The story behind Kate Hudson's baby name, Bingham Hawn
July 15th, 2011

The story behind Kate Hudson's baby name, Bingham Hawn

Unconventional celebrity baby names (we're still waiting on some star to say they went with John or Jennifer) always seem to spark the question of where the inspiration came from.

New parent Matt Bellamy, who welcomed a son with fiancee Kate Hudson last Saturday, explained that their pick of Bingham "Bing" Hawn Bellamy is simply keeping it in the family.

The Muse musician tweeted, "For those wondering, Bingham is my mum's maiden name and Bing Russell was Kurt's dad. Family connections all round!"

The middle name, of course, is a nod to Hudson's mom Goldie Hawn, who has been with actor Kurt Russell for years.

"Mum and baby are strong and healthy," Bellamy tweeted. "Mum was a warrior" during the July 9 delivery, he added, saying that "Bing popped out after 4.5 hours of intense pushing!"

Filed under: Celebrities • Kate Hudson

1. Bill brasky

She named her baby after the sound a BB makes when fired at a tin bucket. It could be worse, however. She could have named it "Rock" or even "Bottom"after another family member. Celebrities are taking advantage of every tax break there is in this country. Why can't we have some kind of fun at their expense? We're technically paying for it. And as far as her need to make a phone book directory-clan of children, what's the big deal? I'm sure that her Latino and British (I bet there's at least one Brit JUST to look fancy) 'round the clock nannies don't mind it at all. Lighten up guys, they're celebrities. They're not real people lol.

July 18, 2011 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Goldendeez253

I guess you could say thats a crazy way to come up with a name but if they caredwhat i think they would be paying me for my thoughts.

July 18, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Zena

I care so I comment. This is only her 2nd child and her oldest son was born into a marriage. Ok so that marriage didnt work out-it was a "starter marriage". She is allowed to have another child and marriage. Dont hate on babies Casey Anthony!

July 18, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. wonder

I love reading stuff like this but it blows my mind when people read articles such as this one and then complain about how they dont care or dont want to hear about celeb stuff. if you dont care dont read it.

July 18, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hugh G. Rection

You two are sick. Grow up! "Harry P. Ness" and "Ben Dover" and discussions of bodily discharges?! Let's be respectful of Kate Hudson - even though she IS engaged to marry someone who looks like my mama's buthole.

July 18, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ben Dover

Me too! Did Kate Hudson do the poopie diaper or was it her ugly husband? And why did they freeze it? Preserving it for posterity, no doubt. What color was it? Poo brown or was it one-o-them mustard green color poo's? And what's with your name, Harry? "Harry P. Ness"? That's a good one!

July 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Harry P. Ness

I wanna hear more about that stinky frozen poop diaper!

July 17, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. me again

Very funny.....itdiots

July 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. me again

Why the hell should I comment ,if u idiots dont bother to print it?

July 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*Develle Jones

Congratulations from Michigan!!

July 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Name*Becky

I am so happy that finally you are going to love and enjoy your son. Kate don't worry what people say just do what is best for your son and move on with your life. I love any movie that you do because God has given you a special gift that shines and you share

July 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. oh my

@Lev...says who? You? A mere mortal? Ha! Think again! Boy are YOU in for a surprise!

July 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mandy

I have two kids by two different father, poop happens, get over it. And I love the fact that they have picked family names. Just congrat. them. And leave her alone. God Bless you and your baby Kate!

July 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mice

So it's a different name. (my name isn't really mice) i'm named after an author. i grew into it as an adult. he can always pick a nickname when he gets older or if he is really annoyed change it. at least it's not potato or something.

July 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

Bing, I suppose, is no better or worse than any of the other star-baby names out there, like Bronx, Kingston & Zuma etc. Let's just hope the child looks like his mom, cause his dad is 1 ewwugly dude! And women throw themselves at him? Maybe they're hoping to flatten him?!

July 17, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JesusSaves

Jesus still saves. :-) :-)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWLk_u-_BKE&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ZBlLU7XIQ&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--l0M963b5A&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbXKC0FKLsU&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0z1RWar-nk&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6RoO6rK5aw&w=640&h=390]

July 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JesusSaves

Remember. Jesus saves. :-)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ZBlLU7XIQ&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--l0M963b5A&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTy5d6fu9_U&w=640&h=390]

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmir3r2j3EQ&w=640&h=390]

July 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Orange

I love Kate. Shes adorable. But the babys name reminds me of Bing Bang Bing Ricochet Rabbit.

July 17, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. charlie crack

@mr ed- did she yet?? Geez...whats up w/ all that....

July 17, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  20. claire

Happy your baby name
    Is Randy Kurt I like name
    I hope congratoin for baby boy?
    Good luck.

July 17, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  21. Terry

Congratulations with your newborn child and may you all have a healthy, happy life.

July 17, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. odiva

First of all Tracie she only has two kids. Second, why does everyone have to pass negative judgments about her? She just had a baby. Either congratulate her and keep it movin or shut the hell up.

July 17, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  23. odiva

First of all Tracie she only has two kids. Second, why does everyone have to pass negative judgments about her. She just had a baby. Either congratulate her and keep it movin or shut the hell up.

July 17, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  24. R.kay

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..all yall funny...

July 17, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  25. vburkins

If she has 50 kids by 50 men and name them all george their problem let them be.if she like it we should all love it and keep our thoughts to ourselves.

July 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bell

That's actually a nice name & the explanation makes alot of sense. Good for them :).

July 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mr. Ed

I'm still waiting for Anna to lick my balls..lol

July 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Arivera201150@yahoo.com

If this was a poor girl from the ghetto news media would have a field day.what counts is that she loves and takes good care of him.who are we to judge her shame on all of you.

July 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Pam

At least they used family related names n didn't name him after some fruit r n airplane n opinions r like A–holes everybody has one.

July 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. annbel

U̶̲̥̅̊ can give her d name dat suit her an U̶̲̥̅̊ her partens an d commoner!

July 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. denise

Thanks chuck, you are right. We should be more concerned with the failing economy in the country and less about who someone sleeps with. When our system falls apart you will have plenty of time to blog and tweet and facebook because you wont have a job. Maybe you don't now

July 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. chuck

Who even cares. Your country is falling apart and this is what you blog to? Wow.

July 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  33. humberto

It works .

July 16, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. jct

Hi

July 16, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  35. satana

Stfu bout satan you dumbazz

July 16, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • humberto

July 16, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. humberto

How come cribs don't come with nets to go over the top ?

July 16, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  37. deanna stubbs

Congrads! Have a bless life!! Yall look so happy!!

July 16, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. Joan

I absolutly love kate so anythin she does am ok with it

July 16, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  39. Twin

Who cares wut they name their baby its their bussiness

July 16, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  40. stargirl

I love the idea of these totally psycho names. The weirder the name , the more you tend to stand out. I am so sick of going to a school where there are about 15 Brittany's and 15 Josh's. Like come on. Choose another name. Anything . Please.

July 16, 2011 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  41. marcy eaglecloud

In our traditional ways we have our Government names, that we use in our everyday life and we have our Spirit Names which is bestowed upon as a tribute to the Creator and to our forefathers. A name is just that, its how one lives and contributes to society and only then will your name be remembered. If memory serves me right Joseph was a great stepfather. Blessings to the Lil one and the family. Peace be with you all.

July 16, 2011 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  42. amo

she's an idiot like me toamo@gmail.com ann marie olsen

July 16, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  43. humberto

She must have a little britain in here .

July 16, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  44. yummy

Wow that is bangable, I'll do it

July 16, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  45. Missy

Not our place to judge others. I have 2 boys from 2 dads, one from high school and one from my husband who has raised my oldest since he was 1. When I go to church noone looks down on me and my kids are great. Love the name Bingham and what it stands for – nothing wrong with wanting to be different

July 16, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  46. william tomow

Cant everyone just mind their own business? Who care what the rich and famous name their babies!

July 15, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  47. CC

what.in the world is our society coming to? Bless this child and parents with a long happy and healthy life!

July 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tanya

Every parent names their child what they want! It was my choice to name my children and her choice to name him bing...a bit strange but her choice! It was your choice to name yours right? Get over it and move on!

July 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jacqueline

u call having babies by different men/women joy and happiness? picture their family photo: 3 children, 1 mon and 3 dads. the kids must be awkwardly happy!

July 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lev

You are a nut. Who cares how others choose to live. they all don't mind. Why do you? I think you are jealous. and probably retarded.

July 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

She now has 2 kids. She was married to the father of her first child. People who live in glass houses.....
      Come on people – be tolerant of others. If you dont like the way they live; look away.

July 18, 2011 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  50. beans

Im really ughly and funny lookin. Maybe she will hook up with me. . . . . naaaaaah. . . . .dont guess id want her.... . . she already got kids plus aint too pretty herself.

July 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Melissa

Congratulations to the happy couple and their newborn!!! All of those against joy and hapiness can go to H E L L!!!

July 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jacqueline

Looks like she's trying to break her mother's babies daddies record. Americans, especially celebrities, have lost all sense of godliness and decency. they have babies out of wedlock, marry today divorce tommorrow and married again... and the most ridiculous is the utter nonsense called "open marriage." the name itself tells u it's satan inspired.

July 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

If you're such a Christian, why not focus on your own sins and shortcomings before worrying about the sins of others? I am pretty sure that's what Jesus would say to you. And I am also pretty sure you are not perfect so there is probably a few things you could work on.

July 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • kerry

Its her 2nd (I'm pretty sure)...that's all. Why does it matter to you who she sleeps with?

July 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joel

Another right wing religious fanatic heard from.

July 17, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Lio

@Christina you are missing the point. We are to look after our own sins but also help others realize their sins so they have the hope of heaven.

July 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lev

No such thing as heaven Lio. People need to stop believing in fairy tales.

July 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lio

Not fairy tale...truth!

July 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  53. granville robinson

John is such a nice name I think the should go with john all the best ok...

July 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  54. fernace

Until I started frequenting these blogs, I had No Idea how many people have poop fixations! Live & learn, I guess!!

July 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • hamburger steak

I understand Kate can turn baby doo doo into a fine and tasty pimento cheese spread.

July 18, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  55. Lucy

She does hook up with ugly men. Now that I know the name history, I think it's great. I don't think she will follow through though with the wedding. I bet they will part within a year.

July 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Ann54

maybe they were planning on using the baby as an internet search engine

July 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mar

Wow, can she pick some fugly men...

July 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Rodriguez

Not as ugly as you... once I'm done shooting those roids, I'm coming over with a Louisville Slugger.

July 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. tracie

You should trying smelling frozen dirty diapers.

July 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rolyat

How many kids, by how many different men will she have ? Right now she's on track with her Mother.

July 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. badlawn

reads like "bring it on"

July 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Baysidegal

You are disgusting!

July 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  62. humberto

A chef would be a good idea for a baby shower gift .

July 16, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  63. Freddy FuudgeHole

Baygal, you sound fun. I would like to sniff your doookied in drawers.

July 18, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |