'Brady Bunch,' 'Gilligan's Island' creator leaves posthumous letter
July 13th, 2011

'Brady Bunch,' 'Gilligan's Island' creator leaves posthumous letter

Sherwood Schwartz was a writer to the end.

Following the death of the "Gilligan's Island" and "Brady Bunch" creator on Tuesday, The Hollywood Reporter has published a letter that Schwartz requested be released upon his death.

"A Conversation at the Gates," imagines Schwartz "standing in front of the Pearly gates" where he reflects on his life, family and career while talking to "the Voice."

"Your not the first writer to knock at my gate," says "the Voice" in the letter. "But at least you were successful. Many writers are not."

'That's true," Schwartz responds in the letter. "I've been well-rewarded with plenty of money for me, for my family and for my many charities."

The letter concludes with Schwartz reflecting that "Heaven is where I have been since the day I was born." Click here to read the letter in its entirety.

1. Sandra LeVin

Heard an interview with Mr. Schwartz (from years back) and he sounded like a good person. His main "thing" was to bring people together, which if you take a deeper look at Gilligan or the Brady Bunch, was the underlying theme for both shows. Goodbye to an intelligent and kindly man.

July 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gator

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

July 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pscooper

Everyone of his shows kept my siblings and I glued to the TV. Even the reruns kept us glued even if we did watch them over and over. Gilligan's Island was my childhood favorite. The Brady Bunch kept me entertained during my babysitting days. Thanks for bringing me back for a moment when life was simple.

July 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. erich2112x

I'm pretty sure I'd have to kill Gulligan, and the Howels too, and I'd take all their money. I'd keep the skipper around for heavy lifting and the professor too so he could build stuff. Then I'd get into a Mormon relationship with Marianne and Ginger.

July 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larz

He may have been the only person who could have truthfully answered the age old question......Ginger or Marianne?

July 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 2left

Nice he had load of cash for his family and charities. Too bad he didn't help out the Gilligan's Island cast, who all signed deals befoe syndication and merchandising were written into contracts.

July 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • YouKnowWhy

They keep all the money within the dome, the Jew Dome. The "Superball Arena" for anti-goyims. Get used to it. This is how they operate.

July 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TXJewBoy

Hey, I'm Jewish! Where's my slice of that pie. BIGOT!

July 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GrammarGirl

YOUR this is a journalist and they don't know the difference between your and you're! Here's a hint you're=you are.

July 14, 2011 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Peace

Ahhh, Gilligan's Island, what a blast from the past! Too bad they don't re-run that show for today's kids. @ johnnyb, don't forget these two-Marcia, Marcia, Marcia & Oh my nose! HaHa!!! RIP Mr.Schwartz, thanks for some of my childhood memories!

July 14, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. johnnyb

Pork chops and applesauce

July 14, 2011 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. johnnyb

Mom always said. Don't play ball in the house

July 14, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. John

I sure hope that your/you're mistake was not included in his original text.

July 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Izzardfan

The original has the correct "you're", not "your" as the author of the above article wrote.

July 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. carl

Wasn't really in the mood, but I fapped to this picture anyway and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

July 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Thomas

He was definitely a visionary in his time and I watched alot of his shows when i was a kid. Being a budgie owner, one of my favorite episodes of the Brady Bunch was the episode of where Bobby, had a pet budgie and it got stuck up in the tree. This episode to this day is one of my all time favorites. That episode taught me about being kind to small animals and the lessons it played. Its sad to see creators of shows like this go, but they had their time and made a positive impact on society.

July 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tracie

I like tootsie rolls.

July 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. vikingwoman

My phone didn't support the page so I couldn't read the whole letter, but I must say the tone was a bit congratulatory. I thought we were supposed to show up humble at the Pearly Gates, & thank God for the life he gave us, not the other way around. But it's all a fantasy setting anyway, so I guess he took some literary licence being a writer & all!! RIP it, Mr. Schwartz, loved your shows!!

July 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joanne Wilton

It's a shame you weren't able to read his letter. It's not self-congratulatory at all, but a grateful acknowledgement of what he considered his life's blessings.

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

You should read the whole letter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/07/a_conversation_at_the_gates_1_2011_a_p_4.jpg
      While he is proud of his accomplishments his tone is rather grateful. More people should be like him. I'll miss him.

July 14, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  16. LL

Goodbye Mr. Schwartz!

July 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. duh

oh yeah i'm sure the people that look at this site have heard of this guy

July 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL

Even if Sherwood Schwartz's name isn't well-known by many of the younger generation, his TV shows are ("The Brady Bunch", "My Favorite Martian", "Gilligan's Island", etc.) so yes, people on this site will have heard of this guy. You've probably never heard of this guy because his kids aren't fame mongers (e.g. Tori Spelling) and his shows were staples on tv well before all of this reality TV crap we have now.

July 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

I hope his letter really had you're and not your – he's a writer after all.

July 14, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |