Pia Toscano lands a record deal
July 6th, 2011

Pia Toscano lands a record deal

Pia Toscano didn’t come close to taking the title on “American Idol” – to the outrage of viewers, she didn't make it into the Top 8 – but the singer didn’t need it.

According to a statement, Interscope Records has signed the songstress, and an album is expected to arrive later this year. Her first single, "This Time" - penned by singer-songwriter Ester Dean, who's written Rihanna's "Rude Boy" and "What's My Name" - will be released on July 12.

Right after her shocking ouster from "Idol," rumors spread that Toscano indeed was signing on with Interscope head and "Idol" mentor Jimmy Iovine's label, but she told "Showbiz Tonight's" A.J. Hammer that it wasn't yet a done deal.

"Jimmy Iovine was an amazing mentor during my time on Idol and I'm looking forward to working with him and everyone at Interscope Records and 19 Recordings," Toscano said. "This is a dream come true."

Filed under: American Idol 2011 • Music

« Previous entry
  1. king of fighters 1.8

I loved up to you will obtain carried out right here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be turning in the following. ill indisputably come more until now once more since precisely the same nearly a lot frequently inside of case you defend this hike.

June 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Name*mikel

Good deal for pia, great deaL For her fans!!!

July 29, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. DrRundas

Wow what is with all the girls sending f***ing hate messages, so she's better then youall who's gives a F***
    Lord what has america come to

July 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. musicmaiden

Congratulations pia; and great choice jimmy ! I stopped watching idol when she left, she was a perfect example of how truly gifted singers leave the show; simply because the clueless control the show.The show should be restructured or fold.

July 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. genaro bravo cruz

She so be

July 22, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shari

Pia is the American Idol,!!! Great for her cant wait for the CD, I will buy all she comes out with. She has a Voice of gold,

July 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. smitty

PIA I NEW U WOULD B SCOOPED UP IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF TIME.I WAS GLAD SCOTT MCCREEDY WON BECAUSE HE WAS THE ONLY NATURAL TALENT LEFT ON Ai after u left & we will b hearing ur beautiful voice 4 years 2 come congrats ur a winner

July 20, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Name*Lisa

Pia is very talented. However, she wasn't following the judges suggestions. She will do well in her career within her genre. She is not a pop artist.

July 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. missy

Typical negative comments but i say congrats to you Pia and i wish you all the success you can get! Haters kill yourselves haha :p lol

July 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mike

Pia is my favorite color pia is the love u discover

July 20, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. mike

Pia will u have my baby....plz

July 20, 2011 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. nerp

Damn girl I would love to hear those vocal chords go crazy..... she'll be singin alright... and nobody remembers AmeRican juNIors... Did I dream that I swear it came on!

July 19, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. It burns when I Pia

Who cares?

July 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. southwest

She looks like an angel to me...."No Changes Needed At All !!!!"

July 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. doot

I was very disappointed when she left AI as well. She deserved to go farther. Very talented & beautiful. I wish her well & look forward to the album. You go girl!!! Congrats!!!

July 17, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. Casey Anthony can save the day

Casey Anthony should do to this talentless hack what she did to her daughter. Seems fair to me.

July 16, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. L!ZEBRA

I have never heard her sing but from just reading the comments im sure she is good. im an artist and a singer so i know what its like to get compliments and then insults. so go pia!

July 15, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. nene

Im soooooo happy for her she deserves it.

July 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mars

I think she's pretty & talented. I wish I could sing! I know I could't get on stage in front of America. Who knows, maybe she'll be the nxt Barbara Streisand or Bette Midler. They sing beautifully & OH they never had nose jobs!

July 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Name*odis

Just thank God 4every thing sweetheart because without him nothing is possible And from me to you be blessed your simply put beautiful and talented that is a beautiful combination all by it self always remember to put God first always Odis

July 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. DonJJ

I still will never watch Idol again. They need better personalities.

July 11, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  22. Rachel Bartow

Good for her, i'm so glad she got a deal, she has such a beautyful voice!! gooo Pia!! were rooting for you sweetie!!=)

July 11, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  23. connie

A nose job? A voice that's not good? Hey she might not be beautiful to you because you invy her and her songs might not be your taste but to be honest she's beautiful and she sings good. I bet she will be successful. More successful than anyone here writing comments about her.

July 10, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. feely

Pia needs a nose job but only if she wants...4omehow she can pull it off without it. I like her voice if someone works with her. She reminds me of a statued robot if that's a good meaning.

July 10, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. nick

I am going to be really,really onest!!!!! And b4 I say what I have to say!I am a PIA fan! BUT SHE CAN'T SING! 1 to 10 I give a 4 1/2..she needs to work really hard!and when its all set and done she will Make it!!

July 10, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  26. mrsboo

Beautiful girl,beautiful voice! Knew we d hear ur music soon.cant wait t buy ur frst album..best wishes to u....a fan...

July 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  27. chris

Bet she gives good bj

July 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. nerp

It was lametastic, however being young and stupid I watched it, I think it aired back in 2002-2003...

July 9, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. nerp

So, anyone remember American Juniors? Damn am I the only one that remembers that? Hmmm.....*shrugs*

July 9, 2011 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  30. d

ester deans a god @ writing wow girl!

July 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. daidara

I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by Fedex. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all thisstuff, BuzzSave.com ,According to a statement, Interscope Records has signed the songstress, and an album is expected to arrive later this year. Her first single, "This Time" – penned by singer-songwriter Ester Dean, who's written Rihanna's "Rude Boy" and "What's My Name" – will be released on July 12.

July 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lady

I think it is rather funny that she quit watching. American Idol gave her everything, She would not be signing a deal if not for them putting her on the TV. Yes, she has a great voice and is a beautiful girl.....But if you watch it back you will see that she had no "passion" whatsoever. It is good that she is getting a deal because someone will teach her the things that she needs to do to reach the audience. If not for Americal Idol, she would still be at home doing nothing.

July 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. oldenuf

PIA WAS ONE OF THE BEST SINGERS AND DEFINATELY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE TOP 2...IM GLAD TO SEE HER LIVE OUT HER DREAMS...YOU GO GIRL:)

July 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lesley

She has agood voice but she's not that great or special, the media made her a celebrity out of nothing, better singers have come out of AI!!!

July 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. A Different Tina

So they're trying to turn this girl into a celeb. She wouldn't even be remembered if she hadn't started dating Mark Ballas from DWTS. She's really not talented.

July 7, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  36. Rebecca

She was and is BORING! Her voice wasn't that great not sure what all the hub bub is about this girl. Her CD will not sell and she will be forgotten very quickly

July 7, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  37. Hinkdizzle

I said I would never watch American idol again after never missing an episode and I have and will stick to that. The show is a farce and so are the people that watch it.

July 7, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  38. SinBinPoker

July 7, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  39. Peace

I watched Idol. Pia is cute & has a pretty voice, but would I pay to see her in concert or buy her cd? No, probably not. Her singing is a bit sleepy for me. Not knocking her, just not my taste of music.

July 7, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  40. Funny thing...

@DonJJ-She didn't get enough votes to stay on. You say jealous females voted her off, no, she simply didn't have a big enough fan base to keep her on. Did you vote for her, hmmmm? Some1 above said it best- her music will be heard in all the nursing homes and elevators, zzzzzzz!

July 7, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  41. DonJJ

Beautiful, great singer, finally she is getting what she rightly deserves after the jealous females voted her off.

July 7, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  42. Trina

Go girl, Bring It On, Tell American they choose the wrong Finalist for AI.

July 6, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. JoJo

She is a cover singer, but I wish her the best!

July 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Tina

Tina, why don't you send us a picture of yourself so that we all can see what perfection looks like!

July 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. jujubeans

who cares if she can sing? She's got the body to show off and shake.

July 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Denver the Last Dinosaur

I would kill to eat this woman's butt.

July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sally D.

She needs to come out of the closet. We went to high school together and made out at my house twice, although it never went any farther she was totally into it and I could tell she liked me more than any boys.

July 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bank Card

This can't be true....... can it, its so hard to tell with the ladies, take that check from True Blood who came out of the closet and then married some dude a little later. I'll be she goes both ways.

July 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Sally D.

I agree, she is going to be like Adam and Clay and come out of the closet once she gets her record deal.

July 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • inurdreams

yeah, right, and I was Prince William's first choice ....

July 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  48. peter

Pia will be remembered longer than the other contestants on AI simply because she is beautiful. On the other hand past winners dont excite anymore.

July 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Vince

Is there anyone from any of the Idol seasons that is currently relavant?

July 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. wendy

Uh who cares? She's got a record deal..woo hoo. I got a dog YEAH..I'm special too. Anyways this is not important news in the slightest so yeah its pretty funny reading these comments where people get all worked up over, well nothing really. Ha glad I got a good laugh out of reading this

July 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JC

IMO she deserved to be in the top 3. She's definitely as talented as any of the most recent AI winners, and her face alone will sell CDs.

July 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey Anthony is BEAUTIFUL, inside and out

I agree with your thought on Casey Anthony.

July 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  52. I want Casey Anthony to have my baby because she is a great mother

Casey can sing better than her. Where is Caseys record deal, HUH!??

July 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  53. mauree

Over rated!!!

July 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Zolo

AI is a karaoke contest that has foisted some of the most talentless people upon the country.

July 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Joe

The young lady is beautiful.

July 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Burgher Girl

Just another Celine Dion....we have enough of those...

July 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  57. the punisher

Looking for great music on AI makes about as much sense as looking for gold under an outhouse.

July 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. siren4song

Sorry–she's pretty one-dimensional. Any session vocalist is at least as good as this girl. Wasn't sorry at all to see her leave Idol. Because I KNEW she would get a record deal. Catherine McPhee was comparably good, or better–it doesn't mean you will sell records.

July 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  59. jose

She will always b my american idol. mariah carey n alicia keys make some room for pia...

July 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. WOW!

Pia's new album will be heard nation wide in every nursing home and elevator! Way to go Pia!

July 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  61. twelve

I gots to take a Pia.

July 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Sandra

she's boring...ZZZzzzz

July 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. fartknocker

I can't believe the illiterate idiots on here!

July 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Sky Song

Pia fits a mold that the recording industry prefers. In particular, she is very beautiful. She also has a nicer voice than Brittany Spears or Katy Perry, who clearly were also selected because they were beautiful. She does not have as nice of a voice as say Susan Boyle or Charice, who have risen to prominence because of their spectacular instruments, despite not being cover girl types - though skillful makeup artists and costumiers can make them look pretty good anyway.

I believe that the success of Susan Boyle and Charice are evidence that at least some fans are looking for the music and not the looks, while the success of Brittany Spears and Katy Perry shows that some fans are after the looks.

Pia seems like a grounded, hardworking person. I suspect that this will be the most important factor in her future success. Does she show up for work prepared? Does she work hard? If so, I suspect she will be a successful professional singer, or take on some other role in the entertainment industry.

July 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Vote for Pedro!

Best. Comment. Ever.

July 6, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  66. catamount

She easily had the best female voice and I will await her album! Good luck Pia!!

July 6, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  67. ron31

I am very happy this girl finally get what she deserves. I was so upset when she was voted off of Idol, I stop watching it. She was by far the most talented one this season. Well now she can laugh in everyone faces who did not vote for her and to prove them wrong by selling more records than the winner.

July 6, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  68. Eric

She is so hot... I wanted her to win, not just because of that, but because she has a great voice. I quit watching after she wasn't voted to continue.

July 6, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. mia

Beautiful voice, beautiful woman, but she doesn't "feel the lyrics" she's got to believe what she sings and make the fans believe that she believes. Now, she's also need to take dance lessons and learn how to move. If she get that down packed......

July 6, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Pia is a singer, and a damned good one, not a circus performer. When I want to listen to beautiful music, I will listen to Pia. When I want to see a buffoon dance and prance, I'll watch someone else.

July 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. jujubeans

The only Pia I remember is Zadora. She liked to show her boobs.

July 6, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  71. MillieBea

Sorry- there's no there, there...(to borrow a quote fro Gertrude Stein...) She can sing- her voice is well trained. She is attractive, no doubt. She has the personality of plaster of paris. They kept telling her on the show- the judges- that she needed to bring the oomph, the spark- and she kept saying "next time"- but there never was a next time. She didn't have any emotion about the songs she was singing. Like I said, no there, there.

July 6, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  72. twelve

What do you do in the restroom in italy? You take a Pia. Or doodoo. Most of the time you just have to take a Pia though. just sayin.

July 6, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  73. j

I knew she was good – when she got ousted from Idol I quit watching. That show is off – the winners for the most part do nothing and those who don't win do better. They need to fix that. Good for Pia

July 6, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  74. Tracy

this woman talent and appeal was so vastly overrated. she can't sing a lick and has no charm or charisma either. Standing on stage pushing out words does not make her a singer.

July 6, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Listening Through Big Ears

Don't leave a reply if you haven't ever heard her sing. She's got an amazing voice, which explains the controversy surrounding her early departure from AI. Myself, I'm looking forward to hearing what she does on her album.

July 6, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • whatisaname

Jealous much?

July 6, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

A good doctor might be able to cure your tone deafness.

July 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Dwight

Tracy,
      You must be talking about someone else, right?
      What do you mean in saying she can't sing?
      Are you tone deaf, or just plain deaf???????????

July 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunshine-n-a-bottle

Poor Tracy ... I guess you didn't get the special hearing gene ... the one that allows people to hear beautiful things. Believe it or not tone deaf does exist and apparently you just don't have what it takes to appreciate this lady's talent. Maybe you should take up crocheting. If your eyes suck, you can just get glasses.

July 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Tracy must be deaf, blind & crazy (or one of the American Idol rejects) to think that Pia cannot sing and isn't an absolute beauty.

July 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Pedro

I enjoyed her performance on that show. my favorite was when she sang that one song and did really good & the one judge was like wow thats really good, you sound just like whats her face & she was like yeah, I listened to her growing up & the other judge was like wow that really blew me away & she was like thank you & that one judge with the arms was like if i closed my eyes, i would think you're that one artist & she was like yeah, i like her too. then when she did a duet with that one singer that has a cd out & then the one jusge was like wow thats really good & then shes like, thank you.

July 6, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Pedro's a funny guy

That's hilarious! You just forgot to include the words "dawg" and "in it to win it"! Too funny!

July 6, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • lapdalert

I am like, this is like, the funniest comment ever like on cnn. me LIKE :)

July 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • chuck

Totally dude!

July 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro's not funny

ummm...it would be funny if Pedro commented like this just once or twice...but if you sift through other articles, Pedro uses the same old lame stuff...get some new material!

July 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ above poster

you smell like old mens hands

July 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  76. good

That's good for her that she was able to get a deal. Hopefully her music will do well... but who knows these days... a lot of these artists that come out of AI just don't last very long anymore... it's a cookie-cutter world where no one takes sincere effort to make good music anymore, lol.

July 6, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • JAMAL

She hot, dawg... dun matter

July 6, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Idol Fan

My wife and I are big fans of AI. I believe the last AI had the most talented bunch of singers, each with his/her own unique style and personality. Many think that Pia with her amazing voice could have won AI but unfortunately that was not the case. But I believe Pia has the looks, voice and demeanour of a STAR and that she will be quiet successful in her career. I will be one of the first to buy her albums.

July 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I am sorry, but she does not any unique talent that all the other singers on the radio have, and she needs a nose job, then maybe she would be kinda pretty.

July 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • [lol] (@Tina)

Tina, that is easily the WORST comment I've seen all day. Wow, it's people like you that contribute to the downfall of society with your idiotic commentary... if you equate singers on the radio today with any sort of talent then you need to get your brain checked for some irregularities. A nose job? Really??? Perhaps you need to look at the mirror and get a brain transplant and lose those pounds from eating that McDonalds, lady.

July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Britt

A nose job, huh? So you are into singers that look good, rather than sing well? Have fun listening to Britney.

July 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • nolagurl

Tina, she better not touch that nose .... that is part of the very facial structure that produces that beautiful sound. Some say it's a wivestale but if I had Pia's nose, I wouldn't chance it. And neither would anyone else who is as talented as this young lady ... of course, if you would like to get "personality job," I won't object. Maybe you could get one that helps you to be a little kinder towards others you do not know.

July 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Her nose is perfect already.

July 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ricardo12072@Yahoo.com

Ricardo olvera lanscip comersial triservi cell. 408 3645442. Col my gime demsaje ay col vac megustaria conoser amigac colm ymeconoses

July 24, 2011 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  77. Josh

Troll.

July 6, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  78. Morons Abount

You are a freaking idiot....

July 6, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  79. the punisher

Takes one to know one, slick.

July 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |