Trouble’s brewing on ‘True Blood’
July 11th, 2011

Trouble’s brewing on ‘True Blood’

Last night’s episode was the calm before the storm with witches gone rogue, a little role reversal between vamps and the emergence of a new top cat in Hotshot.

After Sookie rolled up on Eric dazed and confused and half-naked, she discovered that he had, in fact, taken a turn for the better. Kinder, though still true to his vampire urges, Sookie agreed to help him so long as he didn't touch and/or feed on her.

Eric told her what he could remember about his run-in with Marnie and the Moon Goddess crew. Sookie in turn told Pam what happened and a Pam-style freak out commenced.

She told Sookie that she would have to hide Eric, saying the witches who cursed him would eventually come looking for him. This was the first Sookie had heard about witches in Bon Temps. Her response – “Now I have to deal with witches?” – was likely something we all thought after watching the trailer for this season, but the bright side here is that they haven’t given us anything to complain about so far.

Pam also theorized that Bill set Eric up and sent him to confront the coven knowing he'd be attacked. And really, would it be a surprise at this point? With his newfound kingdom, Bill is much less benevolent monarch and way more douchey hard-ass in the vein of the late Magister. I’m not sure how this is all going to play out, but if he’s not actively pining over Sookie and we’re spared their corny sex-having music, I’m good.

Bill later met Portia Bellefleur for a business dinner where she proposed that they kick their relationship up a notch and start doing it. He obliged, but told her that he could never love her. They did it anyway. It’s good to be the king.

Meanwhile, Sookie heeded Pam’s warning and paid a visit to Alcide at his new place in Shreveport and asked him to babysit Eric. He didn’t have room at his place because – Callooh! Callay! – Debbie’s back!

When we last saw Debbie, she’d skittered off into the night after a fight with Sookie left her looking like the Joker. And even though she’s now sober and blonde and down with Jesus, the Hot Mess Express is back in the picture and there’s plenty of time left for her to fall apart. It’s probably bad karma to pray for a fictional character’s relapse, but somebody get this lady a V-drip, stat!

Elsewhere, the witches were all in a dither over Eric's visit. Lafayette stressed to the group that Eric wasn't someone to be messed with. He later told Jesus and Tara, in town from New Orleans, that he planned to make the trek to Fangtasia to beg Eric's forgiveness.

Lafayette’s plan backfired when he found himself back in Fangtasia's dungeon with Pam, but it wasn't long before Jesus and Tara arrived guns a blazin’ and told Pam that they could help reverse the curse. In true Pam fashion, she gave them 24 hours to produce Marnie…or else.

Over in Hotshot, the Land That Time and Soap Forgot, Jason continued to languish sexily on a filthy mattress after Crystal and Felton attempted to turn him into one of their own. He was drugged and later awoke to discover that all the women of childbearing age in the community were waiting in line to have sex with him.

Remember how I said this show owns the “WTF?” moment? Well here you go. Ugh.

In other news, Jessica told Hoyt about her indiscretion at Fangtasia. When he blew up at her, she glamoured him into forgetting about her confession.

And remember that creepy doll that appeared at the couple’s home last season? It keeps coming back despite repeated attempts to get rid of it. (A dash more nightmare juice, please!)

So who's behind it? Summer? Maxine? Perhaps Maxine cajoled Tommy into doing her bidding. After all, Tommy loves Jessica and hates Hoyt. Maxine wants her baby back and Jessica staked, so it’s possible.

After all, what else does Tommy have to do? His new life at Maxine’s consists of watching home shopping, learning to read and trying to rip her off, so there was plenty of time to torment his nemesis and the girl he secretly pined for.

And just when you thought we were rid of the fairies forever – and it finally, FINALLY looks like we might be – Claudine resurfaced and made yet another attempt to get Sookie to come with her. Mercifully, Eric appeared and drained her dry; in my opinion a perfect way to end the episode. You’ve always been my favorite, Northman.

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. LoopsFroot

I'm sick of the hill-billy trailer trash set known as HotShot. One question, can't Sookie tell that Jason is in trouble or does she have to be within a certain distance to hear his thoughts?

July 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cafe Hunk

Now, C'Mon! Everyone must agree that sNookie sNackhouse is not only vampire crack, she's tastier than sNausages.

July 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Laycie Metzger

soo if Eric drain Claudine, Can he walk in the sunlight??? Shes full Fairy.... Sookie is like only a small part fairy.. and vampires last season wanted to drain her to they could walk in the sun,, what would a pure blood fae do??

July 11, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TLC

the scene wtih Jason and those girls was truly disgusting. Alan Ball should be ashamed of himself. I will agree he
    has strayed too far from the books,

July 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. markiejoe

Does anybody still watch this balderdash? This show jumped the shark after Season 2. I quit it for good half way through last season. Just unwatchable.

July 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Greg

The show always takes things from the book and reverse's it, If someone is good and nice in the book there evil and mean in the Show, If someone is Honorable in the book there a low life in the show, Tara is white in the Book shes Black in the show,The Faries are beautiful in the Book there demons from hell in the show, The writers of the show just aren't that original,
    Unfortunately since I have read the books the show falls short, I still like it, but I think in lots of cases sticking with the plot in the Book would have been great.

July 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Misty

Pacman,
    You capitalized the words basic english (wrong)
    You forgot your apostrophe in the word its (contraction of the words "it" and "is"
    The sentence "Since its obvious you cannot read or write correctly" should not, in fact, be a separate sentence but a continuation of the previous sentence where a comma in utilized in between the words english and since.
    It should be "Anna Paquin's character is named Sookie Stackhouse"
    You made some grammatical errors as well!

July 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TBFan

I get tired of people complaining about the show vs the books. Don't watch the show! Its not the show's fault the books are not following the movie. BTW, Snookie is so hot this season.

July 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JJ

This season has started out poorly..weak acting, subpar directing, and high levels of predictability. Actually, they are lsing me as a fan. Sad, really.

July 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PHAN

THE EPISODE WAS TERRIBLE. PAM, IS THE ONLY INTERESTING CHARACTER THIS SHOW HAS LEFT. LORENA WAS DRIVING THIS SHOW. TOO BAD THEY KILLED HER OFF...

July 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis Boki

Could we then count on you no longer posting your ridiculous comments?

July 20, 2011 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. KLJ

Thought last nights episode was a little slow but loved how Eric called Sookie "Snooki" and she corrected him and then at the end when she was reading a book waiting for Eric to come home it was a Charlene Harris novel. A nice tip of the hat!

July 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Who Cares?

The "Grave Sight" series are the best of her books.
    Just sayin.

¤.¤

July 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Who Cares?

The "Grave Sight" series are the best of her books.
    Just sayin.

July 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. shawn

I like the fairy side story/world and so far I really like this season. The worst season was the last half of season 2 with that dumb maenad plot. I couldn't stand the characters and their goofy tranced out faces. I am also happily surprised by the witches! I can't wait to see what happens!

July 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wow!

After saying,"you killed fairy godmother", did everyone yell,"You b@stard"! ???

July 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jujubeans

anytime I see a hot woman crawling on the carpet, I'm interested!

July 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ChaosNmotion

I am liking this season much better than last so far.. but I could totally do without the whole Hotshot storyline.. I like how Jason has majored but the whole inbred, dumb as dirt thing with the panthers was old last season. I hate what has been done to Andy, I like crusty old Andy not v-addict Andy... and I'm glad they redeemed Sam but Tara needs to get some voice lessons and cultivate a more realistic accent or just give it up and play it straight but at least she's a little less whiney and not so annoying to watch. I thought I would love the Jessica/Hoyt relationship but they are making it to trite and "normal" for my tastes, it's BORING to watch now. Loving Eric and Sookie as always though her lines I agree do come off as comical and not in a good way at times.. if they would just drop the cliche and develop her and Eric's relationship that's all they would need. And Bill.. well what can I say... the 1st season was the only season I have truly like his character.. I'm just hoping this whole witch thing doesn't go the way of Mary-Ann and her cult because they was utter crap and lasted way to long. Overall with a few exceptions I think this is the best season so far since the 1st and have high hopes for what's to come.

July 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Deeezzz

Who cares about the books, this is a great show. Enjoy and quit comparing a book to a tv show. You can't fit everything single detail in a book and translate it into a tv show.

July 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. palintwit

Here in the Palin household we like to smell our own farts. That's why we always pull our blankets over our heads.

July 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kristin

Great episode, especially scenes with Eris and Sookie. I wish they spent less time on the Hotshot scenes. They were all the same dialogue and they should have focused more on Eric. He is increadible!

July 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

The issue I have with the Hot Shot part is that Calvin Norris was a good man, not a crazy drug dealer and then kill him off the same season they bring him into the story! I am sick of a great story line being changed this much! Calvin was a great part of the books and him and Sookies interactions are great! Now I am worried that they will not bring in Sookies man that is the Tiger. I think that this was some of the best books with him in them. Also the witch war, the King of Alabama trying to kill the Queen in New Orleans and also the Fay wars.

July 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grammer are good

Your grammar and spelling are impeccable. I commend you madam, for your fine attention to detail and dedication to higher learning.

July 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. TXFan

In the books, it's explained that Bill's wife was a Bellefleur. So yes, Andy and Portia, and cousin Terry are all related to Bill.

July 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laycie

Yepp, Bill was doing his great great grand-daughter, CREEEPYYYYYYYYY.. (vomits in mouth)

July 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  22. TBFan

Portia is Bill's Great-Great-Grandfather?

July 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

Yes he is. In the books Bill gives the family money to fix up the old home of the grandmother which is Bills family. He never tells them until much later when the grandmother is dying. Also in the books Bill dates her, but never sleeps with her because she is family.

July 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

Lol, I just got what you ae saying! Funny!

July 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JohnRJohnson

Last night was a terrible episode. Long moments of baleful looks, no action and no dialogue. After the episode was over, I turned to my wife and said, "They should fire the writers and director who worked on this one." In the entire hour of the show, there was maybe 10 minutes of interesting stuff. It's not enough. The trailer for next week looks more promising, but this one was awful.

July 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnRJohnson

By the way, the last line - "You killed my fairy godmother!" - It was the worst, most predictable line they've ever had in any episode.

July 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CLN

Wait a minute...I liked that line. Eric didn't know who she was and Sookie was telling him. HELLO! Also ironic considering Claudine had just told her its too dangerous for her to be around vampires. The show is SUPPOSED to be campy.

July 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis Boki

Thankfully, YOU do not control what we see on the show. I think the season has started out strong and engaging.

July 20, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  24. DangerWilRobinson

I didn't read the books because I knew from the get-go that Alan Ball was going to take it in his own direction. I just love this show. And this site really does the best recaps. They are so funny and spot on. I love that Sookie was reading a Charlaine Harris book when Sarah Mclachlan er um....her fairy godmother showed up. Loving this season. And loved the last line, "You killed my fairy godmother!"

July 11, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Chartreuxe

If you didn't read the books how do you know how far Alan Ball took the story off book? There are LGBT characters in the books.

Methinks thou dost protest too much for what thou knowest.

August 4, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mike

The thought of Bill doing it with his great-great- granddaughter, Portia Bellefleur is a little creepy.

July 11, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. tlee

Great episode! Pam absolutely rocked and Debbie, well, that was awkward for her." Don't step on the rug" made me laugh at timid Eric, but when he drained Claudine he was his old bad self. Gotta love this show.

July 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  27. JimmyNice

I actually like Bill being made a king... I love the Books, but Bill really falls into the background over book 4, 5 and 6 with maybe a conversation or 2 with Sookie over the entire books... their aren't going to do that in the show as he's a main character that people have grown to love (or love to hate) as the series has gone on. Bill still loves her and we see that with the "I'll never love you" he tells Portia. I think it's an interesting way to keep him involved in the Vampire politics that really come to the forefront over the next few books.

It's fun seeing Erik play out the role and the changes to me, are some of the best stuff so far this year (Sam hanging with other shifters, Lafayette with the witches... heck he was supposed to die at the end of season one if you go by the books...and Jessica never existed!... so I like the changes that have been made) ... as long as we don't go back to the fairy realm anytime soon.

July 11, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • CLN

I like Bill being King as well. I was worried how they were going to keep him involved and interesting...not just pining after Sookie like in the books.

Eric losing his memory is my favorite book so I am so looking forward to the rest of the season. I just hope they don't drag it out too long...which they have a tendency to do with this show. The first two episodes had an awesome pace. Last night was a little slow, but I hope they pick it up again. TEAM NORTHMAN!

July 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. CHEEFSFURY

HOW COME THAT YOU REVIEW THIS SHOW BUT EVER PARAGRAPH HAS A COMPLAINT WHY EVEN WATCH THE SHOW IF YOU DONT LIKE IT

July 11, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. lancon454

I love how Sookie was reading a Sookie Stackouse novel in this episode!

July 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • ms codpiece

i noticed that too! thought that was brilliant!

July 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarrisFan

Pretty sure it was a book from the Grave Sight series and not the Sookie Stackhouse series. I believe it was "An Ice Cold Grave." It's my favorite series by Charleen Harris, followed closely by Sookie, then Teagarden and Lily Bard.

July 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

I have never read her other books, but I am reading the latest Sookie book at this time.

July 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenickki

Agreed. I thought it was brilliant.

July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. True blood fan

@Snookums, I hope you are just being stupid. Snookie and Sookie are two different people. For the show, I enjoy it but have no clue where they are going with it. Claudine is supposed to die in the Farie war not drained dry by Eric. I really do not like Bill being the King. And what about the conference that they go to later and Eric gets his third bite. Well I guess we shall see.

July 11, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • lancon454

I also do not like the direction they are taking the show, but if you have read the books it ruins the show for you. I know they say that the show is based on the books, but not just like them. I will keep watching!

July 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • WLM

@truebloodfan... they went to the conference in Season 2.. thats why when she went to the "Fairyland" she saw Barry. As for Claudine being drained that sucks.. I am not sure I like where it is going with the witches or with Tara's story..... I do like the Jason story.. it is gonig in the right direction I hope

July 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kattywumpas

This is a classy group of people writing all of these posts. In case you were wondering, that was sarcasm.

July 11, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. WLM

I wish the serise was more true to the books. Would rather see Claudine helping Sookie then try to kill her and where is her twin brother Claude? At least the story is true to Eric loosing his memory and bring back Debbie if it goes the same as the book.. As for Bill becoming King, I dont like that, the books are much better..... But I still love the show!

July 11, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • dp1053

I agree the books are much better. I can't understand why they strayed so far from the books. They lost me in the first season.

July 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drinker

I have gotten to the point that I can't stand the show. It is so much trashier than the books. Why even call it true blood, they could have renamed the characters and called it something else!

July 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max

They needed to stray from the books because Alan Ball has to push his LGBT agenda.

July 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • AAAAA

I thought the same thing but given how bad the books are the further you read in the series I am glad they are taking this turn. This is one of the few times, the show is better than the books. (in my opinion of course)

July 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. RedWings

True blood!! I love Heavy Flow days...

July 11, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  34. jb

her name is SOOKIE not snookie loser

July 11, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. pacman

@snookums I recommend you going back to school and learning Basic English. Since its obvious you can not read or write correctly. Anna Paquin character is names Sookie Stackhouse, SOOKIE you half whit! There is no Z in Jersey and it’s their not there. More Proof American education is going down the tubes.

July 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. utoolbox

If you are trying to be funny, you're doing it wrong. If you are serious, go back to high school and tell them you aren't smart enough to keep up with the real world of television.

July 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. YouEffinMoron

Snookums,

You may be the dumbest person to have ever posted on the internet.
    Is their "N" key broken?? No..it is not broken you putz..
    I think you left your brain in the toaster this morning on your way out the door..assuming you were awake at all..

did you even read the friggin article?

Putz Hater