Gaga judges 'SYTYCD'
July 28th, 2011

Gaga judges 'SYTYCD'

Lady Gaga's turn as a "So You Think You Can Dance" judge on Wednesday night did not disappoint. In case you weren't sure she was there, she towered over the other judges in a pair of impossibly high heels when it came time for standing ovations.

I feel a little bad for "Chicago"/"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" director Rob Marshall. He did a great job critiquing the dancers, but he was completely overshadowed by Gaga.

On the whole, the guest judges this season, other than Carmen Electra, have really impressed me. Aside from the occasional off-color aside, Gaga proved to be a perfectly competent judge, and is undoubtedly a fan of the show, having used season 4's Mark as a featured dancer on her tour.

Between the all-stars and pairing up dancers, there were 12 routines in all, and most of them blew me away.

First, can I just say that Allison Holker may be the best dancer to come from this entire show. She just gets better every time, and when you pair her up with Marko, as Sonya Tayeh did - well, for one thing you get waterworks from Mary Murphy and Gaga. This was one of the best routines I've ever seen on the show.

I'm a little puzzled as to why I can't quite join the judges in their rapturous praise of Sonya's other routine, with Melanie and Sasha. It was perfectly well-danced, but it was also a little too robotic for my taste. I didn't connect with it at all, sorry to say. It certainly wasn't take-off-your-giant-boots-and-throw-them-on-the-stage good. (Cue boos from the audience.)

The choreographer who was firing on all cylinders this week was Mandy Moore. First, Melanie and Neil somehow brought new life to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" - a feat I thought impossible. That flying leap into Neil's arms, by the way - holy smokes, as Mary might say! (This week's recap brought to you by Dr. Seuss.)

Then Lauren Froderman came back to dance with Tadd and reminded us why she was last year's winner. Mandy's "Another One Bites the Dust" was one of the most fun routines of the season.

On a similarly jazzy note, Jordan and Ade were pitch-perfect in a Tyce Diorio routine, performed to Tina Turner, no less. This worked just as well in execution as it does on paper.

I found myself a bit surprised that I was not as into the lyrical hip-hop routines as I usually am. Jess and Lauren Gottlieb's "Take a Bow" (how has no one done a routine to this song before?) was all well and good, but it didn't really move me at all.

Meanwhile, Ivan outdanced Caitlynn. I wasn't getting any chemistry from them, unfortunately. But it was great to see Ivan again.

Even so, their chemistry was much better than Jordan and Jess. Lack of chemistry in a rumba is deadly, and I fear that these two might be in the bottom this week because of it. And by the way, I put most of the blame for that on Jordan.

Caitlynn may have escaped the bottom, however, by dancing a beautiful fox trot with Tadd. It was just like dessert.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Sasha goes to the bottom, after an utterly forgettable - if quirky, and right up Gaga's alley - quickstep with Pasha. No one will pick up the phone for that. She has to hope that the audience liked her Sonya routine as much as the judges did.

Joining her in the bottom will be perennial basement dweller Ricky. He has grown on me, but the judges need to stop trying to make Ricky happen. His jive with Anya and his hip hop with Marko were great entertainment, but the audience isn't connecting with him. Nigel Lythgoe and crew (minus Gaga, by the way) have a very difficult decision to make tonight.

And finally, I want to thank Rachel Rodriguez for filling in splendidly last week. You should check out iReport in the next couple of days, as she has some plans for National Dance Day.

So, I think I may have said a few things you disagree with this week. By all means, let me know in the comments, or better yet, on iReport. I'll be back to see if it turned out the way I expect on Friday. 'Til then, peace out, little monsters.

1. Ryu

Why does she have an M. Bison hat?

July 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chucklehead

She is so mofofuglydugly! A blind man wouldn't find her attractive.

July 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Carolyn

I actually like Lady G and thought her judging was good. I loved Sasha's quickstep...what are you talking about???! Nigel talks too much. He should provide objective judging and NOT give his personal opinions. He does it every season, and every season it backfires. The audience has sympathy for everyone he praises to the skies undeservedly, and they get the vote, deserved or not. Nigel never "gets" this. Guess his ego is just too big. Melanie and Sasha should both win.

July 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jsl

Did anyone REALLY think she was a good judge? I thought it was a joke. I have been watching this show since season 1 and she stunk. Props? Telling them they didn't need the props. Okay freakshow that was not up to them. Telling Caitlyn that crap about her trophies. You need to just move on. GaGa please move on to something normal...

July 29, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

@no names- for lady gaga ok she may be saturated later....but you, I can saturate with a skillet of hot grease...how's that sound???? *Sizzle* Just like bacon in the a.m. Oh, and your new name is "Spooge guzzlin gutter sl ut c*ck in the mouth beeeotch". Like it?? Good, it fits!

July 29, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. no names, please

Lady Gaga is everywhere these days.It's only a matter of time before she reaches "saturation level" and everyone gets tired of her cr@p. Be patient.

July 29, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ingmar

The real reason Lady Gaga was crying on So You Think You Can Dance

July 28, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. art vandolaye

God, why won't this Gaga person. She is like a bad case of herpes. Keeps coming back. -Art

July 28, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sarah S

i love how some of u think lady gaga was so much better then carmen electra but at least carmen was an actual dancer. i really like Jordan and hope she stays. she's so talented.

July 28, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wayne martin

Missed a performance ... watch GAGA live on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight!! http://bit.ly/mP2Jqx

July 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. charlie crack

@mad you're a trip bro....she is a wild girl or uh ummm MAN!

July 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adrianne

Despite Gaga's quirky outfit, she was very knowledgeable as a judge. I was very surprised. Her comments and critique were better than any guest judge this year – I mean, seriously, Carmen Electra? My top three – and I've felt this way all season are Melanie, Marko and Sasha. It's going to be interesting! Best reality/talent show on TV!!!!

July 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Evel Knievel

Lady Gaga needs to be on "SYTYCHYW" – So You Think You Can Hide Your Wiener.

July 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. denny

Cant wait to see gaga tonight on Jimmy Kimmel LIVE!!!! you could win tickets on the JKL website http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/lady-gaga

July 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ms. T

I actually watched the show last night and enjoyed every minute. Ricky, Tadd and Jess are the guys I predict in the bottom 3. As for the ladies, it is impossible; they are all so good. But if I have to guess, I think it will be Caitlyn, Jordan and Sasha. No way the judges are going to let Sasha go. I have watched this show since it started; it is a must see for me every season. And yes, Alison is amazing. I will never forgot a number she did with Ivan way back.

July 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. alecia

@john behave yourself! That was uncalled for! Im withSnarky though about judging dancing. Just another Madonna wannabe who happens to look like a fruit salad!

July 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cletus

I want to drink her hair. It looks like blue Hawaiian Punch.

July 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Snarky

Also, how is it a good idea for her to judge this show? I've seen a couple of her videos and she absolutely CAN NOT dance. She can spaz out, but without rhythm, it can't be called dancing.

July 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Penis Buffet

That guy next to Lady-Boy is giving an under the table Hand Shandee.

July 29, 2011 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. Evel Knievel

She is a dude. A style over substance hack.

July 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. The Måd Råp3r

Not even kidding,

A) She looks like a dude there

B) She looks like she belongs in Liquid Sky

C) Is that some kind of red leather faux-nazi hat in front of her?

July 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. johnsjealous

What an insensitive thing to say...you're jealous because she has a bigger unit than you do.

July 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Doodee Pot Pie

If Lady Gaga must die lets just hope it happens while she is chocking down a big ole turd and its being filmed.

July 29, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  23. Anderson Fartley

Lady G is saying "We enjoyed watching you give yourself a BJ but my goober is bigger so, YOU LOSE. Now get outa here."

July 29, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |