July 23rd, 2011
02:19 PM ET
The reported death of troubled singer Amy Winehouse at the age of 27 is a sad reminder of several other musical stars who also passed away at the same age.
Known in pop culture as "The 27 Club," this unfortunate collective of stars remains forever frozen in fans minds at that age, with many of them believed to have had their best work yet ahead of them.
With her death, Winehouse joins the group which includes:
- Blues legend Robert Johnson whose cause of death in 1938 has been disputed.
- Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones who drowned in a swimming pool in 1969.
- Singer Janis Joplin who died of an apparent overdose in 1970.
- Rock legend Jimi Hendrix who died of asphyxiation in 1970.
- The Doors lead singer Jim Morrison who died of reported heart failure.
- Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain who committed suicide in 1994.
A book titled "The 27s: The Greatest Myth of Rock & Roll" documents the deaths.
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.