Carey Mulligan 'terrified' about 'Great Gatsby'
July 26th, 2011

Carey Mulligan 'terrified' about 'Great Gatsby'

The thought of filling Daisy Buchanan's shoes in Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" has Carey Mulligan shaking in her boots.

It was announced in November that the sprightly Brit actress is set to play Buchanan in Luhrmann's version of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s beloved novel, and Mulligan chatted about the film's progress while at Comic-Con in San Diego.

“We start rehearsing in a month, and start filming in September,” the starlet tells Empire Online. And how does Mulligan feel about taking on such an iconic character? "Terrified,” she admits.

Mulligan adds to the BBC, "It's daunting. It's the biggest thing I've been involved in...but I'm raring to go."

Leonardo DiCaprio will be playing Jay Gatsby, with Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway and Isla Fisher as Myrtle Wilson. Carey Mulligan may be frightened about this star-studded film, but we’re downright excited!

1. Another from Butch

can she do anything right?

February 12, 2013 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. strona

My next of kin and I completely adore your blog and find a large amount of your post's to live precisely what I'm looking used for. can you propose guest writers to enter gratify used for you? I wouldn't mind producing a post otherwise elaborating on a number of the subjects you enter in relative to here. Again, grand trap site! strona http://www.budowlane.webege.com

February 12, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. chata

You have remarked tremendously worthy of note particulars! ps straight trap side. Turn into dependent resting on continuous and never-ending personal development. by Anthony D'Angelo. chata http://www.telefony.netai.net

February 11, 2013 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. naemi varna

I just like the helpful info you provide for your articles. I'll bookmark your weblog and test once more here regularly. I'm fairly certain I will be told many new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the next!

July 31, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dionisio sanchez

It's really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

July 29, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. medication

I believe this is one of the such a lot significant info for me. And i'm glad studying your article. However wanna statement on few common issues, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is actually excellent : D. Just right activity, cheers

May 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. su

I feel this is one of the such a lot significant information for me. And i am satisfied studying your article. But want to statement on some common things, The website taste is great, the articles is truly great : D. Good activity, cheers

May 23, 2012 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. trade show stand

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This submit actually made my day. You cann't believe just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

April 13, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. ROBIN

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She should be scared. You cannot remake Robert Redford and Mia Farrow, with children like Carrie and for god sakes DeCaprio. SAY IT ANIT SO.

July 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LKT

Saw the Redford version of Gatsby when I was 12 yrs old. That movie/story removed my childhood's rose colored glasses. I don't care who remakes this movie, they will NEVER come close to making ME re-experience what I did back in 1974. I can only hope this new version brings this story to life for the current generation.

July 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bee

This really disappoints me.

July 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Filmlover

How can this be an improvement on Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern, Sam Waterston & Robert Redford? To be honest, DiCaprio seems the only 1 up for the challenge. He was profound in Inception.

July 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CH

Isla Fisher as Myrtle Wilson? That character was written as heavy-set, sensual but not beautiful. Sounds like a poor choice of actress for the role.

July 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. D. Aames

Carey has been solid in everything she's done. She's terrified because she Cares. Perfect casting.

July 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lyn

The women both good choices- they both have an old fashioned kind of beauty that will translate well to Gatsby. I don't like Dicaprio anymore. He has given up a serious career for the 'jet set' image, floating around Venice with models and actresses.

July 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jim

Love the Entourage reference Vinnie.. Yeah Entourage did a sppok on this 2 seasons ago where Scorcese was to direct Vinnie Chase in a remake. Actually think Entourage had it right. The Scorcese part to direct that is..

July 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Vinnie Chase

Hey! I thought I was cast to play Jay Gatsby! Darn that Leo! Where's my agent? Ari???

July 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. ssaattbb

You go, Sally Sparrow!!!

July 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Old School

The presence of Tobey Maguire makes my eyebrow flinch

July 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. adam

Wow that cast sounds like crap. I could see dicaprio as nick and toby no where near it

July 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Scott

Gatsby is the most perfect work of literature ever produced in the U.S. Everything about it works perfectly. One of its most stunning accomplishments is the perfectly calibrated tone of the book - wistful, nostaligic, bittersweet, endlessly subtle.

Baz Luhrman is a hack who is incapable of making a movie that is not overwrought, melodramatic and tacky. He is the Australian equivalent of Oliver Stone. I cannot imagine a director more ill-suited to take on Gatsby than Luhrman.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ian

The book was better.

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. erica

Why do they keep remaking amazing movies. I always end up annoyed when I watch the new re-done versions. They end up chopping up the story leaving out key parts, or adding bull$#*t new scenes. These movies were made back when making movies was magical, and taken seriously.I will take Robert Redford any day over Leo or Tobey. This movie will be terrible.

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Old School

Took the words right out of my mouth, J Giles.

Can't they cast movies using adult actors anymore? Seems Hollywood is overrun by adolescents.

With Baz Luhrmann behind the wheel, let's hope the characters don't break into song. It worked for Moulin, but Gatsby is not the vehicle for wild interpretation (IMHO).

July 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. J Giles

Leonardo DiCrappio is no Robert Redford! I don't know how old Leo is, but he never seems to have left puberty – every time one of his characters is supposed to show some emotion, his voice cracks and he sounds like a little girl!

July 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Murphy

I predict this movie will influence people to dress better.

July 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. amanda

she will be fantastic. no need to worry!

July 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. george

This film will really be her movie education into the reel world.

July 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mia

I really loved the movie starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. With this stars lineup, the movie should be good.

July 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. fran glass

I love The Great Gatsby. It was one of the first "grown up" type books i read as a kid. I also like the actors they have cast and Baz Luhrmann, but part of me still hesitates and worries that they will ruin it. Anyone else?

July 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  31. rob

I'm excited but worried Luhrmann isn't the right director for this. He seems too willing to press his eccentricities into his movies whereas this story is brilliant on its own.

July 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Justin

DiCaprio and Maguire are good buddies going way back, so they may have alright chemistry.

I though Bradley cooper would be riding his star all the way to the role of Tom Buchanon. He did play a similar role in Wedding Crashers. Joel Edgerton, who is currently cast, has a long face and big teeth. So the horse analogy will play well with him.

July 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mike D

GUESS WHAT, FOLKS?

By all economic methods of measurement (like the Gini Coefficient), wealth disparity in America is now WORSE than the Gatsby Era.

The top .01% of the population owns nearly everything.

They have oodles of tax loopholes to lower their effective tax rate under that of the middle class.

They have incredibly strong influence on the government; I mean they practically RUN the government and WRITE our laws.

Thank you George Bush... Thank you Ronald Reagan!

July 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. EricLr

Do any American actors or actresses ever get hired for movies anymore? Because I think that anyone with a British or Australian accent gets automatically hired coming out of the L.A. airport now without anyone even checking their visa. Meanwhile all the American actors are working as waiters.

July 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bookie

can't wait! I love The Great Gatsby. It's so interesting, especially with all the color symbolism hidden within the book. Such a great piece of literature!

July 26, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  36. cdgfla

Awesome, once again Hollywood idiots butcher yet another classic work of literature. LOL. Who are these morons that think they are qualified to interpret Fitzgerald onto another, woefully inadequate, medium? Stupid arrogance.

July 26, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  37. sssppp

The director does not understand the novel. It's the journey into corruption of NICK who's the real protagonost. He's seduced in all ways by Jay Gatsby

July 26, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  38. vivien leigh

Can someone tell me where in "The Great Gatsby" that states Daisy is a blonde?

July 26, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  39. Kristi

LEAVE THE CLASSICS ALONE!

July 26, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  40. yamil d morales

Leonardo di Caprio is by far better than ultraego Redford

July 26, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  41. Conrad Shull

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I'ts going to be hard to beat Redford and Farrow's Gatsby (which, although great, was panned by the critics because, as my Am. Lit. prof pointed out, they clearly never read the book).

July 26, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  42. Lacey18

Still don't get why this is going to be in 3-D. I was so excited about the movie – Gatsby is one of my favorite books – but the whole 3-D thing just seems ridiculous.

July 26, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  43. phil

Ithoughtthismoviewasmadebyscorcesealreadystarringvinnychase?!

July 26, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  44. Chris

I don't remember any elves in The Great Gatsby...

July 26, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Ian

BOOM!!! yawnsby. Nailed them. I would have gone with Gat-Nap, but I like the book.

July 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. T3chsupport

More like The Great Yawnsby. I HATED that book!

July 26, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  46. Fred Evil

New ideas? BAH!
    Creativity? BAH!
    Remakes? NO THANKS!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  47. CM

Baz of Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet fame? Good grief, talk about killing my hopes for anything watchable.

July 26, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  48. luke

this movie is going to be a disgrace

July 26, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  49. alecia

Good morning yall from baking central Texas! I think you both are right (Im ignoring Gillian) about Scorsese over Luhrman but DiCaprio may keep it from tanking. He has surprised in the past! Stay cool!

July 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  50. Peace

Hey itsamemario! I know what ya mean. I also will reserve my opinion till I see it. Good day to ya!

July 26, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  51. itsamemario

am i the only one that feels like this movie is gonna tank? this great story deserves more than the likes of baz luhrman, Martin Scorsese would be good for this. i think carey mulligan is a bit overrated but other than that im gonna reserve my opinion for when it comes out..

July 26, 2011 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessie

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up getting a few Oscar nods.

July 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |