Big drama, big hair on 'Pretty Little Liars'
July 20th, 2011

Big drama, big hair on 'Pretty Little Liars'

We might not have learned anything new about A on last night’s episode of “Pretty Little Liars,” but we did learn something even more important: don’t wear sticky lip gloss to make out with your crush.

“It’s all fun and sexy until somebody hacks up a hair ball.” Noted.

In keeping with stereotypical high school affairs, this week the girls participated in a fashion show. And with any big event comes big drama ... and even bigger hair.

Something fishy is going on between Spencer’s dad and Alison and Jason’s mother, Jessica DiLaurentis. For whatever reason, he’s not happy that Jason is back in town.

But, like Jessica says to her late daughter’s friends over lunch, Jason recently came into family money and he can choose what to do with it. After sipping on her Bloody Mary, Jessica gives the girls Alison’s old designer dresses to model in the fashion show, and asks them to put a slideshow together in her memory.

Later on, Aria meets up with Jason to choose pictures for the slideshow. He gets defensive when she shows him a picture of Ali from the day she disappeared. Insisting he has no recollection of that day, he gets up and storms off.

While Spencer’s father and Jessica argue backstage at the fashion show, Hanna's parents seem to be getting along nicely. So are Hanna and Caleb, who showed up to support her without her asking. (The kid can wear a suit.) Samara showed up for Emily, too. Except the gesture was lost when she ventured backstage holding hands with another girl. I thought she was one of the good ones.

After a few dramatic trips down the runway, it’s time for Alison’s tribute. The four girls pose at the end of the catwalk while the video plays behind them.

About 30 seconds in, lights begin flashing and flames and the words “Monster” and “bitch" appear on the screen. Noel, who Mona hired to DJ, insists he can’t turn the slideshow off, but Spencer manages to pull the right plug.

We should have known you-know-what was going to hit the fan when Noel asked Spencer if she wanted to take a look at the video before the fashion show began. Maybe next time she'll say yes.

"A" writes: “My dresses, my rules.”

Aria heads back to the dressing room to grab her things when she’s confronted by Noel. He asks if she wants the CD back. But Jason comes to the rescue, breaking the “unplanned finale” in half.

After Noel leaves, Jason tells Aria he came back to Rosewood to put the pieces of his sister’s murder together. Though, it’s more likely he came back to figure out who wrote the note he woke up with after Ali’s disappearance.

Either way, the candles on the table beside Aria and Jason spelled out the letter “A.” And, at the risk of sounding paranoid, they looked to be pointing right at Jason.

The episode ended with our black-gloved friend shopping for a pair of black leather boots online. Who lives at 5214?

Do you think Emily moving in with Hanna is a good idea? What does Spencer’s dad have against Jason? Are you glad Hanna’s parents might be getting back together?

What did you think of last night’s episode?

1. Dort

Hanna's dad want his cake and eat it too. I think he'll skip out on them again when the drama with his fiance cools down. Hanna and her mom are going to get hurt – again. Loving some Caleb. He and Hanna fit. He really cares for her. Hope it lasts. Emily has a new "girl" every other week. She sure forgot about Mya quick enough when Paige was sniffing around. Paige all of a sudden hasn't been seen in school or swim meets and Samara shows up on a high school campus a great deal. Not feeling her. Em shouldn't stay with Hanna, "A" will squash that soon enough. Fritz is a wimp and Aria seems at times to be too mature for him. She's realizing that also. Jason has her intrigued and something maybe starting there. Getting sick of Spencer also. Noel and Mona....MMMMM

July 21, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nameless

Everyone thinks Fitz is so much older than Aria but basically he is fresh out of college so that would probably make him around age 23ish. I'm not really too big on the whole Aria and Fitz relationship regardless but I'd rather Aria and Fitz than Aria and Jason. Jason is just too creepy and I think he killed Ali and is blocking it out. I don't trust him. Who is he hiding in his house and why? Aria needs to stay away in my opinion. I have my theories on what is going on with Spencer's Dad and Jessica and why Spencer's Dad is not happy about Jason's return but I've read the books and don't want to spoil it for anyone. I know the tv show is going in a different direction with the books in some ways but I think with this story line and these characters it may just stay the same. I'm happy for Hannah that her parent's may be getting back together and find it weird that out of all of the girls Emily's Mom, the conservative one, picked Hannah's Mom to watch over Emily. I mean granted none of girls Mother's are really ever around BUT Idk it just striked me as odd.

July 21, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. LGray

I hope hannah's parents get back together! And to all the haters out there about aria and ezra... its a show, so what he was her teacher? they met before that, and he is young. at least he's not 30! I love PPL!!!

July 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Heather Drags

This is random, but when 'A' was ordering the boots online, the brand was Tory Burch. A few episodes back I remember Hanna saying to the therapist that she liked her Tory Burch boots. I wonder if there is a connection or just a coincidence.

I'm obsessed with this show!

July 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiarAnonymous

Thank you for noticing that too! Hanna mentioned that she didn't know those boots came in brown. I'm assuming that A will be sending them to her. There has to be a connection! Maybe A will use the boots to blackmail Hanna! Seriously <3 this show!

July 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bailey

I think Emily should stay with Spencer.. she seems to always be home alone in that creepy house!

I really like the idea of Hanna's parents getting back together.

Also, I love Aria and Mr. Fitz.. Why does everyone hate them together??

July 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AMom

Because it's illegal and creepy. It sends the wrong message to teenage girls.

July 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • LGray

I think aria and ezra are perfect for each other! Its not weird, he's young and they met before he was her teacher! If you disagree, well then you are just stupid. Its a entertainment show, get over it!!

July 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Burt Reynolds

Free mustache ride!

July 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jt

please don't say anything if you've read the books

i started watching this show as a joke to impress a girl i liked (i'm 24), so as a guy, that fashion was awwwful to watch. and just to vent, i think spencer is the worst of the four of them. i was happy mona punked her. and i bet spencers a terrible kisser also. her and toby together are almost painful to watch. also, toby and lucas are hands down the two worst characters on the show

and where was mona during all that alison stuff at the end of the show? and why is it such a big deal that caleb went without hanna asking? kid is all class now, his thug days of selling app's on the blackmarket are behind him

July 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

You read my mind, jt. Spencer's starting to bug me. The Liars have every right to be cautious but she just seems to go looking for trouble, especially with her sister. Not to mention that she refuses to let Ian stay buried. Particularly, sometime during the episode, she repeated for like the millionth time that Ian tried to kill her. Its like, "Really?? We had all forgotten." Lastly, I agree that she and Toby are hard to watch.

July 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. looc9

wow! i don't really think emily living with hanna will be a good idea. i mean, two A targets in one house! easy to attack!
    spencer's dad might know about the "jason thing" and think that jason is a bad guy cause of that
    i'm not too glad about hanna's parents getting back together. that will end in disaster!

even though i wanted a little more from A, it was a fun episode to watch. im still wondering about the boots and who's address that is!

July 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |