Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet
July 24th, 2011

Ahead of the Curve: Weekly pop culture cheat sheet

The Smurfs have gotten a 2011, 3-D update in this weekend's movie, which sees the blue creatures taking over Manhattan.

Neil Patrick Harris and "Glee" star Jayma Mays play the couple who are besieged by the little guys, with Hank Azaria starring as Gargamel. An all-star cast voices the Smurfy crew, with Fred Armisen as Brainy, Paul Reubens as Jokey, John Oliver as Vanity and Katy Perry as Smurfette.

Here's what else you shouldn't miss this week:

Sunday

• The last season of "Entourage" kicks off tonight on HBO at 10:30 p.m. ET. If this news makes you a little wistful, don't forget there's talk of a movie!

Tuesday

• Two new albums are out today from Joss Stone ("LP1") and Kelly Rowland ("Here I Am"...surely we can't be the only ones who got the single "Motivation" stuck in our heads!).
  • On the DVD release front, there's also "Source Code" out for the Jake Gyllenhaal fans in the peanut gallery.
  • "Deadliest Catch" watchers, we hope your DVR is already set: the season finale airs tonight at 9 p.m. on Discovery.

Wednesday

• Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi has gone from being an unknown, diminutive fist-pumper to...a diminutive fist-pumper, but now with more fame. Retrace the steps on E!'s "True Hollywood Story: Snooki" tonight on the network at 10 p.m. ET.

Thursday

• Get ready to make it work, "Project Runway" fans - a new season starts tonight on Lifetime at 9 p.m.

Friday

• Joining the "Smurfs" in the cinema this weekend are Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford in "Cowboys & Aliens," plus Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Julianne Moore in "Crazy, Stupid, Love."

Saturday

• Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo are having their "Dream Wedding" on TLC tonight at 9 p.m. ET. If you're at all curious what a Lachey wedding looks like, you don't want to miss this.

Filed under: Ahead of the Curve

1. Peace

Oh yeah, BV, note for you on while you were working blog! (Before you think I'm some wierd-o or something! HaHa!)

July 26, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Peace

Good am Charlie, I feel for you soooo much. Had to wipe my eyes before I could respond to you. I truly know your pain. "Clubhouse" always open to you, I know what ya mean when you need moments alone. I'm really glad your gf is there to help. She is 1 great gal! That is a tough situation, my friend. I have seen this w/2 of my parents friends, also. This is def 1 of the hardest things a family can go thru. When the time comes, my Mom will be moving in w/us, also. I know it's a true test to any relationship. Hang in there & know if ya need to vent, I'm always here for ya. (BV, too) I have my fingers crossed for that new job, also! Hec, I'll cross all body parts, if it will help! HaHa! Your a good man, Charlie, I have the upmost respect for you! Hang in there & give Grandpa a hug for me! (Gf, too!)

July 26, 2011 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. charlie crack

On a lighter note....I'd smurf katy perry in a heartbeat....@mad and I would be squabbin', I've got first dibs bro....lol...."Russell ain't hittin' that right maaan!"

July 26, 2011 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. charlie crack

(not done, sorry). @prezpeace- don't lock clubhouse, may need to go have "moment to self" or a nap later lol..up early this a.m, (grandpa, and homework unfinished from bein' outa pocket, gota go later this a.m and finish paperwork for that job, and my lol is an attempt at my own laughter to ease pain I guess). @prezpeace and BV-Nobody can go wrong w/ the support systems you have for family, keep on movin', don't stop! @ms fernace- you stay witty and tough, i've got you... @mad- watch em' don't let the idiots say off wall sh!t bro.. I know you won't. Wish me luck (you don't really have to, but I need it) Have good day yall....be good

July 26, 2011 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

Hey girls...@prezpeace, @ms fernace, @BV...i'm so glad to see that @prezpeace's mom and @BV dad are doin' good (thank god and god bless yall)....grandpa was jiggling door knob the other day w/ his walker just standin' there like he wanted to get outside :( hurt my heart....can't leave him alone and I just keep an eye out 24/7. Wakes up at all times of nite w/ "messy pants" and sheets so he yells for me constantly.... I have been outa loop for a couple days, i've been at interviews and trying to land this job w/ local NFL team...got offer, now gota reel it in... I think grandpa has thought i'm trying to leave him...(he loves for my girlfriend to stay w/ him though, he tells me all the time). He told me the other day to "tell that boy that was here "that cleans me up in a.m to come back" (that's me he just is'nt putting together since been busy) that hurt too...@ms fernace you are a rappin' young lady and you keep it up...you've got skills ma'am! I will (and @mad ) will always have you all's back and you know it!

July 26, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Peace

Fernace,I saw your song, that was good! You'll have to "sing" us another 1 of your songs again, soon! Saw the troll stuff, thanks to you, Charlie, & Mad for watching my back! BV, You nailed it, 1 day at a time! Not that I wish that on anyone, but, it's nice to have someone who really knows how it feels & can chat about it, ya know? (Charlie, too.) Moral support! Good eve to ya!

July 25, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beautiful Vixen

Lmao ..fernace. That was some good rapping. @Peace: aww thanks for the info. I guess we just have to take one day at a time with this as we do with everything else. Well you two enjoy what's left of the day and try and stay out of trouble :) .

July 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

Hey my women, alecia, Lol & owie, is about right, Peace, Beautiful Vixen. Fwy, the other day some troll was using your name Peace, charlie crack & Mad Raep3er let the fink have it!:) I got in there too, but not quite so forcefully as the men! Lol! And, yes that was me rapping, not a troll! I was just having some fun! What's hillarious on this blog is the description of Snookies lifestory: "she used to be an unknown fist pumper, now she's a famous fist pumper!" That wraps it up in a very tiny nutshell! Sorry to hear about y'alls family members being ill! Kudos to you for being there for them! When it comes down to it, love for family is the most important treasure we get in life! Hang in there, my strong women, good y'all can talk & compare notes!!

July 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Peace

Actually, she's doing pretty good! It takes a lot of patience. It's mostly a forgetful thing. Been about 3 yrs now. Still in her own home w/lots of help from siblings & myself. She takes med to slow progression. It could be waaay worse. She is alone, but, neighbors have ph #'s. She stays steady! (Thankfully!) We just "keep on keeping on", so to say! Time will tell. Hope that helps! :)

July 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Beautiful Vixen

Geezes Timmie, thanks for the visual. I think putting it in ones pocket will just leave a person w/o friends period. @Peace: Oh..guess I didn't miss much. I saw one blog where Fernace was rapping. I'm not sure if it was really her or someone posing as her..lol. My dad is okay. He is still in the much early stages so he is not bad as yet. Thanks for asking though. I'm guessing your mom is pretty bad gone. So what do I need to expect and look forward for with my dad?

July 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. timmie

I love the JUST IN blog. It has many informative post. Plus the trolls over there are way cool. They talk about doodoo and everything! They said if you want to be left alone at work put a fresh piece of doodoo in your pocket each morning. I think that is a super idea!

July 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peace

Nothing hap'd that I know of. He told someone about another blog to check out. I checked it out, too. Fernace goes there, also, I saw. (It's cnn just in blog)Yeah, our man, Charlie, is a good guy! Hey, how's your Dad doing? I wonder about Charlie's Grandpa, too. :( It sux, I'm in same "boat" w/my Mom. C-ya!

July 25, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. Beautiful Vixen

@Itsamemario: I thought the same thing. I guess in a way it makes sense because if they don't want to shell out the money for real talent, we are now stuck with their life stories. Who would have thought that the future stars of Hollywood would be these reality shows people. *rolling eyes* I think I would rather do what Alecia said and peel my skin off and roll around in salt.

July 25, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Beautiful Visxen

Hi Peace, have a great week as well. Hope your weekend was a great one. Did I miss something on one of these blogs? Did something happened with Mad on a blog? Yes Charlie always has everyone's back. Enjoy your day.

July 25, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. Peace

Good am, all! Hope your Mon is going well! Just got caught up on my Marquee reading, wow what a Sun! Thanks for that! Darn trolls anyways! BV, I have to agree w/you about Alecia's post! Too funny & yes, OUCH!!! HaHa! Mad, I checked out that blog you mentioned, quite a variety there! Fernace, I thought same thing about "Dream House". (The Others) Charlie, You always have everyone's back! :) Good day all!

July 25, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  16. itsamemario

*ability

July 25, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  17. itsamemario

i would watch the smurf movie if not for the presence of katy perry. what absolutely no one else was available?
    Also Snooki*s life story? I thought to get a True Hollywood Story you had to be truly of hollywood. No reality stars need or deserve that kind of coverage, just based on the lack of talent or abilitie to perform..

July 25, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. Beautiful Vixen

@Alecia: Lol..Ouch!!

July 24, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. @alecia

LMAO!

July 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. alecia

Boy if there was ever a reason for extraterrestrial life to just fly by and throw gushy stuff at us for fun its this week! Snookis life story and Nick Lacheys wedding! Makes me kinda want to-oh I dont know-peel my skin off and roll around in salt!

July 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |