Bicycles will overrun the Champs-Élysées this weekend in Paris as the world’s most prestigious and grueling road race concludes its three week journey across France on Sunday.
For many Americans, the Tour De France is as foreign a subject as Francois Truffaut but the two share something in common. Both bike races and bike movies are perfect to enjoy without moving a muscle.
You may notice that the majority of films on this week’s list were released in the early '80s. Thankfully, our culture’s apathy in cycling recently came to an end, simply because of a little yellow bracelet.
Lance Armstrong’s seven consecutive Tour de France titles (1999-2005) launched an American renaissance in the sport. I’d say Hollywood is due to produce a new wave of cycling films of the same caliber, if not better than the following. Whether you’re a fan of bike riding or not, tell us what you think.
1. "Breaking Away" (1979): “They’re gonna keep callin’ us ‘cutters’” – Mike
2. "American Flyers" (1985): “Enough of this Sunday stroll…let’s hurt a little bit!” – Muzzin
3. "Pee Wee’s Big Adventure" (1985): “I’m a loner, Dottie. A rebel.” – Pee Wee Herman (this love story about a man and his bike could have also been called “The Bicycle Thief”...not really.)
4. "Quicksilver" (1986): “I go as fast as I like” – Jack Casey (checkout the trailer dubbed by the late Don Lafontaine...”In a world where the pressure’s off”...classic 80’s movie trailer.)
5. "E.T." (1982): Makes the list because the film’s climax allows every kid to imagine their bikes soaring off the ground. These iconic images still play before Amblin Entertainment’s films.
Wow ! what an interesting blog.Thanks for sharing this information.Your information is really informative for us.
Nice blog on motorized bikes for sale.
Keep sharing more & more.....
I can think of no better "coming-of- age" film than BREAKING AWAY. IT IS ONE of the century's best films. A bitter comedy that bears comparision with the best films.
Pee Wee for the win. Hands down.
What about the great classic Italian film called "The Bicycle Thief"?
I prefer Quick silver as I am fan of Kevin Bacon. He is just superb in the movie...
gas powered bikes
Great list! Right on time with the Tour De France. I thought about Quicksilver as soon as I saw the topic. I grew up watching that movie! I lived in NYC for many, many years and those messengers are CRAZY!! LOL Have a great weekend!
If anyone feels worried about time flying, I would suggest watching Peewee Herman's Great Adventure. It was the longest 2 hours of my life!
Sunday in Hell (Paris Roubaix story)
Did anyone ever see my Cross Florida video?
#1 – Breaking Away
No brainer for a choice on the list. EASY RIDER hands down. Dennis, Jack and Peter totally rock! Too bad Captain America burned courtesy of an arsonist!
RAD WAS THE BEST BIKE MOVIE EVER! Case closed...Pee Wee Herman, are you F-IN KIDDING ME!
Best bicycle movie should be Herbie the Love Bug
cant believe Cars 2 isn't on the list
best bicycling movie has to be Days of Thunder!
As messed up as what you said was... it was very amusing... I should try that sometime.
That's against the law. Do it in my state – we'll prosecute.
Hopefully you are joking. If not it sounds like you need an anger management class.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 7,739 other followers