Everything isn’t as it seems on 'Pretty Little Liars'
July 13th, 2011

Everything isn’t as it seems on 'Pretty Little Liars'

I wish I could say, “I didn’t see that coming.” But I did.

Here’s a little piece of information I picked up watching “Law & Order”: If there’s an overwhelming amount of evidence tying one person to a murder, they’re probably innocent.

On that note: Sorry for doubting you, Ian.

Though Spencer’s parents aren’t keen on giving Ian a funeral, Spencer convinces them otherwise, saying it’s the right thing to do for Melissa.

Meanwhile, Caleb stops by Hanna’s house to see how she’s holding up. The exchange was fairly normal, until Caleb said he’s seen a dead body before. A follow up question might have been nice, Hanna.

Aria stops by Fitz’s classroom to chat, but their conversation is cut short when his ex fiance interrupts. Fitz introduces Aria as his former student after quickly removing his hands from her thighs. Please break up already.

Emily picks up a package at Rosewood’s FedEx equivalent, only to spot a familiar face. Logan, the guy who brought money in exchange for those incriminating tapes awhile back. The girls originally thought Ian hired the copy boy, but it turns out he was actually sought out by a woman. Looks like Jenna wanted the tapes more than Ian did.

Later on, Jason catches Aria’s younger brother Mike trying to break into his house. Rather than calling the cops, Jason takes Mike home to Aria. He said he didn’t get the police involved because he’s a nice guy, but we all know it’s because of whoever he’s hiding in his home. (Speaking of: I guess we can check Ian off the list of potential squatters.)

A text from A prompts Emily to dig through her old messages. After some copying and pasting, Emily discovers that Ian’s note is actually made up of A’s threats to the girls. Though, I’m not sure how Em’s “Wheel of Fortune” addiction helped her solve this puzzle.

At Ian’s funeral, Spencer makes it clear that she’s no longer going to obsess over A. That is, until A interferes with her improving relationship with Melissa. Just as the sisters appear to be getting along, Ian’s phone, which A placed in Spencer’s bag last episode, rings. Melissa assumes Spencer sent her the messages leading up to Ian's death, as Ian had been dead for a week by the time they found his body.

Aria learns some interesting facts when she approaches Jason in the cemetery.

“You don't know how good it feels to know it wasn't me,” he says. “I don't remember a thing from the night Ali died. I blacked out and woke up the next morning with a wicked hangover and this,” he adds, taking a piece of paper out of his pocket.

“I know what you did,” is written on the note.

Really, Jason? You couldn't have just made out with her boyfriends like Spencer did to Melissa? Worst. Sibling. Ever.

In the only uplifting event of the episode, Hanna and Caleb make out after she confronts his evil foster mom at school. Representing the firm of Dolce Gabbana & Lebowitz, of course, Hanna bullies Janet into giving Caleb the child support she’s been collecting. I was definitely expecting her act of bravery to end badly for poor Caleb, but at least things are looking up for someone. Did I mention I approve of Caleb?

The episode ends when the girls come face-to-face with Alison’s headstone at the cemetery. The video of her and Ian, projected behind the site, plays for the girls. In the original copy they received from A, Alison’s hand appears to lie limp in the dirt at the end of the clip, however, everything isn’t as it seems.

In the extended version, Ali gets up off the ground and watches Ian walk away.

What’s up with Jenna and Garrett? Did Jason really kill his sister? What did A have against Ian?

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Share your questions, comments and concerns below, or tweet me your thoughts.

1. Lorin

I would rather suck dirt with a straw than go any where remotley close to you.

July 18, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lorin

elm- your an as$.

July 18, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lorin

Frobaggins- Maybe it was something to throw you off.. Making you believe Aria is A. I don't think that she is, I don't think it is any of the girls but it would be a twist if it was.

July 18, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lorin

Frobaggins- I apoligize. However, the author said the TV show is not following the books.

July 18, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. frobaggins

and by the way, even though aria's name obviously starts with an A, making this not so fishy, but she wore a necklas during a scene last episode (or atleast i only noticed it in one scene), that was just the letter A. she's essentially labeling herself as A in this case. How does she not realize then when she puts it on? why would she want to have something on her body that refers exactly to the person stalking her and her friends? just an observation

July 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. frobaggins

woah woah woah... can the people who have read the books please not post anything that might be considered a spoiler? pleeeease?

July 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lorin

Dort- It's really confussing but Courtney and Alison switch places in the book, sort of. The whole time the girls believe they are friends with Ali but it is really Courtney. Courtney was supposed to go to a some what like insanity home but didn't want to, so made her parents believe Ali was her and Ali got stuck going. The family never talked about Courtney because of where she was. In the end Ali seeks revenge on Courtney for ruining her life. Jason only told a select few people in the books, not many, most never knew.One of the people he told in the books though was Melissa.

July 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Victoria

Lorin and Erica- you are both right. It was Mona first, then Alison.

July 14, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dort

Lorin & Erica, I haven't read the books. Is Jason aware that Allison has a twin? If so why hasn't he ever mentioned her. And if the twin was the one killed where has Allison been all this time? Why aren't the residents of Rosewood aware of this twin? Was she raised by the grandma, wolves, aliens....Did the parents hide her in the attic?

July 14, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lorin

I don't think they are going by the books at all... I mean some parts yes, but for the most part no.

July 14, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Erica

Come on people, if you like the show you should know by now that A is Alison...these were books before it was a show...

July 14, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • erica's cane

In the books Mona is A. The show is mixing it up for the viewers. It's already proven that it's not as black and white as one might hope.

July 14, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Erica

No- in the book Ali is A.... the girl that died is Ali's twin, Courtney.

July 14, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Ola

Actually in the book there are 3 A's
      1 was Mona
      2nd was Ian and
      3rd was Ali's twin, Courtney.
      Courtney and her parents put Ali in a mental home because Courtney wanted to get rid of Ali, Karma caught up with and she got killed but Ali came back i guess and contiues haunting the girls

July 15, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dort

Jenna and Garrett!! They're A. There's no way A is one person. Aria needs to dump that wimpy azz Fritz. He NEEDS to grow up as she seems the more mature in that stupid relationship. Yeah for Hanna and Caleb. They belong together. Poor Emily. She can't stop shooting her mouth off to Garrett. I believe he was the boy next door taping the girls when they were younger. Remember he was Em's neighbor as a kid. He's skeevy and he's involved with Jenna. Spencer phone call was inevitable. A told her to confess because the "ring" would appear when she least expected it. Hence the ringing cell phone planted in her purse. I dump my purse out every night to get rid of gum wrappers, tissue, blah. How is it she didn't know that dang phone was in her bag. I'm so addicted, Tuesday's can't get here quick enough. WHEW!!!

July 14, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lorin

Tuesday's episode was insane. I knew Ian was pinned to look like Ali's killer more than anything else but I certinaly wasn't expecting the cemetary scene. That was creeeeppp-y! I was so happy to see Melissa and Spencer getting along but I knew it wouldn't last for long. Still, I wonder what it was that Melissa was about to say to Spencer? And, I wonder how Melissa would have reacted pre A when Spencer told her about the ring? I think Jason is the killer in Ali's murder and I'm not sure who he is hidding upstairs? I also think Mike, Aria's brother is a potential suspect because he is acting odder and odder as the episodes go on. Why would he want to steal stuff from all the people linked with Ali? I knew all along that Jenna was the woman who paid off Logan. Her and the cop are definitely in on some fishy stuff too. This show is amazing! It gets better and better, can't wait for next weeks!

July 14, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. Barb

Okay I like the show but Torey DeVito needs to go. Annabeth Gish looks younger than Torey. On top of that she just ruins the show!

July 14, 2011 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. dan

I keep meaning to watch this show but still havent seen it. It really does sound ok.

July 14, 2011 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. trademarkapplication2011

Here is a similar story

DoSomething.org and Staples are teaming up with the stars from ABC Family’s hit show “Pretty Little Liar” for the Staples for Students Do Something for Kids in Need national school supply drive.

The stars of “Pretty Little Liars” — Lucy Hale, Troian Bellisario, Ashley Benson, and Shay Mitchell — encourage teens to make a difference this summer by collecting school supplies and dropping them off at their nearest Staples store now through Sept. 17.

In addition, Staples customers will be able to get involved by donating $1 or more at any Staples store, with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting Holland students in need.

July 14, 2011 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jen

I LOVE this show!! I think Mona is A. I don't know why. Maybe because she's one of the ones you wouldn't suspect. And I bet she hates that she wasn't in their little circle.

July 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  18. carl

I didn't realize I was doing it at first, but I am fapping to this picture.

July 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Pedro

I think that girl with the hair did it. She seems like the type that would read books.

July 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |