Streep as Margaret Thatcher in 'The Iron Lady'
July 7th, 2011

Streep as Margaret Thatcher in 'The Iron Lady'

The news out of the Cannes Film Festival in May was that The Weinstein Company had snatched up U.S. rights to Meryl Streep's turn as Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady," and now the international teaser trailer is making its rounds.

The minute-long clip shows Thatcher's advisers counting off all the things that need to be changed to "maximize" her appeal - lose the pearls, lose the hat, and the voice is all wrong - and then Streep-as-Thatcher fills the screen.

"I may be prepared to surrender the hat, but the pearls are absolutely non-negotiable," Streep says, before giving a little smile. "That's the tone that we want to strike."

It's a fast look, but more than one observer is seeing signs of a potential Oscar nod.

Harvey Weinstein of The Weinstein Co. said in May of Streep and her co-star Jim Broadbent, who plays Denis Thatcher, "I know that they are without peer as film actors...Even so, I was absolutely blown away by what I saw of their performances as Margaret and Denis Thatcher. [Director] Phyllida [Lloyd] is doing an incredible job."

"The Iron Lady" bows in the U.S. on December 16.

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. SoulTrain1943

Why is this movie call "The Tron Lady?" It's not science fiction is it?

July 8, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Måd Råp3r

@TR,
    Please, thatcher was a bloodthirsty pig who sent the SAS to train the khmer rouge thugs. Just because she's old and demented doesn't mean she gets a free pass.

July 8, 2011 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Alex in NJ

I get that Hollywood is dominated by the Left. But seriously, stop making films about people on the Right. You don't see Gary Sinise making a film depicting Jimmy Carter as the underqualified man that he was in the Presidency just to prove a warped point. The Left are a bunch of bullies.

July 8, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. tracie

i really like the look on her face in this picture. she looks like a mysterious farrrt popped out of her sausagemaker and then a doo dooo dropped BIG TIME.

July 8, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ed Larmour

Excellent choice – who better than Meryl Streep!

July 8, 2011 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline

She'll win an Oscar for this role......!!

July 8, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. William Singleton

I have watched this clip a few times... and I just can't help but let at a bellowing "Ho-ho-ho!" when Meryl comes on... that's an Oscar performance for certain.

July 8, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. joyce

the one and only merryl streep. there is no way she could possibly lose the oscar on this one.

July 8, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Linda R.

The greatest actress of all time......Katharine Hepburn. 12 Best Actress nominations. Four wins. Two back-to-back.

Meryl may have more nominations......but Post Cards from the Edge, Music of the Heart, One True Thing....not her best work and diffently not good years for finding really good roles to nominate for Best Actress. Also, The Devil Wears Prada should have been a Supporting Nomination....not Lead. My favorite Meryl film is Out of Africa.

She'll be nominated for The Iron Lady.....but need to be on the look out for Keira Knightly....her role in A Dangerous Method is being called her best to date.

Current group of really great Actresses today......
    Laura Linney
    Cate Blanchett
    Keira Knightly
    Annette Benning
    Meryl Streep
    Julianne Moore

July 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • joyce

you can add amy adams to the list, i think she's fantastic. how about jodie foster?

July 8, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • allmylifeinpdx

I agree Jodi Foster would be a great addition, but Amy Adams ? Really ? I don't think she has done enough movies yet to be judged, but so far, she is just another actress in my book.... IMO

July 8, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. JacklynD

No one could do it better than Meryl Streep. Julia Child – magnificent.

July 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TR

Margaret Thatcher is currently suffering from dementia. Even Holllywood should have the decency and class to wait to make a film about someone who is ill.

July 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Dude

She will win an Oscar, she can play a good Evil Cuunt.

July 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alecia

Oh for pete's sake they should just send her the Oscar and be done with it! Plus you NEVER see anything bad about her in the press. Definately one classy lady.

July 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark

Amazing, just those few seconds. Gives me chills. Would watch her in about anything. Stopped watching the Oscars because she was robbed – robbed! – of the win during the past few seasons in which she was nominated. She was astounding in DOUBT, and was awesome in JULIE & JULIA (a chick flick – the only appeal of it was her). I mean, Sandra Bullock won an Academy Award!?!?!?! It's absurd, those award shows.

July 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Edwin

I'm sure ol' Meryl plays this part without any hint of anti-conservative animus. I'm being sarcastic, btw.

July 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pubeefa

Gee, I wouldn't have known that with you calling her "ol' Meryl" and all...

July 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I figured it was obvious and was intentionally being condescending. "Condescending," means I was talking down to you.

July 8, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. jellylee2020

I think Ronald Reagan would be a better choice for the part unfortunately he passed away.......

July 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Really? You're going to go there? Were you one of those libs who shrieked like a shrill harpy about supposed conservative "incivility" after Rep. Giffords was shot?

July 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Danella Isaacs

You don't have to see the trailer to "see signs of a potential Oscar nod." The signs of a potential Oscar nod were there when the news went out Streep had signed on to play the part.

July 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Klsteele

She is the LAST STAR! The only true actor in Hollywood. Hollywood women who profess to be actresses should be ashamed. There are no women that can act today. This woman can do anything and has proven it time and again. Can't wait to see her play this remarkable woman.

July 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • jellylee2020

Maryl Streep is indeed a wonderful actress but there are plenty of talented actress these days, Kate Blanchette comes to mind, though quite not able to hold a candle to the greatness that is Maryl Streep but she definitely has potential. As far as Thatcher being a great lady.....no comment.

July 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crankyoldlady

I might agree with you if it weren't for Judi Dench, Julianne Moore, Glenn Close, Helen Mirren, Emma Thompson, Marion Cotillard, Catherine Keener, even Dakota Fanning is extremely talented and hopefully she will get back to good films after the Twilight detour. For those who long for the grand old days of cinema, I don't really get it. Modern acting is much more about representation of real people and emotions and less about melodrama. I enjoy old movies but mainly for the costumes, set design and campy nostalgia.

July 8, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Torontonian

No other actresses? Really?
      I like Meryl too but I love others who are truly amazing including Cate Blanchette, Rachel Weisz, Tilda Swinton & Helena Boham Carter.
      What makes these people amazing is that they become the character (see Cate in Elizabeth and then in any other movie and see that she is truly amazing.)

I do however have to agree that some actresses are always the same character...a certain Ms Paltrow comes to mind. (Maybe one day she will suprise me!)

July 8, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. Kevin

I see another Oscar for her.

July 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Only if she trashes Thatcher. If she plays it straight, she's got no chance.

July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

Someone said the EXACT same thing when Helen Mirren was slated for "The Queen" Was that you?

July 8, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

No, that wasn't me. But there is a qualitative difference between taking shots at royalty and the rabid left-wing political partisanship that pervades the movie industry. Streep will be seen as "courageous" if she trashes Thatcher.

July 8, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  20. Rachel

There is no one better who can play this part. Meryl Streep is an incredible actress and SO versatile! She can play any part in the world, and does it so brilliantly, that you'd swear she is the actual character she is playing.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Meryl Streep and wouldn't miss anything she plays in. She is an outstanding actress, one of the best I've seen in my 52 years of life.

July 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. tracie

I enjoy a nice butt platter now and then.

July 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. carl

Well I was not able to control myself, so I am currently fapping to this picture.

July 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  23. anna

An excellent choice to play Margaret Thatcher.

Meryl Streep is a terrific actress and I know she would do this part well.

July 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Cletus

Thats a purdy pearl necklace. i gave my wife one too

July 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |