Watch a preview of the new 'Dallas'
July 12th, 2011

Watch a preview of the new 'Dallas'

Love the idea or hate it, a new “Dallas” is definitely happening.

Talk of TNT’s pilot has been floating around since last fall, and now the network (which, like CNN, is owned by Time Warner) has announced that it’s been greenlit as a series, and that the network has ordered 10 episodes to air next summer.

As we told you before, the plot for the updated version tells the story of the Ewing descendants, John Ross Ewing, son of JR (played by Larry Hagman in the original series) and his ex-wife Sue Ellen (Linda Gray), and his cousin Christopher Ewing, the adopted son of Bobby (played by Patrick Duffy).

All these years later, and the drama is alive and well within the Texan oil and cattle dynasty, with John Ross and Christopher not only battling over the family's fortune but also winding up in a love triangle with the ranch cook’s daughter, Elena.

Duffy, Gray and Hagman all reprise their roles in the series, and TNT has tapped "Desperate Housewives" alums Josh Henderson and Jesse Metcalfe to play John Ross and Christopher, respectively. Jordana Brewster's taking the role of the love interest, Elena.

A preview of the show aired last night during the season premieres of “The Closer” at 9 p.m. and “Rizzoli & Isles” at 10 p.m. ET. Check out the clip above - did TNT make the right call in resurrecting the long running show?

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. Diet Solution

I do like the manner in which you have framed this concern plus it really does supply me a lot of fodder for thought. Nevertheless, from everything that I have witnessed, I only hope when other responses pack on that men and women keep on issue and not get started upon a soap box of the news of the day. Still, thank you for this superb piece and although I do not really agree with it in totality, I regard your perspective.

April 4, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. jedigramz

I'm so glad they are bringing back this show. I loved it, I have all the shows taped, even the two extras they made after the shows, which explains the shot JR shot. I even like the pre-Dallas show, but lost that movie somewhere. Does anyone remember that one? It showed when Elly and Jock first met, Digger liking Elly, etc. Explains the fued between Jock and Digger.

December 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LCRARanger

Excellent. Great idea to tell the continuing story of the Ewings. Looks like a fun adaptation. I just hope they'll write in more rotorwing scenes with the "Southfork Ranch Helicopter" and more scenes set on "the Ewing Oil Jet."

July 14, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. KC

"I'll never forgive you for that, Jock!"

July 13, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DCBuckeye

FINALLY! Something besides yet another moronic "reality" show!! As a die-hard fan of the original series, I'm willing to give this update a chance. I'm just glad the "Dallas" movie was killed . . . J-Lo as Sue Ellen?? Travolta as J.R.?!?!? They had to be nuts!

July 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Erwin

It just goes to show you that what once was is here again. Yes, this show is needed for TV again. There is so much stupid brainless TV on right now. There are some good shows on but you can put them in one hand. Maybe they will also bring back the "Dallas" spinoff show "Knotts Landing". The two shows actually go hand in hand and are very connected. Props to the people that brought this show back. It will be a ratings hit all over again. Long, Long overdue!! The original cast will bring back great memories for people. Maybe there is a saving grace left for TV afterall.

July 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

I will definitely watch – I'm sick of "Reality" TV I want some good old fashioned soap opera drama on a weekly basis...Bring back Linda Gray, Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy noone else can play those roles they are ICONIC. While you are at it bring back DYNASTY too!

July 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DallasGuy

stupid

July 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mary

Love it, Cant wait to watch this, It was the best show ever ,

July 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lisa

wait a sec....didn't the series end with Bobby going up to JR's room and a gunshot doing off? assuming he committed suicide? wonder if they will continue from that to explain it.

July 12, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jo Nicholas

And you thought Soap Operas were dead? Welcome back to Dallas! I will be there!

July 12, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ann54

I bet this will be as entertaining as a ball of pubes

July 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Timme62

Sorry, without the shoulder pads from hell it just won't fly.

July 12, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Pamela

Yes I loved Dallas..err I should say Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy.....but as long as they are in the remake ( or continuation) I'm sure the show will be another hit. But, what about Pam Ewing ( Victoria Principle )? Did she refuse to star in the "continuation"? Oh well, her loss. As far as I'm concerned they could replay the old shows and then play the new ones after that. You young people don't know what REAL tv is...so go back to your virtual reality shows and leave us to our REAL tv.

July 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. charlie crack

Southfork will be a madhouse....good for the city income/tourism though.

July 11, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. vickie

I am sooo excited to see this!! I watched every episode, sometimes at my favorite bar! Yes, even the bars had it on it was that popular!! I have a bottle of original Ewing Oil!! any takers???

July 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. peggy

loved the original, hope this Dallas is as good as the original

July 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LEARNTOREAD

HOW STUPID IS THE PERSON WHO WROTE THIS STORY ? PRETTY DUMB, IT IS NOT A REMAKE, FOR THAT YOU WAVE DIFFERENT PEOPLE PLAYINMG THE OLD ROLES...........

THIS IS A CONTUNUATION WITH THE OLD CHARACTERS PLAYED BY THE SAME ACTORS – JR – BOBBY – SUE ELLEN – RAY – LUCY

July 11, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jillmarie

I have childhood memories of watching the show. Can't wait- loved the original! I'll DVR it when the full season starts- I don't watch those shows so no preview for me tonight. Maybe I can find it online. If anyone does, let me know!

July 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. quantikaroshondajigum

I cannot wait to see Dallas. It was simply the best show ever. And, it is brilliant to continue the saga with the children of the original characters. My DVR will be set for sure!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeeehawwww

July 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Wow!

The storyline will be,"Who shot JRs son, JR"? Woo, I can hardly wait!

July 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. The Måd Råp3r

What is this, the year hollywood completely ran out of ideas? Remake after remake, with reality show filler. Innovative scripted TV seems to be dying even more quickly than it was in the last decade.

July 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |