How do you solve a problem like Ryan on 'SYTYCD'?
July 8th, 2011

How do you solve a problem like Ryan on 'SYTYCD'?

I'm completely at a loss after Thursday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance."

Once again this week, Ryan delivered a stunning performance, and once again she and her partner Ricky ended up in the bottom three.

I don't agree with the judges that Ricky is the second best male contemporary dancer on the show (that would be Mitchell), but he definitely didn't deserve bottom three status either.

On the other hand, it made sense to put Tadd and Jordan, and Ashley and Chris in the bottom three. Sasha and Alexander certainly have a lot of fans, I'll say that (and I forgot to mention before – what was the point of that tree in their routine?).

I actually really liked all of the routines this week, and Ashley and Chris were no exception (though Chris was a bit too reminiscent of Phillip Chbeeb, down to the music he chose), but it was their time to go.

I fear that Ryan and Ricky may not make the top 10, though, as I predicted in the previous recap. Perhaps it's just a matter of luck of the draw. If they get a great NappyTabs routine, they could be saved.

I'd also like to point out that this season seems to be besting the last one in terms of most tears shed. I didn't think season 7 could be beat.

Finally - what happened to Carmen Electra? And hello, Kim Kardashian. Jordan wants to be your BFF, I think.

What are your thoughts on why Ryan and Ricky can't get votes? Do you think the right people went home? Were Florence and the Machine not the best musical act this season, by far? Share your view below, or better yet iReport it!

1. Tami

I see a definite problem with Ryan being the bottom 3 so often; she should have been taken out of the show a long time ago. She spends a lot of time looking at the audience instead of Ricky. She strikes me as a chorus line dancer; big smile, big lines, solid dancing, but certainly not lead material. That Nigel has blamed Ricky for the failure is disappointing. I feel like the show has lost some of its integrity. The choreography has been lackluster, they've been sending couples home so there's been no new combinations of partners, and the celebrity judges are pretty annoying (except for Debbie Reynolds. That was amazing.)
    Instead of losing myself in the dancing, I find myself feeling nostalgic for the Good Old Days of SYTYCD and wishing that I could be watching Sing Off instead.

July 13, 2011 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Liz

yeah there have been VERY few pieces of choreography where I'm just like WOW... and Carmen Electra was so freaken annoying I'm like "B! Get off the panel!" hahah Travis Wall on panel was amazing. they should put more of the show's choreographers judging. why aren't they, anyway? they used to. they should put that week's inactive choreographers to judge. example: sonya didn't choreograph, she should have judged

July 13, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lea

Frankly, I don't like Ryan. I don't see that she's a better dancer than others and actually tend to notice more her little pauses before preparing for something and things like that than I do with others. I find her facial expressions fake and unbelievable. I'm surprised week after week that she's still there.

July 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marissa

I love Ryan and her quality of dance, but she needs to find a way to appeal to people. She also needs to add more special moments into her solos that are visually striking for the camera (she could take major points from her partner in this regard). Her solos just don't look great on the tv. Maybe that's the luck of the draw with what shots the director chooses, but I think a kickbutt solo would really change some minds. I think seeing someone do good-not-great in solos and getting through because they didn't deserve to be in the bottom kind of turns people off. The audience wants to root for the person who leaves their heart on the dance floor, and though I support her, I don't see her doing that during her dance for your life solos.

And omg yes! These kids are the biggest cry babies ever come elimination night. They're also WEIRDLY affectionate and touchy. Maybe we're only noticing it this season because of the fact that they give post reveal reactions more camera time by putting them in that holding pin, but I thought it was weird seeing Melanie all wrapped up on Mitchell with her legs around his waist just shooting the s–t like it was not a bizarre way to be sitting/standing/straddling. HA

July 10, 2011 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Renato

Quiet frankly Melanie/Marko, sasha/Alexander, Jess/clarice have overall outperformed Ryan/Ricky. The bottom 3 is no surprise

July 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. borgsblueyes

I liked Ryan in the auditions but since the lives shows started she is really annoying me. I think she is the weakest girl left, and is holding Ricky back. I was very dissappointed with how Nigel treated her in the comments on the final 6. All he said was 'we love you, it was a really good routine tonight, step back', then all but blamed Ricky for them being in the bottom too. Its the first time in 8 seasons there seems to be favouritism towards a dancer. As for the Mia Michaels thing, bit odd that they only mentioned it now and never once in the audition process, she certainly got enough air time. Maybe people feel like she has already had a break though and thats not really fair on the others.
    But at the end of the day I honsetly think that the public think she is the weakest dancer and they are not voting for her because of that.

July 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leslie Hodgson

Audience voting to me this year seems as much a reflection on whether they liked the choreographer's routine as much as whether they liked the dancer's performance. Makes me wish they'd go back to a combination of judges' vote AND audience up until the last eight dancer elimination. The new choreographers seem to be taking a while to develope a following and that handicaps the dancer who doesn't draw a familiar choreographer this season.

July 9, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. firefly

I guess it's unfair to judge anyone on their height...but I am so over Jess and his overworked facial expressions! In every judging session, he props his head on his partner's shoulder like a little wimp. He should stand as tall as he can next to her and not come off like a ventiloquist's dummy.

July 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Good call! I can't stand Jess's personality and mannerisms, but you just can't argue that he is incredible in every single performance.

July 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

true that. his expressions annoy me a little but he's a Fabulous dancer

July 13, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michele

I thought Ryan's smiling during her first performances was a disconnect and made her hard to relate to – I think she is working on that as her facial expressions have been more congruent with her dance the last two shows. I read that she grew up with a mom who had no money and could not support Ryan's dance. When Mia Michaels hired her as an assistant, it allowed her to continue to dance. I think people may be envious of Ryan, thinking she's privileged or full of herself, when really, I think she's worked hard to get where she is. i

July 8, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muriel

I disagree. What about other dancers who have just as rough of a life, if not rougher, who don't get picked up by a famous choreographer to assist? She's lucky to have had that training, and in fact, she should be better than what she is for that training. If only everyone was so lucky. AND...she needs to stop crying when she lands in the bottom 3 every time. Suck it up. If you've had such a rough life, being in the bottom 3 on a popular dance show isn't the end of the world, girl. Be grateful for what you've been lucky enough to participate in. Nigel is doing you no favors by keeping you every week...America hates you more every time he saves you.

July 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

I agree with muriel. Plus, Mitchell was homeless and lived in a car, but he's so fresh, optimistic, and incredibly talented regardless.

July 12, 2011 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. sarah S

I don't like Ryan that much either. i think Ricky is an amazing dancer though. i hope Ryan goes next week because i don't want to see any of the other girls go. kinda glad chris and ashley went. i wasn't a fan of them either.

July 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Renato

Ryan in the bottom three makes sense. Melanie/Marko was definitely in no danger. Sasha/Alex had a weak performance but probably got by with their previous strong performance. Jess is a great dancer which I think keeps him and Clarice alive. Ryan is the girl people think should have gone home in the 2nd episode and also has had hit and miss. Touting her work with Mia Michaels and her House appearance didnt help either

July 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Asha

It's because Ryan's face is annoying...mouth especially. Horse face. But her dancing is what's most important and she is one of the weakest out of all the girls this year. I thought their routine this week was awful. Very elementary and she deserved to be in the bottom 3. She should have gone home 2 weeks ago. I hope she goes home next week. Her partner is the only one keeping her alive. Caitlynn and Melanie are far stronger and better dancers and much more pleasant to watch...far more believable dancers than Ryan. I think she tries too hard.

July 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

I agree with everything but your last sentence. how can any dancer try too hard? you've GOT to do your best

July 13, 2011 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Asha

I meant she tries to hard in her facial expressions. A little put on.

July 13, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. tom

ricky is the second best male contemporary dancer, next to Mitchell. I'd put Marko in 3rd. I'm not saying Melanie is holding him up, but their partnership is so strong it helps him, and it also helps that they've been given solid choreography several weeks in a row, and haven't been pushed out of their comfort zone like many of the other dancers. I think they should structure the dance styles so nobody gets an easy ride due to randomness.

I've been a little down on ryan since the beginning. I don't like her makeup or hair choices, especially the lipstick. Her mouth does weird things while she dances that are distracting and turn me off. I think it's her time to go next, but I hope ricky doesn't go down with her... I think alexander should go, and sasha can partner up with ricky.

July 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

correction: no new partnering up since only one more couple should be gone before the all-stars join in

July 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kat

i do not think Ryan and Ricky should have stayed. I dont think Miranda should have gone home the week before either although i did agree with Robert. I really knew they were going to let Chris but wish it had been ricky. i think chris has potential. I did not like their dance on Wed it was like watching a cheesy 80s music video.

July 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PatteE

The problem is that Ryan doesn't connect with the audience. There is just something about her that seems weird. While watching the show on Wednesday and hearing Ryan talk about how close she is with Mia Michaels, I think that that may be what cost her votes. Mia Michaels is really talented by didn't come across as friendly or well liked. That may be what rubbed off on Ryan. She seemed to come across as priviledged in during her segment discussing her relationship with Mia and her role in an episode on House.

July 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

but she also said something about how Mia was the one who coached her after she stopped dancing because she didn't have money for dance classes. to admit that humbles her, in my opinion. but yeah, youre right, she shouldn't have mentioned Mia like you said

July 13, 2011 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. comment

I'm actually not surprised at the results, but it does disappoint me a whole lot because now it makes the elimintion of Miranda (who had top spots potential) a waste. As much as I liked Ashley and Chris, they haven't done quite as well as the other couples, and Chris is actually one of the weakest dancers on the show. If anyone noticed, during the group routine, Chris was off sync from everyone else, and even though he was in the back row, it was still obvious.

July 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. hater

i personally do not like Ryan from earlier bottom 3’s.....last night's solo was better than usual, but the first time she was in the bottom 3, i thought she tanked and Nigel kept her b/c she must be his little pet. his apparent favoritism toward her annoys me and yes, I take it out on her. Then we were recently shown her connection with Mia Michaels…..even more to make me feel like she was being bred for the show and wasn’t just a wonderful talent found hidden among the ranks of dancers in America. Just my opinion, but all things added up….I want her to leave. Iveta should not have been let go so early. (p.s. I <3 Tadd)

July 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jennifer

I find it disturbing that Nigel compliments Ryan and scolds Ricky on behalf of America! Did it ever occur to him that we like Ricky and it's Ryan we can't get behind? It's clear that Mia loves her, that doesn't mean we do. I'm not here to slam her, it's just hard to hear Ricky scolded on behalf of the pair.

July 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sasha

I agree. Ryan SHOULD be making more of an impact on the crowd then she is. Maybe if they lose ricky and put her with someone who appears to make more of an impact... As for Jordan I believe like Kherington Payne from season 6 she is probably in Anton's crosshairs for a future pcd

July 8, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. maegan

Ryan is a love her or hate her dancer and I just think that there is something about her that people don't like. Its a shame that Ricky gets brought down by her because he is truly amazing. At this point, everyone is amazing and it boils down to who America likes and who they do not. Its as simple as that.

July 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Bob

isn't this show over yet?

July 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |