Celebs tweet condolences for Amy Winehouse
July 23rd, 2011

Celebs tweet condolences for Amy Winehouse

As news about the death of British singer Amy Winehouse spread on Saturday, fans and fellow celebrities took to social media to mourn her passing.

DJ Sam Ronson, whose brother Mark helped put Winehouse on the musical map, tweeted "RIP Amy Winehouse" and lamented that "I'm not sure how anyone with a soul can make jokes about the passing of one of the most talented artists this generation will see."

Singer Ricky Martin tweeted "I just found out. I feel pain. I feel anger. Rest beautiful girl rest. You are free! #RIPAMY" while actress Jessica Alba tweeted "So sad about Amy Winehouse -she was so talented. Really tragic."

Demi Moore offered these words via Twitter "Truly sad news about Amy Winehouse. My heart goes out to her family. May her troubled soul find peace" while singer Colbie Caillat said "Amy Winehouse was one of the best singers I've ever heard, I am grateful to have seen her play live. My heart goes out to her family."

Pop star and Winehouse fan Rihanna tweeted "Dear God have mercy!!! I am SICK about this right now! #DearAmy." Seth Meyers said "Years ago [Jason] Sudeikis told me Winehouse's "Valerie" was as good a start-the-day song you'll hear. He was right. I'll miss her."

CNN's Anderson Cooper tweeted "Just heard a report amy winehouse has died. If true, such a waste of a great talent" and rocker Bryan Adams said simply "Dear Amy, you will be missed forever. All my love, RIP, Bryan."

1. Senay

Wonderful story, reckoned we could combnie a few unrelated data, nevertheless really worth taking a look, whoa did one learn about Mid East has got more problerms as well

August 11, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. Claudia

He called me Amy

© Claudia D-G

In muddy waters I've been swimming
    the only thing I knew, was singing
    moments were rare when I felt free

I am poor Amy

It was so dark, that muddy water
    without a man, a son, a daughter
    the earth was not my place to be

I'm poor rich Amy

All days and night I learned the fight
    against myself, lost all my pride
    and no one wrapped his arms around me

to call me Amy

An Angel stands now in my door
    I'm happy like never before
    and he says baby, now you're free

He called me Amy.

July 28, 2011 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Me

It isn't that people are making fun of her death, I think it's sad but wasn't unexpected. The woman was a mess and unfortunately a life was cut short. She should have went to rehab... I'm pretty sure that when the results from her autopsy comes in we will see it was an over dose or something caused from drugs and alcohol.

July 25, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Samantha

it's a shame how insensitive some people are...so i guess every one of you who has made a negative remark is without sin or error...no human is perfect...you have no right to judge this young lady for her human error...you too will be judged one day...R.I.H. MS. AMY WINEHOUSE

July 25, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. kittykatty

Trully, even celebs are awawre the geat talent she possessed.. Hope all the celebs will know how to treasure and value the talent and fame that they have. They only got one shot. Amy's time is over. But for sure she will always be remembered....

July 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anthony

Awesome to see how celebrities ride the coat tails of a tragedy. Great way to put their names out there. This is worse then name dropping.

July 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. charlie crack

@fake peace- please have some respect....if your stirred up, we understand...but if you say things like that you might get slapped so hard your daddy will feel it you classless tw@t...have some sort of cooth....not here, or now....

July 24, 2011 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ron van Esch

A great voice and great talent has gone from us. Like no other you gave your music a sparkling soul, that touched our hearts. That spirit will live on in your music. I hope you have found your peace. We will miss you Amy!

July 24, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. @N

I am a pathetic loser. I troll on ppl when ever I can. I reall like to suck d!ck and eat sh!t. I want to do doo with tracie. Call me tracie 1-800-eat-sh!t. G@y boys 2.

July 24, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Grizzle

Its a shame no one knew the heimlich manure.

July 24, 2011 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. @FakePeace

Really? Pathetic you'd troll on such a story. Have some respect, @sshole. The real Peace never talks like that, we know the difference, loser !

July 24, 2011 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. Peace

Man I wanted to suck her d!ck!G*y boys please call me!

July 23, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Loretta

Too bad she will never hear or see the tweets. Its a sad day for those remaining here especially for her family, however she now is resting, and those of here are the ones who will suffer. A beautiful voice, sadly silenced too early., but maybe now her demons will be gone.

July 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. charlie crack

I thought the same thing @mad....kinda wanted to lay low, but I gota holler back at ya. It is craziness bro.. I tried to help that dude yesterday that was gettin' slammed by the race comments and drama ensued....be good bro...cold one in air to ya....

July 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peace

Back atcha', Mad. (Makes ya wonder, what next?)

July 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. The Måd Råp3r

Yo charlie,peace, and all. Man the news is no fun this weekend, bad craziness everywhere. Keep your heads down everybody and try to have some fun.

July 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. charlie crack

Very good point @mad...(tweet comment).

July 23, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  18. charlie crack

I meant things "going good" @prez peace....typo

July 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. charlie crack

You too @prez peace....hope you've been good....have a restful w/e....be good

July 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sweet24

What a tragedy I loved her music she was so unique and soulful. She brought something new to the music scene what a waste of so much talent. RIP AMY FOR WE WILL CHERISH THE WONDERFUL MUSIC YOU BROUGHT US

July 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Peace

Hey Charlie! (&BV, too, if your out there) Amy said no no no, sadly, not to drugs & alcohol. :( Everybody stay safe for the rest of the w/e.

July 23, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Max

I'm sorry for the loss. I've written something here:

I'm probably adding to the many posts that are already out there about Amy Winehouse...but I have to say, as a recovering addict, I feel right now...there but for the grace of God go I.

July 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. spinner

sosad

July 23, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. cc

A huge loss.. My condulances to family, friends and fans..... RIP.....

July 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. steve olen

Someone go check in on Courtney Love...

July 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Joe

Yes it a tragic

July 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Adam

What are you guys at CNN thinking....unexpected??? Wake up....drugs kill! And to act sooo sad, please, give me a break. When you play with fire, eventually you get burned!

July 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kristine

A couple of weeks ago when she was boo'd off stage for flubbing lyrics and calling out the wrong city name I thought "Wow. She has had so many chances to clean up...She won't be around much longer" I didn't know how right I was...I didn't expect it this soon, though. How sad. Such talent wasted with drugs and excess.

July 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. JAN

my deepest synpathy to her family.she is now in god's loving arms free from the pain and suffering that had taken over her life. a brilliant singer gone too soon!

July 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Katrina Wolf

Here is what Kelly Clarkson posted & it explains exactly the way I feel as well:

I heard the news about Amy Winehouse. I'm incredibly sad. I didn't know her but I met her a few times and got to hear her sing before she blew up. She was a beautiful and talented girl. I'm angry. What a waste of a gifted person. What a shame she saw no hope and continued living her life in that manor. I have been that low emotionally and mentally and that is overwhelming. I keep asking myself why some of us are spared and the others are made examples. I'm very angry and sad. I don't know why it's bothering me so much. Sometimes I think this job will be the death of us all, or at least the emotional death of us all. Maybe that is why as a little kid in sunday school I learned that God didn't want false gods or idols. I thought it was terribly selfish of God as a child but I think I get it now. He didn't want us following people or things that are imperfect and not so much for the followers but for the gods and/or idols who will never be what everyone wishes or needs them to be because we are made imperfect. He knew we wouldn't be able to handle the pressure, the shame, the glory, or the power the spotlight brings. I am distraught. I am also extremely grateful and thankful for the people who love me and support me. Without such amazing friends and family who knows where I'd be. My thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray for peace in your hearts.

This was my response back to Kelly Clarkson:

Kelly, You couldn't have said this anymore beautifully & perfect.....I am sorry you are feeling this way but it is a part of life & she made these decisions herself. I, too wish she had chosen a different path in life since she was extremely talented & it was such a waste of life. However God has taken her from us for a reason or many reasons. I for one, don't questions His decisions. I also will keep her family in my prayers & hope that Amy finally can have some peace. I will pray for yours as well. Thank God you have not chosen this path & I believe you are a wonderful role model & your talents will not go to waste. I know that personally you have helped me in some of my darkest days through your heart & your music.....Again, thank you for posting this.

July 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Eric of Reseda

"DJ Sam Ronson...lamented that "I'm not sure how anyone with a soul can make jokes about the passing of one of the most talented artists this generation will see." I'll tell you how...she set it up by making an ass of herself in public, a THOROUGHLY willing "butt" to any number of jokes. So, people were making fun of her LONG before she died. Then, she ends up a cosmic joke to those of us that WEREN'T CLOSE TO HER, because we see an IMMENSELY talented young girl making tons of money who decides to throw it all away. She never got it. She never knew how blessed she was. While most of us struggle to put on the table for our children, she's wasting 10's of thousands on white powders....So, to all the holier-than-thou that KNEW her, we understand YOUR pain, but don't get high and mighty with the distant strangers who saw one more of the lucky few who MADE IT, throw it all away, rendering them, ultimately, a joke.

July 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. brian mills

who cares about what celebrities have to say , they are part of the machine and most of them could have helped. hoew long ago did cnn write this story waiting to post it . for shame .

July 23, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. charlie crack

Was shocked to see @ such a young age....truly sad.

July 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kristi Kristina

So sad since she truly was a great talent. Lindsay Lohan's next if she doesn't get her act together.

July 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. The Dude

Amy was a good bowler, and a good singer. She was one of us. She was a woman who loved the outdoors, and bowling, and as a surfer explored the beaches of southern California from Redondo to Calabassos. And she was an avid bowler. And a good friend. She died as so many of her generation, before her time. In your wisdom you took her, Lord. As you took so many birght flowering young women, at Khe San and Lan Doc AND HILL 364! These young women gave their lives. And Amy too. Amy...who...who loved bowling.And so, Amy Donald Winehouse, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.Goodnight, sweet princeses

July 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kevin

These celebs are faking it. They don't care about a fellow celeb. Why should they?

July 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Natalie

I first heard the breaking news on Twitter–you never know with all the hoaxes and false news nowadays I had really hoped this one was untrue.

I really enjoy her sound and her music...she'll definitely live on forever in her recordings. 27 is really too young to die. Breaks my heart what addiction can do. RIP Amy!

July 23, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Fortune Cookie

Instead of everyone commenting on the obvious, ust send your condolences. Rest in peace dear Amy....rest in peace.

July 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Takeanotherlook

Am I one of the few that NEVER thought she was any good as a singer anyway.. Just the latest phew put up to be adored by the press. She didn't have talent as good as Lady Ga Ga . Couldn't play any instrument. Was always to HIGH to make her life anything of meaning. She WAS NO ROLE MODEL either. Other then you who are stunning obsessed by those who are pure lovers of themselves. This chic was headed down the 1 way path that lead to the dead end she finally occupies. Mission Accomplished AMY.. hope you are satisfied.

July 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. johnny boy

DEAD ??? I thought she died last year ! ... oh well !

July 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. dawn01

try better that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

July 23, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. J

How is this a surprise to anybody? "Talented" she may have been, but she obviously wasn't the least bit intelligent.

July 23, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sunless

see that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

July 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. BBK

GEEZ, SHE HAD ONE HIT SONG...NO WHERE NEAR HENDRIX, MORRISON OR EVEN JOPLIN..WHAT A CRIME TO MENTION HER IN THE SAME SENTENCE. IF SHE HAD A HISTORY OF HEART PROBLEMS..HEART ATTACK..HISTORY OF CHOKING ON FOOD..CHOKING..HISTORY OF DRUG ABUSE......DA!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Joe Moss

I agree with Sam Ronson, "how can anyone with a soul make jokes about the passing of one of the most talented artists this generation will see." Amy had a gift and she was definitely taken too soon but we will forever have her music. Her Back to Back CD and the B-sides are a staple in my car. I know that she has found the peace that she was looking for here on earth and is no longer in any sort of pain. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

July 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. The Måd Råp3r

Great, more twit-condolences. Grief under a 140 characters is so tasteful.

July 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. madhater

My thoughts and prayers are w/ her family. She was such a whure, she will be missed.

July 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  48. wilson

The train finally ran off the track.

July 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sad

Really pathetic that so many people are interested in Amy winehouse killing herself while Norway goes through a major terrorist attack.

July 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rachel

Your demons are no more, dear Amy. May you forever rest in peace.

July 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jay

I take exception to the fact Bryan Adams is described as a "rocker."

July 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  52. mlc2005

I really hope that the self-induced death of Amy Winehouse does not become bigger news than the senseless MURDER of 94 people in Norway. If it does, we are in very big trouble as a society!!!!

July 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emre

The $166 million juenemdgt against the Jesuits for abusing N.A. for years on end was never paid by the diocese because they had no money. They just filed for bankruptcy, and closed-up shop. And, the vatican is just sitting on their laurels.

August 14, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  53. Frank

It's about time.

July 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. james

shocking!!!!!

July 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  55. sasha

Maybe this will help Lohan realize she is not invincible

July 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. mike

DO I CARE . . .. . NO NO NO . . .

July 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  57. D

Addiction is a terrible disease. Someday, hopefully we will have better treatments. Even though I suspected it would happen someday, it is still shocking when it actually does happen. Sad, sad news.

July 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |