The Throwback: 'Anne of Green Gables'
July 7th, 2011

The Throwback: 'Anne of Green Gables'

Catherine is a kindred spirit!

When I took a look at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Canadian travel itinerary, I was surprised to learn the newlyweds were forgoing major cities like Toronto, yet were stopping by Prince Edward Island. Not that anyone wouldn't be lucky to set foot on the tiny, gorgeous island famous for its red earth, beaches, and seafood - particularly P.E.I. mussels.

But when I learned that the book "Anne of Green Gables," set in P.E.I., was a childhood favorite of Catherine's, it all made sense.

As for the kindred spirit part, Anne fans will remember that our heroine longed to meet a "kindred spirit" (otherwise known as a "bosom friend"). She eventually found one in Diana Barry (otherwise known as Diana of the Lake of Shining Waters).

On Monday, day five of the royal tour, the duchess was presented with a copy of the Lucy Maud Montgomery novel by actress Tess Benger, who currently plays Anne Shirley in the P.E.I. production of "Anne of Green Gables: The Musical."

The duchess and I certainly aren't the only ones enamored with the tale of the charming orphan girl with the colossal imagination who, following a serendipitous mix-up, was taken in by aging spinster Marilla Cuthbert and her "old bachelor" brother, Matthew. Heck, there's even a Japanese Anime series based on Anne! (And for those not familiar with the story, an anime Anne is akin to creating an anime "Little House on the Prairie," as "Anne of Green Gables" takes place in the late 1870s.)

But all this talk of that "Anne-girl" (Aunt Josephine's loving nickname) has me reminiscing about the film. Yes, I will admit it: I love the movie more than I love the book. How un-Anne of me, wordsmith that the title character was!

It may have something to do with the fact that I saw the made-for-TV movie first, but I devoured the Kevin Sullivan produced and directed Canadian Broadcasting Corporation presentation when it aired in the U.S. on PBS in the 1980s. I drank it in like Diana Barry drank the currant wine she mistook for raspberry cordial.

While Montgomery's book is wonderful (and in the public domain, if you're so inclined to download it via Amazon Kindle), the performances of Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth cannot be topped in my book (pun intended).

Follows' facial expressions - and legendary fits when people made fun of her "carrot" red hair - were priceless. I'll also never forget the scene where a nervous Matthew mumbled and stumbled at the general store, purchasing 20 pounds of brown sugar and a garden rake in the dead of winter, all the while working up the courage to buy the dress in the window for Anne, who longed to attend the Christmas ball in puffed sleeves.

When a dear relative (Canadian, no less, and a true kindred spirit!) mailed me a DVD copy of the series for Christmas, I was in Anne (with an "e") heaven. Watching the movie all over again was like visiting an old (bosom) friend.

What about you? Did you read the book and/or see the movie? If so, which do you prefer? What are your most cherished "Anne" memories, scenes, and quotations?

Post by:
Filed under: Books

1. Greenanne

I only read the book,you see I am a Chinese,it is difficulty for me to read and listen in English.
    But I really love this book and I wish I would have chance to go the the Princess Edward Island someday. That is a place for a man who must go.
    my Chinese blog about Anne of Green Gables: http://greenanne.blog.163.com/

July 14, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tina Lannes Loflin

Dear Catherine, Everyone,
    I have read the books and seen the movies–and I have to agree with you–the movies have a magic to them that cannot be denied. Megan Follows is luminous as Anne, Collen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth were wonderful as Marilla and Matthew...and oh, how my heart broke when Matthew died...I still cannot watch that scene without bawling my eyes out. Matthew's shy tenderness toward Anne takes my heart and warms it. I wish all men had that shy, genuine affection, or at least the brightness of what Mr . Farnsworth portrayed
    I was so sad to hear of the deaths of both Ms. Dewhurst and Mr. Farnsworth. They marked me in a way that will be in my heart forever...as will that production of "Anne of Green Gables."
    Peace and joy to you, Catherine, and wonder always.
    Tina

July 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ems

I read the book and saw the movie, but for some reason, I never really cared for either. I do appreciate the book as classic lit, though. :)

July 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PEI

I was born and raised on PEI and have lived here all my life. There is no place that is friendlier and more beautiful, in my opinion. Anne of Green Gables is as much PEI as PEI is Anne of Green Gables. If you ever get the opportunity to come visit PEI, do so. You will not be disappointed. Anne of Green Gables and Anne and Gilbert are two plays that are a must see while you are here. Brilliant!!!

July 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Geri

I first watched "Anne of Green Gables" with my children and the three of us "fell in love" with Anne, Marilla, Matthew, etc. We taped the series from our PBS station on a VHS tape and watched them over and over. Everyone, no matter what age, should watch this series....it's simply brilliant!

July 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pgearle

Loved that perfectly cast series...if you ever have the chance to go to PEI, GO! It is beautiful.

July 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SouthTx

I was watching "Anne of Green Gables" (AGAIN!) one winter afternoon while my husband and his biker buddies worked in the garage. All big, hairy, tattooed "tough guys". One by one, they came into the living room and started to watch. During the scene when Matthew passed, there was more than one big tough guy "coughing". LOL! Ending up making a marathon of it...they HAD to see "Anne of Avonlea"!

July 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mariel

Oh how I love Anne .. with an "e"! One of my favorite stories/movies of all time. Love when she dies her hair green – CARROTS!!!

July 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alex

Huge fan of the Megan Follows mini-series trilogy (even the third one which took the controversial step of being an original story). I also greatly enjoyed the audio books Megan recorded of several of the original novels. I keep hoping they'll turn up again on CD. I'm not a fan of downloading, but I'd make an exception for these.

July 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AmyinOaktown

Anne (with an e) of Green Gables series is on now on PBS where I live!! I just watched episode 2...have seen it many times, but never gets old! Beautiful scenery and great story!

July 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fleurdesol

I saw the movies, and I own them, love them and will hope my children will enjoy them as much as I did!

July 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. r

One of the most beautifully thought out television series based on the written stories.

July 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Helen

I looooooved the movie and the book growing up. And I love that you wrote about it here!

July 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Heather

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tv series. So much so that I had a hard time getting into the books. After watching the series I have longed to go to P.E.I. and I will finally get my chance in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see the island and visit the places mentioned in the series.

July 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jade

LOVE this movie! Its one of my all time favorites!

July 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AnneFan

My siblings and I discovered "Anne of Green Gables" on television before the books. We loved it and couldn't wait for the following episode to show. THe music, the characters, the acting was just perfect. I wanted to fall in love and marry someone just like Giblert Blythe who only had eyes for Anne. I laughed and cried and to this day still think very fondly of those times when we would stayed glued to the tv. When I found the books, I fell even more in love and devoured all L.M. Montgomery's "Anne" series. It was jsuch a wonderful period in my love. Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorite books next to "Little Women" and "The Secret Garden." I hope my girls will love come to love "Anne Shirley" as well.

July 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Elina

Anne made me fall in love with Prince Edward Island (I've never been). I want to get married there. I want to have a home there. The stories of friendship, love, family and growing up are always engrained in me. Anne is one of the greatest stories in the world. It's so touching, this Valentine's Day I got a flowers sent to the office from my "Gilbert" to "Anne". I would pick Prince Edward Island any day over Toronto (I've been htere before) and not because Toronto is bad, it's quite beautiful but the simply fairytale of romance and utter beauty in life, it's all there.

July 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. dana

the movie was timeless and classic....one of my favorites as a kid, and our library has it to rent now so if i ever have the impulse to relax with a movie on a rainy afternoon....that's definitely my go-to choice.

and i agree with everyone else too....gilbert was so dreamy :-)

July 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Arch Stanton

I heard/read somewhere that Mark Twain declared Anne to be the most important adolescent character in literature, apparently even over and above his own Hick Finn and Tom Sawyer. Can anybody corroborate this?

July 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Minoa

Soon after Anne of Green Gables was published, and only about a year before Samuel Clemens died in 1910 at age 74, he did write to L. M. Montgomery to say that Anne Shirley is the “most lovable child in fiction since the immortal Alice.” That was a very kind thing for Clemens to write, but hardly the declaration that you suggest. Let’s not get carried away, people.

July 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NOW

It was the girliest thing I did when I was a girl. The movies were definitely my faves and Megan Follows was my hero. Anne on stage would be wonderful to see. The books transported me but I was completely entranced by the PBS series. Watching Anne grow up before my eyes was a religious experience.

July 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Canadian Man

Saw the series in the 80s when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have been able to admit to my friends back then being a metal head that I like Anne of Green Gables. I bought the VHS years later and watched them many times. I'm from New Brunswick and since part of the series is set in my province, it makes it even more special. Whenever you are facing challenges and feel like you want to give up, this is something that will teach you that even through tough times, you can still have the courage to go on.

July 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Erin

I LOVED the "Anne of Green Gables" books and the movie with Megan Follows as Anne with an "e." I had the entire series and read them to pieces — I was immediately in love with Anne and her imagination, and of course, I just *ADORED* Gilbrt Blythe!

I loved the movie, too ... Megan Follows was *perfect* as Anne.

I wish the subsequent ones had followed the books a bit more closely ... and like others have said, why couldn't they have made "Anne's House of Dreams" and "Rilla of Ingleside" as miniseries? I'd love to see both!

July 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Molly

Movie over books, for sure (and as an English teacher, I never feel this way). I grew up on Sullivan's productions as a child. I remember how disappointed I was when I read the book (so I stopped with the first one); you are correct – it just doesn't compare to Follows' performance. Whenever someone was sick the family would gather around the TV and mom would pop the tape in the VCR. I told my college admissions counselor she reminded me of Diana Berry and must be a kindred spirit. When I got The Continuing Story on DVD (in college), I made raspberry cordial and a girlfriend and I curled up to watch it. We, too, long to take a trip to PEI. Catherine's love for this classic makes her all the more charming.

July 8, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mary Wrigley

Excellent summary of the "feelings" that pour from the performances of the movie participants. ABSOLUTELY LOVE the story. 3rd installment too violent for me with war angle, but the endings wrap the story lines of Movie 1 and 2 beautifully. A CLASSIC of CLASSICS.

July 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  25. chet

I'm a 42-year old man and I've read most of the series–now working on "Anne's House of Dreams." I sound like an unlikely reader, but the reason is I read the books with my 9-old daughter at night before bed. My daughter loves the plots and I think Ms. Montgomerie's writing, particularly her diction and ability to "paint" a picture with words, is brilliant. Most importantly, though, it is something special just the two of us share. My wife reads other books with her, but Anne is ours alone, almost like our own little inside joke. It is part of an amazing bond between us that will endure.

July 8, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. Charity

I adore Anne Shirley and all of her adventures. I first saw the series on the disney channel. It was something that I watched with my cousin and holds many special memories for us. Years later I read the books and loved them also. It would be hard for me to pick my favorite Anne memory as there are soooo many of them. I really wish they would make a new series (using Megan Follows of course) of their life after Anne and Gilbert get married...the story of their children.

July 8, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. jennygirl

I've been to PEI multiple times and LOVED seeing Anne of Green Gables on the stage! Such a great story and an amazing place to visit. It's beautiful and the people are so friendly! Would love to go back again!

July 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  28. Nicole

I love Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea! You are now making me want to go home and watch them again. Thank you for writing something about them. Mine were borrowed for a long time and when I got them back, I had to sit down and watch both movies. They never get old.

July 8, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jill

I certainly hope this article will help introduce Anne to a whole new generation. My mom bought me these books when I was very young, and I have read them a million times over. Because of Anne, I have been searching for 'kindred spirits' my entire life.

July 8, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  30. sasha

I too loved the movie series (first and second but no so much the third). The rasberry cordial scene was a old fave of mine, as well as trying to dye her hair black and when the boat sank while she was trying to recreate the lady of shalot. My great grandmother introduced me to the series when I was around 10 years old and I have loved them ever since. And now every time I see Megan Follows in something I always see little Anne with an e

July 8, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  31. Connie

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!!!!!! My favorite part in the movie was when she broke her slate on Gilberts head for pulling her hair and calling her carrot. I'm cracking up as I write this! My daughter is 14 yrs old now, and when she was 11 or 12 we had ordered ALL the Green Galbes Trilogogy on Netflix and had an Anne of Green Gables Mommy/daughter weekend. It was the best and my daughter fell in love with the story as I did!

A true classic and I will now re order these movie to watch ALL over again! Thanks for the memories!

July 8, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  32. John

I'm a 28 year old male, and these movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. I grew up with three sisters and used to watch this with them all the time (while pretending to play with my action figures of course). :P

I liked these and the Chronicles of Narnia on PBS (remember that?).

July 8, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  33. Erica

I love this article almost as much as I love these books and movies! I too am such a big fan of the movies. The third one was a little weird for me, but Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea were big parts of my childhood watching the old Disney Channel. I even watched Road to Avonlea! I have wanted to go to PEI for the longest time. They have really awesome festivals and have really embraced the whole entire Avonlea series of books.

July 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. Carrie T.

My absolute favorite movie of all time!!

July 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  35. Beth

As a carrot-top myself, I immediately identified with Anne and her wild imagination. I watched the series first and fell in love with all of the characters. I have read the first book, but the series is what I immediately think of when I hear the name.

July 8, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  36. Heather

Love the books. I read them as a young teen along with the Emily books. The first two movies are excellent though they do veer from the story line. The costuming is amazing and the scenery took me right back to our Atlantic Canadian village. Decades later, the movie does not feel dated from the 80's. The third movie is awful and should be banished!

My now young teen daughter was just introduced to the movies and soaked them up. We live in the states now, but she was born in Nova Scotia which is where Anne was born and she loved that. Then she found the Emily of New Moon episodes on Netflix. Emily is darker than Anne and more autobiographical to LMM. We watched all they had available. I'll have to tell her about the Anne anime though, she's a big anime fan.

As an interesting note – We are considering adopting a baby girl and Marilla is one of the names we seriously considered for her!

July 8, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  37. Tanisha

Wow this brings me back. I LOVED the books and the movies. On my way to Amazon.com right now to get my hands on them again. Hopefully my daughter will love them as much as i did.

July 8, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  38. char

My daughter received the box set from her Grandmother and her and I stayed up all night watching it. Truly a wonderful performance by all and such a wonderful story. Brings back such wonderful memories of our movie watching times together. She's a mom now as well so the tradition continues. I think a sleepover is in order!

July 8, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  39. Cass

I LOVE "Anne of Green Gables" so very much. The character and the book series shaped so much of who I am today. I've read the books about eight times each and have seen the movies countless times. I even named my daughter after two L.M. Montgomery characters (including Anne). She already loves the animated Anne series. It's a shame that Kevin Sullivan felt he had to make a movie that used the characters but didn't follow the books. I would love to see that remedied by a "Rilla of Ingleside" movie!

July 8, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  40. tdjs

I've only read the books – the full series one right after the other. OK – more than once. Loved the whole series! Now I'm inspired to watch the movie(s).

July 8, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  41. Aileen

Saw the CBC version in America on the PBS show Wonderworks and fell in love (My Dad, in his 70s, to this day, still calls me up to let me know when its being re-run). I still bawl when Matthew dies in the field. Read the books for the first time in College–Loved them. My daughter who is now 9 (whose middle name is Anne, with an "E" even though the relative she is named after doesn't have an "E") watched the movie for the first time last year has fallen in love with the story. I have DVD copies, VHS copies and it is now saved on my DVR. Props to Mr. Sullivan to be able to take a great book and make the movie just as wonderful!

July 8, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  42. Melinda

My daughters, who are anow 25 and 28, love everything about the book, the movie, and the series. And it was something that we shared and enjoyed together as we watched over and over – there were never enough reruns. Some of our fondest memories! Thanks for reminding me.

July 8, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  43. Carly

I'm one of those people that has to read the book first and am usually disappointed by the movie, but this one is an exception. When I'm sick, this is my go-to movie and Megan Follows embodied the character of Anne so perfectly. I can't wait to introduce my nieces to this when they are a little older.

July 8, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  44. Bette St G

I too had an autographed copy which my parents purchesed for me on my one childhood vacation to P.E.I to visit family. Absolutely loved that book which was lost by a friend who had borrowed it.. I have since purchased the paperback set and the set of DVD's starring Megan Follows. I am sharing both now with my 9 yr old grandaughter who is also a "kindred spirit".

July 8, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  45. BTK

I LOVED the story of Anne of Green Gables. Canadian author LM Montgomery and artists Kevin Sullivan and Megan Follows and all the others involved in the TV miniseries did a beautiful job bringing the story to the world. Canada's art is often over looked, and I'm not sure why. I'm very grateful for it, though!

July 8, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  46. Bigsunset1967

There is a great web site created by Sulivan productions that has all the books and dvd's and other treasures available. As I know some of you maybe searching for the Anne Movies or books. I am also a fan of the Road to Avonlea series as well. http://shopatsullivan.com/

July 8, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  47. JoeJoe9

My Great Grandmother was related to and used to play with Montgomery as a child. She always remembered how different Lucy Montgomery was from other kids, especially how Montgomery longed to know what was hidden in the blue chest at their house.
    Megan Follows did such an awesome job acting in the movies, that no play I've seen to date even comes close to her brilliant performance. She truly gave Anne a bigger personality than even the book did.

July 8, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  48. Amy

I loved the first 2 Anne movies with Megan Folllows. I didn't like the much later 3rd installment that took place during WWI. Megan Follows looked so old in the 3rd one. I wanted to see much more romance with Gil and interaction with Diana- who was barely even in the 3rd one.

July 8, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Erica

I agree! The third movie seems really out of place and it did take them forever to make it! I usually just forget that one exists anyway when I have a marathon.

July 8, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  49. LTS

My sister tricked us to watching the movies at first. After fighting it at first, it
    immediately found a place in all of our hearts. It came at a time when my family and my cousins family were able to reunite after they moved away for a bit. I have loved the movies and the books equally. I even won some college flex dollars on a bet because a friend didn't believe I was a big Anne fan. I showed her my movies and books and soundtrack :0) I do prefer how Matthew dies in the movie rather than how the book does it. I plan to take my wife and kids there on a vacation. Can't beat a story of friendship, fun and triumph.

July 8, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  50. Donna

I had a wonderful young man that worked for me who taught me all over again how to play the "glad game" when things were not going the way I would have liked. The story has many lessons to teach.

July 8, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  51. Debbie

Oops......I have that wrong...she said, "I just want you". Love it.

July 8, 2011 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  52. Debbie

Thank you Patrick for softening the harshness of that post "ridden with rare and fatal cancers". Sounds just like the sour and joy spoiler character Rachel from the series and the movie. I watched Anne for the first time, video taped it and watched it with my dauighter when she was 4 or 5 some 10 years later. I then bought the book series and read these to her at bedtime each night, a chapter at a time so the story would llinger. I named my daugher Katherine without the smug C.

My MOST favorite line of the whole movie was near the end of the 2nd movie when Gil has gotten better from his near fatal health scare and he and Anne meet on a briidge. He asks her something like, "And you Anne, what do you want?" and she simply says, "All I want is you." I waited for years to be able to say that to someone and mean it....and I have.

July 8, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  53. Bawss

I'm a 35 year old man and I adore Anne of Green Gables! I read the book prior to seeing the movie.

2 years ago I visited PEI while on vacation in New Brunswick and the island sure is charming. The seafood is fantastic and the Anne productions are top notch.

My favorite part of the book is when Matthew Cuthbert goes into town to buy dress material and comes home with a rake and sugar!

July 8, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  54. Helen

My daughters loved the series! We watched it weekly when it was first on. We all were so into the characters and the story. They also read the book. THen our big awaited trip!! We went to PEI and fell in love witht he area dn the story all over again. When ever I came home from work (even when the girls were in high school) They would be watching the video and doing homework. They wore out the video and we had to by the DVD. My yougest daughter still watches it and she is married. I am sure her children will also be exposed to it!!!. Megan Fellows just made you fall in love with Anne!!! PEI was one of the most beautiful areas we have visited!!!

July 8, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  55. Patrick

Just to clarify a couple of things...

PEI is NOT ridden with "rare and fatal" cancers, no more so than any other locale...pesticide use is a concern among many but we're hardly Love Canal....the seal hunt does not consist of harvesters "beating" cubs to death, it's a quick blow with a pick, instant...

PS: We don't care all that much about Anne, it's really just for the tourists

July 8, 2011 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  56. Summer

I love Anne of Green Gables and longed to visit PEI, until I learned about the Canadian Seal Hunt. Then I vowed not to visit Canada until those club swinging monsters were put out of business. I cannot support a country that allows any animal to be beaten to death for a $20 skin.

While I love Anne, Kate is most definitely not a kindred spirit.

July 8, 2011 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  57. Ron

One of the most boring, vapid, chatty, empty-headed, coma-inducing books of all-time.

July 8, 2011 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

If that's true, then you are truly the Anne of Green Gables of commenters, Ron.

July 8, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  58. Alittlefaith

Loved the books and the series, both equally – which is odd for me as I'm normally a book person. But the production was fantastic, both in the casting and the cinematography. I wanted to go to PEI for the longest time as a kid!! Not to mention that my name is Ann (without an "e" however) and I have red hair! So I completely related to her in that sense. I always thought she was way cooler though, heh heh! Haven't seen the show in forever, but after reading this I'm thinking I should buy the DVD! I have the VHS of all things... Can't wait to introduce my baby girl to the other redheaded Anne when she's older!

July 8, 2011 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  59. chris

I kind of wanted anne to marry the rich guy and not gilbert though.....

July 8, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  60. N

The Anne books are my very favorites and I make a point to re-read them as often as possible! My favorite is Anne's House of Dreams because, let's face it, Cornelia Bryant is one of the greatest characters ever written. :)

The movies, however, are equally as charming. I used to watch them with my mom and sister and we would laugh at Anne and her awkward / endearing mistakes. My very favorite scene is when the mouse drowns in the plum pudding sauce and Anne finally has the courage to tell Marilla right as Miss Stacey is about to eat it. Hilarious!!

Its so refreshing to see that there are so many kindred spirits out there who love Anne as much as I do :)

July 8, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  61. Melissa

I remember having to wait each night for the movies and so happy when she married gill. the story of the carrot-hair Anne is one of my favorites and I love the books too.

July 8, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  62. Emily

This posting made me smile for so many reasons! When I noticed that William and Kate were heading to PEI, my imagination only went to Anne with an e. She was such a huge part of my childhood, through the series, and not so much the books. I still quote so many lines from the mini-series (Anne...Shirley...has a very....bad....te-m-puuur....), but my biggest memory is of Gilbert Blythe. I, too, still have a crush on him. He is in the same territory as Jake Ryan.

Thank you for taking me down memory lane! I don't think I will dust of my VHS copies, so I'm ordering some DVDs from Amazon tomorrow :)

July 8, 2011 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  63. Lise

I grew up reading the books, and LOVED the first two movies. The third - not so much. It was Anne and Gilbert's children who were active in WWI. Her son Jem was a P.O.W. Her daughters, Nan and Diana, were VADs and her son Walter died. Kevin Sullivan should have made "Anne's House of Dreams" instead - it is the best of the series.

July 8, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  64. Dorothy

I remember being about 7 or 8 years old when this was on PBS, and from the beginning I was enchanted and it has always been one of my favorite movies. Reading the books is on my list of things to do, but I think when I read them I will have the movie characters in my head. They're old friends that I have pulled out and watched several times a year from 8yo on. As I have gotten older, I have upgraded from vhs taped on tv to the boxed vhs to the dvds to the point now where when I'm done commenting I'm going to see if Green Gables and Avonlea are available on Blu Ray... I LOVE these movies, and my family knows not to disturb me when I pull them out for a trip down memory lane :)

July 8, 2011 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  65. carole

I bought all of the videos when they came out. I loved the books and the movies. I still watch them. I smiled just reading this article. Going to PEI is on my bucket list! Thank you, Catherine, for being a kindred spirit and reminding me to move it up the list!

July 8, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  66. cynthia2121

I absolutely love the movies I own all 3 and can watch them over and over again.

July 8, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  67. Kellee831

I could not agree with you more. Megan Follows absolutely perfect as Anne-girl. BYUTV is currently playing the series and I've been enjoying a dose of Anne and Gilbert every day.

July 8, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  68. Lynne Harris

I read the book with my 14 and12 year old daughters just this year ... and it was the first time I had read it too. We all loved it. We all laughed at Anne's antics, and sobbed when Matthew died. We saw the movie, and although we enjoyed it, we treasure the book more.

July 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Rosie

This post just makes me smile! So many kindred spirits! Anne Shirley inspires me to live each day with rose colored glasses. LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL! Blessings to all of you!

July 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jamie k

Saw the movies on the disney channel in the late 1980's. Fell in love at first sight. The books are great too, but the cast of the movies was perfect. The movies will always be my favorite. I think my favorite scene is where the girls are play acting that poem and Anne's boat sinks and Gilbert rescues her. :)

July 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Pam

My daughter and I read the books and watched the PBS many times. It crosses generations we loved them both. Megan fellows is wonderful .

July 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Amanda

Funny I run across this article today. I just unpacked from an old box and re-packed into my hope chest every LMM book published. I fell in love with Anne, Gilbert, and all the other characters when I was a pre-teen. My copy of Anne of the Island has completely come unglued I have read it so many times. I can't wait to introduce Anne to my 10 year old neice. Of course it is a dream of mine to visit PEI one day.

July 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Linda R.

When I was 11, my Mother's best friend was sick with MS. Mrs. Wagner gave my Mom her LM Montgomer books that she had as a little girl for me... since she had no daughters. Mrs Wagner said to my Mom...."She is a kindred spirit." I read them all that summer and discussed the stories everyday with Mrs. Wagner until she was too sick to have visitors.

I still have those books and have been reading them with my daughter this summer.

Loved both series. Megan Fellows brought Anne to life for me and Colleen Dewhurst was wonderful as Miranda.

P.E.I. is on my vaction list.

Favorite quote....."Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes."

July 7, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Bina

I adored the books as a young girl, but even as an avid reader...I too love the movies because they do such justice to the written pages. I love the passion with which Megan channels Anne...and I would chose them over the books anytime.

July 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Anais

The series of books is wonderful, wonderful. The annotated version will show the reader how the first book especially has such a rich literary background. I highly recommend reading the whole series before watching the movies, which are fine, but are not as in-depth as the books. Thank you, Lucy Montgomery, for your scope of imagination!

July 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Nikki

Oh wow! After all these years, I thought for sure that hardly anyone else had even watched the movie or read the books! I adored the stories! Use to act out the movie with my stuffed animals!

July 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Beth

I saw it the first time at age 10 and my sister was 12. I always love when Marilla discovers she had tried to dye her hair "raven black" and its green!I wish I had a girl to share it with her.

July 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  78. miss jones

The whole Anne of Green Gables series (and the rest of her books) were my favorite as a teen..I love the books over the movie but I still enjoyed the movie seeing the characters put the plot in action

July 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Anonymous

Love both the books and the movies.

July 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. JenwithaJ

I listen to Anne's Theme by Hagood Hardy, purchased on iTunes (it's authentic!) when I need to be transported to PEI at the turn of the last century. I also have the VHS version of the series and need to upgrade. Deleted scenes?! If her eldest son fought in WWI, I'd think she was a girl in the 1880s (when my house was built!) We must all just pretend that the "Continuing Story" never happened. I go to Maine on vacation and pretend it's PEI (also on my bucket list). I realize that my husband is a kindred spirit of Gilbert and why I must've been attracted to him. I have also made raspberry cordial with my daughter, middle name, you guessed it, Anne. Thanks to all you kindred spirits for a few minutes of camaraderie! Off to look up this Emily of New Moon series!

July 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Anna

My mother, sister, aunt and cousin would re-watch the Anne movies once every summer. We would stay up late into the night weeping and laughing. To this day we still love the movie and when it's mentioned pause a little to enjoy the memories. I admit I've never read the books but the other members of our fan club have but I think everyone agrees the movies are the best. The scene when Matthew dies is heart wrenching but the last scene on the bridge is bittersweet. If you don't already know there was a third movie made a number of years ago that is supposed to pick up the story. The timing is not quite right since it is WWI and Gilbert and Anne should probably be a lot older than they appear to be in the movie. Nevertheless I found it enjoyable and had all the same actors – what a treat for a true anne fan!

July 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  82. PCF

I watched Anne on PBS during the most dreadful time in my life – while I was undergoing chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease....and it gave me such hope. The beauty of the setting, the warmth and honesty of the story and Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst and Richartd Farnsworth were perfect in their roles. It has been special to me since I first saw it 22+ years ago – it will always mean hope to me.

July 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Lacey

Never read the books but love the movies. I love when Gilbert and Anne are reunited after the war in movie 3. Love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Olivia

Loved your post–I "met" Anne as a child and still love her story to this day–the scene on the bridge when they finally admit their love brings happy tears to my eyes and is one of my favorite romantic scenes of all time-

July 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Gary

This movie is charming and endearing. No explosions or nudity, just a charming, humorous story acted brilliantly. While Ann(e) is the focus of the story I have always thought that Marilla made the movie. Colleen Dewhurst's portrayal was wonderful. While Marilla never bore a child she was quite a mother. We need more mothers like her today. Thanks for your post.

July 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Paula

After watching and loving the movies, my husband got me all of the books. I read them all while I was pregnant with my daughter (named Annabeth). I absolutely loved each actor's portrayal of the characters, especially Megan Follows, but I have to say that I adored the books. LMM's way with words painted beautiful pictures of PEI in my imagination.

July 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Logan Berries

**** The series is on the BYU CHANNEL daily. I am Eastern time zone, on at 5 pm here. My family loves it so much! Saw it years ago, and many times since, never tire of it. Beautiful, timeless, and always entertaining!!!

July 7, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  88. nattasha

I love the books. Yes the movies good, but books really stir the imagination. The author of this article though obviously hasn't done all her homework and read the entire series or she would be aware that they are set in the end of 1890s and very early 1900's (Rilla of Ingleside takes place during WW1)

July 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • homework was done

The first Anne book, which is the only book referenced in this article, takes place in 1878.

July 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Annette

I am such a huge fan of the movies with Megan Follows. I still have Anne of Green Gables on VHS and have never been able to find the others. I was just telling a friend the other day that I wanted to visit PEI someday because of Anne. Thanks for reminding me of something so wonderful. BTW, another very cute family movie with Megan is Hockey Night.

July 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  90. ab

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! It is my go-to movie as well. In fact, I'm not ashamed to admit that I recently had a few girlfriends over for an AoGG day! I will never look at the Lady of Shalott the same! Thanks for posting this article. It made my night!

July 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Toonayya

I first saw this on PBS when i was 8 years old. I have never forgot this movie, I happened to find the whole series at Costco on DVD. I was so excited I had the best weekend watching it. I related to Anne in so many ways, I think my favorite part is when Matthew buys Anne a dress for the dance and he is at the store buying everything he didn't need because he was scared to ask about the dress!

July 7, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Lisa

If you like Anne of Green Gables then you should watch the Road to Avonlea series.

July 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL

I wholeheartedly agree! While I heard of "Anne of Green Gables", it was the Avonlea series that got me hooked to PEI and made me want to read the AoGG book and watch the movie. Marilla (Colleen Dewhurst) is in a few episodes of this series and Rachel Lynde has a recurring role as well.

July 8, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  93. Emilie

I have read every single LM Montgomery book, watched every movie and still enjoy seeing and reading them again. PEI IS CANAD'S HIDDEN JEWEL OF A PROVINCE. LOVED it there and am very proud to be Canadian. Read her books as a child and also as a married lady with children, just wonderful. Did not like the last few movies of her married life, not how it was at all. Her sons' went to war and her husband did not die in any of the LMM BOOKS...wish they would stick to the stories LMM wrote, much nicer....

July 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  94. femi94ce

I named my daughter Katherine with a K because C was so smug.

July 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Emily

I had the entire PBS series if Anne of Freen Gables! I loved her and always wished my middle name, Ann, had an "e" so I could be "Anne with an e." I still YouTube the scene where she recites the Highwayman. I just love it!!

July 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Belinda

What a wonderful movie adaptation of the book! I too just loved the book, but felt the portrayals were absolutely perfection!

July 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  97. ndavis

I urge you all to go for a visit to the beautiful island with the red sand. The people are friendly, the beaches are beautiful and you will understand why Anne loved it so. I have been twice and can't wait to go back again some day.

July 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Angela Palmer

I still bawl like a baby when Matthew dies-I sob! I loved the production of Anne of Green Gables but did not care for the follow ups-they strayed too far from the books.

July 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I agree with you. It seems to me that if the writers could make up entirely new stories, they should have been able to take LMM's original material and flesh it out without straying so far from the books.

July 9, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  99. s

My friend and I decided that the reason that we took so long to find our respective spouses was that we fell in love with Gilbert Blythe when we were 7 years old–and never quite fell out of love with him!!! I love the first two movies (i HATED the third one)-even though they are quite different than the books –Megan Follows was everything that I imagined Anne to be!

July 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Gateux

We have three generations of Green Gables readers. Great reads for young girls.

July 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Deb

Time setting is not the 1870s, more like very early 1900s. Fabulous WonderWorks series on PBS. I watch the DVDs at least once a year and love it more each time I see it.

July 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  102. mike

I love PEI. I stayed their for a month doing a job. For a place I've never been to, its strange how much it felt like home. The people are so friendly, they are unlike the people from any city I've ever been to. I want to move there. But soon enough your going to have to be from the island to buy land there. I don't blame them for wanting to keep the riff raff out, not a bit.

July 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Janet

Absolutely fell in love with the first movie. Ran out & bought all the books & devoured them. Have always wanted to visit P. E. I. ever since. Anne Shirley & Gilbert Blythe made such a great couple. Wished they continued making the series & didn't stop after they finally got together.

July 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  104. LBW

"Can't you even imagine it?" "No" "Oh, how much you miss!"
    I can't imagine anyone doing a better job on this story.. PEI should receive credit as one of the cast. Setting is more than beautiful.

July 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Kate

I loved both!! The movies helped embody the books but I loved the fact that where the movies ended, I could continue by reading the rest of the series. I was always so thankful that I was Katherine with a K and not a C!! And as a redhead and mother of a redhead, I felt for Anne.

And yes, Gilbert was the Original McDreamy, books or movies ;-)

July 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Phoenix Starr

What a wonderful series it was, should have read the book, Colleen Dewhurst and Farnsworth (poor soul committed suicide) were excellant, and began my love affair with "period" films, and I am still looking for a kindred spirit and bosom friend!

July 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Suie

I went to the play a long time ago in Charlottetown ( sp) I loved it and the books.

July 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Nate

As a kid my little sister absolutely adored Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. Because she watched them both incessantly, I was forced, under great duress at the time, to watch them as well.

I am a straight American man who has zero problem admitting that by the time Matthew passed away in Anne's arms out in the cow pasture, I was hooked. Wonderful characters, classic storytelling and tremendous performances. This was a great miniseries that I'm happy to revisit on occasion.

I'm gonna go throw a football around now or something.

July 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • haaaahahahaha

lol gonna man it up a but now that you shared some feelings lol. Why do guys feel the need to hide their feelings anyway (obviously nate you don't have that problem soo bad) its not like women would think you were gay, in fact they would respect it (so long as you keep up on your other areas of manhood lol) if they don't respect it, their probably better left in the gutter where you found them

July 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  109. RedLyn

I loved the books and the first two movies...hated the third movie...can't wait 'till my girls are old enough to enjoy Anne with me (one of my girls' middle name is Anne...and she has red hair!)!

July 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  110. ABA

"One good thing about me is I never do the same wrong thing twice," Love Megan Follows and I agree, I love the Kevin Sullivan production more than the book!! I watch it at Christmas as part of my personal tradition while I decorate our tree!!

July 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  111. satana

I loved the books and PBS made them come alive for me! Now my 13 year old daughter is reading and loving them as much as me!

July 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  112. stephanie

everytime i need to be motivated to clean my house or iron-about 3 times a week-i put anne of green gables in the bedroom dvd player, and anne of avonlea(the sequal) in the living room dvd player. that way, i can clean the way they did back in the day(they just didn't seem lazy). and since i know them both by heart, it's like listening to an "anne radio station" where i know all the songs :o)
    now my 6 & 2 year old watch it when they wake up and it's still playing!

July 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Char

I LOVED the series; in fact, I didn't read the "Anne" books until after I saw it. I like the movie better, so much care was taken with the details with the homes and clothing and manner of speech of the era you felt like you were there. The cast was perfect (always a Colleen Dewhurst fan) and Megan Follows WAS Anne Shirley. "Anne of Avonlea" was good, also. Megan Follows, along with the wonderful Dame Wendy Hiller as Mrs. Harris, made that series a must see. I was so sorry when it ended.

July 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Tchr89

I read a number of the Anne books as a kid/teenager, but just fell in love with the movie Anne of Green Gables. Megan Followes is outstanding as Anne, and Colleen Dewhurst is wonderful as Marilla. Whereas in the book, there are these paragraphs where Anne goes on and on...in the movie you can see other people's facial expressions to her words and drama.

July 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Lin

My grandmother gave me a copy of "Anne of Green Gables" for my 10th birthday and I literally read it to pieces. I adored all of Ms. Montgomery's "Anne" books while I was growing up. The first movie was enjoyable, but I could never get past how they contracted Books 3 and 4 into the "Anne" sequel (skipping the second book entirely), or ripped the story line apart for the WWI sequel. I have read most of L. M. Montgomery's books and as much as I love Anne, the Emily of New Moon books are my absolute favorites.

July 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenni

I have not read her short story but I am going to have to look that up right away! I am always excited to find something new to read...and I am glad to find another "emily" fan!

July 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Jude

One of my FAVORITE TV series ever. It's been a long time since I've watched them, so I want to watch it all over again SooN! I did enjoy the books even more than the movie, because I could get lost in the words and emotions and find out what happened to Anne as she grew up. Loved them all and will have to reread them soon also. My dream vacation is a trip to P.E.I. – maybe someday we'll make it.

July 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  117. charlie crack

Wait...i have to PEE too...oh PEI....(sorry)

July 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Jenni

There is something magical about the Anne of Green Gables series....it brings out our imaginations. I taped the entire series on VHS on PBS when it first came out and watched it over and over until it broke. I was given all the books in the series as well and fell even more in love with the story of Anne. I have read all of LM Montgomery's books but I must admit my favorite book series of hers were the Emily series...Thanks to this article I just ordered the DVD set of Anne...so thank you for bringing back a moment in time from my childhood...and is there anyone who didn't have their first crush on Gil when he calls her "carrots"??

July 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lin

Ah, who could not have a crush on Gilbert Blythe? And I agree, the Emily books are her best. Have you read her short story collection "Among the Shadows"? It's hard to find, but Ms. Montgomery could write a ghost story that sends chills down your spine. I re-read it every October before Halloween.

July 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Sara

These were the books that made me fall in love with reading. I still read through them all agin once in a while. I did love the movies also. I also check them out from the library to watch sometimes and love it when PBS airs them as well.

July 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Lee

I fell in love with the movie and then read the books. I got the movies (vhs), had them for several years, and then gave them to my nieces & their mom, who also fell in love with the story/movie. I plan to purchase the DVD set to add to my collection. I am 61 yrs old and I want to go to PEI.

July 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • CabinGirl

You're never too old to discover Anne and PEI! I am 62 and just discovered the movies and books about 10 years ago. Love them, they are so innocent in the context of today's fiction and definitely not just for children.

July 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Jo

I remember watching the series for the first time with my friend Wendy. Our evil boyfriends convinced us that Gilbert died and we almost didn't finish watching it, we were so grief stricken! Luckily we did. LOVE the movies. Listened to the book on tape and it was good as well.

July 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  122. sharon k

Enjoyed the PBS series so much my 6 year old made me promise to name my new baby Anne if it were a girl. As luck would have it my 4th daughter is Melanie Anne

July 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Karen

I have seen this mini series so many times I almost know all of the lines by heart!! One of my very favorite stories of all time and I only HOPE someday I will be as lucky to visit P.E.I. in peron myself.....it looks so beautiful.

July 7, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Jamie H

chrysth-e-mum!! i wouldn't be able to spell it otherwise. LOVE Megan Follows!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jen

I first watched Anne on PBS in 1985, when I was ten, and loved the movies instantly! I owe this all to my Grandma, who was an avivid PBS watcher. I loved the movies so much that my Grandma got me a hardback copy of the the first book; she wrote a special inscription in the book. She passed away three years ago and whenever I see the movies it makes me think of her. Anne will always have a special place in my heart!

July 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  126. ERIN

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ANNE!!!! IT'S MY GO TO MOVIE!!

July 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Molly O

LOVE the show and read the books several times... now you bring this up I want to see it AGAIN! Kinda wish it continue as Megn is still alive and can do a reunion show of Anne as her current age ..

July 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Terry Chism

This is the first video my husband wanted us to buy as a family many years ago; and he loves action films.
    We cannot wait for our grandchildren are old enough to watch it. We never tire of it. It's a classic both on screen and by book!

July 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  129. BJSLC

My kids and I LOVE the series. Other than the Sound of Music, no other movie/TV show has had such an impact on our family. Megan Follows was fabulous in the role of Anne and it was great to see her grow up on the show.
    We love some of the quotes from the movie ... "Tomorrow is a whole new day with no mistakes in it"... "To lose hope is to turn your back on God" etc. Have never read the books but hope to someday.

July 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Heidi

I own a full set on VHS and 2 different versions of the DVD and now they are headed to even better quality. I eat up anything Anne and peruse their gift store online many times and watch their sales. Cookbooks, photos, recipes, dolls – etc. I love to watch it over and over again and carry it with me on my iPod complete with all the extra deleted scenes, outtakes, and interviews. I also carry with me the soundtrack to 2 of the movies and listen to them often. Just hearing the music calms you down and takes you back to the movie and innocent and sweet the whole thing was. I have all the books – but much rather watch them. Megan Follows is a terrific actress and so happy she is still working! Colleen is missed though. She was a blessed actress.
    One of my top items on my bucket list is to someday visit P.E.I. and the lake of shining waters!!
    Oh and one of my biggest 80's crushing of course was (and still is!) Gilbert Blythe!!! :)

July 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • callmecordelia1

Oh yes... Gilbert was (is) a total dreamboat. I had a crush, too. :D

July 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Ginger

Love Love Love the movie. Having a daughter with red hair, I couldn't wait until she was old enough to read the books and see the movie. We quote the movie often. I see Megan Fellows in other parts, but she will always be Anne with an e. I think it's time I watch it yet again.

July 7, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  132. L

LOVED the series. My daughters just caught it for the first time around Christmas and I just bought a copy for them. Such a wonderful series.

July 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Julie

I am so jealous of Catherine being able to go to PEI! It's on my bucket list. I'm bring our girls one day, as they grew up with Anne and Gilbert, Marilla and Matthew and the whole cast. When they are down or it's raining outside, out pop the DVD's! (They are all in their late 30's now!!) Did anyone buy the latest one by Kevin Sullivan? It was weird and wasn't at all like the others...ended up putting it in the Goodwill bag. I see Megan Follows every once in a while on some TV show and still enjoy watching her act. Wish they would all come back for one last movie. I enjoyed the Avonlea series, too...I'll take these type of movies over anything else out there right now. Let's hear it for Anne girl!!

July 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I applaud Catherine for loving dreamy Anne! I read all of LM Montgomery's books multiuple times as a child, before the moveis were ever made. I lstarted with all of the Anne books, but also love Jane of Lantern Hill, and also the short story collections. I've been to PEI twice with my children, these vacations are some of our very best memories. If you are waiting, just go! I enjoy the movies very much too, even though they don't follow the books exactly.. the locations are breath-taking and the characters are so enjoyable! We watched all the seasons of Avonlea, as well. All I can say is, read, go, watch. Family entertainment of this quality is so very rare. Thank you to LM Montgomery AND to Kevin Sullivan and Disney

July 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  134. colt 45

Years after the PBS series first aired I read all eight Anne books and the first one after she and Gilbert are married is really wonderful. It takes place in a small coastal town and they become good friends with the keeper of the light–wonderful characters!

July 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • KR

I literally read that book to tatters. Pages paper-clipped in, tape all over it, a rubber band around the whole thing to hold it together. I finally purchased a new copy, but I kept the old one too. It has a special place in my heart.

The Dawn and Dusk chapter is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

July 8, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  135. Margaret

I always love the looks that Matthew gave Anne when she asked him why he never married. Her special relationship with him was so father/daughter. My favorite thing is how she talks so very much!!!! It's funny.

July 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Lexi

fell in love with the movies and with gil! :) it was a summer ritual for my two older sisters and me to watch the green gables/avonlea movies while we were growing up, and we finally took a family trip up to PEI a few summers ago, particularly because we loved the movies so much. meghan follows does an amazing job as anne with an e, and the rest of the cast was amazing too.

July 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  137. erin mccloskey

I'm from PEI and if you all love the books and tv series,you should add the live theatre performance at the Confederation Center of the Arts to your list when you visit! Adorable!

July 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • whale0522

I am also very proud to call PEI (Pretty Every Inch) my home!! The live theatre performance of Anne at the Confederation Center of the Arts is great (I've seen it well over 20 times) but, in my opinion, Anne & Gilbert which plays at the Harbourfront Theatre in Summerside is even better. It follows Anne & Gilbert as they head off to college & the music is wonderful!! Here's a link for the show info:
      I had the opportunity to see Will & Kate here on PEI & the amazing luck to meet Kate on Monday. I happened to be standing beside a little girl who gave her a very old copy of the Anne book (I think it was her great aunts or something) and she said she couldn't wait to read it. For all of you who have yet to experience Canada's best kept secret (or at least it was.....until the exposure that came with the Regis & Kelly visit last summer & Will & Kate this summer!!) I hope you make it down here at some point & see what we are all about, we'd luv to have ya!!

July 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  138. jewels

I also loved the books, but both "Anne" productions were fantastic – they still make me laugh and cry. As a fellow redhead, I felt for her and her carrot top, and I also loved how Marilla and Matthew simply fell in love with her. P.E.I. is on my bucket list of places to visit soon. Lucky Catherine...

July 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Erica

Absolutely adored the series! I used to watch it on the Disney channel when I was a pre-teen in the early 90s. To 2pugsinapod, why did you change the spelling of your name? I think Anne would agree that Elizabeth is pretty enough to leave it as it is :)

July 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2pugsinapod

Had a very traditional Southern upbringing, with every second girl named Elizabeth. Needed to set myself apart. By the way, I also dyed my hair green. However, my green was on purpose. Although I told my mother I was trying for black and it turned green. Looking back, changing the spelling of my name and the color of my hair were the worst things I did as a teenager. My mother got off lucky!

July 8, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  140. Angela

I'm with you! I LOVED the movies . . . saw them first when I was 9 . . . and could never quite get into the books (as sad as that is). The movies are a masterpiece and on a cold, wintery night, I (now in my mid-30's and married) still like to curl up with the DVD's and think of how handsome Gilbert was.

July 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

How funny re: Gilbert. My girlfriends and I still get together every year for what we call "Anne-fest", where we watch the movies. I admit, I saw the movies first and fell in love with them (and Gilbert) immediately. Such a great story! It never fails to put me in a great mood. (sigh)

July 8, 2011 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  141. ht1660

I loved these books as a child. My parents got them for me for Christmas one year after reading and rereading my Little House series, a previous Christmas gift. Both the books (all 8 of them) and the movies are great for different reasons. I recently downloaded the first 3 on my kindle, not all of the them are free. It was a very happy moment to be reunited with an old friend:)

July 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  142. IGral

Loved the movies. Watched them once again when on vacation on Prince Edward Island which was lovely. Tried to read some of Mongomery's other books but could not get into it.

July 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  143. christineq

Wonderful! Just reading this piece made me want to watch Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea all over again. I do love Anne-girl!

July 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Mommaheya

Loved the series on PBS. So wish it hadn't ended. Follows was superb as Anne and quite the beauty. Everyone was well cast in this delightful story. Tracie do you not have anything better to do other than look somewhere to create a stupid post? Seriously! Find something to do that will get you away from your computer dear child.

July 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  145. 2pugsinapod

Do you think the Duchess lamented that she was a Catherine with a C when a C is so smug? The books and series (loved them all) were a primary reason I changed the spelling of my name from Elizabeth to Allyzabethe. With an E. No other character embodied pure imagination like Anne.

July 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • callmecordelia1

So funny 2pugsinapod– I thought of Catherine with a C too. I wonder if she wishes she could change it to a K. :D

I watched the movies first, then read the books way back in Jr. High school. I love them both, and can't choose a favorite. The books are filled with so much more detail, but Megan Follows IS Anne. She was perfect. My BIL and his wife just moved to Nova Scotia, so I'm looking for an excuse to go visit and hop on over to PEI. :)

July 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thera

But the Duchess was known as Kate...

July 8, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  146. Cdiaz

Absolutely loove the series! I still have Anne of Avonlea on VHS...still searching for Anne of Green Gables. I've never read the book, but it's on my list of things to do.

July 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • hehe101

You should sooooooooooo read them! I love Anne, she really is one of my absolute favorite book characters. (I'm 14, by the way).

July 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Get the DVDs online now. It's easier to find that way. Love the tv series, so many good memories and true bonding time with my sister and some college room mates watching it. No one can top this version!

But I love the books even more. They bring a different type of nostalgia for me, the book I enjoy in private when I want to step back into my childhood.

And btw, I'm 33 years old and as muchin love with this series both the book and tv) as ever.

July 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Terry

I loved them both, but prefer the story line in the books. The movies don't tell of the House of dreams or of Ingleside or the many kids, such as "Rilla", or that it's her sons who go off to war, rather than Gilbert. The movies don't finally end with "yeth". That was priceless.

July 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malia

Terry, I couldn't agree more! While I loved the initial series, I was so dissapointed that the second series had nothing whatsoever to do with the books. I've read them cover to cover and cherished every one!

July 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

"Yeth!" So many wonderful memories! The last few books were poignant. I loved Jem's return and his faithful dog waiting, and reading Walter's last letter to Una still makes me choke up. Such an amazing series.

July 8, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

That's pretty much my opinion, too. Repeated reading of the Anne books when I was young gave me such vivid impressions of the characters that I didn't really like the TV series. (I admit it might have been the other way around if I had seen the TV series first, then read the book!) I thought Rilla of Ingleside would have made a wonderful TV movie and couldn't bring myself to watch a totally different story.

I also highly recommend the Emily trilogy. They were written later in Montgomery's life and show a much darker side of life in those days, but they still have humour and optimism along with everything else.

July 8, 2011 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  148. Margaret

Watched the CBC production on PBS – many times! It never gets old. Love the series! Have not read the book yet.

July 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • WCR

My daughter read Anne of Green Gables and loved Anne immediately. We watched the movie together and I am really tickled just thinking about how she loves Anne as much as I did – and still do. She's a kindred spirit too. Thanks for this article. It actually brings tears to my eyes.

July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Same here. I actually own the boxed set. I still cry. My grandparents are French Canadian and I've always longed to visit Prince Edward Island. Though I have a feeling I'd never want to leave.

July 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy

I loved the movie. Have always wanted to visit Prince Edward Island. Have not made it yet. I loved Matthew.

July 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Zornes

The Megan Follows movie is one of my all time favorites!

July 8, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |