Ten questions with 'Glee's' Coach Beiste
July 11th, 2011

Ten questions with 'Glee's' Coach Beiste

Although Dot-Marie Jones has been acting for nearly 20 years, it wasn't until "Glee" that she found a part she said she'd gladly play for the rest of her life.

Jones - better known as Coach Beiste - had previously worked with "Glee" creators and writers Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk on "Nip/Tuck" and an unaired pilot called "Pretty/Handsome." After falling in love with the show's first season, she begged them to write her a part for season 2.

Although Jones isn't sure if Coach Beiste will be back for season 3, she did spill details on why she loves the character, what she's been up to this summer - which includes being a guest judge on "RuPaul's Drag U," airing tonight at 9 p.m. ET on Logo - and who she'd like to arm wrestle on the show.

CNN: When people first saw Coach Beiste, they weren't sure what to expect. What kind of reaction have people had?

Dot-Marie Jones: It's been nothing but positive feedback for me, as far as the show and my character. I think it's fantastic.

I've gotten letters from girls - one girl was, I think, probably in her 20s - [and] she said that she loved my role on the first episode where no one would let me eat lunch with them at their table. She said that she was always one of the girls that never had a place to sit for lunch.

I was bawling my eyes out writing her back and I said, "You'll always have a seat at my table." What do you say to that - other than you put your arms around them through an e-mail.

CNN: What do you think about the show's plot lines and its reputation for dealing with potentially controversial issues?

DJ: There's at least one lesson in every show where people can learn. I don't even like the word "accepting" because who the hell is anybody to accept [anyone else]? I don't like that word at all. I don't like tolerant, either, because to me that means you're putting up with something that you don't like - you're tolerating it.

I love the show and I love the messages it gives. It's a 'people are people, get your head out of your ass' type of deal. And for those that don't like it or don't watch it, they're missing out.

CNN: You've had a somewhat unconventional career, from majoring in criminology in college to starring as Lady Battleaxe on "Knights and Warriors." What's something that fans would be surprised to find out about you?

DJ: I think that I am that big softie. You know, it's like I've had people say, 'God I thought you'd be so mean.' And I'm like, why? Because I'm big? I'm 6'3" and 250 [pounds]. It doesn't mean I'm the Tasmanian Devil.

CNN: What have you been up to this summer?

DJ: "RuPaul's Drag U" asked me to be a guest judge. It was wonderful. Ru is a doll - I love him. Everybody else on the show that was involved, from in front of the camera to behind the camera, was great.

What they do is they take somebody and make them over. ... [On my episode] there were three butch girls, and they made them over to be feminine - it was unbelievable.

CNN: What does the future hold for your acting career?

DJ: I love what I'm doing on "Glee" - I'd like to be on it forever. In my off time, if it works out, I'd love to do more movies and also other guest spots on shows that I love. I've always wanted to be on "Sons of Anarchy" to play Ron Perlman's sister because I love motorcycles, and I love riding.

CNN: You've said you love what the writers give you as far the script goes, but do you have any ideas or scenes you'd like to see on the show?

DJ: I'd like to do an episode - this is a dream of mine for the show - where I'm the substitute for the glee club for a day, like Matt (Morrison) has to go do something, or some type of conflict where we think the other one has the best, easiest job.

CNN: Do you have a favorite character or plot on the show?

DJ: The storyline I was surprised about was Naya Rivera's Santana. I love the episode where she's telling Brittany that she's in love with her and she starts crying - I don't know, it was just really a beautiful scene. It was great for Naya - Naya's got an incredible voice. All those kids are so gifted and talented.

CNN: You have the impressive distinction of holding 15 arm wrestling world titles. We have to ask: If Coach Beiste could have an arm wrestling competition on the show, who would she challenge?

DJ: I'd definitely have to arm wrestle Jane [Lynch] - that would just be hilarious. I don't know - her character's so mean, she'd probably bite me so she'd win.

I love her. She's great. She's like an acting class everyday. And she's fun, it's easy and it was totally comfortable from the beginning, as it was with all the kids.

CNN: Have people started to recognize you more often because of this role?

DJ: It's amazing the demographics of the people that watch this show. There was an older man in the airport one time - he had to have been in his 80s - and I was walking through the airport.

He smacked me on the arm and he goes, "I like your work." I stopped for a second and talked to him. He and his wife had watched "Glee," and they loved me. I've had little kids run up to me and hug me because I'm Coach Beiste.

CNN: You signed a blank contract before taking the role, meaning you didn't know anything about the part. Has Coach Beiste met your expectations?

DJ: It's finally a role where I'm not playing the big, tough chick. I am still playing the tough chick, but I'm also showing a vulnerable side and a heart. And I love that - it's a dream.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee

1. Rays

This is so long i'm lazy to read this but i love glee and the character ,music i wait for glee season. 3 this is so long or not season3

July 12, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gleep

Love Coach Beiste. So much can be done with her character. It's unexplored territory. Let's dump Jesse. His characters been done to death, and I, for one, am not interested in a Jesse/Fin rivalry. It's been done to death.
    Since "Jane" has sworn off the glee club let's see what happens when she tries to take up the Beiste. I hope I have ringside seats.

July 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ping

Love Glee. Love all the characters. Wasn't sure about the direction Coach Bieste was going to take the first time I saw her but I love her.

July 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Steve

I love Dot Marie and her character, Coach Biest, like crazy! Hope to see more of her on Glee! Love her idea for taking over Glee for a day or week!

July 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jan j

I love her and the rest of glee . Great show im a big gleek ciao

July 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bamajean

Yeah- like Ms. Jones gives a rip about what any of you losers say about her and her looks.....she's crying all the way to the bank.

July 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kimpizzle

Dot-Marie Jones is a fantastic actress and seems like an even more awesome person. I appreciate all you fellow supporters of an amazing woman and it isn't despite how she looks. To each their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz. Shut your face if you have nothing but negative energy to blast around, you are obviously not a glee fan if you are so insistent on spreading your hate. Nor are you even a worth while person. Keep rocking it Dot-Marie as well as the rest of the cast! The haters are jealous because they are just mediocre with nothing unique or awesome about them. I guarantee they are single and alone.

July 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GoldenAZ

Hey Haters – are YOU on one of the most popular shows on TV? Are YOU laughing all the way to the bank? Did any of YOU get to kiss Matthew Morrison? How are things up there in your perfect world, and didn't your parents teach you any self-control or manners? I pity you people who judge others by their looks – empty, soulless and alone in the end.

Keep being you, Dot-Marie. Keep making all us "losers" happy just by being out there and taking chances. The Haters just don't get it...and never will.

July 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cinzia

shut up all you haters... don't like what you're seeing?... click onto another site idiots! She sounds like a great person who is thankful for her work. Get a life the rest of you!!!!

July 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Julie

Wonder what some of the people look like that are making bad comments about her?! Some people have little minds and little brains!!

July 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Wendy

I love her playing that character!! She is doing such a great job and I hope she is there for Season 3. Would love to see her on there again!!

July 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Liss

Ur all disgusting people. No, I'm sure you're all 'perfect 10's'...

July 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jj

Coach is a great role, and she does a great job with it! Congrats. Hope to see more, and glad she got a role to remember – tho it's hard to top Lady Battleaxe! (I'd love to see a clip of that!)

July 12, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. jmoore

I love the fact that Dot is 6'3 and 250 lbs. She has a heart, people. That's what counts more than anything. Let's get over the superficial crap . She's also a great actress. I love the part she plays and I'd love to meet her in person. I'm 6'1 and a big lady too. We are all misunderstood and are often portrayed as being mean bullies. Why can't you see past the face and body and find out who we are inside? Take your time. We're worth it. If you can't see that much, perhaps YOU'RE not worth knowing.

July 12, 2011 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • gLEEFAN

Because people are too superficial these days, and are sheeps of society. If you're big, than youre a lazy slob. If youre super skinny, you're an eating disorder walking freak. And in between, they're just jealous their mediocre. :) Don't let people get to you, if they can't see past the outside they"re not worth being you're friend. You don't need 80000000 friends contrary to what facebook and myspace make people believe. I'd much rather a few close friends, than a ton of aquaintences who don't get the real me.

July 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • bliss101

well said

July 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wow!

This show sounds a little to "happy" for me. Where's Cletus? I'd rather go corn shuckin'!

July 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Eli

I love her!!!

July 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ¤.¤

Ooh, ooh, write me a part!
    I asked nicely; where's my part?
    I don't look like the Tasmanian Devil, either!

¤.¤

July 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kayla

LOOOOVE her character on GLEE! :) she also seems like such an amazing person in interviews... Such a perfect fit for GLEE – I hope we see her more in season 3!!

July 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ralph

She is a joy to watch. I think she and Jane Lynch steal the show. I really am surprised how the show has grown on me. LOL

July 14, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. Glee Fan

GooberTastic!

July 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. AR

Well aren't you a nasty person.

July 12, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  21. calimama

no, people really like her and tolerate those like you

July 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  22. GoldenAZ

Wake up, Evel...SHE is America now – love me the way I am, or go look at something else...or better yet, kiss my anti-Barbie Doll, anti-mach BS butt...

Oh, and judge not, lest YE be judged...or, are YOU perfect? I love her to pieces...XOXO D-MJ!

July 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. fluffyangel

you must be a sad twisted little person to insult a lady you dont know anything about

July 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. you jerk face

smoke on the HotDog; i bet you're a self loathing and unhappy individual who cannot stand to see other people's success and have to find some negative thing about them.

July 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. GoldenAZ

And you are one ignorant tool...

July 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. wifey for lifey

Wow aren't you ignorant!! Take your bs elsewhere.

July 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |