Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet
July 31st, 2011

Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet

The plot is nothing new, but, with leading men like Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman, we can't wait to see this weekend's "The Change-Up."

The two men make the fateful wish to switch lives - one trades in his playboy lifestyle for that of a family man, and vice versa.

Here's what else is happening this week:

Sunday:

• It's finally here! Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" kicks off its annual week of exciting - yet educational - programming at 9 p.m. ET. Don't forget to check out our interview with Chief Shark Officer Andy Samberg.
  • To celebrate the 30th anniversary of MTV, VH1 Classic is airing a marathon weekend of the network's programming, concluding with the first hour of its 1981 launch Sunday at midnight.

Monday:

• Lady Gaga is performing and acting as a co-host on "The View" at 11 a.m. ET. The pop star is expected to sing her latest single, "You and I."

Tuesday:

• Greyson Chance - the talented kid who kicked-off his career with millions of YouTube views - releases his first album, "Hold On 'Til the Night."
  • There might only be 12 episodes, but you don't want to miss catching up on season 3 of "United States of Tara." Toni Collette is hilarious in the award-winning show.
  • The movie based on surfer Bethany Hamilton's inspiring story, "Soul Surfer," comes out on DVD. Carrie Underwood also displays her acting skills in the summer flick.

Wednesday:

• Since leaving the "CBS Evening News," Katie Couric will head to daytime TV on "The View."

Thursday:

• With all her success, it's still a surprise that Pia Toscano didn't make it further on "American Idol." The singer will promote her new single on "So You Think You Can Dance," which will also feature Christina Applegate as a guest judge.

Friday:

• "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," a remake of the 1968 original, stars Freida Pinto and James Franco. Between his TV guest roles and other movies, 2011 has been a busy year for Franco.
  • It's opening in limited release, but, if the trailer is any indication, "The Whistleblower," starring Rachel Weisz, will showcase an effortlessly stunning performance. Check to see if it's in a theater near you.

1. Beautiful Vixen

I was only on Friday night. I spoke my mind to one troll but I didn't go on for the rest of the weekend. Aww sorry to hear. Sometimes it's better that you ignore them and don't say anything because that's what they want. They also know that you stand up for us. Sorry to hear about all the drama. You are a nice guy. Well ttyl :) In class but on break.

August 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. charlie crack

Actually @BV- I'll try to explain. I don't ever try to be mean to anyone. I only started for @prezpeace may 1st after osama was gone. We chatted and all you ladies (@ms fernace, @alecia. And of course prezpeace became like people I stuck up for like I would a sister or fam). Why? Just cause I don't like women talked to like some do. (Not that yall don't hold your own). So, I apologize for anything I might have said that made any of you angry. (if I burn in he!! for it all so be it). Be good........

August 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. charlie crack

@BV- I really apoligize. :( I had a mad troll that tried to spew hateful things bout' fam, I went off (temper got best of me, what can I say, i'm a loyal, protective person). Have a good night!

August 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. itsamemario

have any of you checked out Attack the Block on youtube yet? its ok ill wait..
    Also if im not mistaken Pias biggest claim to fame after AI was dumping her non-famous boyfriend for a DWTS guy. Such a j-lo move..

August 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Beautiful Vixen

Hey Peace, Charlie. What happened over the weekend?

August 1, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Barnaby Jones

I liked "Beneath The Planet of the Apes" the best. It was the one where they sing and pray to "The Divine Bomb."

August 1, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cletus

Cars 2 is a sequel to Cars

August 1, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. tom

Rise of The Planet of the Apes is not a remake, it is a prequel. BIIIIIIIIIIG difference.

August 1, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • noooooooo please

It IS a remake. There were more than one POTA movie. The effects may be better, but I'm disappointed there are so many remakes. Hollywood, how 'bout coming up with some new $h!t?

August 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. charlie crack

I'm good @prezpeace, not even fazed. Have a great day, everyone else as well....be good

August 1, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Peace

Good am all! W/e over, new work week upon us. :( @ Michael, That's funny, I also agree. The only thing I heard about Pia, after AI, was she dated a guy from DWTS. Success! LOL!!! Hope everybody is well, especially, you, Charlie. (Saw all the crap over the w/e. *sigh*)

August 1, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. itsamemario

@alecia too right, i love Dirty Jobs.
    As for the new planet of the apes prequel, im spending my movie money on Attack the Block. youtube it people, you will not be disappointed..

August 1, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
  12. alecia

I dont know about anyone else but Shark Week just isnt Shark Week without Mike Rowe. Sorry Andy.

July 31, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael

"With all her success, it's still a surprise that Pia Toscano didn't make it further on 'American Idol.'"

What success are you talking about? You seem to have confused being pimped with being successful.

July 31, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hollyworld

The end is near for Rosie O'Donnel already!
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtIX90JmQ2s&w=640&h=390]