Kris Jenner: My job is to extend my family's fame
July 26th, 2011

Kris Jenner: My job is to extend my family's fame

When Kris Jenner tied the knot with her second husband, Olympic champion Bruce, he was $500,000 in debt and was living in a one room apartment. But as the two merged their families, with Kris' four kids becoming siblings with Bruce's four from two prior marriages, Kris Jenner was undeterred.

"I wasn't scared. I said, 'Let's pump some air into this flat tire,'" she tells More magazine. "When I married Bruce, it was sort of hit the ground running. I married a guy who was really talented and had been doing motivational speeches for Fortune 500 companies –  and this is a guy who didn’t have a business card or a press kit. People who were in his business had all these marketing tools, and Bruce was just winging it. I knew he could be much bigger.”

And she had the same inkling about her brood, who now star in the popular reality show, "Keeping Up with the Kardashians."

Kris Jenner says she's been working at this for 20 years, having spun her previous duties as a mom - Brownie troop leader, soccer coach, car pool driver - into the gig of "momager," taking 10 percent off the top from the deals she lands her family members, including her son-in-law, basketball player Lamar Odom.

But, she insists, "Managing isn’t a magic show. You don’t work with somebody and instill talent in them," she tells More. "I am so blessed to have these children who have the most amazing work ethic. I have a 13-year old and a 15-year old who were at a meeting at 8:30 this morning with Ryan Seacrest Productions to talk about their careers."

That same dedication to the family's multitude of projects is shown by everyone, she adds. "Everyone has to have the same work ethic. If one is really lazy or drinks all night and can’t get up in the morning, [it won’t work]," she goes on. "Every single one of my girls gets up at the crack of dawn and works really hard. They work all day long until they fall down. And then they get up the next day and do it all over again.”

That kind of hustle is what Kris relies on to bite back at critics who say she's exploiting her offspring.

"My job is to take my family’s 15 minutes of fame and turn it into 30," she says. "It’s a very rewarding feeling when I go to sleep every night knowing I did the best I could for my family.”

To read the rest of her interview, check out  the latest issue of More Magazine.

Filed under: Celebrities • Kardashians

1. Rob

Kris Jenner is developing a Mushroom Face. She implies she is 52 but is closer to 60. Somehow her bio got changed along the way. She graduated from high school with my mother, everybody in the class is 58 or 59. Kris, at least admit your age. You and your girls are aging out of the 'reality' star category very soon. Kids are getting old, Bruce is old and so is Kris. Ryan Seacrest is making big bucks out of you people, tired of the whole bunch......

July 31, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Glen

These no talent losers have long surpassed their 15 min of fame, which they did not deserve in the first place.

July 30, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. caitlyn

HATERS RIGHT HERE!! i love how all you losers are wasting ur time writing about how much u hate the kardashians and how there ugly and talentless...half of you prob have more talent then you!!! Lets seeee here, they own clothing stores, books, jewlery, clothing, beauty supplies, and they have successful television shows..do any of u haters have that? NAHHH u have no jobs and are sitting on ur a** complaning bout this family cause ur life sucks so much. And stop saying that the kardashians are "aliens" cause they are BEAUTIFUL! So go back and talk crap LOSERS :)

July 29, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. derp

She should be proud, after all, her three daughters have had more dark meat than 48 thanksgivings.

July 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

I'm sure they are not the only ones.

July 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Klsteele

RIGHT ON! I tried to say that but used the n word. As a white person, I never agreed not to use it. Because of this, they wouldn't post it. Just not a politically correct person here, and they can call me whitie. Also, what role models, this group are a bunch of no talents that public just lets screw them.

July 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mitz

What a crack of S**t. And I do believe she actually believes what she's saying. These are the most money hungry , self centered set of people I've ever seen. I hope their "30 mins" of fame turns to 30yrs of rags. And BTW I'm not a mean spirited person, I'm just repulsed.

July 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fresh Breath

Why does ANYONE think that they have to keep up with these women? From what I have read and heard, the only two things they are about is Lust and Fame. I wouldn't want my children looking up, let alone trying to keep up, with these people...

July 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michelle

Her teenagers were at an 8:30am meeting? BIG DEAL. How about all the kids that get up at 5am to swim laps, practice tennis or just work the farm? TO THIS AND HER BROOD. I SAY: Big Fat Hairy Deal. Who gives a flying F%^K? Well, viewers do and if people continue to watch, he two youngest will be starring in the next Reality show. And I wonder, if she talked Bruce into that horrible plastic surgery?

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

Kardashian Haters? You have got to be joking. As others have said, what exactly do they do that is talent? Is this what the younger generation should look up to? The Kardashians? No education, no career. The best one is Bruce Jenner, who gives motivational speeches to fortune 500 companies.

July 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Duni

But thats the thing:
    Your duaghters get up at the crack of dawn and work... what exactly is work? They are promoting a product? What is the product?
    Your on a reality TV show and all the camera's do is what your daughters Wake up, eat get primed to go out, party, talk to famous athlete, movie stars etc and then come home... and maybe have a fling or 2. Thats not work, thats the life of the rich and wanna be famous.
    Great job on not having an actual job. Had Kris Jenners NOT been pretty... this would have been something else totally. If they were models, then I'd agree with the term "work" but their not... so what are your children doing? Nada

July 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. S

Just like Paris Hilton, a waste of space

July 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jersey Dude

This shameless family will do ANYTHING for a dollar and the mother is the chief pimp of them all...yeech!

July 27, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Toeknee22

Not a fan of this show. I see too many people going around wanting to be like reality show actors. I think we all should find our own special place and be who and what we were meant to be. Bruce does look the way he does due to way too many face lifts, I remember him when he was an Olympic swimmer. If we all decided to stop watching this show and some of the others they would not be on the air. I think this show like others sets the wrong idea out for children of today especially young girls. Times have changed, but I think we all should realize that their is nothing wrong with being ourselves. Lets raise our children to have values and morals. I think we will find theis consept is not so bad.

July 27, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • AHW

Jenner won a gold medal for the decathlon; he was not a swimmer. You must be thinking of Mark Spitz. Bruce really should lay off the face lifts; they all should.

July 27, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. duh

She cant pimp a the male Kardashian because he lacks boobs.

July 27, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Timme62

Sorry, mom is a pimp plain and simple. You notice that the only Kardashian male is never in any picture. Kris must not have figured out how to market him.

July 27, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tiffany

Kris is just trying to strike while the iron is hot. B/c it's not gonna be hot forever. 10 years from now people are gonna be like, "Kardashian? What the heck is a Kardashian." Lol!!

July 27, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. 0xy Morone

The only people who thinks all Armenians behave as the Kardashians do are bigots looking for a reason to justify their hate.To me they're just superficial hippies.

July 27, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Tiffany

There also giving armenians a really bad name.

July 27, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. deann

This family is way over rated! Their show is such a waste!

July 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Taylor

She is the one making Kim do everything Paris Hilton has done for fame..Sad

July 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LW

What the heck is a coal burner?

July 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dingy

I thought they were gold diggers not coal burners whatever that means.

July 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jethro

Please do not post any new stories on these coal burners.

July 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jbbw

I love the last line in this piece. I can't imagine anyone getting where she is now without working hard at it. I bet alot of typical mom's could do the same if they had to. Sleep well Kris!

July 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. sharon

Work ethic? But what do they do exactly?

July 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. soul sista

STOP COMPLAINING HATERS AND GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  26. drew

Look at that Joker smile on Kris!

July 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kc

Why all the nastiness? They're not on welfare. They're not taking anything from you. They've made themselves a business and it's obviously worked. You can't be a no-talent dummy to make that work. If you could be, then everyone would do it and everyone would be rolling in the dough. So, get off your moral high horse and say kudos for them for finding a formula that works for them. It's called American capitalism. Like it or lump it.

July 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • AHW

You're wrong about the Kardashians not taking from people. They've been involved in several credit card schemes. No responsible person should ever encourage the public to acquire more credit cards, which are one of the worst frauds perpetrated on consumers. These talentless bimbos need to go away.

July 27, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. me

Who is Kris Jenner?

July 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Observer

Aside from Bruce, what have ANY of them ever actually done?

And besides, they are all liberals, which mean they are irrelevant.

July 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  30. itsamemario

i did not know that being a fame wh*re was a job..

July 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. chuck

Khloe is ugly, sorry it's the truth.

July 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • AHW

They're all hideous; as my grandfather would say: they could haunt houses. They're all so trashy. What kind of parent pimps out his/her kids?

July 27, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  32. chuck

Gee she must be proud-lastest news Kim biggest ugly *ss-I ever saw-has ezcema on much of her body. People that is a fungal infection of the skin, GROSS. Look close at KIm without the makeup and hair extensions she is just another chubby, failry Ok looking gal-nothing amazing.

July 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Shalise

Like how she pointedly said the girls had great work ethic! And they do...its just rob thats lazy and riding off his family's hard work!! Moms cant make everything happen lol

July 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Richard Breath

They all look like aliens

July 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. YOUR MOM

@plunger
    you obviously have no sense of respect for people who are your elders, i'm sure you have a mother or grandmother around that age, so don't go disrespecting people you don't even know! you're the reason why americans have such a bad rap because of all the disrespectful, non-moral trash living here.

July 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Gillian Lane

I WOULD STILL RUB ONE OUT ON HER

July 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. plunjer

if you are that old it seems like your fingers might break when you type. id be reall careful and put some preperation h on them if i was you. and eat some fiber. really old people need prunes and ffiber.

July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rocky

Get a brain

July 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • AHW

If you had been in one of my writing classes, I would have delighted in giving you a huge F. Anyone who writes as poorly as you should crack open the books and shut up.

July 27, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  38. plunjer

1959 is waaaaay old. was that when you were born? surely not. did you know abraham lincoln when you wer a little girl?

July 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • AHW

Do some math, you age-a-phobe! 52 is not old, especially in an age when 60 is the new 40. How old are you? Mentally, you seem about 5. Clearly, you haven't paid attention in school, or you would know Abraham Lincoln died in 1865, not 1965.

July 27, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  39. tonysgirl1959

When she says they 'work' what do they do? I'm serious. I really don't know. Nice that they're commited to working hard, but what is their job? Just curious.

July 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fortune Cookie

Clothing Stores, modeling....endorsements, running with the name Kardashian.

and they're not standing in the unemployment line or at the welfare office. Good for them!

July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • comeon

If you call what they do work, then you have some learning to do. Yes, they might be busy, but none it takes any effort or talent what so ever. Walking around buying different types of nuts (one full episode of KUWTK) on the street is not work; being "caught" on the beach in a bikini is not work. The hardest thing she works/worked at is getting a pair of pants over her cinder block of a backside, or trying to fit Ray J's unit in her mouth.
      She makes massive amount of money off people who think she is important, and unfortunately there are millions of them, and companies realize this.

July 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JulieB

I don't blame HER for marketing her family–I blame the rest of the world for consuming it (actually shelling out cash). The thought that her 13 and 15 year olds will have careers using no skills is frightening.

July 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. turtlesnot

She has really done good. Im proud for her. Hope she gets to take a break sometimes though.

July 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Courtny Like

No pimp one smart cookie. I wish my mom was more like her.

July 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. The Måd Råp3r

Translation: I'm Kris Jenner and i'm a pimp.

July 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

If she really believes that – that her job is to make her family/kids/grandkids more famous ... then that goes a long way toward explaining why her children believe that fame is the primary value, as opposed to work, achievement, education, philanthropy and a host of other superior values. Seems pretty empty to me.

July 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • opinion

These people should be ashamed. They are nothing more then vain, money hungry, lazy, uneducated, self absorbed, trash. I don;'t wish them well at all. In fact, I wish them misery.

July 27, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Laughing

Opinion -You are ignorant and uneducated.

July 27, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |