'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' world premiere
July 7th, 2011

'Harry Potter' tickets sell out a week before release

After 10 years, the end of "Harry Potter's" cinematic tale has arrived. Fans packed into London's Trafalgar Square on Thursday for the world premiere, and the cast talked to CNN about what it was like to say goodbye to the long-running franchise.

If you're planning on seeing "Potter" stateside on July 15, check to make sure there's still a ticket available at a showing near you. Online retailer Fandango reports that the site has already sold out of more than 2,000 showings across the U.S., from "Anchorage, Alaska to Sunrise, Florida," according to a statement. So far, it's Fandango's fastest selling movie. (Surprise, surprise.)

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" opens July 15. You can catch a sneak peek of never before seen footage during Larry King's "Harry Potter" special this Sunday, July 10 at 8 p.m. ET. Don't forget to send in any questions you have for the cast via iReport by Friday, July 8 at noon, and you could see the answer on CNN.com.

Filed under: Harry Potter • movies

1. jake

Sold out????????????????

We went to a 7:30 showing on that friday night, opening day.... and there was 30 people in the theater (3D)...

sold out... yea right.

July 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Andrea M

I'd love to go to the midnight showing like I did back in the day but the downside of growing up alongside the characters is that now I'm an adult, I have a job, and I can't be out till 2am on a weeknight really. Naturally I will be seeing it on the first day (much to the chagrin of my fiancee, bless him) but I'm afraid it will have to be after I put in my time at the Ministry of Advertisement Voice Over Script Writing, lol.

July 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Quackalot

If you know a harry potter fain, an intervention might be necessary. It is a sickness that should be dealt with as soon as possible before it is too late.

July 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eli

I'll catch it when it hits the second run theaters ... (you can't really beat paying $2 for a movie in a movie theater). I'm sure Harry Potter will be good – but I would never be one to camp out or stand in a long line for anything.

July 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. erich2112x

And when you get to the Pearly Gates and St. Peter asks if you ever read a Harry Potter book? Then what?

July 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • afw

I'd ask him if he had read any, and if not, I'd highly recommend it. Then I'd ask what kind of FICTIONAL books exist in heaven, and what the difference between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter might be. Then I'd ask if there was any magic in heaven (such as juggling fireballs without getting burned) or flying carpets or broomsticks, since most kinds of magic described in fictional works simply does not exist in real life.

July 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. What???

Look if you can create a best seller in the London Tube or the American Subway, then try it!!! Tbh the films have had great impact upon children and adults everywhere. Why are y'all hatin on it?? If you can act with millions of people expecting you to do well and still pull off a great performance, then I applaud you. Just stop hating on it and accept that it's there.

July 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. harro

That chick that plays Luna Lovegood is looking pretty damn good

July 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. stankFoot

Goodbye and Good Riddance.

July 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kris

Who would have thought Neville Longbottom to turn out to be the good looking one! lol.

July 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. zzzzzz

I saw most of the first movie and walked out of the theater. Brainless garbage.

July 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kam

This is shame on Harry Potter that promote witchcraft. Just everybody know reading and watching his movie is sin and against God. Period.

July 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • natalie

@ KAM – You are a moron so Shut the F. Up

July 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ronald Weasley

Wingardium leviosa!

*Troll's club thunks troll on the head, and he passes out.*

July 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • afw

This kind of response is symptomatic of someone who reads Christian opinion books instead of the Bible.

July 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob

Why is the guy who plays Harry Potter so short?

July 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ivy

I've had my tickets for weeks already!

July 8, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZsnK2nuW0&w=640&h=390]

July 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brittany B

can't wait to see this movie!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jiggered

I lost interest in this movie when I read he stopped drinking

July 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jeff

My wife took me to see the 6th and 7th part 1 movies, still not a fan

July 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Aunt Dandie

I hear it's one saucy tale! Isn't Casey Anthony in this one?

July 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Aunt Dandie

I hear it's one saucy tale!

July 8, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  20. NERD KILLER

NERDS!!

July 8, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. charlie crack

@wordbearer-here, here! That's too cool. A 37yr old that is intelligent enough to enjoy a good read. (I don't read em', but still...my niece does). A lot of people on these blogs that act like children could learn from you!

July 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Happy Fan!

I couldn't be more excited about it..the story line has become more and more action packed with every movie..and I have read the last book and yes I know how it ends but the movies have been outrageous with the cg and special effects...the last one was spectacular! J.K. Rawling is an amazing writer with plenty of imagination that captivates every age...

July 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. NooYawkah

I don't understand the hatred and anger from some people. It's not like the media is constantly hitting us over the head with Harry Potter 24 hours a day, every day. The new movie gets ready to open, there's some pre-release hype just like with any other movie, then after the opening it disappears. You don't have Harry Potter fanatics popping up on E! every other day, or museums opening, or coverage of some kid's shrine to Harry Potter.

It's not like Justin Beiber where the guy hasn't done ANYTHING other than "Baby" in 2 years yet we're constantly updated on his latest non-events. Sheesh!

July 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. xdougx

Do you think Emma Watson is hot? Reply yes or no below.

July 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. @......

They can't get a room, they live in different states. I'm pretty sure they are both taken and have morals, faithful. I think its sweet they and others have become web friends! My wish for them is they have the chance to meet face2face someday. I think that would be very nice. I think it would be a very fun time for all of them. Jus my 2cents.

July 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. charlie crack

@.....- we'll get a room when you "get" off the blog, "get" outa my face, and you can go "get" a life....or "get" dissed! "Get" it??? Then "get" gone sucka!

July 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JonyT

Pffft, I sold out years ago, so they did it in a week, big deal.
    :p

July 8, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. jujubeans

Emma's looking sassy in that short hair. Does she show any skin in the movie?

July 8, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. Peace

Hey Charlie! It's those simple things we talked about, love 'em! Your spot on for popcorn, too, btw! Boys too young for HP, just my youngest daughter & I. (Oldest daughter, too, if she's not wking. Full & part for her!) @ Istrt, Naaah, not a sucker, just dig HP! Good for you! Good day all ! :)

July 8, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. Istrt

Call me a sucker but I also already got tickets for the movie.

July 8, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. Professor Dinglethorpe Wattlesburyshire

The best scene..."You killed my father, Waldemart!"
    "I AM your father, Harry!!!"

July 8, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  32. charlie crack

That's absolutely awesome that yall go and have such a good time at the HP movies. That time w/ her and the boys is somethin' you enjoy and I admire anyone that can simply have fun with someone elses enjoyment. For instance, I like sports memoribillia and will stand in some crazy lines to get it when one of our teams wins. But my gf still enjoys watching and goin w/ me (when I really know she doesn't want to). Tell @BV "more butter, lil pinch of salt and some tupperware and napkins...pronto! Oh, somethin' to drink be nice too! Lol

July 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  33. Peace

Hey Charlie! BV likes to play around, too! To be honest, buttered popcorn is one of my favs! I hope she throws some my way! (In a bowl would be nice! HaHa) As for HP movies, my daughter & I go to theatre to watch (way after the long lines die down), I enjoy the time alone w/her. We don't get that very often. She works 6 days a week & has 2 of the cutest boys you've ever seen to take care of in the eve. So time alone is rare. That's the BEST part of HP movies for me! BTW, that "hmmm" on the other blog is me! Hmmm just seemed to fit, ya know?(from previous post on that blog) You'll see what I mean. Good Friday to ya!

July 8, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  34. charlie crack

Hey @peace....glad you enjoy the films (im just playin around). Did you see @BV around? Last I saw her she was ticked and was outside "pop secret" negotiating truck loads of movie butter popcorn and had a shovel to toss it on all the fat, lazy people and spray em' w/ butter from a super soaker! And she wasnt askin for "i cant beleive its not butter" she wanted the real deal...im gettin outa her way....she almost choked a dude gettin smart the other day told em' she was a bad @ss jersey girl and to not try and dance w/ the devil! Whew! And when I told her I wanted to meet "olivia" from jerseylicious she said I had no chance. So, I asked if she'd get jacquline from nj housewives and set me up....she may be in better mood today though...

July 8, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  35. charlie crack

Well he!! Yeah you have to line up a dang week in advance to see it so might as well buy a ticket.....

July 8, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  36. Corriebeth

My 13 yr old daughter recently started reading the Harry Potter series and she asked me to read them to so she would have someone to discuss the books with and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit how much I am LOVING the books!! I'm on book three and each book is better than the previous. I'm very sad to see the series come to an end.

July 8, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • WordBearer

Don't be embarased. I'm 37 and re-read the books every once and a while. The writing is excellent and as you progress further into the series, you will find that these are not childrens books. They age well with the characters. Enjoy.

July 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • renoit

my father is a 57 year old physician who has never read anything but medical texts and was never into reading for pleasure in his older years...until i FORCED him to read the first harry potter book. after that, he read the next six on his own. and he loved them. and i'm 25, so i'm no child either. it's nice to share this with him, though :). never be embarrassed to love a great thing!

July 8, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priya86

No need to feel embarassed. The first book was released when I was 11 and I loved it! I grew up with Harry Potter and my dad read them all too. Now my niece is old enough to read them and she loves them too! Harry Potter isn't just for children. It is a story that touches each of us because it deals with something we all understand, love, loss and the drive to do what is right. I love Harry Potter, always.

July 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • yayaobx

Absolutely do not be embarassed. I'm 54 years old, have read the entire series through several times, have seen all the movies and am currently re-reading Deathly Hallows to prepare for the movie Thursday. These books are amazing and offer pure escapism and classic good vs evil story telling. JK Rowling's detailed writing is a joy to read.

July 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Don't be embarrassed. I'm 31 and I just finished reading the seventh book...for about the fifth time. The series is a literary masterpiece and J.K. Rowling is a fantastic author. Such imagination! And she does such a great job bringing it to life with things such as the magical government, culture, and rules that you absolutely get sucked in.

July 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ScottM

Dont be embarrassed at all. I am a 43 year old male, I loved the books, almost everyone in my family from my Aunt who is going to be 84 in August, down to one of my nieces who is 10 has read or is reading them. The series is a masterpiece, what I love most, is it got kids reading. I grew up being read to by my parents, and have read all my life. The series will stand the test of time like other great seris.

July 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bloody Butt

You should TOTALLY be emabarassed. In fact, nothing goes better with reading a Harry Potter book like a bottle of sleeping pills and a pint of whiskey. Grow up and read a real book.

July 8, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Peace

Knowing how the story ends, I'm anxious to see how they put this into film. Sorry to see it end.

July 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sarah S

I cant wait to see this movie! I love HP.

July 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Superhiro

Strangely enough, I just watched the first movie yesterday. It was decent enough to make me wanna watch the rest.

July 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lean6

Oh I envy you. I remember being taken to the movies in the Fall of 2001 on kind of a group outing with no clue of what Harry Potter was about. I immediately started reading the books, going to see the releases in theaters, and collecting DVDs. It was just what the doctor ordered to escape what this world had become on 9/11...an escape. I'm pretty sure that's what the real magic is behind the success of the series. I'd be interested to see if you get the same effect just starting in 2011.

July 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. proj

its the only one that does!

July 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  41. LOL

And your opinion matters?

July 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Guest

Wow, the first comment wasted by a troll. Way to go.

July 8, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  43. Fez

I like Hairy Pooter

July 8, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  44. Julie

Yes I agree, thank goodness it is ending.

July 8, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  45. who cares?

you wanted to be the first loser paying homage to this crap?

July 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  46. I'm not an idiot.

You are rude. The Harry Potter books are really good. They are an amazing story. JK Rowling knows her stuff. These books are not just for little kids, and they are definitely not 'crap'. So you're not a fan? Fine. You don't have to say anything. I know it's overused and cliche, but if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. That goes for all the others who are haters too, not just you.

July 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |