'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Could Amy Winehouse be saved?
July 25th, 2011

'Showbiz Tonight' Flashpoint: Could Amy Winehouse be saved?

The death of Amy Winehouse is a tragic end to such a short, troubled life that could have been so much more.

When Amy sang, her lyrics came straight from her heart. Her words were her own, and her songs, reflections of her life's highs and lows.

Says "Showbiz Tonight's" A.J. Hammer, “I am among those who were immensely saddened to hear the news of Amy’s death, and while I would like to be able to say I was surprised, I was not. Sadly, that is what so many people are saying today about this immense talent. I always rooted for her and imagined the day when she would grow into her 'old-soul' sound and artistry. I looked forward to greatness from Amy beyond what she left us. I really believed it was possible."

We are asking in our "Showbiz Tonight" flashpoint: Did Amy Winehouse have to die? Or could she have been saved? What do you think? Tell us below.

Watch Showbiz Tonight Weekdays Exclusively at 11PM ET on HLN.

1. Lewis

I am so sad about her death. She was too young to die, but sadly it happens to a lot of young people. I don't think anyone could have saved her. Her demons were just too big. I wish her peace.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MadCityBabe

I am truly saddended by her passing....I wasnt a regular listener of her music; however, in the video clips I have viewed, she came across as a lovely individual...quirky, sassy and elegant.

July 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gillian Lane

You shoukd write a book bill.

July 26, 2011 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Billie

yes and no. she would have had to want to change, and sadly- that was not the case. I don't understand why the media dogged her as bad as they did, I feel that may have been a tremendous factor in her demise. she should have felt awesome about herself and her talent, but there was no mention to be made, anywhere in the media- it was all about her being whacked out on booze and drugs. perhaps she just gave up on herself, maybe even believed the hype too! I've been a fan of hers since 07, when I first heard "You know I'm No Good" and I've always taken the time to argue with others about just how jaded the media was about her personal life vs that of her career, and I mean really- what other celibrities in recent memory have been treated as she had been? the only one I can think of is Michael Jackson. there are other actors and musicians afflicted with addiction, yet I don't see their photos and videos all over the place, questioning their sobriety. but then again, Amy didn't seem to care about that, as she didn't make much of an effort to be sober, and kick some a** at her last concert. it's horrible that she died so young- she still had many years ahead of her to share her voice with us! somewhere, somehow- she just gave up. she didn't care anymore. she became vacant- whereas before, she seemed to enjoy life and used her words and her voice to seduce us. and I was so excited to hear her next album, too- but right now I can't fathom how I will feel to hear it.

July 26, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Skidsee

She had a disease that told her she doesnt have a disease.Couple that with people around her constantly telling she had no time for rehab and that she was fine-F'D UP-Insecure-neurotic and emotional-She never stood an iota of a chance of getn sober.

July 26, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cicisbo

Some people are born fey, destined to a life of sadness and a quick way out. It's unfortunate, because this kid had a lot of talent and she could have grown into her voice as she got older.

July 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve

You can't save someone from themselves.

July 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jasoe

she should have had guys weeenies in her mouth instead of a drug pipe. thats what ladies mouths are for anyhow.

July 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. thedman

noooo noooo noooooooo.

July 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Peace

You have to want to be saved, did she, IDK. Doubtful. I feel for her parents. I can't imagine burying my kids.

July 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Reality Cheque

July 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. just sayin....

I bet she couldn't handle the fame, I would hope it's all faked, and she's layin' low in a Malibu rehab, collecting her checks. Doubt it, though. Bummer Dude.

July 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |