July 7th, 2011
09:41 AM ET
Natalie Portman is the latest celebrity to join our unique baby name round-up: The Oscar winner and her fiance Benjamin Millepied decided on "Aleph" for their recently born son.
People reports that Aleph, alternately spelled alef, is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, and has a meaning relating to the "origin of the universe...the primordial one that contains all numbers."
And while Aleph may not be a common first name - it's also the number one in Hebrew - neither is Pilot Inspektor, the name Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf gave their son after listening to a song by the indie rock group Grandaddy.
Here’s a list of a few of our other favorite celebrity baby names:
1. Jermajesty – The name bestowed on Jermaine Jackson’s son.
2. Banjo – “Brothers & Sisters” actress Rachel Griffiths and her husband wanted a very Australian name, and this is what they came up with.
3. Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen – The late and great Frank Zappa concocted these names. He used his creative genius for more than just music.
4. Sage Moonblood – Sylvester Stallone: You knew he wouldn’t pick something feminine for his son.
5. Audio Science – Actress Shannyn Sossamon chose this name with kickboxing instructor Dallas Clayton. We don’t know why either.
6. Moxie CrimeFighter and Zolten – Penn Jillette – of the famous magic duo Penn & Teller – named his two children with the American and Hungarian spirit in mind.
7. Poppy Honey Rosie, Daisy Boo Pamela, Petal Blossom Rainbow and Buddy Bear Maurice - Jamie Oliver and his wife must have been in baby bliss while naming their four young children.
8. Last, but most certainly not least, Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's kids Apple and Moses.
9. And the names that started it all and got us thinking of other unique baby names: Monroe and Moroccan Cannon, which is what Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon named their twins.
Which names do you think should've made the list?
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.