Jay-Z and Kanye's single 'Otis' hits Web
July 21st, 2011

Jay-Z and Kanye's single 'Otis' hits Web

Jay-Z and Kanye West fans got another glimpse of what's to come on the duo's album "Watch the Throne" Wednesday as the track "Otis" popped up online.

The single relies on the soulful sample from Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" - hence the song's title - and it supplies a smooth platform for Jay and Kanye to recount how great life has been going these days. If "H.A.M." didn't exactly sit well with you, odds are "Otis" will go down with more ease.

PopDust finds the single to flow "with an infectious coolness, partly because Redding’s signature growls and grunts hang around...while Jay and ‘Ye drop cocky, self-referential rhymes that serve as both a look back on their careers...and describe their current lavish lifestyles."

New York Mag's Vulture critiques, "Even though the two aren't as concerned with sounding clever as they are with sounding like their lives are amazing, both get off their fair share of good shots." MTV believes that based on this single, it's pretty evident that "Jay-Z and Kanye West won't be relinquishing the rap throne any time soon."

If you pre-ordered, expect to be able to listen to the full "Watch the Throne" on August 2. Take a listen to "Otis" here.

Filed under: Celebrities • Jay-Z • Kanye West • Music

1. DonJJ

Them niggres be acting like dirty monkeys.

July 23, 2011 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. DonJJ

Jay-Z and Kanye be rumpin up each other wit their dirty little jig-a-boos. They might also invite Lil Wayne and Wiz Khalifa because they love dirty jig-a-boos also.

July 23, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. talent always wins folks

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4oIzGirxkU&w=640&h=390]

July 23, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  4. charlie crack

@punisher- nevermind bro...my bad..I see you were talking to "Jay-Z". My fault, I got the wrong impression from your post (forgive/forget please and thank you). Still though, I will keep trying to get you to put down your guard about this genre. Be light....

July 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. charlie crack

Memo for ya bro....my buddies don't sample...look em' up, people sample them....so you're pretty insignificant with your unacceptance...give a valid reason without all the b.s.

July 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. charlie crack

@punisher- you directing that towards me? If so based on what? Your hate of hip hop music? All you keep saying is you won't recognize it as music....well 100's of millions do. Jealousy is an ugly trait cuz....

July 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

I ain't your cousin. I ain't jealous neither. I laugh at all the people who think rap is music. It just proves that there are a lot of gullible people who are easily led down a path of soulless mediocrity, filling their ears with noise when there is so much better stuff available.

July 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sanya Wright

Who cares this stuff is lame.Put another hunk like William Levy the model in Jennifer Lopezs' new video on this mutha.

July 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. charlie crack

Want me to prove that I know what I am saying??? Go to YouTube...type Mr. Pookie, Mr. Lucci (very very good friends of mine) look up "crook for life", watch the video...see the front porch they are on...that's a music studio in our neighborhood..all shot in our hometown....then if you still wana battle, grab the mic trick...I will slay you...

July 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. charlie crack

Some very good rap songs have been written about mothers/fathers, sisters/brothers, loss of loved ones, abused women/parents....not always rolex watches and bentleys...the racism is in no way a factor, because as a matter of fact, I am a white male and I will out battle/freestyle ANY of you...PAUSE!

July 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. charlie crack

Just because Crap has r-a-p in it doesn't mean it speaks to that genre of music...it is about the perils of the streets...if you don't like it mash the channel button and listen to whatever you choose. Rap speaks to a certain demographic just like country speaks to "come and take a ride on my big green tractor"-Jason Aldean...It is poetry...so all late poets are crap??? The ignorance and racism is most of the problem...it has no bearing on talent or artistic imagination...

July 22, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Peace

Love it! OR we can call'em,"OOTCKShoes" We'll discuss it at the c-house!!! HaHaHa!!! Ok, I'm outta here, good w/e to ya! :)

July 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. charlie crack

@peace- you make those shoes work it girl...we can call em' "marquee clogs". (just kiddin', for all the ladies that was just a joke, I could never insult/question yalls sense of style)

July 22, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. JAMAL

You crackaz gotta stop impersonating us hard-working African Americans. We do our part; you fools is just triflin by comin on here and pretending... get a life. Yeah, we love fried chicken... it's just too bad you can't afford it for yoselves cause you need mommy and daddy to get you everything like yo wack azz X-Box.

July 22, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. Peace

Hey Charlie! Red is not really my color. I wouldn't give up my fav heels for red bot's. I'll give 'em up when they fall apart! By then will be "off the charts" & I'll have my own custom made shoes! LOL ! :)

July 22, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Royal Q.

I knew you b**tches would wake your sorry pasty or lobster dry red a**es up after that you make me sick.You think everybody envy your low down evil race if other races were honest you'd know how much everyone HATES you.

July 22, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • @ the child with a long infantile alias (butt weasel)

You sit there and complain about African Americans being lazy, yet you are here on CNN Marquee Blog talking smack... how do you explain yourself?

July 22, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jay-Z

smoke on the hot dog. talking sh!t all on the blog. go drop ur f()cking doodie log. then go get ur a$$ a f()cking job!

July 22, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jay-Z

why do ur farts always smell like hot dogs? u f()cking stink

July 22, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. Wow hate

Again another person who can write all he wants because he hides behind a computer. All that non-sense coming off your finger deserve 1 finger. I am not talking about the pinky the the ring finger its the one I put up when Im talking to all these punks. Should take more time to learn to write then to try to pass your ignorance to the next person. So next time hit spell check so it can teach you how to spell. Get that STRAIGHT. And if a community cant understand the difference between reality and what rappers say then thats the issue. Not what they say.

July 22, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

I will accept rap as music when rappers learn to create something COMPLETELY on their own without stealing other people's work to base their songs on.

July 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Wow Hate

Really all it show the hate in this country that so many of us our proud to call home. I am not either black or white. But if its music you dont like then really just dont listen to it very simple. They are not making music for you. And explain how its ok for Charlies Angels to try to make a come back. But nothing said about that. Really if you are not into hip hop then hop off and keep that racism to yourself. Very easy to talk BS when you hide behind a computer. Grow some and then we well talk.

July 22, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

It's not about skin color. You played that card. It's simple. Crap will always be crap. Only some people avoid crap and some gullible people buy it, making others rich for nothing.

July 22, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • @ the punisher

yes, and just because you don't buy rap doesn't mean you're still not buying crap. If you think anything you're listening to right now is quality music then you are sorely mistaken. Unless you're listening to classics, the only thing you're getting is crap... for you to argue otherwise just further proves my point of you being a total tool and an idiot.

July 22, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  20. charlie crack

@peace- that's whatcha call platinum in a day... be wearing red bottoms in no time.

July 22, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. Royal Q.

You a**h*les will never get over the fact that blacks took nothing and mad it into something. Millions of dollars of something,reminiscent of early R&B this generation even have its' Elvis,only instead of Memphis he's from Detroit.Also it wasn't a Colonel that helped him it was a doctor.

July 22, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  22. Peace

@ Charlie & Mad, When you get that all together, BV, Fernace, & I will be your background singers! HaHa!

July 22, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. Kanye West

here lemme wipe yo nose for you.now blow

July 22, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. GAY-Z

I be eatin fried chicken
    And it be so finga licken
    Got me some watamellon
    I be rappin like a felon
    Picken all the cotton
    Befo it gets all rotton
    My mammy clean tha clothes
    Cause I got a runny nose.
    WORD.

July 22, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  25. woodrow

: ) I herd them kneeegrowz use that doodoo as a moistureizer and to keep day skin all dark.

July 22, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Gay-Z

oooga boooga mki jipskial doovp sogao aonslw jawog bifx.

Peace NIGGRA!

July 22, 2011 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  27. Its a drive by

YO Nigs...wut it b? Ize b layn n bet it just a thang foe yo sistuh ovuh here b suckin my waaner yaw!

July 22, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  28. woodrow

it jus be the jiigggaabooo in all of us

July 22, 2011 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. bettytatum

I would be more excited about the album if this was a Kanye solo album, because I think he’s vastly more talented than the overrated Jay-Z. http://bit.ly/n8Q0D4

July 22, 2011 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ronny Mae

How disrespectful.

July 22, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. madhater

Otis is like "sitting on the kok of a gey".

July 22, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  32. charlie crack

@Ms fernace...that's why you're so cool...my brother loved zz top (from houston I think, didn't know that til recently), I love rock, jimi, (didn't hear much joplin), van halen, motley crue, metallica because he jammed it when I was a kid. It's cool to know you write/love music.... I can tolerate country for only so long it's my least fav too...like it, don't love it....you're awesome ms fernace...have a good nite...talk to ya soon....you too @mad yall be good

July 22, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  33. Scott Sizzle

Yo, I just heard the single...saddest and most pathetic thing I've heard in years. The song was so disjointed. Sampling Otis coulda been hot. The formula was right, but they missed the mark by a mile. I've got Reasonable Doubt about Jay's skill as an artist. Dude done lost it. Kanye never had it. Sad day for hip-hop music. Jay shoulda hung it up after The Black Album.

July 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. fernace

Hey charlie & mad, I used to listen exclusively to R&B, could not get hard rock at all! Until I got a hard rockin' boyfriend & he taught me to appreciate ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd, Janis & Jimi. Then my country friend taught me to appreciate country, though it's still my least fav! The beauty of music is in the ear of the listener, & I'm glad my appreciation has expanded from just 1 genre! Of course I'm a singer/ songwriter so music has been my life & I'm forever listening to new(or old) & unusual! But my point is, it all comes down to opinions! Good to hear from y'all tonite, have a good 1!!

July 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. charlie crack

@mad- if you made that beat and I wrote lyrics and you laid it down we'd be rich too....

July 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. charlie crack

@mad- I know...you're right...completely...just say "commercial"...lol...but you know you atleast gave it a chance bro...and you're not slammin' it so you're bein real cool bout' it....just listen 1 more time and you know they rode otis' wail to produce that beat...lyrics mediocre

July 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  37. charlie crack

That's my @Ms fernace. To each his/her own. I am open to it all.....be good....you too @mad

July 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. The Måd Råp3r

Ugh, its more Otis than them. I say this next part as a crappy pseudo-producer/dj, "Sampling with modern tecnology is so easy its a joke."
    1) Get Ableton(or whatever you use)
    2) Warp so beats/vocals line up
    3) EQ/Effects
    4) You are now Kanye/Jigga(minus the høs)

July 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. steve

i thought those two thugs were dead!

July 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JAM

Like every other music today including country it's all about the C word.

July 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. the punisher

country IS music, but rap is a 4-letter word. it starts with "C". talking over a sampled (stolen)piece of music will NEVER equal writing your own lyrics and playing a real instrument!

July 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • the poopunisher

Shut up and some doodoo you whiney little girl.

July 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • [lol] (@ the punisher)

You sound like a rock enthusiast.

Actually, hate to say it... but rappers do write their own lyrics... the lyrics aren't sampled... the beats are. A lot of non-rap artists sample beats or remake songs all the time; what makes rap different? At the other guy who responded to you, I agree... rap is a sellout culture now and only caters to thugs and obnoxious people. In a way, rap IS crap, but it wasn't always this way... a shame. Once one genre goes down, the rest will follow suit (except country because it's always the same... good or bad you be the judge).

July 22, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  42. Adeina

They're no different than the Jews and Wasps in Hollywood that rip off,sequel and remake everything they can get their greedy hands on.

July 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. fernace

Rap & hip hop have been around since the late 70's, obviously artists of these genres are doing something right! It is called sampling ,but it's also paying homage to the acts they want to give props to, such as Otis, James, the Temps, EWF etc. If you don't like rap that's your biz, but recognize that it's just an opinion! I have 1 too & dig the sh!t outta rap. Don't like country too much, though, but wont knock those who do!!

July 21, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  44. charlie crack

To be quite honest Otis makes the beat good.....period. And without it wouldn't work. He's a legendary bad @ss.

July 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  45. charlie crack

(pretty clever line) But, on another note good beat, verses/flow good from both always....@punisher- you're good man..don't let em' rile you up....you are right sampling is biting.

July 21, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. charlie crack

"....if you ain't accustomed to customs you ain't been goin' huh?"- Kanye "Otis".

July 21, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  47. the punisher

"get the album when it drops?" you mean when it plops outta kanye's a$$! i ain't jealous, ANYONE can rap. REAL music takes talent, not macho swagger and bull$h!t!

July 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ the DUMB punisher

If ANYONE can rap, how about you spit us a few lines... doubt that's going to make any headlines or get you noticed.

People who sit there bashing rap probably do so because there's no singing involved. Rap is an art, and whether you believe it to be music or not, you're just as insignificant as those who don't believe golf is a sport... maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but the last time I checked, golf is a sport and rap is a genre in music. So, keep your pea-brained opinions to yourselves if you have nothing better to say. I'm not a fan of rap, but it is what it is. Today's rap is garbage, but the genre wasn't always like this... it's a shame these rappers are all sellouts... no one really sees what true rap is all about anymore... always drugs women and money now...

July 22, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

Rap has always been cr@p. Musical plagarism and bad poetry about b!tches n 'hos. Like I said before, a shallow and limited genre, but don't you dare call it music! Perhaps it will be effective in driving third-world dictators out of their fortified compounds. Try it on Qadaffi!

July 22, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • [lol] (@ the punisher)

The more you talk, the more you spew ignorance.

It hasn't always been about women, drugs, and money. Some rap described the social issues affecting their communities growing up. Some rap described persecution and overcoming racism. Some paint a picture and a story of their lives unfolding... stop listening to mainstream and take a look at some classics before you write with such incompetence.

I assume you were born after 1990 to be making such blind comments.

July 22, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. Its a SHAME

Its a shem how they have butchered otis redding's song..smh

July 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. nerp

Yooooooou'rree nooooot blaaaaaaaack. tee hee.

July 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Hey Yo

Hey Yo, this joint is funky funky fresh yo! It's all that & a bag of chips. I was raisin' the roof & whoomp, there it is'n & all that. Fo shizzle! Off the chain YO!

July 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kanye West

"I get it custom youre a customer" Stop yo hatin the Otis' sample fits well with the flow and accents the beat u dummies just dont know how to do it so u knock it

July 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Amy Jo

Luv it! Me and my brother make out to this song in our trailer.

July 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. The Måd Råp3r

Saw a clip of Otis at some oldhead music festival from back in the day. The energy radiating off him, even forty years later on some grainy video, when he took the mic was insane. It was some real deal rick-james-orange-aura sh¡t. Not hatin but neither of these two come close to that.

July 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Big Boy

This song is hot! @ boocat, shut up!

July 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Q

It's called sampling poocat

July 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

It's called plagarism. Scamming, five-finger-discount, whatever you call it, it's not an original work. It just means you don't have the talent to do it all yourself. The more you rely on sampling and auto-tune & other gimmicks, the less soul and humanity your music has.

July 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Otis Redding

@ boocat, shut yo nerdy, lame, white ass up! Can u do better? Thats what I thought! The song is raw! If Eminem, Vanilla Ice or Justin Timberlake made this, u would say its the best song ever.

July 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

More rap "look at how cool I am" swagger, riding on the back of someone else's creativity. Boocat got it right, it's plagarism. If this was a school project, they would both get an "F"! Rap is a shallow and limited genre, surely not to be confused with real music!

July 21, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

I like this and something different as well. This will get so much air play but i rock xm radio but will get the album when it drops.

July 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Ahnold

they can watch the throne after I'm finished & wash my hands

July 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  58. boocat

These guys aren't artists. They're plagiarists. Now they're stealing from Otis Redding. Who buys this garbage anyway?

July 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonylegend

Kayne and Jay-Z are both illuminati sell outs.... its time to expose them and take back the music industry. RIP 2pac http://www.sonylegend.com

July 22, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |