Lea Michele reacts to upcoming 'Glee' departure
July 14th, 2011

Lea Michele reacts to upcoming 'Glee' departure

"Glee" co-creator Ryan Murphy has been warning Gleeks for a while that some of their favorite characters were going to graduate from McKinley High soon, but he’s now naming names.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Murphy says that “Glee” stars Chris Colfer (who plays Kurt Hummel), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Cory Monteith (Finn) won’t be back for season 4.

“You can keep them on the show for six years and people will criticize you for not being realistic,” Murphy said, “or you can be really true to life and say when they started the show they were very clearly sophomores and they should graduate at the end of their senior year."

Graduation certainly won't be the end for the actors. Chris Colfer has his movie "Struck by Lightning" - which he wrote and is starring in - underway, as well as a two-book deal with Little, Brown books.

Cory Monteith, currently playing in theaters in "Monte Carlo," has another film project coming out in January, "Sisters and Brothers," and Michele's plate is also stocked with projects. The 24-year-old landed a role in this year's "New Year's Eve," and will also voice Dorothy in the animated "Dorothy of Oz."

Michele tried to encourage "Glee" fans who may be heartbroken by the news, tweeting, "We always knew we'd graduate in real time. It's all part of the plan and it's all good! It's going to make Season 3 amazing!!!" She added, " To Gleeks everywhere, you're in my heart now and forever. Love u all!!! This is just the beginning!!"

Murphy told THR that Michele and Colfer were included in conversations about their characters graduating, adding that while Monteith hadn't been told of the plans yet, the news shouldn't come as a surprise.

“We’ve never done anything by the book,” Murphy said. “We made that decision and I involved Chris and Lea and they thought that was a good idea. They both trust the writing and trust me and felt that it would be great to have an open and closed experience for them to go out while they were on top.”

To know more about who's staying and who's going, you'll have to wait until the season premiere on September 20.

Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. mejazzbo

No way to keep that much talent confined to a goofy little show.

July 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kay Wave

Woo hoo! I cannot stand Rachel or her stupid storylines! Chris Colfer was terrific and will have a great career. This show is fun but nothing lasts forever. It is certainly nothing to get obsessed about!

July 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tina

All the characters on Glee are integral parts of the story. Although, one of those leaving I find extremely annoying to listen to and to look at. I won't mention HER name. Love Chris Colfer. But I don't understand. All the other characters are not seniors? 'Cause they were all part of the junior prom. Mark Salling DOES look like a super-senior. But I love the cast, and any and all will be sorely missed.

July 15, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Carmen

I would think that they all would be graduating this year. I guessed I just assumed they were all Seniors this year.

July 15, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. gleehater

Good, maybe now this useless POS show will be cancelled soon. What a waste of time it is, I'd ratyher clip my toenails than watch that trash.

July 15, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. LL

Save your tears folks. My guess is that there's going to be a spinoff.

July 14, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Yep. Sensed some foreshadowing during the chat between Kurt and Rachel in New York when he said Finn could join them in New York and would be useful for moving heavy things. That would be an awesome spinoff. Three talented people moving out on their own. Ryan Murphy, just remember to have Kurt's dad do some guest spots. Dude is really good and an excellent role model to us old folks ;-)

July 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shawn

While I will miss my favorite characters, Kurt and Rachel, I am sure Ryan will do a good job in season 4. Go Ryan. You are an awesome entertainer.

July 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RR

Ryan Murphy is doing the right thing; Nip/Tuck went on 2 seasons longer than it should have (it should have ended with the season where they moved to LA, had everyone back in the storyline, and all the loose ends were tied up) and wound up ending with a jumped shark, and a dismal whimper instead of a bang. Moving people on is a realistic way of handling the story, as while it would be better to graduate them all and end it solidly with a Nationals win, Glee's ratings preclude that approach. It's not realistic show choir-wise anyway- no parent involvement or attendance at shows, no scenes of the kids building their own props or making their own costumes- but it's still a fun, enjoyable series and showcases a lot of top-notch talent.

July 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ice

With these 3 gone, I hope better storyline will appear. I'm glad that the most annoying character wont be coming back for season 4. I'm back on board the GLEE train

July 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Evel Knievel

Now we'll get to see bullying at the community college these kids inevitably end up at.

July 14, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alex Winter

OMG this is bigger than when what's her name left Beverley Hills 90210!

July 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Evel Knievel

When is that wheelchair kid, what's his name, Timmy? Going to graduate?

I hope they graduate some of the pole smokers too.

July 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Princess

Timmy? Really? Have you ever seen this show before

July 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

I'm pretty sure Evel is making a crack about disabled/handicapped people calling him Timmy which is a character from South Park. Timmy is in a wheelchair and says nothing but TIMMY! All the time in a sort of slurred/messed up voice.

July 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

Timmy, Timmy, Tiiimmmmaaaayyy!

July 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kukla Fran and Ollie

I keep waiting for Glee to visit the grand canyon where they can toss wheelchair boy over the cliff.

July 18, 2011 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. fan

I think Puck should go also. Mark Salling is looking way to old to be in high school. And they drop Sam?????????????

July 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Booo

But Mark is sooo gorgeous. I love the music, but he's what keeps me tuning in. Great eye candy!

July 15, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gretchen

I am DEVASTATED!!!! I have been obsessed wth the show since the pilot! I know the Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch staying is a good thing but they are taking away my fave storyline! Finchel! The cast they have is magical and I dont think they will be able to recapture that with out Chris, Lea, and Cory! and if 'Kurt' is going does that mean we are losing Blaine too!? Darren Criss has been an excellent addition would hate to see him go as well

July 14, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. shakeNbake

this show makes me want to wear pastel colors & go clothes shopping in my Mazda Miata

July 14, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Simon and Buttfunkel

What happened to that fat ugly girl that kept eating everyones butt lumpkins?

July 18, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. DA

If Kurt, Rachel, and Finn are graduating, then they all should. They all started at the same time. If the very young looking Kurt and Artie are seniors, then I guess they all are. I've heard they might flunk Brittany to keep her on the show, but I don't think that would be fair to all the fans that are losing their favorite characters. I like Heather Morris and the character of Brittany, but if everyone else has to go, she should have to as well. I don't know if the show will survive past season three.

July 14, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. Puddin

Bad move, Ryan. Why would you take away 3 of biggest stars of the show, knowing everyone loves them? So if they graduate, keep them around on the show doing something else. This is a bad move. I am a HUGE fan of all 3 of those characters and the show. Im thinking when these 3 go, they will take lots of fans with them. These new kids of the Glee Project are horrid. Awful, awful and I sure as hell wont be watching those morons. Way to kill something great, Ryan, you bonehead.

July 14, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. ralph

What a waste of oxygen you are.

July 14, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  19. ralph

Applause! While I will miss those characters – Kurt especially – I am glad they are doing this in real time. There are a TON of great young singers out there. What a way to showcase them and keep the show fresh. I hope they will also feature real and 17 year olds. Great show!

July 14, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |