The Broadway lights dim on 'SYTYCD'
July 29th, 2011

The Broadway lights dim on 'SYTYCD'

Really, I was just happy to know he made it this far.

Thursday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" marked the end of the road for Jess LeProtto, as voters rallied to keep Ricky in the competition (which once again goes to show that the voters can and will change their patterns late in the season).

Jess was definitely one of my favorites, the best Broadway dancer we've seen in the history of the series. Even so, it had to be an uphill battle for him to make it all the way to the top 8. When he spoke to reporters on Friday, however, he disagreed that he might have had an especially hard time.

“For any type of special genre dancer, like me, I think we get the kind of same respect because we are different," he said. "We’re not currently on the show every season, and then our genres pop up. I feel like I’m a part of it now. I want to bring back my old-fashioned style.”

The other dancer eliminated was Jordan Casanova, whom I called yesterday (though I was wrong to think that Sasha would join her in the bottom). The rumba she had with Jess was lacking in chemistry, which turned out to be the final blow (and Nigel Lythgoe implied that she had the least number of votes among the women).

“I’m proud of getting this far by doing every genre but my own,” Jordan pointed out, saying that she was especially proud of having done two waltzes, having never performed in the ballroom style before.

It made sense for the judges to eliminate the one with the fewest votes - I don't know why it isn't purely based on the votes at this point. I'm also not entirely sure (even reading Nigel's tweet on the subject) that Jess got the fewest votes, since they also had high praise for Tadd, whom I can see going to the final four.

At the end of the day, all Jess really wanted was to make his idol Gene Kelly proud of him: "I hope he’s looking down from heaven, proud of me for bringing back a style that’s kind of been forgotten.”

As for the actual show itself, I will agree with Nigel that neither of the girls' solos was up to snuff, and Tadd's was the only good one.

Despite the excitement of seeing season 4's Mark coming full circle on the "SYTYCD" stage Lady Gaga's performance was not nearly as good as her turn as a judge.

LXD, on the other hand, were their usual awesome selves. And was that season 7's Ashley we saw joining them? (Yes, yes it was.)

Congratulations to Tyce Diorio for a group routine that I could have sworn was by Mia Michaels...

So, do you think it was time for Jess and Jordan to go? Which four do you think will go to the end? And most importantly, what are you doing for National Dance Day? (Submitting an iReport, I hope!) Let us know below.

1. Michael

Susan Jones – Wow, Tanya this is photojournalism at its best! You've told the story butlaifeuly. And having seen some of the pictures in their more raw form, I LOVE the way you have cropped them! I never would have realized what a difference that makes!

August 11, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bee

Personally, i liked Jess, but i think Ricky worked his butt off to be where he is. Although it's HIGHLY unlikely he'll make top 4 (the judges have favorites) i think he belongs next to Marko, Melanie, and Sasha.(Because we all know Caitlynn iis going home next week, right?)

August 3, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. big fan

I agree – how about voting on choreographers, too. It does appear a big factor for the voting public revolves around whether they connect with the music chosen as well as the choreography. If choreo gets bottom vote, for instance 3 x a season,(can't restrict to one bottom ratings as everyone has an 'off'day and they don't get to choose the dancers), don't invite him/her the next season. ALSO, would love to see dancers guaranteed early one one dance in their genre on the show. Would love to have seen Jess in one Broadway number this season! Random draw caused us to miss out on that.....!

July 31, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Canadian girl

Jess was amazing and I am really sorry he is gone. I love the show, because it is great to have dance on tv again, but without Jess, there just won't be as much zing. I don't have a clue what the judges are thinking or doing anymore and it is frustrating. Ricky really should not have moved on after Wednesday – he was not good/ He is sweet, but too one note.

July 30, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pam

Do you know why Mia hasn't been on SYTYCD at all this season? And where is Adam Shankman? Thanks.

July 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Luka

Th judges have been inconsistent with their results. I think they're trying to manipulate the results to make sure the dancers they want make it to the finals. Now once again we have all contemporary dancers except Tadd. As for Mia's absence she's choreographing Adam Shankman's film. Her presence is missed–I think she's the only one who would have the courage to critique Melanie, who, good as she is, has some weaknesses. Every dancer has something to work on.

July 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. comment

i completely agree with you roscoe. i also think that the show purposefully gives the dancers they like the better choreographers.

July 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Roscoe Chait

I see a pattern where dancers are heavily criticized or voted off after trying to cope with poor choreography. How come the choreographers aren't voted off?

July 30, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Eleanor

I agree with you 100%!! Some of the choreographers (and costumes, which also have a lot to do with the aesthetic appeal of a dance) are so terrible that the dancers don't have a chance. :(

July 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kathy

Where is Mia Michaels this season. I remember reading that she would be back choreograhping this season...thank gawd she wasn't on that judging panel again...but I do miss Adam Shankman.

July 30, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Barbara

Although I was not crazy about his personality, you jus can't ignore the fact that Jess is a totally fantastic dancer. I hope he has much success in his career. I am completely sure that his father is just bursting with pride.

July 30, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

I'm right there with you. He really had to grow on me, and I'm glad that he stuck around. Seems a lot more humble and a lot more genuine in his dance.

July 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Adrianne

I really thought Ricky would be the one eliminated. I wasn't terribly surprised about Jordan although I thought Caitlin would go the previous week. I agree with the comments – Melanie was a standout even in the auditions. No one will forget that flying leap she made Wednesday.

July 30, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

I was surprised that Jordan was eliminated before Caitlyn ... I liked them both but I thought Jordan was the better dancer

August 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dd

Melanie will win!
    Come to National Dance day at Museum of Dance in Saratoga Springs,NY !!!

July 30, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. logan

The final 4 will be Melanie and Sasha, Marko and Tadd....The winner will be Melanie Moore.

July 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |