Zooey Deschanel fires back over 'cow' comment
July 12th, 2011

Zooey Deschanel fires back over 'cow' comment

Zooey Deschanel is biting back at an L.A. Times opinion piece that suggested the actress came across as a "snobby cow" in a recent interview.

Talking to USA Today about the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's attendance at Saturday's BAFTA event, Deschanel seemed to fret that the downtown L.A. area where the black tie gathering was hosted was too rundown for the regal couple. "I just don't want them to see the worst of L.A.," she reportedly said.

When writer Patt Morrison saw that comment, she accused Deschanel of looking down her nose at the district.  "I cannot apologize enough to Ms. Deschanel that in some places the sidewalks do not smell like Jo Malone candles," she wrote.  (Reading this prompted me to familiarize myself with Jo Malone candles, which I learned are "the easiest and most evocative way to create a luxurious ambiance.")

The star of Fox's new show "The New Girl" has since fired back in an open letter on her website calling the assertions made in the piece "vile" and "toxic."

According to Deschanel, she told USA Today, “It’s funny they brought royalty here, there is a parking lot with trash around the corner."

The actress writes in her letter, "It wasn’t an opinion. It was true. There was indeed a parking lot with trash around the corner. I thought that the juxtaposition of British Royalty and trash was amusing in a high-brow + low brow sort of way, but I never said that I, personally, didn’t like downtown, the Royals, or even trash...I NEVER said that downtown L.A. was the worst of L.A."

CNN checked with USA Today's Claudia Puig to see what she made of the disagreement. Puig said she reviewed her notes and that it appeared Deschanel had indeed been talking about nearby parking lots and not necessarily the whole of downtown L.A. A-ha!

Thank goodness the Royals are back in Britain at a safe remove from this vitriolic battle - they're probably traipsing about a castle, inhaling the luxurious scent of a Jo Malone candle.

1. ALL-300|leak detector|leak locator| smog machine

I do not even know how I stopped up right here, but I believed this put up was good. I do not recognize who you might be however certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already. Cheers!

July 24, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Fast Quick Diet

I just like the helpful information you provide for your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check once more here frequently. I am fairly certain I will be told many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

July 21, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Barrier with wooden Base

Wonderful web site. A lot of helpful info here. I'm sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks on your sweat!

April 5, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Elizabeth

"They're probably traipsing about a castle, inhaling the luxurious scent of a Jo Malone candle"

They're newlyweds, do you really believe that they're even leaving their room?

August 5, 2011 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. JohnF

i dont understand>>>everyone knows LA sucks anyway

August 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. oh please

HOW was this worth reporting?

August 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. washingtonpharmgirl

yawn. leave her alone-its her opinion. sleeping now.

August 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shawn Davis

War, famine, pestilence and injustice going on all around the globe, and i'm reading this trash. I feel like an idiot.

August 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Purebredmutt

As a direct decendant of this so called Royal family, I would have toured them directly through the parking lot. They are not who you believe them to be and certainly do not deserve the life style they enjoy.

August 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dee

The royals should see the trash around the corner- w/ their philanthropist nature.. maybe they will donate to paying our utility bills in getting the trash picked up..

August 2, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Purebredmutt

More likely that they would permit you to clean it up while they watched.
      Maybe the would permit a photo to be taken showing them pretending to help – but I doubt it.

August 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. J0nx

Is that a protruding vein under her left eye?? That would gross me out to stare at that for any amount of time. She is still ridiculously adorable though. Huge fan of the dark haired/blue eyed woman with alabaster skin. Yum!

July 27, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa Davidson

Patt Morrison should talk (or is it Morison? I'm afraid if I click the back button I won't find this page again) - the last time I read her column was when, as an obituary send-off, she criticized Rose Bird's clothing sense. God forbid we should worry about the death penalty in California when we can talk about what we look like. Anyway, I find it peculiar that she doesn't want to criticize the dirt and trash in downtown LA, a place that everyone is afraid to go at night. Why is it wrong to tell the truth? Downtown LA is a horrible place. That's why the cheap hotels are there, right? It only makes sense. And every attempt made to make it nicer, such as the Frank Gehry building, just looks ridiculous, because it doesn't go with the rest of the street and looks like an alien invasion. I applaud the newly married couple for going down there, but I certainly wouldn't lie about what they were getting themselves into. Does Patt Mor[r]ison actually walk around in downtown LA at night? If she does, I take it all back.

July 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ShaneB

Zooey _is_ the awesome sauce.

July 26, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. ANGEL

First of all, who cares what Zooey says or think!! She can't act worth a d*mn and i'm sick of seeing her in movies!!! And to waste an ounce of space to write about her and some royals means that the author of this article needs to be fired and find a real job!!!

July 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Daniel

What was she talking about? The Royals are only fit for trash, nothing better.

July 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. more like a pig than a cow

she really looks a lot more like a white pig to me. but i would hit it hard.

July 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. been to the east side

too bad the prince and his anorexic bride were not set upon by the street colonists. there has got to be a revolution. again. and this time we throw off the shackles of the hollywood hills.

July 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. the_dude

Zoey how dare you speak the truth when describing a blighted section of a crap town.

July 20, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. Cow Truth

What's the fuss about? She spoke the truth! Downtown L.A. is horrible. I get that Grauman's Chinese Theatre and the Walk of Fame are there... but seriously, even us "regular" people feel like they need a bodyguard and a sanitizer when walking around down there! Actually, I wouldn't mind somebody spraying a little Jo Malone scent in the air as I walk by... (kidding)

July 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. debbie

She's a beautiful woman...cow?? no way! One things for sure though, she can't sing for squat! sorry but it's true

July 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Tom

I never heard of Zooey Deschanel until now. Wow, she's cute!

July 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Yes, she is so cute. Check out this video. It's I Put A Spell On You an Conan. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/Nc-mWT2a7zU

August 2, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. SaiNt

Zooey. I love you and think you are one of the most gorgoues, classy ladies around today. Man if I had ever had a chance to meet her face to face I'd woo her to be mine happily.

July 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

Wait..... I thought she was a vegan? They hate cows, Don't they?

July 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dave

What is funny is that the british still have Royalty

I am sure Zooey showed proper respect to the royal couple who are of course better that ordinary people from birth

July 15, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  25. randylmayes

I need to find out where I can get Jo Malone candles in rural Pennsylvania! They may be able to rid my place of the scent or real cows. I'm not worried about the fake ones. Zoey is too cute and fun to be a cow. Besides, I could never find a cow that could act.

July 15, 2011 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. Rozita

It figures. The LA Times screws up once again.

July 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Ilovezooey

Ignore the haters Zooey. You are so cute!

July 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mark

She's fat and ugly, like most Brit chicks. MOOO!!!

July 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mehgann

She is neither fat, ugly, nor is she British. Wow, you're an idiot.

July 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hardtymze

didnt she make some stupid comment about being compared to looking like katy perry or vice versa when perry was nobody, and now perrys career is bigger than hers ,lol?

July 14, 2011 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • mcbarge

Katy Perry's career will be over in another 5 min, while Zooey will go on and on.

July 15, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  30. madhater

Everyone needs to stop talking all together, you bug me.

July 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Meghan

Seriously, I love Zooey to pieces, but really? Does this have to be such a big deal? She's been so good about keeping to herself throughout her successful film and music career, but since she's landed this Fox deal her head's inflated. I agree that Patt Morrison made an immature and unfounded statement, but people talk about you when you're a celebrity; Zooey's been doing this long enough and she should know that. People who know and love her understand that she doesn't hate downtown LA: That should be enough. Let's stop making mountains out of molehills and RESPECT one another, shall we?

July 12, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • kmoney

the only thing mountainous over here is your unnecessarily long comment

July 29, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. NoBritishRoyaltyInAmerica

This is AMERICA. Why are we even throwing parties for representatives of a system of rule we fought against??? Zoey, if you think the 'Royal Brits' deserve anything more than a dunk in the Boston Harbor then take your azz to Great Britain... or Canada.

July 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

The war for independence ended 228 years ago; I think we can let it go. We've been allies since before your grandparents were born.

July 16, 2011 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Jarrod

We didn't right against "the system," we just didn't want them ruling us.

August 3, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  33. Ahnold

I'd smack it off her head

July 12, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. theDude

No shame Zoo girl....everyone knows downtown LA is the terrible.

July 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kent basil rotundmid

chocolate doodoo at that. not the good strawberry flavored doodoo everyone likes so much these days.

July 12, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  36. fernace

Once upon a time a pretty actress who had an ad campaign, but before was not in the public eye much, had a run in with reporters! There was a she said/she said tumult, but in the end all was well! The actress' ad campaign will enjoy a revival, & the reporter will get a raise! All lived happily ever after, the end!!

July 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. joe bob

yeah ! I readed em at luntch toeday. they was funny. bout cows an farm animals an stuff.

July 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. zoooo eeeeey

Why did they delete all the funny cow jokes? They was good uns.

July 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. The Hamburglar

Robble Robble

July 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Spaceman

I'd milk her, is she really only 31 ?

July 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. San Jose

I love her! She's definitely my girl crush.

July 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ZEBRA

Hey, Rapmaster Z you blew it by not being able to type....DUH !! Who's the cow now ???

July 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |