'Deathly Hallows: Part 2' rakes in $25 mil before opening
July 13th, 2011

'Deathly Hallows: Part 2' rakes in $25 mil before opening

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” has already earned $25 million domestically - and the film hasn't even opened yet.

At the rate it’s going, the final installment of the franchise could break records.

According to Warner Bros., the majority of pre-ordered tickets are for midnight screenings, which means the film could take the title of most successful midnight opening away from “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.”

“Eclipse” racked up $30 million in ticket sales when it debuted at midnight in June 2010.

And there’s a good chance “Deathly Hallows: Part 2” will garner an additional $5 to $6 million in advanced ticket sales before the film hits theaters on Friday, according to Variety, the first outlet to report the news.

Have you already purchased your “Potter” tickets?

Filed under: Harry Potter • Summer movies

1. Rafael

I attended the show in Chicago (Allstate Arena) on Wednesday this week. The drecnas did an admirable job and where very enjoyable to watch perform. However, I was gravely disappointed with the utterly horrible production. The sound was so bad I almost left early. To say it was unlistenable would be a kindness. All of the material was per-recorded and sound quality should have been flawless, but it was dreadful. As deplorable as the sound was, lighting was a close second. Lighting design did not take the audience into account. The backlighting over powered everything else leaving the drecnas in silhouette. Given the high quality of the TV show I was surprised that the owners/producers of the So You Think You Can Dance would allow themselves to be associated with such an amateurish effort. If anyone evolved with the show where to experience the night I attended they would fire the FOH engineer and lighting designer on the spot. I can only hope that these issues are resolved for the balance of the tour.

August 12, 2012 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jim

Don't let the comments scare you off.... they saved the best for last... http://www.watch-movies–online.org/11821/harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-2/

August 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

Waiting for the DVD. I was gonna go see it, but then the people in the comments here have scared me off.

July 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. UNCLE Rick

I agree with Hue you guys must have had a horrible time in high school dressing up like elves n witches lol!!

July 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nellyv85

I bought my tickets 2 months ago! I'm so excited :-)

July 14, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tierra

damn. not yet. probably wont but still love harry potter

July 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Melanie

Bought tickets today for Sunday. so excited!

July 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. asgardshill

I was going to dress up as the Antichrist when I went to this movie, but it's too darned hot for an Armani suit and a televangelist's wig.

July 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZsnK2nuW0&w=640&h=390]

July 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. peacsktr

I Also got my ticket for the midnight screening a month ago. so excited now from reading i know to go early.

P.S HUE YOU ARE THE ONLY LOSER HERE

July 14, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Hue Jorgan

What a bunch of F'ing LOSERS!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Hue, why am I a loser. Harry Potter has been part of many people lives for the past 14 years. Many grew up reading and or watching the movies. When you were yonger didn't you have something that you loved and even now that you are older still lives in your heart. Harry Potter is like that for many many people. I am not a loser because I love HP.

July 14, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Jennifer – don't mind Hue. A lot of people have a mentality that if the mainstream masses love something, it must be lame. He probably has never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies. Either that or he watches the movies in secret with headphones because he's too embarrassed to admit that he likes something popular. I'm not one to say the mainstream masses always have the best taste – but there is just no fighting the fact that the Harry Potter series is impossible to hate once you've read one book or seen one movie.

July 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Megan

OMG I'M SOOOO EXCITED!! Bought 4 tickets last month!!!! And I'm going to be dressing up as the wonderful and talented LUNA LOVEGOOD!! RAVENCLAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Melissa

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!! I love Harry Potter!

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. whiskers

I purchased tickets for 1am early sat mornin to see it in imax/3d.
    I can't wait... I wish I could see it at midnight tonight but I gotta work fri morning.

July 14, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. chana

who cares about this dam movie already!!!! ugh

July 14, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Almost everyone but you. The Harry Potter movies are enjoyable for all ages and people of all different tastes. Only super "non-conformist conformists" who have refused to see the movies or read the books still hate on Harry Potter. Is JK Rowling the most brilliant writer of our time? No – but the woman tells a good story and most importantly, its the kind of story you don't mind reading or watching again and again.

July 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

Chana, you seem to care enough to read an article and comment on it.

July 15, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. meowjr

Yeay for Twilight!

July 14, 2011 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. Donnelle Rockinger

I bought my tickets a month ago for the midnight showing and also have tickets to see it again on Friday and Saturday night! We are huge Harry Potter fans at my house. We will get all dressed up in our Potter gear and go sit at Carmike at Midnight and watch the most EPIC movie ever! I know it is sad and depressing that it is over but just remember....................."Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home"- J.K. Rowling

July 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Donnelle Rockinger

I have had my tickets for a month! We are huge Potter fans in my home! My son and i wouldnt miss it for the world! We will be all decked out in our Harry Potter clothing and of course we wont forget to bring our wands! This is an Epic event and i cant think of another place i would be besides sitting at Carmike at Midnight to watch the movie! We also have tickets for Friday and Saturday night shows! Just remember ..............."Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home"- J.K. Rowling

July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. kiddingme?

I saw a prescreening in phoenix yesterday. Waited 6 hours for good seats. I was so disappointed. It was 2 hrs. How can they make it the shortest movie yet? I am a huge fan of the movie and of 7 pt 1 esp. But this one was heartbreaking. They change the ending scenes a bit and it sucks out it's magic. I was with some that read the books and some that didn't and we agreed it just wasn't up to par. Hope others find enjoyment in it.

July 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • GinnyFan

I have read the books but can you not spoil it for the rest of us who are super excited?

July 14, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

You must have seen a different movie. Our IMAX theater full of people seemed to love it. Remember, its just a movie, the book is always better. Also, this is the second part of a single book and not the long slow part but the ending battle sequences. Action always takes less time on screen and this is the action section.

July 15, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Cassie

The show in Orlando was amazing. So sad I didn't get to see Marko perrofm (injured). All of the dances were beautiful. Even though my seats were the furthest from the stage, I got amazing pictures. I did bring binoculars so I could see the dancers up close.One thing the tour needs to improve on is the lighting. At times the lighting was too bright too see the dancers and sometimes the light was directly shining into guests' eyes if you sat in the upper seats.Overall, wonderful experience for my 1st show!Everyone was dancing their hearts out. Melanie was beautiful to watch live!

August 14, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. Superhiro

Lol, only 6 more movies to watch and I'm all caught up for this movie :P

July 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Peace

Hey Evel! It will be cool, the old people always buy the treats for kids that parents won't! Have a good one!

July 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. itsme

bought 3 midnight show tickets weeks ago and i can not wait till tomorrow night!!

July 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jessica

Purchased two sets: five for Friday night with the friends and two for Saturday with the family. How often do you get to participate in a phenomenon like Harry Potter (i.e. Midnight book openings & midnight movie openings)? Definitely have to live it up! Glad I was able to contribute to the $25M. =)

July 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Christine

I purchased tickets ahead of time for the first showing in our area. My entire family is obsessed with Harry Potter and are using it as family time. We range in age from 4 to 60 and we will be going together.

July 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ana L

I was thinking about dressing up as a hammer or a wrench

July 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Taylor

I bought my tickets months ago. I have never dressed up for any movie before, but this being the last one I think I may go all out. Very excited, I hope it stays true to the brilliance of the books.

July 13, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • munchie

Agree 100%! My group bought our tickets last month the very first day the theatre put them on sale. We have never dressed up but have all drawn names for the character we will be playing. I am lucky enough to be Luna!

Don't forget your box of tissues for all those sad parts!

July 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I wasn't taking any chances..I bought my tickets a month ago as soon as the first theater in my area posted their showtimes on Fandango.

July 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |