Two return to 'Law & Order: SVU'
July 7th, 2011

Two return to 'Law & Order: SVU'

As Christopher Meloni leaves his long-standing role on "Law & Order: SVU," two fan favorites are heading back to the show.

Stephanie March and Diane Neal will reprise their roles as ADA Alexandra Cabot and ADA Casey Novak, respectively, on the show, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The pair will appear for an undetermined number of episodes this fall.

"L&O: SVU" is the only remaining series in the "Law & Order" franchise.  March was previously on the show for seven seasons and was replaced by Neal, who appeared on the series for six seasons.

Filed under: television

1. Angie

This will surely NOT work. How can you ever replace a character as strong as Christopher's Stabler? And aside from the character, the chemistry he and Mariska's Benson shared is irreplaceable!! I'm afraid this replacement is doomed to fail and we are seeing the last of the great L&O shows. I'm sad about this. If they hadn't brought in Jeff Goldblum(even though I LOVE him) to Criminal Intent, that show might still be around. You'd think they'd learn their lesson about trying to replace greatness. Vincent couldn't be replaced and neither can Christopher.

July 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Josh Noloc

It's about time!!!

July 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brian

Casey Novak was suspended for one year about two seasons ago and actually appeared in one episode last season trying to claw her way back up the ladder again. Alex Cabot returned for a short time after Casey was suspended but she left to go work for immigration rights or something.

July 8, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cletus

I loves me some Diane Neal

July 8, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Christa

SM's character came back from Witness Protection a while ago, but I was under the impression that the Casey Novak character got disbarred.

July 8, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Boof

Is this show still on? I prefer Criminal Minds for my weekly pervert/serial murderer story.

July 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. RIA

This show is my LIFE I'm in love with stabeler!! :(

July 8, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. alecia

With a role as intense and subject matter that sensitive to deal with week after week, I'm impressed that they have all lasted this long. But yes Stabler will be missed. I do hope Richard Belzer is on til the end. I've been watching John Munsch since Homicide: Life on the Streets.

July 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sae

i love christopher meloni.....this is SVU's last season....no one can replace det. stabler.

July 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Baysidegal

Say it isn't so. No one can take Chris Meloni's place!

July 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sarah S

Im gonna miss decetive Stabler. i love his character.

July 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck

How much is "enough money" to make him stay? Teachers are getting salary cuts every day, but he still doesn't make enough money? Sorry, I really like this show and his character, but at some point, you need to realize in these times, you are lucky to have a great job! I've seen times when I've had to say "don't give me a raise at the same time you're firing someone else", and I think people lie Christopher Melon are making plenty.

July 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Destiny Twiggs

Man, I'm mad Detective stabler is leaving soon. That is bull. I love his personality on screen. It is so unique. I hope the find someone just as Great as Christoper Meloni !! Who agrees

July 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • guiltridden

I agree. It will not seem like the same show without him.
      I don't understand how they are bringing the Alexandra Cabot character back. I thought she was in witness protection.

July 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • upstateny

I agree, it won't be the same without Stabler. I don't know if they could get anyone to replace him. It's kind of like Ashton Kutchner taking the place of Charlie Sheen. I love Ashton Kutchner but not sure that the show will be the same without Charlie Sheen. Sometimes TV shows can replace characters but on the other side of the coin sometimes you just can't. I also read somewhere where Mariska Haritay will be cutting back on her schedule as well so the way I see it is that with Stabler gone and Benson only working part time...I see doomsday for one of my favorite shows....I loved everyone that made that show what it is (was).

July 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • upstateny

As I posted in my comment....sometimes characters can not be replaced. I tried to point out that as much as I love Ashton Kutchner...I just don't think Charlie Sheen's character can be replaced. SVU is one of my favorite shows ... I think I need to get a life because I will watch re-run, after re-run of those shows. I didn't care for the show when Benson was not on. Stabler/Benson and the supporting actors made the show what it was/is.

July 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |