'Playboy Club' star: Show is about empowerment
August 2nd, 2011

'Playboy Club' star: Show is about empowerment

“The Playboy Club” still has over a month to go before it premieres, but its cast and producers are already defending it.

The NBC show, featuring plenty of scantily-clad actresses, is about the women who worked at Hugh Hefner’s famous Chicago club as bunnies in the '60s. Critics (including The Parents Television Council) say the show is too sexual and is setting women back, reports E! Online.

But according to "The Hollywood Reporter," those involved with the series say that the controversy is misguided, because the show is actually about female empowerment.

“These women were using so much more than [their bodies],” cast member Naturi Naughton says. “It’s empowering, because these girls were smart, they’re going to school, they’re buying homes, property – things that show what women couldn’t do at the time, using resources and relying on themselves.”

The network also wants viewers to know that many former Playboy bunnies have gone on to great careers and noted a range of them, from journalist Barbara Walters and model Lauren Hutton to rock star Deborah Harry, at the Television Critics Association press tour.

“I have yet to meet an ex-bunny who is disgruntled about her experience,” notes one of the show’s stars, Amber Heard.

Judge for yourself when “The Playboy Club” premieres September 19 on NBC.

1. Gmack

None of the women who worked at the Playboy clubs were forced to work there. I'm guessing they wanted to be bunnies and wanted to be noticed. It was their choice to work there and they could choose to quit. I hate when people unnecessarily make others out to be martyrs.

August 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stacie

I was a bunny in the 60's. They had rooms where we could take the high rollers to earn a good tip. The amount wasn't discussed ahead of time but a beej could get you a $100 tip which was a lot of money back then.

August 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basturd out of Carolina

Stacie. I bet you could make an even bigger tip for doo doo eating. How much did you earn munching down hot turds?

August 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cindy

Empowerment, right. They use their bodies to get the blood flowing to mens "brains" so they can snag a sugar daddy. You know all men think with their "brains".

August 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

@ AnaL, Lol! Hilarious story! But actually Barbara was a hottie back then! Anyway, the story is cool & funny, so I'll "flow widit!! ";-)

August 3, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

What was empowering in the 60's is not necessarily empowering today! Why do you assume they hooked up with their customers or Hef? Maybe some did, but from what I remember reading about this, they had very strict rules & had to comport themselves with respect! I think this show will show young women today, what we've had to overcome to be treated as equals in society & the workplace! I'm looking forward to it!!

August 3, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Disgruntled Playboy

There are better examples of how women overcame adversity don't you think? This is kind of the worst case scenario, n'est pas?

August 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jen

I would have watched the show, but now that i know that guy is married to UGLY HORSEHEAD RIMES... One can only hope he has an affair with one of his co-worker Bunnys and destroys their marriage and she stops taking pictures of herself and GIVING them to the tabloids....

August 3, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. ned

That black chick is pretty hot. I would like to pee in her mouth.

August 3, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Disgruntled Playboy

Empowering? The girls wear bunny costumes and serve drinks to men and I'm assuming sleep with their customers as well or at least with Hugh Hefner. How empowering. Don't blow smoke up our rears. If you really wanted to make a show about female empowerment, these bimbos are probably at the bottom of the list. And if this does turn out to be a male bashing show like Mad Men then it will just be another pointless fantasy where female characters are smarter than the men who demean them. I give it half a season. That said, Amber Heard is hot!

August 3, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. george

I have always wanted to be a playboy bunny too.

August 3, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. fernace

I've secretly wanted to be a Playboy Bunny, & now it's not a secret anymore! There's no Playboy Club either! I loved those costumes with the ears & the tail! So cute & kinda s.e.x.y. too! Oh well, I guess I'll watch the show & live vicariously!!

August 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. itsamemario

im glad i dont support nbc with viewership and therefore will not be paying for this to be on the air. besides my support is going to the walking dead and the new tales from the crypt series returning to hbo..

August 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peace

Barbara Walters was a playboy bunny???

August 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • forsure

that was my first thought too!

August 3, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Ana L

Yes, it's a known fact. Barbara Walters was one of the first bunnies, except in her days, they were called Playboy Foxes. But even back then, Babs had saggy ta ta's & had to hop over them, so Hef decided they would now be called Playboy Bunnies

August 3, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sure

It's about empowering women so they can form a vibrant, sustainable community and embrace diversity.

August 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marie Soto

http://jmjewel.com/entries/marie-soto/ VOTE FOR ME <3

August 2, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jujubeans

You mean all ex bunnies still have their gruntles?

August 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Tyler Mitch

Mad Men,Play Boy Bunnies and Pan Am stewardesses sorry I don't think the 'Sixties' should be revisited.

August 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Måd Råp3r

Oh look its a Mad Men clone with(probably) worse writing and without Christina Hendricks smokehouse body.

August 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hugh G. Rection

First to say I will be first to turn the channel to this show!

August 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |