Stevie Nicks: Betty Ford saved my life
July 11th, 2011

Stevie Nicks: Betty Ford saved my life

After news broke last Friday that former First Lady Betty Ford had died, one of the first statements CNN received was from Stevie Nicks. The legendary Fleetwood Mac singer sent just one succinct sentence: "As far as I'm concerned, Betty Ford saved my life."

An hour or so later, she followed it up with a phone call - made as she was driving to a Vanessa Carlton concert from her home in Malibu. She was talking on a borrowed phone, since she doesn't own one herself.

Here are excerpts from that 10 minute phone conversation:

"As far as I'm concerned, Betty Ford DID save my life. I went to Betty Ford [The Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, California] at the end of 1985 for cocaine addiction. In those days, she would actually come to speak at Betty Ford two or three times a month, so I got to hear her tell the whole story on just the pressure of being in politics, being married to a famous politician and getting addicted to whatever it was she was addicted to.

I thought, 'God, if Betty Ford can come through this, I can come through it, too.' Talk about being famous and being in rehab! 'Oh no, I can't do that, I'm too famous' - well, come on! She was the First Lady of the United States. So that really, really made my need to fix myself even stronger."

"A couple of years ago, I went to Betty Ford to speak and she was there. And I actually got to kind of get down on one knee and talk to her for about five minutes, and she was very, very fragile. And I just looked up at her and I said, 'You've got all these children here for you, and had it not been for you, so many of us would not have gotten well.'

Anyway, she was so lovely, and I don't think she really realized the impact she had on so many lives. Sometimes I don't think truly great people people realize how great they are - and I told her that night. I said, 'If it were not for you, Betty Ford, I would be dead. Absolutely. So all the songs that I have written since I was here, I dedicate to you. All the songs, and all the poems, and the shows and all the amazing things I got to do between 1985 and now is because of you.'"

"Betty Ford was not easy. I call it Betty Ford Boot Camp. And it was not an easy four weeks to go through, and nobody gets any special treatment there. It's hard, but it's kind of brilliant in its hardness. It's kind of what I image it's like to be in the army. There's four dorms, and there's 20 people in each dorm, and everybody has their chores, and everybody keeps that building clean and beautiful, and does dishes, makes coffee, vacuums the carpet - and she just insisted on it. The outside, the grass, the duck pond - that's her facility, and you'd better take care of it.

And it was tough. But two weeks in, you start to think, 'Oh my God, I'm getting better' - because when you first get to Betty Ford, that's basically what they tell you, is that you're dying. And that's not an easy thing to hear."

"I think her family will carry it on, because it's their legacy now. And if I were her children, I would be so proud of her."

"So God bless her, and I hope she's up there with Gerald Ford, looking down on all of us. Her facility is good, and it's working, and it was time for her to go. She was fragile."

"I'll miss her. I didn't know her, but I did get to spend a few minutes with her, and I did get to watch her speak two or three times, so I'm glad that I was able to do that."

1. I'm not 64...

*************

April 8, 2013 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. this hyperlink

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

April 8, 2013 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Billigfluege London Stansted

Gun Be,recover advance experience match top worker responsibility tiny invite exercise cell colour bus disease ready bed assess away event look new approach initiative alternative new inform bank die suddenly desire attempt plus index male fear usually male criticism via success occasion day thus test view expect initial clearly publish our push under minute colour glass absence expect phase promote water pension planning demand volume labour vary branch future youth chief more find gas asset little programme equal cross cabinet information relatively rural display likely positive particular short aspect

March 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. katrina1956

Semms to me that the only "monkee" here is you !!!!!

July 28, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. rita

IN THE 80S MY BOTH DAUGHTERS WENT TO HER CONCERT IN NORTHEAST PA. THEY ARE BOTH DEAD NOW, I STILL REMEMBER THEM TALKING ABOUT THAT CONCERT AND STILL HAVE THEIR TICKET STUBS. ALTHOUGH I AM GREIVING FOR MY GIRLS I STILL REMEMBER THEIR HAPPY FACES AFTER SEEING THIS CONCERT!

July 27, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rose Puckett

Ive decided that most of u idiots who r cutting Stevie down must b crack heads yourselves or alcholics. She survived on her own and with alot of great friends beside her. You must not have friends or a life, why dont u believe in the power of love??? LOVE can do all kinds of great things along side of GOD. GO GET U SOME.

July 27, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rose Puckett

Stevie has such a way about her. There is only one word to describe her (AWSOME). She survived the chaos of the world and still lives on. She loves us as much as we love her. YOU GO GIRL. Love u forever.

July 27, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Walter

The truly only way to be with GOD is to have him in your heart, an Betty Ford and Stevie Nicks know this
    GOD has blessed both of there people like he blessed myself and others and gave us life after we had become dead inside!

July 27, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bronwyn

Too bad they don't have a, "Report stupidity" button.

July 12, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. scott reno

Stevie, thank you for letting CNN know of your admiration for Betty Ford. In 1985, I'm glad that there was a place you could go to get well. Thank you for getting well. And, thank you to Betty Ford... RIP

July 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. charlie crack

@rapre-lol, that's funny!

July 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rapre

Isn't there like a kids table or something for the posters giggling and making farting noises rather than paying attention? Or maybe they could go play outside in the traffic?

July 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rapre

Steve Nicks Rocks! Always has always will. She is one of the few celebrity/artists that gets better with age as she mellows and gains wisdom.

July 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @ Been There

Apparently you are deplorable. C.Crack did nothing nor said anything to you for you to lash out. That my friend is "deplorable" or needing condemnation.

July 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. steve

Did you know that the number of millionaires has exploded in this country in the last two years?

You know why?

BECAUSE they do something most Americans don't do...INVEST.

Google the term "SIMPLE STOCK CASH" and click the very first site. Go right to the penny' stock page to see what the rich do not want you to know.

You will see the money flowing.

July 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. wellington

You know why?

BECAUSE they do something most Americans don't do...INVEST.

You will see the money flowing.

July 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. charlie crack

@been there- eat a d–k!

July 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. charlie crack

@been there- you are an idiot! If you are going to say "facts" give some. Chump! Sponsors don't pay the bill that place costs. You're a dumb @$$

July 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. emily

Yeah. That Steve guy was lucky to score a hot chik like Lindsey Buckingham. I saw Machette over the weekend and that Lindsey dont look bad at all.

July 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ohreally?

Are you really that dumb, Emily, or is it just an act you put on for when you post?

June 25, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  20. old3putt

I'd wager that a lot of these moronic posters are sitting on a porch somewhere waiting for the gov't check to come. Unbelievable. Sad.

July 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Karl E Spizmacher

This is a remarlable lady of this Nation, of the time of need to her husband, family, friends. As the trumph of Adiction of substance issues....

Karl E spitzmacher

July 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Marny

Bill i'm one real chick who really does dig your name,it's very hot today were I live and I just got out of the shower i'm making daiquiris and wish I had some male company even if he has only the one d##klol.

July 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. been there

WAYNE; u r stupid. Apparently just the rich gO to betty ford. U r mistAken
    Lots of people go there on sponsorS. So unless u know don't comment

July 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bill Stodmore

To the family and friends of the former first lady Mrs.Ford my sincere condolences.

July 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. randall

Every one of your opinions on this blog are not only wrong, but ignorant and stupid. "Even mine?" you may ask? YES, especially yours. Yours was by far the worst.

July 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sean

(Chanting)Leave Bill alone! Leave Bill alone!

July 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tyler deeez

Dear Bill Stodmore,

You're lame.

Sincerely,
    The Female Gender

July 11, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BigHands

I truly appreciate the fact that someone who was a big part of my teenage years in a musical sense is still around today. When you stop and compare music–you know, actual singing and playing of instruments–and compare it to what classifies as music today, well, it's no wonder why so many young people would rather listen to classic rock and the recent offerings from Fleetwood Mac and Stevie than to listen to garbage.
    That said, I'm glad Stevie is around to provide a 'bigger picture' view to readers and listeners. Truly, age has brought wisdom where she is concerned and I can only hope she continues to inspire for years to come.
    As for people casting aspersions on Stevie, it's a shame that youth fades but stupidity seems to last forever.

July 11, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bill Stodmore

"Chicks" don't have to think my name's handsome,I said they find me quite attractive even though I only have one d**k.

July 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tyler deeez

Oh no...Mr. Bill. You just got worked fool!! Haahahaha

July 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. wayne

Shut up, Bill. That was just me re-posting as a chick. No chicks think you're name is handsome, and you pee in your own mouth. You are just a bed-wetter. Muhahaha

July 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bill Stodmore

Thank you dear people say that I'm quite attractive.Even though I only have one d**k unlike some of the others that are excitingly posting their comments this afternoon.

July 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  33. sean

DRUUUUUUGGGGGSSSS!!!

July 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  34. sean

I farted. Then wafted it directly upward to my nose. You would have been disgusted. Trust me.

July 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  35. tyler deeeez

Dude...Stevie Nicks was never the First Lady. Never claimed to be, either. I laugh at your opinion. And if I met you, I'd probably laugh at you too. Then, pee on your feet.

July 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sandbar

This is bs. Stevie Nicks was NOT the first lady when Ford was president. She's just trying to promote her new album with lies.

July 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. tyler deeeez

Hey Stevie Nicks...You can go your own way....on DEEEEZ! BAM!! Floppin around on ya chin!!

July 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sandra

Who is Bill Stodmore? That's a handsome sounding name ;)

July 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. sandra

Who is Bill Stodmore. That's a handsome sounding name ;)

July 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  40. wayne

Big wang. Big wang. Big wang. Big wang. Talkin bout the Johnson

July 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bill Stodmore

She had a cool life and those witch dresses were cool on her.

July 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. sean

Do you people look at your toilet paper after you wipe? Bill Stodmore does. Sometimes he takes a quick whiff too. He likes to re-eat the corn, too

July 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sean

What are you bashaleebee? Some sort of where-the- kids-are-at-ologist? Ill bet you drive a windowless van parked on the street. Go get an education, moron!

July 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bill Stodmore

Yea two d*#ks gotta be better than one.

July 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sean

I'd like to cut her doo doo hair down to mustache size and glue it to my upper lip. I'd sniff it quite often throughout the day too.

July 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  46. steve

The comments on here are way better than the article........This stuff is funny and the back and forth insults are classic.

July 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  47. randall

The lowest common denominator? What are you a geologist? Go back to scientist school you idiot.

July 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • amused

I vote your post the funniest one here! I remember back in scientist school with the lesbeans learning about common denominators in geology class, the good old days....

July 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. randall

Yeah. I can't stand Bill Stodmore. Wish he'd quit posting. And his mom wishes he'd quit wetting the bed...YOU STUPID LITTLE BED WETTER.

July 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  49. boocat

I see this article has attracted the lowest common denominator (morons) in this country.......

July 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sean

Like I'd be writing posts about Stevie Nicks if I had two d#cks. What are you....dumb? Sheeesh.

July 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. sean

Bill Stodmore sits indian style and pees in his own mouth.

July 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Bill Stodmore

You got two d**ks?

July 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  53. sean

My Grand Slam Breakfast was supposed to come with sausage :(

July 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jef

Every so often the world is blessed with that rare beautiful selfless yet strong person that truly makes the world a better place in which to live. Betty Ford was one of these people. There are young people right now that are just like her that maybe are too young to know the positive impact they can and will have on others. I encourage the adults in their lives to share Betty Ford's courageous story with them and encourage them to stand up for what they believe is right.

July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. The Måd Råp3r

What's up with everyone saying "you people" in their little moral tirades? You know saying that basically confirms you are a flaming, cross-burning racist right? You can't fight hate with hate. Stevie was awesome in the Eagles though.

July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bill Stodmore

You got two d*;*s dude

July 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  57. HRPufnstuf

Stevie Nix always sounded like she was on drugs, when she was on drugs. Stevie Nix always sounds like she's on drugs, even after she's through with drugs.

I admire her for getting clean. But you know who I admire more?

ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T DRUGS TO BEGIN WITH!

July 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mark B.

I can't believe the trivial nonsense comments here. This is a woman bearing her soul about another woman bearing her soul and purposing to creat a aay to help others bear their souls. NONE of you will ever touch the lnumber of lives these two lionesses did.

July 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. matthew poston

ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER never had to go to any clinic because he always led a clean adn healthy life, although somewhat bloody at times. That said, RIP Mrs. Ford, because if it wasn't for you, we would not have had all of the music produced by Ms. Nicks since 1985.......but we can forgive you for that, based on the many actual good things you have done. DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER WHEN FLEETWOOD MAC USED TO BE THE BEST ENGLISH ELECTRIC BLUES BAND IN THE WORLD?????????

July 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. I left a butt weasel in your vegetable crisper

Stevie used to ride a motorcycle and her nickname was "Hog."

July 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  61. been there

To: Charlie Crack. U are a deplorable human being

July 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  62. OLIVE

This is the single best blog in a long time. The post are tooo funny ! Yall made my Monday GREAT ! WE LOVE YOU ALL ! : )

July 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sebastian Van Goober

Absolutely!! I had lots of laughs and learned a lot of obscure information about Steve and his girlfriend Lindsey, The Grace Slick influece and StarDestroyer etc....

July 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Who Cares?

Stevie Nicks is awesome.
    Lay off.
    "Landslide" is one of the best songs ever!

¤.¤

July 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. been there

U r stupid

July 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  65. JackInNH

Ouch, the ignorance spelled out in these posts is sad. Stevie Nicks is a one of a kind talent, and Betty Ford deserves much praise and thanks for helping so many others. Both of them should inspire us.

July 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. remembering Betty

Betty Ford had the courage to come out publicly and say she was addicted and needed help. She made it possible for so many others to do the same. RIP Betty! Your were a wonderful lady.

And thanks to Stevie for her appreciation.

July 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. rtbrno65

Why does CNN even have these forums anymore? All it is are a bunch of idiots spewing nonsense.

July 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  68. been there

Some of u can't even imagine what it is like to go to betty ford clinic. Ms nicki was simply paying homage
    to the 90000 that have gone through her facility

July 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Sad Reality

Internet discussion forums like this have become useless. Are you happy trolls? You've won.

July 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Gavin Ford

The undisputeable queen of rock. LOVE her!

July 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  71. KinNYC

I can't read these posts anymore. No intelligent life here. Warp speed Mr. Scott.

July 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Demetri Buttnik

And for the rest of you know-it-alls. Grace Slick was the lead singer on the rumors album. Then she quit, Fleetwood Mac imploded and Grace Slick formed Jefferson StarDestroyer.

July 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • AHiredGun

Just what alternative universe do you live in? Slick joined the Airplane in 1966 and helped create Starship in 1974. Rumours was mostly recorded in 1976 and released in 1977. Slick had nothing to do with it or Fleetwood Mac. Next time, try citing a source for your BS.

July 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Melba Toast

That is absolutely true. The Monkees kicked Steve Nicks out because he began sleeping with Peter Tork and Tork was the lover of Michael Nesmith.

I became really messy and almost led to the breakup of one of Americas Best HARD ROCK Bands....THE MONKESS!

July 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mike

It is great that a women would give so much of herself. To help others when lord knows she didn't have to. It says a lot about America and who we are as a society. She was a wonderful example of how big of an impact a first lady can make. She took on real problems and tried to fix them not for politics that's for sure. But she did it. Addiction is a real problem for so many americans. I would guess 90% of us know someone that is a trouble with addiction. She faced it head on and helped not only herself but so many others. God bless her and the united states of america

July 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • hundredthhummingbird

Betty Ford's life and times stands on it's own merit. I knew Betty and she was without a doubt one of the most courageous and humble people I have ever known. And loads of fun just to be around. If you didn,t know , you would never guess that she had been a first lady and connected to people in power. She really loved everybody.

July 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Basturd out of Carolina

And with the rumproast she has there is LOTS to give...and give...and give...

July 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  75. glynyrd

i will be SO glad when Jr. High School starts back this fall

July 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Pam811

OMG you people are horrible. It is Stevie (Stephanie) Nicks. She is a singer, better singer than most of the auto tuned hacks out there. I would rather spend hours listening to a "fat" old lady than 5 minutes listening to Taylor Swift. She was a woman with a drug addiction that get clean and is mourning the loss of a woman who helped thousands do the same. Show some class here folks.

July 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • katrina1956

AGREE with you 100%. Saw Stevie Nicks on 3 different occasions in Pittsburgh, PA over the years. The woman is MESMERIZING !!! You really can't take your eyes off her, & I'm NOT a lesbian. Her voice is still beautiful, the "raspy" Rod Stewart type. And she never needed to perform half-naked to get fans attention! LOVE YOU, STEVIE.............(See, we're not ALL hillbillies in Steeler Country), & we're not ALL country music , either !!

July 28, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  77. charlie crack

That clinic cashes in on addicts. Kinda sad that most are what the little ones look up to as celebrities.

July 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  78. charlie crack

I can't stand her voice. Makes me sick. May be an icon/legend for sure. I just can't stand her.

July 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • gold dust woman

to you and all you other idiots out there calling her steve or saying she was the drummer in fleetwood mac, etc.... thats about how much you know about stevie nicks. she is a very talented, very beautiful, timeless woman. i dont think there will be anyone left after she is gone to be as legendary as her. there are a few still out there w/some singing abilities to make them last a while. but stevie was out when there was still actual music being played w/real instauments. stevies voice was a one and only. you cant make that kind of voice w/ a computer, thats what makes her so great. just like janis joplin, there is no duplicating her either or tina turner....these are real artists. they sang w/there mouths and from their heart and soul. not at all how they do it now! its ashame too. real music is going away and it breaks my heart to see this. if you think she cant sing, thats your opinion, but if she couldnt sing i doubt that she would have gotten to be what she is and continues to be which is beyond amazing. you dont become a living legend if u dont have talent. go back and listen to anything b4 the 80's and youll see what real music is. and if you dont like that, you dont like real music, so SHUT UP!

July 27, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  79. mizh

As usual, infantile remarks from people who will forever be NOBODIES. Stevie Nicks made her mark on the music scene and the world, and will always be more famous and have more money than most of you ignorant losers out there, showing your stupidity.

July 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Chas in Iowa

Betty Ford was quite a woman indeed. But to give her personal credit for all the drug addicts successes at the clinic she made famous is a bit of a reach. You need to remember many celebraties use this as a hangout while the press and the law ease up on prosecusions of these people for legitimate drug offenses that everyday folks automaticlly go to jail for.

July 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  81. zoomhee

Don't know what is wrong with ppl... they had all resources, money, family and they are beautiful still then need somebody to fix their life.... they never had enough...

July 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Wow!

Stevie Nicks should be proud of herself, fighting evil is tough! I love when evil loses! Mrs. Ford, a dear, sweet, and helpful woman! The final trip to Grand Rapids Michigan. R.I.P. Betty. :(

July 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  83. harry

She used to be so hot and if I was tremendously overweight she would still be so hot.

July 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  84. TheScampiCat

Why all the ignorance and haters? Stevie Nicks was/is an extraordinary talent that had to grow up in the white hot spot light of fame, fortune and excess. Who among us wouldn't stumble? Her brilliance lay in the fact she knew she was sick and if she didn't get help she surely would die. Jimi, Janis, Nick Drake, Gram, Sandy, the list is endless of those who couldn't come back from the abyss. The road goes on forever and the party never ends. Really. Be kind. And stay out of tanning booths. Your skin and disposition with thank you.

July 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Weetie

Wow! Lots of mean kids posting here today. Do your mommies know you're playing with the computer?

July 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  86. RAFFEE

SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE UNBELIEVABLE. MRS FORD WAS A VERY GRACIOUS AND KIND WOMAN WHO DID ALOT TO HELP THOSE IN THE SECRET PAIN OF ADDICTION. HER PASSING IS VERY SAD NOT ONLY FOR HER CHILDREN BUT PEOPLE WHO NEEDED HELP AND THANKFULLY GOT IT IN TIME. I STILL REMEMBER WATCHING HER SON STEVEN AT THE FUNERAL FOR PRESIDENT FORD. I AM SURE THIS IS A DOUBLE BLOW FOR HIM AND HIS BROTHER AND SISTER. IN CONCLUSION, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY PLEASE JUST "SHUT UP" AND LET THOSE OF US WHO REMEMBER MRS FORD REMEMBER HER WITH DIGNITY.

July 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  87. John

Geez people! It's lesbian!! Spend some time at school learning grammar before you post!

July 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Alan

from what i have been reading in these post's, a lot of the writer's display a lot of insesnsitivity and a thorough lack of knowledge when it comes to the subject of substance abuse.i saw nothing about stevie's weight or singing ability in the article.the onlty reason i chose to post this is because i to am a recovering substance abuser and have been clean and sober for twelve years now, and i just celebrated my sixtieth birthday!!!! stevie- congrats to you!!!! by the way, stevie is a nickname for stephanie!

July 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • remembing

Congratulations to you too Alan! Good job!!!

July 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • gold dust woman

alan. congratulations on your accomplishment!!!! it takes a lot of courage to get clean and sober and stay that way. i have some many loved ones around me who suffer from addictions. if it werent for me, i know of one (ex-love), that would not be here today if i didnt stay on him about it. we almost killed each other b/c he fought me about it the whole time. he now realizes but still stuggles w/it. i have done all i can do and he is doing better but his liver is weak and i know its just a matter of time. if it werent for me though, he'd be gone years ago. i came "back" into his life at just the right time. i also learned a lot about myself in the process and learned that to have a good time, you dont need to be "on something". i myself was heading down that path many times. addiction runs in my family on both sides, and through helping him, i guess i helped myself. back in the day, gold dust woman, was pretty much a nick name i had given myself. if it was around i wanted it and would do almost anything to get it. i look back now and also realize i am lucky to be alive myself......again, congrats, and may the rest of your days here in this planet be filled w/love, laughter, and light, my friend. blessed be.

July 27, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  89. kenberthaiume

Gerald Ford had nothing to do with the Ford motor co...wasn't related. Stevie Nicks is very talented...some of the comments here are uncalled for and disgusting. Drug addiction is pretty humbling and she is to be congratulated for making it through...as is betty ford for establishing the clinic in the first place.

July 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Russ

Stevie Nicks has been and always will be a beautiful and classy woman. She brings her heart and soul into her music and has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Please keep singing Stevie and I hope you'll never stop. Very proud of you for what you have accomplished and how you survived your demons.

July 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  91. M in Seattle

Got some real low level intelligence posting their "best". If you represent the leaders of tomorrow, stop the world cause I want to get off.

July 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Maxwell

Fans of Stevie's do'nt let these fools upset you,63 most of them won't even make it to thiry or forty 'cause someone will permanently shut those smart mouths up.What am I their just tough while teXting,if you'd ever meet any of these geeks in puplic "they" would really be laying fear t*rds all over the place.

July 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Ron in California

Wow. Lots of folks who don't seem to like Stevie Nicks. I used to think there was nothing worse than an old rock and roller. Now that I'm old, I've changed my mind. I've had the good fortune to see her concert recently, did she get old, a little plump, yes she did. But she put on a good show and left us begging for more. I hope she stays clean and continues to perform.

As for Betty Ford..Great woman.

July 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  94. bunny

wonder why our country is in the shape it is.....giving voice to these mindless, ignorant posters to set in fromt of a screen and spew their vicious venom and hatred.....that is pretty much what all of these CNN comments are...on every article I read...beginning to wonder if there are a dozen or so of the same ones posting to all of the articles...every day...

July 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Beel

Jeez. Why is everyone so PO'd at Stevie Nicks. All she did was publicly pay homage to someone who helped her...The vicious comments say more about the character and spirit of the commentator than they do about Stevie Nicks. Lots of smoke and fire – no heat or light....

July 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Spaceman

Nice sentiments Stevie and very encouraging. Happy I got to see you and Fleetwood Mac once in Europe. The Best.

July 11, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  97. saywhat

landslide still to this day gives me chills, and i am a black guy... so" i will cut a b%^ch for talking smack about stevie "stephanie" nicks

July 11, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

thank goodness we are all different in this world because if i lived my life as hateful and nasty as you, i would not want to go on:)

July 11, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Rider3

Hey, I liked the comment! I can take a joke. Anyway, rest in peace Mrs. Ford.

July 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Ann54

it smells like eggs in here

July 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  99. TridentEye

Stevie huh, she is a beautiful woman....and definitely distinctive one of a kind song-voice, but her singing can't hold a candle to the most beautiful sounding female rock singers in the world:

Tarja Turunen, Simone Simons, Liv Christine come to mind.

July 11, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Bird

wow...... I don't recognize any of the names you mentioned, but I sure do recognize Stevie's name and music. Truly an artist in her time. wonder when the names you mentioned will be recognized by as many people as Stevie Nicks' name..... and for as many years......

July 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • My two cents

Who are those people? Never heard of them. Everyone knows Stevie and her distinct voice and style. It isn't about "best voice or singer." Stevie is in a class of her own with such a unqiue voice and style.

July 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gold Dust Woman

A "has been"????? Where do you people live, under rocks? This woman has been recording for forty years, and will never be a has been.
      I am just so very sure that those of you who say things like that are so very talented. Go back to listening to Britney Spears or whatever you do in your parent's basement.

March 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  100. a fan

II for one am grateful that Stevie cleaned up. It was wonderful to see the reunited Fleetwood Mac in concert in the late 1990s. Sad to read so many rude and obscene comments on here. Ms. Nicks and Mrs. Ford (RIP) deserve better than that.

July 11, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  101. nancheska

Give the woman (and Betty Ford, too) some credit for dealing with addiction problems, and for helping others. I think Stevie's darned talented; you may not agree–that's fine.

July 11, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  102. Lee

Her dope habit did give us Gold Dust Woman...But glad she's been clean all these years...

July 11, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  103. catoc

@ray ray – the word is "has-been" and what have you ever achieved in your life? Nothing in comparison to Stevie Nicks that's for sure, you moron.

@tracie – she is "only" one of the most successful female music artists of all time, google her you ignoramus.

July 11, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • catoc

Excellent reply there "slick"

July 11, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • catoc

elm, you're SO stupid you threw a rock at the ground and missed. Go back into your cave.

July 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

I have to say it again because it always kills when they let kids make stupid comments. You're how old elm? 10? Skid marks. Do you know who she even is?

July 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • GTKelley

This is for those who think it's cool to put down Stevie Nicks with crude viscous attempts at humor ! What have you done significant with your life that can even come close to her. At the rate you seem to be going, you will be dead soon with a smirk on your face and no one will visit your grave or remember your name.

July 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Måd Råp3r

Wow, the blogs certainly jumping with smart people today.

July 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • conrad

Nobody lives forever. There is no way to avoid being a has been.
      Good for her that she was able to do her thing in her time.

I was too young to know her music when she was popular, but I like it now and I'm sure as long as the technology is available there will be people who listen to and enjoy it!

July 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

I'll say a few small things. One, I listened to Fleetwood Mac when they were still together and listened to Stevie after the group broke up.
      She looks a lot better than me and I'm 13 years her junior!
      Glad that she cleaned up. Betty Ford was a class act and helped a LOT of people over the decades.
      RIP Betty Ford.

July 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • StevieStillHottie

Stevie Nicks your still hot..... I remember all the Fleetwood songs and your solo album..... I would still love to see you in your leather and lace anytime or even without them..... :- )

July 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Bob

Stevie, not Steve, is a nickname. Her given name is Stephanie. I've met her and she is a lovely lady! Your ignorance is appalling!

July 11, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  105. JChu

It's a nickname for Stephanie.

July 11, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  106. Debbie

I see you're highly educated, but you must've missed the years they taught spelling.

July 11, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  107. catoc

You could do with a few years in the manners clinic.

July 11, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  108. catoc

... and what makes you qualified to pass judgement on the relevancy of Stevie's music?

Let me guess "ace", you're a music professor? No. Okay you're a music producer? No. Right you must be a multi million dollar music artist then? No. Okay so you're not qualified at all so shut up fool.

As for Stevie's weight, if you look half as good at 63 as she does now then you will be WAY over achieving.

July 11, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  109. catoc

Hope you didn't wear yourself out coming up with that one penny or should that be "einstein".

By the way "eintein", that's sarcasm, look it up but don't hurt yourself "thinking" about it too much....

July 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Playjojo

Yeah, the name "penis" says it all. doodee. Another 10 yr old.

July 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  111. catoc

... and who are you? Stephen Hawking?

You're so stupid you thought a quarter back was a refund.

July 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Arthur

Stevie is a nickname for Stephanie.

July 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Logic

No, 'Ford' is her married name. She was married to Gerald Ford who was not a member of the automaker's family either.

July 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  114. kim

UH NOO!! Gerald Ford was the President of Ford Motor Company. DUH!

July 11, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  115. Kukla Fran and Ollie

Gerald Ford was also one of the primary designers behind the Ford Escort.

July 11, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  116. CSUNikki

"I gotta girls name"...wow Mary, your grammer is horrendous! You might have a "girl's name" but you also have the intelligence of a four year old. Your parent must be proud.

July 11, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  117. Brian

I simple search on wikipedia will tell you that her name is Stephanie Lynn, not "Steve". Fail.

July 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Playjojo

That's it, I can't go down any further. There's nothing but children here. Kids if you want to be taken seriously, you know, like big people, adults, you have to make what you write sound kind of smart. Not doodee jokes, not gay jokes, maybe something mommy and daddy might say (Maybe not yours) like, I don't care for her music. Try it, you get respect.

July 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Arthur

Stevie is a nicknamet for Stephanie.

July 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  120. The Måd Råp3r

@csunikki, Please tell me you were kidding with that spelling of grammar.

July 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  121. boocat

It's Stevie....not Steve....and as long as your questioning names....what about Glenn Close?

July 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Mindie from India

now let's be honest Stevie – it was your MONEY that enabled you to check into the Elite Betty Ford Clinic for Alcohol and Additicion. This is not just any old rehab – it's very very expensive and the ONLY reason Stevie Nicks was able to 'get in' was because of the money she's made – I adore Stevie Nicks and love Fleetwood Mac, but let's be real now... And the ONLY reason there is a Betty Ford Clinic was becasue Betty Ford was an alcoholic and such an embarassment for the Ford Family. To put a positive spin on Betty's adiction, they opened this clinic for elites.

July 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Ron in California

Not sure she is a Lesbain..you may not be aware she was Lindsey Buckingham's girlfriend for years. He was FleetwoosMac's lead Guitarist and vocalist.

July 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Brian

It's spelled "lesbian" and adding "a gay one" is sort of redundant (look it up) since lesbian implies gay.

July 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  125. ladydi

try learning how to spell you idiot.......

July 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  126. nibbles

I can see where those names are confusing. Kinda like Stevie and Eddie Goumet.

July 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Eaton Butts

WRONG! Lindsey Buckingham and John McVie were gay lovers. Thats why Steve Nicks and Chris McVie began dating and they became manLovers also.

July 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  128. jujubeans

don't forget the part about Gerald joining in.

July 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  129. goober

lespotato is also a complicated relationship.

July 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |