Ron Howard will not direct third Dan Brown film
July 27th, 2011

Ron Howard will not direct third Dan Brown film

Ron Howard will not be finishing what he started with the Dan Brown films.

CNN has confirmed that Howard will not be directing the final installment of the trilogy based on Brown's wildly popular books.

Despite occupying the director's chair for "The Da Vinci Code" in 2006 and "Angels & Demons" in 2009, a rep for Sony Pictures told CNN that Howard has opted to produce the forthcoming film "The Lost Symbol," but not direct.

Deadline.com reports that like the first two films, the third movie will star Tom Hanks as Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon. Both the films and the books have been embraced by fans.

The confirmation that Howard has stepped away from directing the final installment comes on the heels of news that Universal scrapped the Oscar winner's highly-anticipated TV series and three-movie adaptation of the Stephen King fantasy Western, "The Dark tower."

« Previous entry
  1. Gaston Glandon

Brown's novels that feature the lead character Robert Langdon also include historical themes and Christianity as motifs, and as a result, have generated controversy. Brown states on his website that his books are not anti-Christian, though he is on a 'constant spiritual journey' himself, and says that his book The Da Vinci Code is simply "an entertaining story that promotes spiritual discussion and debate" and suggests that the book may be used "as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith."..

Our homepage
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com

May 1, 2013 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. vino tinto

I'm extremely impressed along with your writing abilities as neatly as with the structure for your weblog. Is this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

August 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gay traveler

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your augment or even I success you access consistently quickly.

August 4, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. drinking hard water

Unquestionably consider that that you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest factor to remember of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst people think about worries that they plainly don't know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as defined out the entire thing without having side effect , folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

April 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. guardian angel

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have really loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing for your rss feed and I'm hoping you write once more very soon!

March 31, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Simon and Buttfunkel

The best Happy Days was when Mr Cunningham caught Potsy and Richie in the closet naked tuggin on one anothers tallywhackers.

July 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rich39

Howard and Hanks. Two great leaders in the film industry. No matter what they do it's great. I see where a lot of teeny boopers have posted on this site. You know who you are... Grow up.

July 29, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Actually I'm a grown man in my 30s. I like Hanks, but have never pictured him as correct for Robert Langdon. End of story.

On another note...who wants to bet that Morgan Freeman is cast in The Lost Symbol?

July 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Trisha

Dark Tower was scrapped?! Now THAT'S disappointing.

July 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steven Lopez

I say give it to Chris Nolan he will screw it up

July 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Billy Goat

I don't know where I am. Has anyone seen my pants? Oh dear me, there's blood dripping from my rear and I can't find my waffle iron. This could be a problem.

July 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. studdmuffins

Ron Howard is an amazing talent. He has a great eye behind the camera and had a larger than kid presence in front.

July 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

If Ron Howard dropped out of directing The Lost Symbol because Universal scrapped The Dark Tower as the article seems to imply, then good for him. Howard's track record as a producer and director have been above average and I think Universal is going to regret its decision to deep-six one of his projects.

July 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eric

As it relates to Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, I think he does an ok job but I really think that an unknown actor should have received the role. I see Tom Hanks as his other characters, but when I heard they were making the Da Vinci Code into a movie I really hoped they had a small name as Langdon. Maybe it's just me, but the role needed a fresh, unknown face.......

July 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. erich2112x

Well it's gettin' old already. You can't get bogged down just doing the same things over and over.

July 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sophia

I wish Ron Howard was going to direct the last one. I also love Tom Hanks in the film, he is a great actor. I have not read the books, so I don't know if he is a good choice for the character but the films are great.

July 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MamaBoats

Tom Hanks does a great job as Robert Langdon. He is not supposed to be a James Bond character...good grief

July 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. schuyler

I really enjoyed "The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons", but "The Lost Symbol" was terrible- poor pacing, unbelievable plot, predictable villain, characters with no common sense. America's top female scientist can't figure out to bring a flashlight to work? I hope that the screenplay can improve upon the book's many flaws.

July 28, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Master0

I agree completely. I liked the first two (I even enjoyed the movies), but The Lost Symbol was just not good. I got sucked into Angels and Demons on a business trip and read the whole thing on the plane and then inhaled DaVinci in a weekend. It took me a month or so to get through Symbol because it was just so bad! Not only was the plot forced and the villain unbelievable, but Langdon must have suffered severe head trauma prior to its start because he was absolutely worthless and whiny throughout!

July 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • schuyler

Yeah, Langdon was off his game. The book just didn't have the big reveal that "Da Vinci" did, so Brown's 2-page chapters ending in, "He couldn't believe what was in front of him" just didn't work.

July 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sheldon Nylander

Tom Hanks is a good choice for Langdon. Langdon is not an action hero. He's a history nerd. Still, I don't really care. "The Lost Symbol" was really an awful, awful book. The more concerning part (although old news) is that "The Dark Tower" has been scrapped.

July 28, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Zebula

They were all awful books, but Ameicans are illiterate. The movies are awful, too.

July 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • erich2112x

Zebula, we are going to invade your little country one of these days, and we're brigin' our books with us. We will force you to read what we like, and you'll all be just like us.

July 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • RL

Right. We'll bring Harry Potter books... Oh wait. >.<

July 28, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mejazzbo

Good for you, Ron!!!

July 28, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  20. Bella Cullen

It doesn't really matter who directs. Tom Hanks is too old and fat to play Robert Langdon.

July 28, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Leona

--Bella Cullen

--It doesn't really matter who directs. Tom Hanks is too old and fat --to play Robert Langdon.

Really? You call yourself Bella Cullen. I REALLY want to listen to your opinion on something other than sparkly half a$$ vampires. Rightttt....

July 28, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • kake79

@Leona... *LOL* I really wish the blogs had a "Like" button.

July 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Hell, I don't even care about Bella Cullen's opinion on sparkly half-a$$ed vampires, let along Dan Brown movies. What a pathetic d*bag. Great comment Leona.

July 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Steven Gaynor

Tom Hanks is actually a good choice for Robert Langdon. Langdon is described in the books as more scholarly than action oriented and struggles a bit with the physicality of what he has to do. Plus, a top talent like Hanks always brings something extra to his roles, so I think he is a good choice. While the books were better than the movies, I still enjoyed them and will watch the third one when it comes to the discount theater.

July 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • CHristina Hughes

I agree with everythings you say Steven! I wish Ron would continue series – certain rhyme and rhythm

July 28, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • jen

I love Tom and Ron in whatever they do!

July 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • kake79

Thank you! I felt that Tom Hanks was a near perfect fit for the Langdon character. Actually, all of the casting for the first two films was done very well. I'm really disappointed that Howard has chosen not to direct the third film. Maybe he'll change his mind since he isn't doing the Dark Tower series?? *fingers crossed*

July 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

I agree totally with you Steven! Hanks' talent is exactly what I expected it to be. And Howard's directing talent is without question high quality not matter how bad a script can be. If one looks at all movies taken from books, there is always a small amount of dissappointment because books leave a lot to one's imagination whereas movies try to fill in for its watchers. Imagination is always the stronger winner in this instance. So for my dollar I will be watching this next installment of Brown's trilogy just because I want to and because of who is actually in it and directing it etc. So there.....

July 29, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Not true...Langdon is described as a fit, toned water-polo lover who can outplay the varsity athletes. He is toned and in shape, with a deep voice. Not Tom Hanks by any means.

July 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bring Back HAPPY DAYS

Forget these silly films, we want a reunion (of whoever is still around, anyway...)

July 28, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. Arthur Fonzarelli

Eeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

July 28, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. penny

He and Potsy should make a movie.

July 28, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Tiuri

Potsie is a director these days

July 28, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Timmy

Opie and Pottsie for President and Vice President.... Since that has become a joke, as well... we might as well get someone in there that we like... Wait... one of them might be Mormon and that would never do in the land of Freedom of Religion now would it.... We, unfortunately, get the entertainment and the leadership for which we are willing to pay...

July 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Freddie

Both films didn't come close to the books, which were great. Tom Hanks should follow Howard. Neither is right for it. The first movie sucked so bad I don't know why they bothered with a sequel.

July 28, 2011 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. .

July 28, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • steve

Opie is so overrated as a director anyway. and i agree get someone else besides Tom Hanks , i like the idea of Viggo Mortenson in the role

July 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Andy

No! Why Tom Hanks again for this? So not the right casting for this role. Robert Langdon needs more of a James Bond-type actor...a Pierce Brosnan, Clive Owen, even a Bradley Cooper would be good.

July 28, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • la

THANK YOU!!!!! I always thought Viggo Mortenson would have been so great in that role. Tom Hanks?! Love the guy as an actor but not for this...ugh

July 28, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

OMG ! THANK YOU for saying what we are thinking. When i read that Ron Howard was not directing i was hopeful...

Tom Hanks is OK as a voice for Andy in the Toy Story animations – but PLEASE ! NOT as a leading man ! Especially in any of Dan Brown's stories – he just does NOT fit the character in any way shape or form.

Didnt they read the books ?!?!?!

July 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Da51d

James Bond? LOL, did you 'read' the books? Langdon 'is' like Tom Hanks acts him to be... a professor way out of his element and struggling to survive in face of danger... not some super spy 007...

July 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

Just about anyone would be better than Tom Hanks – yick ! :(

July 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Sorry, Da51d, but I did read all three of the books, and Dan Brown gives a lot of detail over to Robert Langdon's jock-like physique, deep voice, and good looks. "Harrison Ford in tweed", or something like that. Sorry, but none of those would indicate Tom Hanks (who I do like a lot, btw)

July 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Evel Knievel

Opie Cunningham.

July 27, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • holymoly

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...thanks for the laugh!! I've gotta go get out my Best of Eddie Murphy/SNL dvd now...

July 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |