July 11th, 2011

'Curb' is back (and everyone's divorced)!

[Editor's Note: Larry David, Susie Essman & Jeff Garlin from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" returned to HBO on Sunday, but first they dropped by “The Joy Behar Show.” Larry discusses a possible return to stand-up as well as a look back at when he once had hair. See the full interview on “The Joy Behar Show” at 10 p.m. ET only on HLN.]

Anyone thinking that Larry and Cheryl David had finally made up at the end of last season was sadly mistaken, as we saw in the opening moments of Tuesday night's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" premiere.

Cheryl turned out to be the one who didn't "respect wood" when it came to leaving glasses on furniture, and when Larry told her to call Julia Louis-Dreyfus to apologize for her coaster-less ways, that was the last straw.

One year later, they were well into divorce proceedings, but Larry was confident with his lawyer (Paul F. Tompkins, the latest in a long line of great actors in bit roles on this show). Little did he know that he wasn't Jewish, as believed, which ended up getting him replaced with another attorney who helped settle a restaurant dispute.

The real trouble started for Larry, though, when a friend's daughter showed up to sell Girl Scout cookies, then promptly announced that she was having her first period. Larry being Larry, he was more than happy to talk her through the whole process when she had problems using a tampon, but her dad, Joe O'Donnell, didn't exactly appreciate it.

When Larry rescinded his "interest" in Girl Scout cookies (not unlike the "interest" he showed in Dodgers tickets from Joe), a team of them went to his house to collect... watch out for that foot in the door!

Larry's new divorce lawyer didn't work out too well either, when Larry learned that Joe's wife took over the Dodgers in their divorce. It was too late for Larry to stop his house from going to Cheryl, so he and Leon are moving out.

Meanwhile, Funkhauser is getting a divorce, thanks to Larry's inspiration as well. The only person not getting divorced is Jeff, in fact.

So, it looks like a time of change for our favorite curmudgeon, and from the promo, it looks like he's headed for trouble in his new neighborhood too. I've got high hopes for seeing Larry in new settings (including New York), but aside from the Girl Scout plotline, it wasn't one of the better episodes. The lawyer plot seemed too similar to stories we've seen in the past on the show.

Regardless of that, eight seasons in, we know what we're getting here, and there are very few "Curb" episodes that I would classify as bad, so there's no doubt I'll continue to watch.

What about you? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. MGF

I love Larry David – such an irritating person, yet, he reminds me of me. He tells it like it is – sometimes he's wrong, but most times he's right. HOWEVER, I have found that three of his episodes which include young girls have made me wince. The season opener, for instance with the tampon thing, was very uncomfortable. Even Larry David should have had the sense to send the girl home when she told him about her period. Another episode last year, with the young girl going to the doctor about her v--a, was very inappropriate, and what Mother would be taking about her daughter's private parts to a man outside of her family?? Another episode years back was when a little girl hugged him in the men's washroom and he had put a cold water bottle down his pants. When she hugged him, it was very obvious she noticed/felt the hard bottle, and she went running to tell her parents. I don't want to even imagine that this young 11 or 12 year old girl knew what she was feeling. Very inappropirate and very unfunny.

I do hope it gets better, because I was definitely not impressed with episode #1 and yesterday's episode #2, wasn't that great either. Hopefully, he'll get to New York soon, where most people he encounters will give him a run for his money.

July 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim Beam

Wow Mohammed, so glad that you enjoyed the show, and have more intelligence than anyone who dares to disagree with your opinion. My apologies for being such an idiot that I cannot appreciate intelligent writing. OR, maybe I do recognize a well-written script, and you are the idiot if you think that was well written. :)

July 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dman

the fight with the girlscout s was great

the tampon thing was excruciatingly awkward

leon assuming he's going with larry is terrific

funkhouse at first mad that larry screwed up his vacation then thrilled he screwed up his marriage was perfect

loved susie's rant

very good episode... not great but a lot of fun...

anyone who pretends to have seen it and says they didn't like it can suck dog whistles

July 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alex

I love this show and am glad it's back.

July 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. San Jose

I love this show! I'm just bummed I don't have HBO anymore. =/

July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Janet Marlette

I thought the 2010 season demonstrated that this show has run it's course. I loved the original series, but trying to bring it back seemed like Larry was only doing it as a platform to argue that the final Seinfeld episode was actually good. It wasn't, and neither was the new season of "Curb." I think his best work on this series is definitely behind him, and I was quite frankly surprised to hear that they are planning to whip the dead horse a little while longer. Time to move on.

July 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jrbb4eva

I have a love/hate relationship with this show. It's makes me laugh but gets old fast. EVERY episode, since season 1, has the exact same story structure. EXACTLY THE SAME. it drives me nuts you can literally call the ending joke within 10 mins of the episode. But I still watch so, go figure.

July 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Seven

I dont have HBO anymore.. Where can I go to watch all the new seasons???

July 12, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. SalseroUno

Welcome back Larry!! I've miss you sooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!

July 12, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mohammed Smith

I am a huge fan of Curb, and although slightly disappointed with the first episode, I still enjoyed it. For those idiots slamming this show, go back to watching your great TV like Jersey Boys and Big Brother. You are all too stupid to enjoy a well written show.

July 12, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. elmagaleano

He tries so freaking hard, it's so obvious~nothing is natural anymore, so contrived! He has turned into such a moronic, and oddly enough, immodest figure, it's sad. The Susie rant~ either they need an improv class or a script! http://bit.ly/o2ydvA

July 12, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. lovely

hate that show as well. Cancel it already

July 12, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. wellington

What are the rich hiding that they won't share.

Find out what we found and it will blow your mind.

Google the term "SIMPLE STOCK CASH" and click the very first site. Go right to the penny' stock page to see what the rich do not want you to know.

It is the turn of the little guy to make a ton of cash.

July 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Barbara

I just watched this episode which we had DVR and LOVED it. I think the new season will be great. I hope he has many more seasons. It never gets old.

July 11, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wow!

I'll go Cletus! Where y'all want to meet? Lol

July 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Cletus

anybody want to go corn shuckin'?

July 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ¤.¤

This show should be kicked to the curb permanently.

¤.¤

July 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Snarky

Can't stand Larry David or this show. It's just annoying I don't get how anybody can stand it. I'm supposed to want to watch Larry David whine about how another Prius driver didn't wave to him for a half hour? No thank you.

July 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stupid Snark

Why are you reading stories and taking the time to respond to an article about a show you hate? I don't go reading articles about True Blood and then commenting about how stupid the show is.

July 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |