It's an A-xtravaganza on 'Pretty Little Liars'
July 27th, 2011

It's an A-xtravaganza on 'Pretty Little Liars'

After last week’s, dare I say, flat episode of “Pretty Little Liars,” we were due for some “Pretty Little” drama.

The girls may have dubbed their fashion show an “A-xtravaganza,” but more clues would have been nice after leaving us with an extended clip of Ali and Ian’s romp the week prior.

Those clues came last night in the form of – drum roll – a potential murder weapon. But I’ll get back to that.

Emily officially moved into Hanna’s house, and it didn’t take long for the welcome wagon to arrive: “What fun. Two little liars under one roof. You’re making it so easy. –A”

Meanwhile, Aria’s parents invite Fitz to their dinner party to make sure he’s settling in at Hollis… and because they have no idea their underage daughter is dating him.

Fitz agrees to go. He tells Aria it will be good for her parents to see them together, putting her mind at ease – that is, until she finds out her mother has also invite Jason.

Mike is still acting strange – ducking out before breakfast and keeping to himself. He even has a rear view mirror on his desk to see when his parents enter the room.

At the Hastings house, it’s becoming clearer that Spencer’s dad has an issue with the DiLaurentis family. After arguing with Jessica at the fashion show, he puts the kibosh on the fence Jason was planning to build, separating their yards.

We’ve always known the Hasting family was strange. Even Aria and Hanna’s moms acknowledge that fact when they meet to discuss what happened at the show. They come to the conclusion that the torment from A has most likely occurred for awhile. Such perceptive parents.

Later, while Toby clears the ivy around the Hasting’s barn, he finds something buried about six inches below the ground on the Hastings-DiLaurentis property line. It’s a piece from Spencer’s old field hockey stick. She said she lent it to Alison a long time ago, adding, it was in Ali’s bedroom the summer she was killed.

The wooden stick appears to have split, much like a baseball bat does sometimes after it makes contact with a ball. Blunt force trauma, anyone?

Spencer’s dad takes the stick from Toby, and later asks him to keep their conversation from Spencer. So shady!

Speaking of Shady – Mike finally got caught breaking into his neighbors’ homes. Aria looks through his closet to see what he’s accumulated when she finds the lamp Jenna created in their art class.

When Aria confronts Mike about stealing from a blind girl, he tells her he took the lamp from Garrett’s apartment while looking for a gun to “get out of here.” I hope that didn’t have a suicidal undertone, because Aria came off way more concerned about the lamp than her brother’s well being.

Mike’s delinquent act helped alert the girls of Garrett’s true colors – something we’ve been dying for them to figure out since we realized he and Jenna play on the same team. The A team, if you will.

And they figured it out just in time, too. Spencer was getting ready to confide in Garrett about the field hockey stick. Not that it matters. Mr. Hastings tossed the stick in the fireplace after telling Spencer, “This is over. Ian Thomas is in a grave I paid for.” He even makes a jab about the trophy Spencer believed was evidence some time ago.

Did anyone else notice the number on Garrett’s police car? “583,” most likely Garrett’s unit number, was printed on the roof of the vehicle. But “35” appeared on the back of the car. Is there a clue here? Or am I seriously over-analyzing a teen drama?

The episode ends with A’s black gloves filling a bottle with some type of chemical, possibly bromobenzene, also known as BB - a toxic substance that can cause liver and nervous system damage. And if the scenes for next week are any indication, Emily is about to figure that out the hard way.

What did you think of last night’s episode? What’s up with Caleb and his criminal past? And What is Mr. Hastings keeping from us?

1. Madi

This weeks PLL was pretty good I can't believe that no one has said anything about what happened with Jenna and Garrett! Don't you think that it is weird that when they met in Garrett's car they were talking about how the girls thought that they were the killers? I think that we have two A's or two murders in our presents! OMG, I loved it when Aria's mom asked Jason and Ezra to come over future love triangle, don't you think? O.k. So Emily is now in the hospital and the doctor (Wren) thinks that she is taking some kind of drug, I have a feeling that that needle that A had had something really bad in it! So Hanna's parent have a late night get together and now there done WHAT! That was not what I expected. Why couldn't he stay for longer. Caleb a past criminal that a shocker. I can't wait until next weeks episode hopefully some more PLL drama!

August 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dort

This week's episode just irked me so. How the H ell does "A" know the girls every move? Are their homes, cars and cells bugged? Is "A" superhuman? "A" can get into their homes, school lockers, hospital morgues and cafeteria (sp). Spiked muscle cream, videos and an untraceable cell phone. It's starting to get a little ridiculous.

August 4, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Me

I know many people who are getting sick of guessing who A is but if we know who A is than there would be no story line left. I personally love the show and the mystery.

August 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bailey

What about when Mike said that all he found in Garrett's apartment was "a phone and a GPS"? I know those are normal things to have, but I couldn't help but thing that there was some emphasis put on that for a reason..

August 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. holly

I watch Pretty Little Liars each week but may not for much longer. The ENTIRE story line revolving around "A" has gotten OLD. Potentially good show with a tired plot.

August 2, 2011 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Me

I think the hockey stick (aka: the murder weapon) was an indication that someone in the Hasting family was involved in one way or another with Ali's murder. They are a strange family... Sometime's I wonder if Spencer had something to do with it, ecspecially because she was the one to hear Ali scream but than I think Melissa is a very strange person so perhaps she did it, hence the reason why Ian said to Spencer in the bell tower that he was going to kill her "because he loved Melissa." IDK though...I thought for a while that it was Ian but now I am thinking the writers just want us to think that it is him to throw us off when in fact it is someone we would never expect. I find it funny that Mike would break in to a cop's house even if it is an untrusty worthy one. I still don't understand why Mike thought Jenna's clay peice was going to be worth something. lol I don't want Aria to be with Jason at all and I really don't know how I feel about Aria and Fitz. I thought Hanna was great when she was singing while Emily was trying to study. I don't know how long those two are going to last living together though. All in all I really love this show and can't wait for next weeks!

July 28, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Garry

Love, Love this show..last week was a little lame, this week made up for it. Spencers dad is hiding a secret no doubt and Emily is being poisoned by "A"..did you notice the apparent "soreness" in her shoulder and the "creme" she keeps putting on it. I enjoyed the uncomfortableness between Frtiz and Jason..that was funny.
    The show just keep getting better and better!

July 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dort

I thought last week's episode was much juicier. No mention of Fitz (I've been calling him Fritz all this time) checking out Jason and Aria. When Jason asked if he (Fitz) had every had Aria, the look on his face...And when Aria's parents leave both guys are waiting to see which would leave first. Poor Emily. Hannah won't let her study and her new workout is a biatch. OK, why did Caleb spill his guts to Hannah. We all know "A" has bionic hearing and can read lips. Spencer talks too much and her family is a pain. Also, no mention of Hannah's parents sneaking up to mom's room. Hope things pick up next week.

July 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frederico

oooooooh man, this show is getting juicy. I never watched it, but I know its getting juicy!!

July 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |