'Friday Night Lights' producers 'serious' about movie
August 3rd, 2011

'Friday Night Lights' producers 'serious' about movie

In the grand tradition of defunct or soon-to-be-defunct television shows aiming to spin the story into a feature film, "Friday Night Lights" is vying to be the next project.

Executive producer Peter Berg (who directed the original "Friday Night Lights" movie) told E! Online that he and fellow EP Jason Katims aren't joking around about trying to get a film based on the TV series off the ground.

"We're writing a script. We've been meeting with Jason Katims the last couple of weeks," Berg said. "We have a real good script idea. We want to do it. We're very serious about doing it and we intend to do it."

As of now they're working on having the movie pick up where the finale left off. "We're hoping to bring Kyle and Connie back and some of the other characters, and introduce a whole bunch of new characters," Berg says. "We have a really fresh, very original take on it...We're very serious about wanting to do it."

So while the story may stray a bit from the show in order to make it up on the big screen, the exec added that they're going to keep the same heart.

"We would figure out a way of getting back to our original roots," Berg says.

Filed under: movies • television

1. Jason Street

Best. Series. Ever. They shoulda just continued the series in PA. No need for the movie.

Why did Lyla dump me?

August 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Peace

Hey alecia! My thoughts exactly! I already asked Mad, but, where is everyone???

August 3, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stephanie

Duck Butter... The first Friday Night Lights movie was the story of a real high school in Odessa Texas not a fictional one.

August 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. alecia

Oh good! A movie based on a tv show based on a movie! Genius!

August 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sue

I've accepted the end of a wonderful show. FNL will always be one of my favorites (and I'm 40+), it was casting magic and a reminder of why I love football – not NFL football where it is ALL about money. I still love the game, nice to remember there is a world out there that still loves football too. Not sure I would go to a movie trying to pick up after an excellent ending, bowing out with grace.

Clear eyes, full hearts.....

August 3, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Duck Butter

Ummm, wasn't there already a movie called Friday Night Lights? About a fictional Highschool team from Texas?

August 3, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Seth

There was a movie, but it was about the real school Odessa Permian in west Texas. I don't know for a fact, but I think the movie was based on a real story.

August 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Say whaaat!

Wasn't this already a movie to begin with?

August 3, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |