An Emmy-worthy 'SYTYCD' (and that's no jive)
July 14th, 2011

An Emmy-worthy 'SYTYCD' (and that's no jive)

Bless you, Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

The Emmy nominee and guest judge on Wednesday night's "So You Think You Can Dance" said what we were all thinking - on more than one occasion, actually. But I want to draw particular attention to his comment towards the end of the episode that Cat Deeley deserves to be nominated for an Emmy. And lo and behold, it happened (alongside well-deserved nominations for several of the choreographers)!

There were certainly some Emmy-worthy dances, particularly from Jess and Clarice, who really emerged as a fantastic couple this week (just in time for them to be broken up). Their jive was the best I've seen in ages on the show, and their hip-hop was yet another example of great storytelling through dance.

A bad example of this, unfortunately, came from Caitlynn and Mitchell, who just weren't in unison in a routine meant to shed light on the issue of abductees in the Congo. Thankfully, the pair bounced back with a sexy contemporary routine from (Emmy nominee!) Travis Wall.

It won't surprise anyone when I say that Melanie and Marko were splendiferous doing a tango (welcome back, Louis van Amstel!) and a contemporary routine from Dee Caspary. These two can do no wrong. It's too bad we may not see them dance together again until the season finale (but somehow, I think they will make it to the end).

The other couples were as hit-and-miss as Caitlynn and Mitchell. Jordan and Tadd nailed Travis' other routine, which reminded me of Jaimie and Hok's hummingbird routine in season 3. On the other hand, their Broadway routine by Spencer Liff didn't really work.

Sasha and Alexander had a refreshing new take on the paso doble. Once again, Sasha outdanced her partner, but this is the first week he has really broken out for me. Not to mention yet another kiss (this one, not planned)! Their Tyce Diorio routine, however, was a bit of a mess.

One other couple was not hit-and-miss, though. It pains me to say that this may be the week for Ryan and Ricky to go. Their Broadway routine was well danced, but it was lacking in something, which the judges seemed to notice. Their cha-cha was also a bit sloppy at times.

If anyone but those two go home, I will truly be surprised (though I can see Alexander possibly leaving this week).

Even so, I am overjoyed to see Jess and Clarice do so well, and I am pulling for them as dark horses now.

What are your predictions for Thursday night? Share your view in the comments or iReport it.

1. Dance fan

Have been a fan from the first show. Love Jess his style reminds me of Gene Kelly. Would love to see him go all the way.

July 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. one cent

Melanie should be the winner this year. There isn't anything she can't do. Technically trained and the most awesome performer on the show.

July 20, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. bluesman368

Do people actually watch this show? I gave it an honest try and just dont get it......

July 15, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. red foreman

cancel this cr@p and put on more bikini contests and beer commercials!

July 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sarah S

it's deffinately Ryan's time to go. if she stays tonight i'll be disappointed. the guy i'd like to see go would be Alexander. i feel like Sasha`s been pulling him through each week. i guess i'll be finding out.

July 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @tracie

Good lord, don't you know any blonde jokes or something? Your anal fasination has gotten really old. (Sigh)

July 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tom

Jess and Clarice had the best dance of the night... As much as I'm not a fan of his personality and mannerisms, he really is superb and makes everything look so easy and graceful. In the commentary, the choreographer and Clarice get their positive comments, but nobody ever gives Jess his props. I think he is the best male dancer this year, though I'm sure if I hung out with him for 5 minutes, I'd probably throttle him. Clarice, while technically good, has zero personality, and will probably be the next female to go, (though hopefully after Ryan). I think that Ricky has gotten the short end of the stick, as he has outdanced Ryan at nearly every turn. I think the next to go should be Ryan and Alexander, who was just a mess.

After Alexander and Sasha's second dance, Nigel exclaims "that was the best we've seen you dance, wow, blah blah blah"... well I don't know what you were watching Mr. Lythgoe, but I just watched Alexander 1. Accidently start off by hitting Sasha in the face, 2. Blatantly grab her breast right afterwards, and 3. drop Sasha on the ground to end the dance.

I was underwhelmed with Melanie and Marko's tango, though their contemporary was really great, except the bit at the end where it didn't really seem to make sense. One moth saving another from getting burned? Who knows, who cares.

The other 4: Jordan, Tadd, Caitlynn, Mitchell I'd put in the middle of the pack, but of the 4, I think Mitchell has the most potential to be a breakout star.

Caitlynn's lingerie: HOT HOT HOT wow.

Cat, congrats on your nomination, you deserve it. Your hair and makeup last night was the best I've ever seen it, with the smoky eyes and wavy locks, and as ever, you worked that dress like a Malaysian kid in a shoe factory.

Nigel, your makeup last night on the other hand, was too much... you looked kinda like my grandpa at his wake.

July 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

"3. drop Sasha on the ground to end the dance."

Alexander didn't drop Sasha on the ground. She fell on her own accord actually almost taking Alexander with her. This is why Nick made the joke to Sasha that if he had just danced like that he would have needed to sit down too. Sonya also commented on Sasha falling. All I can say about Alexander is that he is a victim of perception. The judges constant un-constructive criticism starts to help give a false perception of Alexander's contribution in the dances. In reality, Alex was almost equal to her in the "Coming Home" routine, was equal in the piano routine, out-danced Sasha in the Paso, and "That's Life" routines–but the judges have to stick to their scripts and over praise Sasha while handing Alex back-handed compliments. I can only imagine how this was messing with his head, as well as the strain it may have caused between he and Sasha. They were the only couple critiqued as if they were competing against each other instead of dance partners which raises a red flag in what this show was trying to accomplish with the two of them.

September 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. carolyn

Anyone who can pull off a fab jive routine should be in the finals. Very, very difficult dance to do well! Kudos to Clarice and Jess. OMG!

July 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Carolyn

Bye Ryan.

July 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Consuela

I really enjoyed Pablo & Nicoles rendition of the running man. Very fluid movement made it seem like they were running, but in actuality, they were in the same place. It was nice to see the Hammer pants & Fila outfits along with Pablos 8-Ball jacket & Kadeem Hardison flip up sun glasses.

July 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TP

Totally agree with you; Jess and Clarice are the only coupled I picked up the phone for last night. They have been in the bottom 3 before and should not end up there again. Ryan and Ricky need to go.

July 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |