking forward to the next one in that movie installment (if they make it).

August 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

I like the Green Lantern, but the plot was its ultimate downfall. It should have had more purpose behind it and even though that was the intention it was just.......eh. CGI was obviously the highlight of the movie, but that was about it.

August 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. KajinPL

He kinda resembles George Segal's version of Superman now that I really look at him.

August 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Nighthhaaawk

He looks a helluva lot better than the last guy.. although the effects of the "Return" were really well done. The scens where Superman is just causally flying overhead at dusk in Metropolis to me was extremely realistic. Coming from New York City, the fantastic idea of a flying man overhead just being taken as another ordinary day to the citizens of the city rang so true to me. Give Mr. Cavill a chance – he looks the part and the costume designers got rid of the ridiculous plastic "S" of the last manifestation.

August 5, 2011 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. brokenteeth

I'm sick of Super hero movies . Give it a rest Hollyweird.

August 5, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

Not a chance. Too many people love comic books. Therefore, Hollywood will try to capitalize. All we can do is just hope it's good and not just brainless action. lol

August 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kazz

Zack Snyder and Kevin Costner = NO. Chris Nolan = YES. Superhero reboots = STOP.

August 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  30. nick

Who else would have the Ba- to wear their short on the outside other than superman. Go Superman

August 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Marcus

The suit looks great (love the cape). But the man in the suit does not look like a credible Superman.

August 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Pat

Christopher Reeve is Superman period!

August 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dave Willis

I sure hope this reboot will be far far superior to the boring Superman movie by Bryan Singer. That one was just totally wrong!

August 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. soggynode

They should start the comment board apocalypse and cast the Justice League.

August 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. JD_COM

Pleated cape? Scaley looking suit? Also not a big fan of the hair. I like Henry Cavill in the Tudors but visually this image turns me off to the movie. Hopfully some more pictures will clear up my misgivings.

August 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Wanda

Can Hollywood please stop making all these SUPERMAN and BATMAN movies!! There was and always will be one man to play Superman and that's Christopher Reeve!! May he RIP!!!

August 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  37. HipHopHippo

What this series needs is an archvillain that would provide some physical challenge to Superman. Sure, Lex Luthor is the brain to Superman's brawn, but given what can be done with CG these days, I want to see a villain like Doomsday come to life, just as it was epic to see the Hulk face off against Abomination in the Hulk reboot (even though that also wasn't a great movie). There needs to be a great story in place, regardless, but let's give Superman something to punch rather than stopping planes from crashing or hauling large masses of rock from the ocean.

It's the same reason why I want to see Apocalyse in an X-Men movie. Or why I wanted to see a "real" Galactus in the horrible Fantastic 4 movies.

August 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bryan

I sure hope it's better than Green Latern.

August 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. rob

Wow nice seein a brit as our countrys original super hero. What genius casted that crumpit

August 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Superman fan

Really pumped for this! Great cast, and great director w/ Christopher Nolan involved. Looks like a win win.

August 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Red Pison

I hope this movie doesn't end up like Superman Returns or worse yet, Green Lantern. I actually want Superman to succeed.

August 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jae

No it's will smiths son. Jada. At least the producers or anyone in this country is not playing the race card when they casted the great SuperMan

August 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jae

Let take a guess before I see the picture. Actually I will take a couple. My first guess, jet li? No? Ok, Chris Tucker? No? Ok, Jackie chan? No? Ok I am out of asians. Will smith? No? Malcolm Jamal Warner? No? Lil'bow wow? No? Man who could it b since we all have the same opportunities in the country that's better than Any others? I give up. Wait, I know, Denzel Washington. That was stupid of me! Gosh. Good luck Denzel

August 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  44. AesopsRetreat_Forum

This is the Socialists way of destroying all old heroe's.

August 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. John

He did an excellent job as Charles Brandon in the Tudors series. Glad to see him landing a major role.

August 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. AesopsRetreat_Forum

I am disappointed in it already. Does that tell you anything?

August 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  47. AesopsRetreat_Forum

This is all WRONG.... The new Superman should be TOM WELLING ....!!

August 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nighthhaawk

UH..NO! .. While Mr. Welling was ideal as the young Clark in "Smallville" – face it his build does not fit the adult "Man of Steel"! – as evidenced in the final episode of the series – his build is more suited to the Flash!

August 5, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  48. Thinkabout

Write, develop, and produce your own ideas.

August 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  49. GW

Superman is suppose to be the beacon of everything right, not a dark type character. This guys sure doesn't look like Superman, he looks like a bad guy in his suit. I hope this movie makes it though I really do.

August 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Noname

A jedi could crush him easily. Force grab, lightsaber throw, dead. And that's without a little green rock. Next!

August 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superbear

Superman uses light sabers to shave his invulnerable beard.

August 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Junkpile

....and trim his invulnerable pubes for the ladies.

August 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • msamland

Only if Jedi powers are under the category of "magic powers" would they work against Superman. And don't forget that he would be too fast and strong for any Jedi to catch or hold him.

September 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  51. TheBabbler

I support this idea. I want to see this pretty bad. I hope they make this one of the most bad-ass super hero films to ever exist.

August 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Superbear

At last! A masculine looking man playing Superman!

August 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Curtis E. Flush

He looks lie a d-bag. Not the superman look at all. The only thing this movie has going for it is Christopher Nolan is helping produce it.

August 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Brian

A dark brooding Superman is not the way to go..His character has been the ultimate good guy/paladin of the comic book heros since the begining. If they darken his image and add angst and doubt he is then no different then Batman or Spiderman or any of the other dozen heros. If he starts killing and crippling villians then they have lost their minds.....A redux is in order indeed...but not if they fu#k up the whole character.

August 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brewtus The Almighty

First impression I don't think he's the right fit. But its completely hard to judge by a photo. I'll wait and make my final decision after I get to see the movie. Superman is fictional character that is ultimately perfect. Maybe we should get a politician to play him.......HA! I just sprayed milk out my nose on that one!

August 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cameo35

...................Hey ! Superman hair is receding.....!

August 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. soggynode

I'm not thinking the whole costume thing is working in 2011. Batman's black suit (minus the cape) looks more like a tactical uniform than a costume so it kinda works today. Superman, Captain America and Wonder Woman's all have the same problem – cheese. I think all three should follow the Captain America model and stay retro where cheese works.

August 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Bhoss

tsss tsss... Superman? I'll have the soup... tsss tsssss

August 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  59. p

If it's better than the last movie..then yes I'm excited. If it's not, then what a WASTE!!

August 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  60. We Want an American Super Hero

DC Comics announced 2 months ago that Superman renounced his US Citizenship

Therefore I renounce my life-long following of Superman

August 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jeff

as long as zack snyder is not allowed to write any of the screenplay, this movie may have a chance. SUCKER PUNCH WAS THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!

August 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Sucker Punch was terrible, but I LOVED that film. The soundtrack was awesome, and the video-game-like action scenes were great. That film was a glorious mess. lol

August 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  62. matt

Enjoy the show everyone.

August 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Steve

The "Superman" in the t-shirt and jeans isn't Superman at all. It's Conner Kent, superboy.

August 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Peggy

Henry Cavill is PERFECT for this role. Hasn't anyone seen the Tudors? Seriously, this guy is gorgeous and can act. On top of that, in his interviews, he seems very down to earth and humble. I love this man and I will definitely see this movie because of him.

August 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Yes I have seen the Tudors, and just because you like him doesn't mean the rest of us do. I have never considered him handsome, though his acting is ok.

August 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Char

Lawrence Fishburn as Perry White? Doesn't fit.

August 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jess

I think Henry Cavill is perfect. Seriously, just watch an interview of him. He is seriously innocently charming and humble. He also has a confidence about him as well. On top of being very good looking, he has all of the personality attributes that superman does. I'm glad he is a lesser known actor. He is brilliant in The Tudors and seriously...he was supposed to be the last superman before brandon routh, do the research folks. Just because he isn't a big name actor yet doesn't mean he won't be good! I think they picked the perfect guy! Finally hollywood has casted a MAN! Not a "boy"..he actually has hair and can grow a beard! Good luck wth everything Henry

August 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

He is meh looking at best. He's not ugly, but he's not handsome either. He's not even cute. Brandon Ruth was much better in that department.

August 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. AJ

Henry Cavill is a good actor (and he fits the part physically), and the rest of the cast is also very good, so I'm looking forward to this one. It may be a bomb, but we'll see. "Superman" seems to be difficult to create a story around without it being corny in some way, but many superheroes are like that. Hopefully, this time around, this incarnation will live up to the Reeves films.

August 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. VonDoom

This movie is either going to rock or just suck in every possible way. I'm skeptical because of the casting decisions; passing on Viggo Mortenson & Daniel Day-Lewis to play the lead villain is hard to understand. I'm sure Snyder will make it look cool but is it going to have substance. The people who make comics are generally allowed to put their own spin and Superman has gotten dark at times; maybe getting as far away from the Brylcream Superman is a good thing. Superman is one of the most sacred comics out there and most of the movies are pure desecration; this is going to be a tough sell.

August 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Kevin

I think Jonathan Rys Meyers from "The Tudors" would make a very good superhero. He should also be troubled and slightly insane, would be a nice touch, I think.

August 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Eric

It looks nice, yes. But I find it really stupid that these are different actors. It SHOULD be the cast from Smallville. They want to be in a Superman movie. And if not them, then it should be the cast from Superman Returns. Not ANOTHER cast so early.

August 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Dean

Wait a minute...this guy looks nothing like Obama!

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. KajinPL

The image does peak my interest and I can't stand Superman as a character. Besides Superman II and Smallville (which I'm still surprised I liked) there hasn't been anything worth the interest. The downfall of Superman Returns was the plot overall. Brandon Routh was a decent Superman and possible could've been better than he was, but they tried to follow too closely in Christopher Reeve's footsteps to the point of impersonation. So yeah. The image does make me want to see more of this just to see what direction it goes in this time around. I'm not quick to judge so I'm gonna just wait and see.

August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Brett

Two years? In two years we'll be knee deep in the next great depression. They'll be lucky to sell enough tickets to break even, assuming it ever actually opens.

August 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  74. yoyo

I don't know what you guys are talking about, ain't nothing wrong with the costume. What do you expect? Something like a X-men movie leather jumpsuit? That said, the problem with the last SM movie is that it was too silly, too comedic, and too cartoonish, just lIke the last two forgetable efforts with Chris Reeves(the first two being the good ones). Exactly what most fans do not want.

August 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Roland

The last guy wasn't that bad. The movie just sucked. Why not step up the movie and cut the gimmicks. Superman 1 sucked compared to these graphics. I'd watch it anyday over this crap.

August 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Truthwillsetyoufree

Its sad that they did not use the guy from Smallville. He is absolutely THE SUPERMAN...

August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Bemused

No dis to Cavill, but he isn't Tom Welling, who has a proven fanbase as the Man of Steel, so meh...

August 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Cavill is a really good actor, better in my opinion than Welling (by a small margin). Welling just doesn't look as mature to me, though he did a good job on the series.

August 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  78. What a flop

Let me guess, the plot of the movie will be "Superman flys to another planet to save the big blue indians"

August 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Tom

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman

August 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • We Want an American Super Hero

Geoprge Reeves is Superman for those of us obviously older than you

August 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Clark Kent

Seeing as they made Spiderman black/hispanic, I wouldn't be surprised if they replace Lois Lane with Lewis Lane.

August 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Betsy

Henry Cavill is a great actor. I've watched him in the Tudors and The Count of Monte Cristo and I cant wait to see him in this.

August 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Melissa

There are only two people who were ever worth Superman. Christopher Reeve, and Tom Wellington. Most definitely NOT some guy with a random hairline and barely bordering on remotely handsome.

August 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Superbear

Christopher reeve was a skinny, nerd looking guy. People need to get over him as "the" Superman, he is not.
      Welling I liked, even with the duck lips. I don't think he wanted to play Superman anymore.

August 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  83. really?

Superman is a boring character. Too many ridiculous powers and the catch all "danger" to him is one object that MUST be had in order to defeat him so its always the only plot point.

August 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  84. hunh

Wow what a large forehead you have... I guess Superman is a daper dan man.

August 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Supedudy

Da supy gey fwy rel fadst sawe dey go by twee

August 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jake

Just another remake...what is up with this current crop of H"wood writers? Are they incapable of coming up with fresh ideas for movies? Take a look and see how many remakes are in the works...and not just movies....TV as well.

It's not very creative.

August 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  87. ken

Superman is neither The Dark Knight nor an anti-hero. For Superman to really work and be Superman, there has to be some of that idealism, unabashed heroism and "always tries to do the right thing" about him. As hokey as it seems, Superman should not be shoe-horned into apeing the new Batman franchise in hopes that it "plays" better. Nothing about this new guy rings true. I'll reserve my opinion, because he deserves a chance and has some big shoes to fill, but I have zero interest in seeing any type of revisionist anti-hero or brooding hero film where Superman is concerned. If the reviews indicate as such, I'll just stay away. Hoping I'm wrong!!

August 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Damn right. I do not want an emo Superman. He is supposed to be a hero, not a dark hero or an anti hero, a plain old hero. Let him be handsome, charismatics, charming, strong, and let him stand up for whats morally right. Give us a hero. Someone people can look up to and idolize.

August 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bemused

Tom Welling played the "boyscout Superman" better than anyone. How writers could conceive of a brooding Superman is asinine. It's doomed to failure.

August 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jess

What in the world people, have you never seen Henry Cavill work?? He is beautiful and talented. He will make a great Superman, British or not. I myself, was not happy at all when I heard they were making another new Superman, but then when I found out they cast Henry, I was beyond thrilled. Good for you Henry, I can't wait for you to prove all the nay-sayers wrong!

August 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  89. j

"Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Laurence Fishburne, Diane Lane and Kevin Costner."

oooooooooo wooooooow! A bunch of hasbins!!

August 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Melissa

What do I think? I think I see a receding hair line. Wth?

August 4, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Marvin Portnoy

The only clear, logical choice is Tom Welling as the Man of Steel. He proved his mantle of the role, and his acting ability improved very well from one season to the next. He certainly was a favorite of Chris Reeve a few years ago.

August 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Boo. He's a pretty boy, but not much of an actor. Routh was the best Superman ever, except for Christopher Reeves, imo.

August 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  92. RoadRunner, Albuquerque, NM

...Kina pudgey, isn't he? He looks like a Republican in a plastic suit, kind of oozing at the seams, after a bad day on Wall St. And what's with that "do?" Is this a vampire movie, or a hero movie? Apparently, Americans get the two confused these days.

August 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  93. So?

Jesus is portrayed as a European white (even though he was Aramaic) So why can't the man of steel be a brit?

August 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. OhNoTheyDidnt

OMG – I am so disappointed

August 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Alex

Best movie I've seen this year wasn't a reboot, or a remake, or a franchise film. It was Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen. Not even a typical Allen fan but that film was fantastic. I fear soon all films will just be remakes, reboots, and shallow franchises.

August 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Yuck. You need to see more movies. Maybe a few that aren't made by pedophiles.

August 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Woody Allen himself, much less any movie by him.

August 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  96. David714

I thought Brandon Routh had a good Superman/Clark Kent look, why are they not using him?

August 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Jeff

Many will call this ill-informed, but I could care less about his suite; I'm still having difficulty getting by the fact that they chose a Brit to play an iconic American role. Not that I'm an Anglophobe, I'm not by any means, BUT, I believe that certain roles should go to certain people. African Americans would have a issue (and rightly so), with a European American in the role of Frederick Douglass. Likewise, European Americans would have issue with an African American playing, say, Abraham Lincoln. So, why are we so willing to accept a Brit playing an American role - not just ANY American role, but SUPERMAN!? Can you imagine the firestorm if an American was cast in the role of James Bond? So, I have no intentions of seeing the movie, let alone care what the suit looks like.

August 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Superman is not Frederick Douglas nor Abraham Lincoln. Superman is not real dude, and what he looks like is completely up to the artists portraying him. Plus, there are tons of Australian and British actors in American films...so? They're just actors.

August 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ras Fred

Superman wasn't American – he was Kryptonian. I can't believe they picked an earthling to portray him.

August 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Q

Great, looks that Pauly guy from Jersey Shore gets to be the new superman :(

August 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Damian Hopkins

Superman truly returns.

August 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  100. name

Does anyone know if they are planning to ignore Superman Returns, as far as the kid goes, or is superbaby now a permanent part of these films?

August 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  101. DonkieHoatie

Looks like a rubber suit. Will he bounce if he falls to the ground?

August 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  102. NC828

Not understanding the politics behind it – or maybe not wanting to believe it – why should I care about the Superman character any longer since in the upcoming issue of the comic he is going to the United Nations to renounce his American citizenship. No longer will it be "Truth, justice and the American way." Will it be "Truth, justice and all that stuff" or "Truth, justice and the way of the United Nations." In any event, goodbye Man of Steel, it was fun knowing you.

August 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  103. kingofgrills

Actually, the image looks better than I thought it would. The suit is spot on to the comics, especially with the larger shield and furrowed cape. However, Superman needs a new hair stylist. That dew is a bad throwback to the 1950's George Reeves Superman, and that is not a good thing.

I am looking forward to seeing Superman get back on the screen. With Chrisopher Nolan overseeing the project and Zack Snyder's visual flair, I am hoping we will finally see Supes roll up his sleeves and kick some @ss in a solid film. I liked the first two Christopher Reeve films, and even Bryan Singer's continuation, but it's time to move on.

August 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Clark Kent

Looks computer animated.

August 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  105. JOE

A first look at the new man of steel...Happy Birthday President Barack Obama. Yea, you defied the odds to become the 44th President of the United States of America and so far, the best President ever. Yesterday you looked like a little fragile and vulnerable kid sitting on that beach in Hawaii but all the time, God was at your side shaping your future and your destiny. And Mr. President, God will be with you as our nation celebrate your victory in 2012. Mr. President, you're a true man of steel and the best American President there ever was. Mr. President, new man of steel, America loves you.

August 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

What the hell are u smoking obama lover

August 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Best President ever??? I laughed so hard when I read that statement that I nearly fell off my chair! I don't know what world you're living in, perhaps Krypton, but in this world he's the absolute worst President this country has ever had. He's even out-Cartered Carter!

August 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Junkpile

What's wrong with you guys??? Don't you recognize sarcasm when you see it........sheesh.

August 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Mike

Like the costume, but another reboot means the same tired, old story: Krypton exploding, the Kents, meeting Lois Lane, Lex Luthor or General Zod, blah, blah, blah. We've seen that. Give us a new story with a fresh villain.

August 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  107. fairlane

Have to agree with svann, he does sort of look like Reeves from the 50's. To answer the Marquee about the photo, its too distant and dark to say how he portrays him.. Even on my 19' monitor, its not a good photo.. Maybe a close up? ;)

I'm not too happy that Laurence Fishburne is playing Perry White though, but that's the purist in me. I'm sure he will be great, I just don't understand why Hollywood does that. Oh well....

August 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  108. jdog

does ANYONE have an original idea anymore, re-hash, re-hash, re-hash...

August 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

Tired comment. You realize people have been saying that since film began, right? You know how many Tarzan, Lone Ranger, Topper films they made? There's nothing new about rehasing movies, and there were several guys who played Superman before Christopher Reeves.

August 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

This is not a tired comment, have you even seen how many superhero movies are made these days? If anything is overdone its this genre.

August 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

I just meant that they've been recycling movies and storylines since the very beginning. I agree that the economics of making films doesn't lend itself very well to quality, because with dvd and pay-per-view sales, there aren't very many movies, even terrible ones, that don't make their money back. That encourages studios to release more films rather than good ones. So there are a whole lot of terrible films, but not just because the stories have been told before. A retelling can be good. Ben-Hur, for example, was a remake.

August 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  109. ionymous

Is that a cape or a freakin' tablecloth?

August 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Me

Actually, with the lighting he looks like Bizzaro Superman to me.

August 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Fonz01

Obama should play Superman. Every liberal thinks he's here to save us & the media protrays him as a super hero.

August 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Go spout your mindless drivel somewhere else. This is the entertainment section moron!

August 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

Do you go to every topic and cry in the comments section?

August 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  112. 0ldmanjenkins

Woah! What’s up "glass half empty" people!

I for one am happy to see the ongoing popularity of superhero flicks! Green Lantern was a HUGE disappointment, but hopefully they'll address in the next one. DC has some great characters and I would like to see them get it right with Man of Steel. I think the still is a good start! I like the cape and I really like the more prominent "S". The colors are bit dark, but I think it could work. In the books, he’s comical goof as CK, but when he’s Superman, it’s all about getting the job done. I think that’s what the still portrays! Who knows, it could suck….we’ll have to wait 23mos to see

August 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Michelle Wilson

Should have been cast with Tom Welling.

August 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashes Crumble

Of course... But I think Tom Welling needs to seperate himself from the Clark Kent/Superman persona if he wants to havea diverse acting career.

September 8, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  114. Dawn

I was thinking the same thing @RP stated. There isn't much color, it has a Batman vibe to it.

August 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Harry

Suddenly, George Clooney as Batman doesn't seem so bad anymore. This looks horrible. I hope they rethink the suit or I will not be seeing this in Theaters.

August 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  116. steverock32

I thought the story line was really good in Superman Returns. The airplane scene was awesome! Of course, a fist fight with Lex luther wouldnt have lasted very long, I was hoping for a good fight scene like the downtown fight scene in Superman II. Need more fists flying. The pretty boy, perfect saint personality has to go. Make him an ass kicker.

August 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Born of the Atom Smasher

The last dude who played superman fit the bill a little better. Instead of making another superman movie they should focus their energy on putting out this justice league movie. I mean, Marvel now has the Avengers in the public eye, DC needs to up its ante with Justice League. Or make a new Flash movie first.

August 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  118. svann

Hairstyle seems like a throwback to the 50's version of the Supes.

August 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Ann

It looks like the same costume Tom Welling wore on the Smallville finale, except he looked much hotter in it than Cavill

August 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Mike

I would hope the film has darker elements to it. I think the reason the last film failed so miserably is because a) it was too 'light,' and b) 'Smallville' was still on the air. A June 2013 release will give it plenty of space from the 'Smallville' cannon.

August 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  121. richard

Mitt Romney is Superman!!??

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Harry

This suit looks absolutely HORRIBLE! Ugghhh... this just made me not want to see the movie. Its probably going to be worse than the last one.

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Bruce Wayne

I want violence

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Dagster

Bring back BRANDON ROUTH!

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Colorgirl

I agree! He was perfect. I think Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane is what made that movie tank. And the story line with the kid. He was the best since C.R. Himself.

August 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coined

THE LAST SUPERMAN MOVIE DIDN'T TANK – I have heard people say it was THE. BEST. MOVIE. THEY. HAVE. EVER. SEEN. While I wouldn't go that far, I do think it was nothing short of amazing. Even the end when superman lifted the entire island made of kryptonite was good in its own way (though I've heard people say it went against everything superman). Let's not have any more ridiculous talk about the last superman tanking or what not because it was definitely top ten worthy.

August 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Crazy Old White Woman

Why does everyone have to be so negative? We should be happy for Henry Cavill. He has come a long way in his career & deserves this opportunity. He's done more than any of you have. He will be laughing his way all the way to the bank. Good for you Henry.

August 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ami

He's only 28, how crazy is that? The guy has serious talent. The Tudors is a great example of that.

August 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  126. mb2010a

I can't wait to see Cavill's buns of steel...hope they show him naked.

August 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  127. The Jackdaw

Aren't there other super heros? Aren't there other types of action movies that dont contain superheros? Marvel is the only one benefitting from all of this.

August 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

Self correction, Superman is DC comics, not Marvel, but I maintain tha twe have seen him before. Maybe this time Superman will not be morally bankrupt anyway.

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MOCaseA

That is because with Marvel most the super-heroes were though up, designed, and owned by one person (Stan Lee) where-as DC heroes come from several different individuals and it is there-for not only more expensive, but in some cases impossible, to gain the rights to portray the heroes in a movie. DC has had it's share of the big-screen, but frankly there are more Marvel super-heroes than DC, and the Marvel super-heroes are constantly evolving. DC stagnates until sales drop off and then drpos some sudden evolution in order to capture the minds of the next generation.

August 5, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  128. Ronnie

ITs actually a fairly accurate and negative comment about the last Superman movie that the best part was THE KID kicking butt since Superman was the same tired old crap.

August 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Chris

They should have kept Brandon Routh.

August 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • xjdavid

I agree. Routh was awesome, although the film as a whole was terrible.

August 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say What

I agree 100%. Brandon Routh was perfect in the roll, even if the movie itself wasn't all that great.

August 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  130. alecia

Why do I get the feeling that Henry Cavill is going to be to Superman like George Clooney was to Batman? Sorry. Just dont see it.

August 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  131. TheWordMaster

I actually LIKED the last Superman movie...especially the part where the kid crushes the one bad guy with the piano.

August 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christa

That was about the only part of the movie I liked.

August 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Oh that was an abysmal film. Superman did nothing the entire film but stand around like he was blessing people with his presence. Sorry but I want Superman to punch things. Kevin Spacey was horrible as Lex too. Nothing good to say about that. I'd watch repeated viewings of Superman III before I'd watch that garbage again.

August 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • MOCaseA

I dunno Rich... I though Spacey was the best part of the movie. Lex was never some flippy off-beat guy as protrayed by Hackman, but a very astute, introspective and calm person as portrayed by Spacey. The fact that he is also highly insane is the only thing keeping him from ever being a "good guy." I think Spacey actually hit the nail on the head in his portrayal of Lex Luther.

August 5, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  132. steverock23

I hope they get away from that fruitcake Superman they had in the last movie and give us some REAL ass kicking in new one. Good plot and story are a must as well.

August 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  133. blackrabbit

Batman is supossed to be dark, his background story is dark, he works at night, his suit is black and his base is a cave. Everything about it is dark. Superman should have some violence, I would like to see some death rather than cheesy power rangers graphics, but making him dark wouldn't fit

August 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  134. striker

Spiderman is now a half black / hispanic? Stupid, completely stupid. If isn't broke, why try to fix it.

August 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • YouMissedSomething

Peter Parker is still alive and well as Spiderman in the main Marvel Universe.

August 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ

Bro, Henry Cavill is neither black or hispanic. Google the boy before you comment and sound like a total Tard.

August 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Problem with comprehension, Striker?

Marvel has two primary comic book lines (not counting the First Class series, or MAX)- the Ultimate Universe, and the classic Marvel Universe. In the Ultimate Universe, Wolverine, Magneto, Professor Xavier, Cyclops, etc are all dead. Peter Parker, as well, died, to be replaced by Mike, the new Spider-Man. The Ultimate Universe has always been more drastic and free about deaths. It is NOT the primary marvel universe.

In the classic Marvel universe, Peter is alive and well and Spider-Man.

August 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inphinity

Black/Hispanic.... Really Striker? Actually, actor Henry Cavill is a british actor. I did not like the idea at first, as Superman is an American icon, however, after watching Cavill in The Tudors, I do believe he has the ability to pull this role off, including the "look" and I am hoping that this photo release was just poorly done graphics. The real question... can he pull off the sound of Superman? Hopefully, he is as gifted as actor Hugh Laurie in "putting on" an American accent!

August 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • sd

Henry Cavill is playing Superman not Spiderman.

August 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Spiderman, in the comic book realm is revealed to be Hispanic/Black in a recent release of a Spiderman comic. As Seraphim0 mentions apparently there are apparently 2 "universes" now in the Marvel canon. The reference is to the character in the comics, not the Spiderman of the upcoming movie.

August 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hey DJ

The man deffinately said SPIDERMAN, not SUPERMAN was now a mixed race individual. Read the comment before you make a dumb mistake like that again.

August 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  135. SuperFan

Your right Christopher Reeves left a big cape to fill,I don't think this cavill has the look of Superman his kinda small. Why does every hero movie have to be dark now,just because Batman was.

August 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Nichols

Image itself looks pretty neat. The suit looks drastic, but I am curious to see how this one plays out as we have Zach Synder from 300, Sucker Punch, and Watchmen directing, and we have Christopher Nolan from Inception, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight as writer and producer on this film. Granted it seems everyone is on accord that Christopher Reeve was and still is the Superman, however, we should look at this not as the one to best it, for it was those Superman films that partially inspired Nolan to make the Batman movies we see today. If we look back to Nolan's work, it can be safe to say that he would like to make this Superman believable, if not relatable, just as he did with Batman, and just as Richard Donner did with the Christopher Reeve Superman. If you are concerned about Synder's directing, remember that while his films may not have been too deep in story, Nolan did hire him, and so Nolan does feel that he can count on him.Perhaps it was Synder's visual style that caught Nolan's attention as fitting for Superman.

August 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  137. DeeL

Haha...Firston Howell the lll...congrats...Hollywood is hurting for good writers and will soon be crating movies from cereal anytime soon...sad state of affairs...Jesus loves you guys!

August 4, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  138. Nick

I hope this one is dark and has some deaths

August 4, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  139. Name*Franny

Looks OK to me....hard for anyone to follow Christopher Reeve ...hope it isn't as disappointing as "Superman Returns". I like DC heroes more than those of Marvel; but, I wish DC could make super movies as well as Marvel.

August 4, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Nathan

they did only once and that was christopher nolans The Dark Knight.

August 4, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  140. Danny York

Does anyone even care? Seems like Hollywood is really running out of super hero movie ideas. Green Lantern was suppose to be this summers big blockbuster. Green Lantern. What a joke.

Now they're even rebooting superhero movies such as Spider-man which came out only ten years ago. Seems crazy, but people are stupid and will pay money to see this. And movies about board games like Battleship. Give me a break

August 4, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Green Lantern was supposed to be the blockbuster? Are you kidding me? With Captain America and X-Men: First Class, GL wasn't meant to be the blockbuster. I don't know who was predicting that outcome, but they had their head in the sand.

GL was a 'fun' movie. It was entertaining. It wasn't some piece of cinematic masterwork- nor was it meant to be; that much is obvious by the script alone.

August 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mamapedia

If you want new movies talk to your congresscritter and get them to repeal some of the idiotic copyright laws they've put in place over the last few years. Right now, copyright is 120 YEARS vs the original 14 years when copyright went into effect.

There are no new stories coming into the public domain for the studios to work with – they're all locked up under copyright, so you're stuck with them rebooting material they already own the rights to.

Get used to it, or change it.

August 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ck1721

Personally, I'm glad they are starting over with spider-man and superman. The cast of Spider-man were terrible for the parts (Good actors, but did not fit those roles well), and superman had a terrible plot. Green Lantern was never a huge character, so who would think it would be a blockbuster? I agree with you, though, that Hollywood has run out of ideas, and they are just giving us Nostalgia. Give me more new stuff like Inception.

August 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Checkfirst

You're one of the idiots who his trash talking about Battleship because it's got the same name as an old board game. Obviously you haven't seen the trailer. The movie features a Battleship and the name is the only thing is has in common with the board game.

August 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jam1977

I agree that they are running out of ideas. As far as Spiderman... the reason they released another one is becuase Sony had the film rights to Spiderman and Marvel was wanting to get them back at the end of the upcoming term so Sony decided to crank out another film to suck as much money out of the rights before they loose them to the people who actually CREATED Spiderman.

August 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • really?

They took "battleship" and said, les make a movie based on this and get a cookie cutter plot. Whats your point?

August 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • frank

Danny,

Did you really just say "does anyone care". Of course we care. Its Superman! I live about 20 miles from Metropolis, Illinois. The town's entire economy is based on Superman. Superman has a place in our DNA as American's. This has nothing to do with other lesser super hero characters and little to do with movies at all. He is Superman. He stands for the American way. Asking if anyone cares is like asking if we care about America. If you don't care perhaps you can go live in North Korea or something.

August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curious

Was the Green Lantern in the movie supposed to be Guy Gardner? Because I do remember him being black for the most part in old comics and the JL series

August 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Josh H.

this guy looks like a d-bag to me

August 4, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • manny

lol

August 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

He is perfect. You are just jealous they didn't get some puny little beta male to play the part who was never an athlete. Plus they kept the character white and straight like it should be.

August 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

You do know that Superman IS a dick, right?

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • nino

@J: Yea you have to be plenty straight to get into a skin tight red and blue spandex suit with a cape... yup.. straight as an arrow.

August 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

He's actually a very good actor, and I think he's perfect for the role. See the movie before you judge. ^_~

August 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Nathan

the only reason i think this movie will fail for me is that Cavill does not have the face to play neither clark nor superman. The only thing that he has for this part is the muscle.

August 4, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • jess

I could not disagree with you more. Henry cavill is by far the most perfect choice since christpher reeves. Watch an interview with henry and you will see why they chose him! He is gorgeous dark hair blue eyed, in shape and above all very humble and charming. If that isn't superman...I don't know what is?

August 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

He doesn't look all that muscular to me and his biceps look "plastic".

August 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Marble

Looks kinda like George Reeves' head on a blowup superman doll. If this is the image they choose to release, I'm not looking forward to seeing the stuff that didn't get use for promos. This guys a good actor, but he doesn't look the part. (At least it's not Ryan Renolds.)

August 4, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • oleal

okay so the image is meh, but I will agree that he doesn't look the part, as bad as the brandon routh script was, he pulled the character that reeves built quite well, cause lets face it every person wearing that shield will be compared to the original Movie actor.

September 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  143. RP

Less colorful? They just decreased the saturation of the image for artistic effect. Crank it up a couple notches and the whole image will look normal...the suit too.

August 4, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Blah

Yes well we are talking cnn entertainment writers. Do you think they do much research?

August 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  144. clizzy

I would rather see that than some stupid young vampire lookin satanist! Clap clap bravo! Clap clap bravo! This is for the haters who hate us cuz who we follow!

August 4, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • kidchrist

Tedashii. They don't know about that :)

August 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Unless you worship "Superman" as a god, your faith has nothing to do with this article.

August 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Homer

I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!

August 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • clizzy

Jesus is god even demons know this! My faith has everything to do with anything.

August 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Marble

This superman that you worship is a false god. Praise Thor!

August 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Am NOTW

If any of yall like Hip hop, yall should check out these rappers who rap for Christ!!! Pro, Tedashii, Lecrae, Ambassador, Stephen the Levite, Trip Lee, This'l, Muzeone, Da Truth, Mali Music, Swoope, S.O., Shai Linne, KB, Flame, Brothatone, and Ackdavis!! :) Romans 1:16

September 13, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  145. portalpunk

When I woke up this morning I sure was FIRSTY!!!!!

August 4, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

That's worth listing on your resumé as an accomplishment... :-P

August 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leroy

So you woke up at 11:33 AM and this is what you did? Do you work?

August 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • BD

Did you feel a little retarded too? Because i kind of get that from you.

September 9, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Graval

Gives portalpunk a hug and pat on the back. The others are just jealous ;)
      But I think Superman would have beaten you.

September 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |