'Grey's Anatomy' star Eric Dane enters rehab
July 20th, 2011

'Grey's Anatomy' star Eric Dane enters rehab

Eric Dane's not a doctor - he only plays one on TV - but he does know when it's time to seek treatment.

A rep for the "Grey's Anatomy" star confirmed to CNN that he has "voluntarily checked himself into a treatment facility to help him get off pain medication that he was prescribed for a sports injury that he suffered over the recent hiatus."

Star magazine reported that the 38-year-old had checked in to a Los Angeles rehabilitation clinic for a 30-day stay, as posted on RadarOnline. According to a "friend," the actor felt he "had too much to lose," seeing that his wife Rebecca Gayheart is pregnant with their second child. The couple already has a one-year-old daughter, Billie Beatrice.

According to the site, "Grey's" resumed production on July 19, and his rep says that Dane "reports back to work this week. Business as usual."

Filed under: Celebrities • Grey's Anatomy

1. Finrod Felagund

It sounds like a lot of people here have horror stories about addiction to painkillers. It's so scary when you understand how easy it really is to become dependent on drugs to make you just feel like a normal human being.

July 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. angel

glad he seeked help. he too damn fine!

August 7, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Tina

Well said @theRealDeal. On another note, Eric Dane should play Brad Pitt's brother in a film. They resemble each other a lot.

July 21, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. KAC

It's not drug addiction... it's called "Man... my career is in the crapper and I need some attention – I know... I'll go to rehab!! " Seems to work for everyone else !

July 21, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. gary

I heard he hates gay people, read it on a CNN news. He blatantly said "I hate them gaybos".

July 21, 2011 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • MD

No, he just hates you, Gary. Idiot.

July 21, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
    • AJ

So? what is the connection exactly even if he said something like that. Every individual got a right to have their own opinion

July 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leeni Reich

Eric Dane is such a handsome man. I wish him the best. Good luck, Eric. I had a recent sports injury, too. I play co-ed softball on a team. I got hit in the face with a softball, during practice. I had a black eye for weeks. I wonder what his sports injury was. Anyone know? Just curious. He might have strained or broken something, like a knee or an ankle, or something else. Us athletes keep playing, because we love the sport, the injuries are all part of the game. He must have been in a lot of pain. I hope he feels better. I hope rehab helps him and that his life is good.

July 21, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. charlie crack

Man on a 100% serious note. I had a friend that went through the pain pill deal. It sucks for them and others around themm when they are not feeling well. I would even take them, better yet steal them out of his bottle of 120qty so that when he felt bad I would have backup since he took them SO fast. We were in division 1 baseball so was sports related, but them being sick is hard to deal w/ and when you care about someone you'll do anything to make them feel better...(ok, im done...and that's the only emotional post you'll ever see me make, never again)

July 21, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dr House

I'm about to have a 3some with Vicodin and loritab

July 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. alecia

Another suggestion for all of us with a problem is when a painkiller makes you sleepy you dont need it anymore. You can go cold turkey but some meds its more dangerous to do so. Good luck to Dr. McSteamy!

July 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mike

Say no to pills for pain and yes to cannabis.

July 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cleveland Steamer

"Sports injury". Sure.

July 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. helloeyes

Too many doctors are prescribing narcotics. I heard a few 20-something girls at work talking about what they had been prescribed – all narcotics. They were prescribing these narcotics for aches and pains, not sports injuries – and they also did not realize that narcotics are addictive.

July 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sandra

Really "Corey Haim"? You are not funny in any way. Addiction is serious; you are a fool.

July 20, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dementer

It's weird, some people go through years of abusing substances and never go to rehab and this guy goes to rehab after a few months?? Don't they have will power in Hollywood? Do a little drug , boom rehab, first sign of trouble in the marriage boom, divorce.

July 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. common sense guy

Pain medication addiction is what publicists put out when their clients are going through cocaine or heroin rehab. It's more socially acceptable.

July 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Yeah? I've heard this before from other cellar dwellers in Wisconsin who have never even been to Hollywood much less know anything about the personal addictions of the actors who work there. How do you know this? Let me guess: you read it People magazine?

July 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Sure John, as if what happens in Hollywood and with the celebs is SO important in our daily lives. After all, how could we ever manage to go on as a society without knowing what is happening in Hollywood?? Besides, all L.A. is is a crap hole full of self absorbed wannabees trying to fulfill a pipe dream that will never come to fruition, and who actually perceive TMZ as being news (or important for that matter). Not to worry, someday you will grow up and understand (and perhaps the rest of the world will stop laughing at you).

July 21, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

You got that right!

July 21, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tumblin' Dice

Never been on pain meds, but they must really do a number on you. Does anyone ever just stop taking them and that's that? Seems like everyone who takes them needs an intervention to get off of them. Or, maybe we just hear about those and not the others.

July 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • From experience

My fiance had surgery and he had a very strong prescription. I was extremely proud of him because he read up on addiction symptoms and how to nip them in the bud. Long story short, once he was at a tolerable level of pain, he slowly decreased his dosage (which if you do research, they tell it's the best way). He went from a whole pill every 4-6 hrs to 1/2 pill, to a 1/4 of a pill until he was off. Hope this helps others.

July 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • the Real Deal

I have been on pain meds for years for 3 physical problems from Rheumatoid Arthritis to degenerative spine disease and more. I am followed by Pain Management and my various other doctors. Would I physically go thru withdrawal at this point? Yes. Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done at this point, is medicate. I am looking forward to a back surgery though. Crossing my fingers on that one. AM I mentally addicted to these meds? No. Do I get "high" from these meds? No.

When one has so much consistent pain, literally 24/7, the pain "uses up" the pain meds so there is no high. There is literally nothing left over for such a good feeling or high. There is only a small to moderate relief of pain that allows me to function.

It is only when there isn't enough pain, if you will, for the meds that people get addicted to the "high" they feel as their pain lessens. That's why people with no physical problems can get high on these meds. There's no pain to correct or interact with, to put it plainly and not in medical lingo.

There are those of us out there needing our pain meds to live, to walk, to pick up our kids, to take them to camp, to do the laundry. And we are not addicts seeking a high. We are people taking control of uncontrollable physical conditions that make them essential. Without my pain meds, I would have taken my life years ago. The pain is just too great.

Perspective. Everything is a matter of perspective.

July 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

They do indeed do a number on you . . . many people do stop taking them with no problem but I think for a lot of people, they don't see prescription drugs as a problem because you can get them at Walgreens vs a street corner. Kudos to Eric for seeking help BEFORE he ruined his life, that takes cajones :)

July 21, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Angela

I have been on pain meds after surgery and never had a problem. I was so paranoid that I would get addicted that I'd only take it if I was in serious pain. (No history of addiction but I have heard so many stories about people getting addicted). Maybe more people are sensitive to it than others??

July 21, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. Barneyjake

Pain med addiction is HORRIBLE and the DT's will make you wish you were dead. Thank goodness he's being smart about this and getting the right help. It can happen to anyone...yes, that means you unfortunately. Good luck Mr. Dane.

July 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. fernace

Wow, this dudes been through the wringer. Last year he went through treatment for lip cancer, now sports injury meds & he & Rebecca are having another baby, too! Well, at least he knows the right direction to take, here! Good luck to him, wish him well & the family, too, on the new little one!!

July 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Consuela

His wifes last name was Gayheart

July 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  20. opiates.com

Opiate dependency is a serious medical condition that has to be treated by doctors. Eric realized he had and issue and looked for help before damage was done regardless of what people would think or say. It takes a lot of courage and determination to look for help. Wish him all the best

July 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • stuart bonkers

Eric Dane... who? never heard of him

July 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenniferLopez

Pretty little thing, that's who he is Bonkers.

July 21, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

Oi-ye Jenny, como esta? Hey, now that you're single how about giving this homeboy a try?

July 21, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Ashj

true. its not easy to get rid of pain killer addiction. so he admitted that he got a problem and he is man enough to seek treatment before its too late.... Go McSteamy :)

July 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |