Chris Colfer learned he's leaving 'Glee' from Twitter
July 15th, 2011

Chris Colfer learned he's leaving 'Glee' from Twitter

If you found out that Chris Colfer isn't returning to "Glee" for season 4 from the Internet, you've got something in common with the actor - that's how he, too, discovered his eventual departure.

On Wednesday, "Glee" creator Ryan Murphy told the Hollywood Reporter that the characters Colfer, Lea Michele and Cory Monteith portray are "graduating" after season 3. “We’ve never done anything by the book,” Murphy said. “We made that decision and I involved Chris and Lea and they thought that was a good idea. They both trust the writing and trust me and felt that it would be great to have an open and closed experience for them to go out while they were on top.”

Emmy nominee Colfer didn't seem to know that it would be so soon, as he told Access Hollywood that he learned of the news on Wednesday from Twitter.

“Yeah I found out that they made that announcement," he said. "I didn’t necessarily know that it was going to be our last season next year, I knew something like that was coming up eventually. I mean, we can’t be there forever...I don’t necessarily want to leave so soon, but I mean, it’s fine. It’s what it is. And all things come to an end."

The 21-year-old actor, who's got plenty of other projects to fill any "Glee"-less time, added that he's had a good run on the show.

"As a performer, I feel so fulfilled," he said. "I have two Emmy nominations and just from hearing from people out in the world about how much the character has helped people. If it's time for a conclusion, I'm fulfilled with it, and I'm fine with it."

Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. Lacey

Nope never watched the show. It's lame. They just plaster his gay face all the time. He needs to grow a pair and quit saying he was born that way. He chose to kiss men instead of women. And he chooses to talk and walk like that. It's a choice. He chose it.

July 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lytabunny

Careful, your extreme ignorance and bigotry is showing...

July 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I really don't think anyone would choose to be gay. I mean, people like you are that very reason. A gay person has no ability to properly live a life because of people like you. So why would they choose that? Did you choose to be an idiot? Hmm... well... maybe you did.

July 19, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lacey

Glad the little gay creeper o's leaving! To gay and flamboyant.

July 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. shun

well moneymakers are rude so its how it is.

July 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JS

I disagree with those who don't want this guy to leave. I'm not a regular viewer of the show- but I applaud Fox for allowing the show to reinvent itself with new characters and following the High School's Glee Club- throughout time- as opposed to sticking with the stories of its first members. These actors/actresses can make future guest appearances as time goes on to keep viewers up to date with their characters' successes/failures– like Lea's (whatever her character's name is) Broadway career, etc. FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS followed this formula throughout its 5 years and it worked to perfection. FNL was one of the best shows in tv history (even though hardly anyone watched it) and, thankfully, it FINALLY got a Best Drama Series Emmy nod– now that it's over. With the ratings and the money Glee makes- I'm sure Fox will put everything into it to keep the writing fresh– and I bet the show lasts 10 years plus with this formula. FOX knows what it's doing – unlike NBC– which completely mis-marketed FNL.

July 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kim

Lets hope Chris will be kind enough, before he leaves Glee, to give wheelchair boy a BJ.

July 18, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Butthole Surfer

I bet he likes his rump packed really tight.

July 18, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. olive

I wonder if they will bring in some new fuddgepackers and knob shiners to replace him. I hope so. Glee is so gooberTastic!!

July 18, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. JPX

That kid needs some serious eyebrow work.

July 18, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. JPX

Glee is still on?

July 18, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Blah

Good! Maybe more people will watch the show now, his character was getting annoying and whiny.

July 18, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lindsay

They established in season one that Kurt was 16, along with Rachel and Finn, so we had to know they were going to be departing soon. I just wish they hadn't put an age on Kurt because with that baby face, he could STILL be in high school. Finn and Rachel, as well as Quinn and Puck, look their ages. All four of them could go as far as I'm concerned, but I will miss Chris Colfer. Makes me wonder how much longer any of them will have, by Year 4, it could be an entirely all new cast.

July 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • skippy

He is so cute. I want to spew my cream corn all over his pretty face.

July 18, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. YummyDrFood

Get another token gay dude for the show and call it a day. It's not the end of the world. Chris Colfer agrees, as evidenced by his slight surprise followed by his good-natured resignation.

July 17, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. M

He seriously needs to learn to smile with eyes. It'd look a lot less fake that way.

July 16, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ragdoll101

u people are glee gay

July 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ruchbuch12

Glee is going to fall apart, it use to be good. They added all these weird characters that don't fit in and ughh fail

July 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Erm

Um, I know it's a bit silly considering that Chris's character is leaving but what about Darren Criss? Will Chris leaving automatically mean him leaving?

July 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Ginger

I can understand them graduating the old actors- Cory is almost 30 and looks like a teacher. Lea looks as old or older than her 24 years. But Chris still looks young enough for the part. Plus he's a great actor and his character is so much fun.

July 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. WhoMeYeaYou

GLEE SUCKS THE BIG ONE...... Only people trying to seem hip, people in seclusion and hard core nerds watch this stupid show... Get a life..........

July 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • LytaBunny

Idiot. Lots of people who watch Glee enjoy the singing. And the acting. And the storylines, including the way they talk about social issues nobody else seems to discuss. Yes, it's a situation comedy and much of it is deliberately over the top. It's called "humor". You don't have to like it, but it's absurd to diss those who do - afraid of something???

July 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mmurphy550

Ryan Murphy is cutting himself off at the knees.

July 16, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • tommy

This show makes me want to get on my knees in the mens room and give anonymouse BJ's.

July 18, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. Claire

This move is going to kill the show. Has there ever been an awards magnet like Colfer dropped from a hit show for any reason besides bad behavior? I think Murphy has made a huge error that will hurt him far more than it will hurt Chris.

July 16, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • doc

If you've watched a truly great show with high school characters–Friday Night Lights–you would know the answer to your question. The most popular and best acted characters in that great show actually GRADUATED, and were gone. The show went on, with new characters equally as well drawn and acted. That's why GLEE needs to do this, and it's about time, too.

July 17, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Me

They might as well hire Henry Winkler for Season 4 playing AARP Fonzarelli as the new Shop teacher coz this show just jumped the shark bigtime. No Rachel, Finn or Kurt??? So sad.

July 16, 2011 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  22. su

Me too love chris

July 16, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  23. silly billy

he was too gay......too annoyingly gay.....can't people be gay without being in your face about it.

July 16, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jackie

This will be the beginning of the end if they let Kurt go. The past season was not the same with him being at the other school. They should do some kind of dual thing, with Kurt and the others going to NY to try to make it on Broadway and the others still in school

July 16, 2011 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. boredsocommenting

I stopped watching the show. I thought it was cute and fun but Lea Michelle drives me nuts. I didn't like the character and I think she comes off as extremely snotty in real life. I'm not saying she is but from interviews and such

July 16, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. Autumn

I think the show will not be as good without them they make the show...It won't be the same without Fincel and Kurt I'm sorry but I don't know if I will even watch season 4 without them...

July 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Pooky

I LOVE COLFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Itsamemario

I find it hilariously strange that a liberal show like glee is on a network like fox. I bet that all that Glee money goes to figthing exactly the kind of people and policys this show trys to teach tolerance about..

July 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Teresa

Big mistake, Big mistake, HUGE!

July 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mark

He was so annoyed. I'm glad he'll be done. His character was a little cry baby and it wasn't fun to watch.

July 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • destiny

thats so rude Mark. its his character. Hes gay,ad he gets made of 24/7.you have no right to be like this. He was a great singer and now hes leaving. they cant just take him out with out a say from the people who like and watch glee.
      thats honestly my opinion.im 12 and i understand the meaning of show Business

July 17, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • brian

LOL you my friend are the ANNOYING one . You dont even have the education to know the correct word to use at the correct time in a sentence get off the message boards out of your mommies basement and get yourself an education THEN maybe we will give some validity to your comments .

July 18, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Brian, I wouldn't slam another person's writing. You don't know when to use a period.

July 18, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

LOL John, you took the words right out of my mouth!

July 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jeff

Oh CHUCKLEHEAD, you are just so darn funny. Idiot.

July 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Evel Knievel

If he's leaving soon they better get ready to bully him a lot next season.

July 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joshua

I am just saying this show will be nothing without these characters and as far as the character of Kurt goes he is the only reason I watch the show. He has inspired so many young people to be who they are totally and hold nothing back!! I am so thankful to you for doing this chris!!! You HAVE defiantly made an impact on the lives of many. So thank you once again! I will follow you through your amazing career an you will be great in whatever you do!!!

July 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ana

I wonder how many people will still watch season 4 considering this. To some point this decision ruined season 3 for me also.

July 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Carrie

I think all three of them are terrific in their roles and I will miss them. I believe Chris is going to have a very bright future and would love to see him on Broadway some day.

July 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Donnie

Chris will go on to an amazing career, his character has really shined a beacon on negative gay issues that ignorance and society has put in place. Many stereotypes have been crushed, and many people are now educated. There is still a long path ahead, but the ground work has been laid. Good luck to you buddy, and we look forward to seeing you on the big screen...

July 15, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  37. hypatia

Well, so much for that show. *shrug*

July 15, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  38. Silly Story!

A tweet or a bark or a growl or a purr... what does it reallllly matter? The result is the same.

July 15, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  39. Yadi

Glee without Chris won't be the same. My bet is the show will jump the shark at season 4. Ryan Murphy should finish the series by that season.

July 15, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  40. Argle Bargle

Now, now, Chuckles...don't go projecting yourself and your odd little peccadilloes into everyone else's life.

July 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Be Quiet

except for when he's with you. then, he bites the little one.

July 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Terry

If you hate gay people so much then why do you watch the show? I think you're just another closet case that lives vicariously thru gay characters on TV. Come out, come out, wherever you are!

July 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |