Lady Gaga: I'm not using the gay community to sell records
July 6th, 2011

Lady Gaga: I'm not using the gay community to sell records

Lady Gaga is one of the celebs who's been a champion for equal rights, but it seems her activism has caused some to question as to whether she's using her relationship with the gay community to eke out a greater profit.

In an interview with the Advocate, the 25-year-old superstar calls such skepticism "ridiculous."

“To say that I would use the gay community to sell records is probably one of the most ridiculous statements anyone can make about me as a person," she tells the magazine in its August issue. "I would say the top thing I think about every single day of my life, other than my fans, loving the music, and my family being healthy, is social justice and equality.”

Not that the constant gossip bothers her. “Rumors, shots at me as a human being, that’s what comes with the territory of being a musician and being someone who is a public figure,” Gaga tells the mag. “I care only about what I can change."

One thing she may not be able to change, though, is the perception that she gleans a little too much from Madonna's legacy.

"There’s no drama, there’s no jealousy, there’s no competition," she says of the comparisons to Madge and other icons like Barbra Streisand. “They’re just happy to see other women winning. I just feel so connected to Madonna in a lot of ways, and I feel connected to Barbra, and I feel connected to Cher and Blondie and all of the women who came before me.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Lady Gaga • Music

1. tbl92666

I'm gay and I do think Gaga is using our community to further her career - but we are suckers for letting her do it. Personally, I don't think she really gives two s&*(^ about our community - just our dollars.

Everything about her is phony - no substance, just marketing. Choosing the gay community as a market segment is a no-brainer. She is good at marketing, I will give her that.

Other than that she is an ugly, horse-faced woman who needs to hide behind costumes, because she is not attractive. Yes, she can sing and she can play the piano. So what? Her songwriting sucks. It is derivative, vapid and thoroughly uninteresting. Her lyrics are painful - the nicest thing I can say about them is that they are jejune.

But her fan base isn't that bright, or artistically discerning, so she will probably be around for a while. Will she stand the test of time, like The Beatles, for instance? No way. She will be a footnote.

July 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. HELL NO

Lady gaga is still hot as hell.

July 8, 2011 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Come On

nah shes using Madonna's career from 20+ years ago to sell her records

July 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. adam hart

*yawn*things like gay gay or gag gag makes you seem to be under 11. You shouldn't be talking.

July 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the_dude

Madonna is still super beautiful and hot and lady gaga is refered to as a man. There is no comparison......

July 7, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

I like Madonna too but she's past being "super beautiful and hot".

July 7, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. citizenUSA

You can't compete with someone who's not in the ring anymore. You can compare her style, flair, talent, creativeness and such to Madonna and/or Grace Jones but that's about all.

July 7, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. lola

Yeah right you peroxide wig freak.

July 7, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. Peace

I'm not a huge fan of Lady Gaga, but her fans love her, gay or not. Everybody has their own taste in music. If we were all the same, it would be a very boring world! Rock on & have a good day!

July 7, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. genevieve

What? Go gaga! Who cares about her motives? Who cares about her marketing? Who cares why she does it? Look at her! Listen to her! She's a freak and she doesn't care. She's a fabulous entertainer–quite frankly–a breath of unique fun to the rest of us plugging away in a world of drab offices and dress codes. And i say unique because, yes, perhaps her music/look whatever is familiar territory, but consider, she's re-interpreting the history of what we've experienced with Madonna, Blondie, etc to the new gens and to those old gens looking for that next powerful woman out there. She's a unique artist in her own right. And, I admire her ambition. Her music makes me wanna dance and have fun;-)

July 7, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Neil

I worry about what music gets to the masses and the hidden meanings in their music. Like This phony Roamin. He's bad for hip-hop, brainwashing, sellout junkie. Even check the illuminati symbolism on his cover. http://www.datpiff.com/ROAMIN-I-Am-A-Hoax-mixtape.245891.html

July 7, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. adam hart

But x is right people are going to hate.also forgot to comma die,how on my last post

July 7, 2011 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. adam hart

A month ago i recall being told i have no life and look here a month later same old(old,old,old...) haters. Also no 1 in music can ever completely dissaper, maybe you haters are just jealous because when you die...how many people will remember you hmmm.

July 7, 2011 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. mimzy

but actually you are using the gay community to sell records, no doubt!

July 7, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • kelby

she herself is part of the lgbt community and gave over a million dollars last year to the lgbt related charities

July 7, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. kelby

with gaga you either get it or not, for those who get it going to her concerts are nearly relgious experiences and if you don't get it leave her alone and all of her monsters.

July 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bribarian

lady gaga is one of the fakest liars to ever hit the pop scene, but that's to be expected and probably admired among it's braindead fans.

July 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • kelby

she gives a lot of people strength to show who they truely are and has give a lot of people gay and straight hope. her music and her message has saved my life after i was kicked out of my home at age 16. so that is real

July 7, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  16. Weird Al

"Oooh my little monsters pay, lots cuz I perform this way. Baby I perform this way!" <-- Soooooo true. Weird Al is a wise man.

July 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cece

Weird Al. Big fan of Lady Gaga.

"Gaga loves the song. I'm thrilled on many levels to hear this because one, I truly respect and admire Gaga as an artist."

July 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Beelzeboy

As high profile as she is, anything she can do to help is appreciated. So what if as a result she gains loyalty and fans and income from the LGBTEIEIO...ugh, community. Seems to me one hand is washing the other in this situation so this controversy is a NON-troversy.

July 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Emmamathers

And one more thing; as for artists copyng other artists. Yes we have artists of this generation mimicking artists from the older generation. So of course it's gonna look like LG is copying Madonna but then you had so many artists copying MJ, who mimicked James Brown. And practically everytime these artists are asked about their musical and dance influences they always say they learned it from listening to some particular artist(s) on the radio and/or watching them on t.v. So as far as I can see no one is deliberately trying to copy/steal someone else's singing or dance pattern; they just simply appreciate what artists did before them and they are just paying their respects.

July 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. EMMAMATHERS

I must say I like both Madonna and LG; they are alike and different. They are alike b/c they're all about expressing oneslef and not giving a damn about what anyone else thinks; also if you look back at Madonna's early work and LG's work from when she first came out and now; they come across as very daring, not holding anything back, kind of women. They both put on kick ass concerts; very dramatic and lavish. One could argue as far as personality and character goes LG is a younger version of Madonna. As for talent; well I don't think it's completely fair to compare someone who is just coming into her own in this fickle industry to a woman who has been in the music industry for at least two if not more decades; Madonna is gonna come out on top b/c she has senority. LG still has alot of growing and learning to do and so she has a long way before she can reach Madonna's status. This is simply my opinion and not fact.

July 6, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. PhilG.

Everybody'd got to hate.

Go On Lady G-give it all you got-the people that matter are the ones buying your music not the numnuts that can't stand your style.

As far as you and anything Madonna-that's a laugh-Madonna was last decade.

Tear it Up Gaga-I am well entertained when you are singing and showing the world your style.

And I am old enough to be your Dad-so it ain't nothing yucky-I just respect the way you are fighting to the top.

Give Em All Hell Gaga-this is YOUR TIME TO SHINE..

July 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. deb

Gaga has no need to copy Madonna or anyone....Gaga is a genuine talent with singing pipes that crush anything Madonna warbled into a mic. She's awesome.

July 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Beyonce

No, your competing with me, and I'm kicking your bum.

July 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jonathan

Saying that us "gays" made Lady Gaga rich and famous is ridiculous. That's like saying the only reason that Reba is a huge star is because red-headed fans bought her records. Lady Gaga is talented, and makes catchy pop music. THAT is appealing to everyone who likes catchy pop music, not just gays. Don't be bitter just cuz she's brave enough to stick up for us, and also for anyone who isn't cookie-cutter "normal."

July 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sum of Squares

The Line Keeps Repeating!

July 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. x

I always find it funny that Gaga fans have to always be out on a mission to bash people for stating a negative opinion about Gaga. Get over it folks. As to the using the gay community to sell records, that's just ridiculous. However, Gaga does pander to a certain audience, and that's the gay community, teenagers, and outcasts. Not that it is a bad thing, but she panders to the point where it's annoying and even insulting. She always has to FORCE a lofty speech or "believe in yourself/be who you are" message in her songs. It's just trying too hard, and i think that's part of the reason why some might believe she's using the gay community to sell records, because she blantly always has to make a point about sending a message "for the gays." If she just stuck to singing and performing, instead of trying too hard to preach FOR the people, I think criticsm would be less harsh on her.

July 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BrickFlair

Ummm, Yes you do Stefani. Your music is dance music which has always been big in gay clubs. I know I live in Atlanta and that's all you hear walking up in down mid town. It's actually not a bad thing. All companies have a niche market. I wouldn't even get upset about that...If I were her then I'd be like yeah. That doesnt mean she doesnt care about Gay rights or advocate for them. It just means that she is famous because gay people like her and that she caters her music to appeal to them.

July 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. PAUL99

this post is dumb why are you ppl fighting ?????? just shut up and mind ur own business............ if ppl like gaaga they always will if they dont then they wont youuuu cant chhange their minds w/ ur stupid comments
    i personally love her but some ppl dont i do think a lot of her fame does come from the gay community because she is a voice for gays but i think not all her fame comes from gays i am not gay and i like her because in my eyes she is genius and has many artful talents some ppl will dissagree but thats ok cuz everyone has a right to have a mature respetful opinion....they dont have the right to bash others bc that isn't nice :)

July 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

First off, you need to learn how to write. Your entire paragraph was one long disconnected ramble. Then you need to be honest with yourself and come out of the closet, you pathetic fruit cup!

July 6, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kathy

WHAT ?!?! LMAO

I'm not gay and I'm buying her music. This post is stupid.

July 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. LoJenkins

July 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LoJenkins

July 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. tracie

I want lady caca on my face! I like gays because they like to sniff each others hairy dooo doo holes SMILE

July 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Baz

I find it hilarious that one people claim Lady copied Madonna. What did Madonna do back in the day? She let's not say copy, but she inspired her own style/style of music from other legendary female artists... Like Lauper, same goes for Lauper I'm sure she inspired herself from the likes of Cher, Streisand, or some sort of the many variations possible.

The claims that Lady Gaga is 'exploiting' the gay community, are the dumbest accusations I've ever heard in the media. Name one time Gaga hasn't done good for the gays? She constantly donates money to the gay community, and if I recall she donated millions of dollars to homeless NY youth not too long ago..... Now someone logical explain to me how that is exploiting anyone in any sort of way?

As I've always said.. Haters will hate, because they want to be the person they hate on the inside, but will never admit it. I've seen some comments that say the gays are what keep Gaga going, you're right. We are, we adore Gaga because of the wonderful things she does for the world.

But than again.... You haters that follow her on Twitter, or interact in conversations about her on the Internet only boost her internet presence, which allows her to be nominated for awards, featured in magazines, and all sorts of things.

So before yall haters go hatin.. You might want to think how you're enabling somebodies career. I ain't complaining though.

P.S Their are many queens of pop in this world. Madonna is the longest standing Queen from then until now. Lauper, Streisand and others are also longest standing Queens. Gaga is the same, but Gaga doesn't have the 20 somethin year track record, but she's workin on it. she's from this generation, so it's safe to say she's this generations Queen of Pop.

July 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jodey

The notion that Lady Gags is gleainng too much from Madonna's legacy is ludicrous. Madonna followed Cyndi Lauper, who followed Cher. They are all variations on the same theme, and all quite talented women.

July 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah

I don't understand the Madonna comparisons. Gaga is hardly even close to following Madonna's legacy. Madonna's music was always eclectic and different, she naturally went through many transformations, broke barriers, evolved musically and image was, etc. Gaga, although her music is great and she is a great talent and knows how to market herself very well, her music follows a very specific formula that hasn't yet changed. She hasn't been evolving or transforming; she's just going through a lot of costume changes (big difference). She's not yet mature musically, she will get there, but she's not there yet. She's young, so maybe with time she will evolve. I just wish the shallow Madonna comparisons would stop, because Gaga is nowhere near being close to Madonna.

July 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. theDude

The clock is ticking and her 5 minutes is almost up.

July 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Barnaby Jones

The Meat Dress? Sounds like gaga is ready to devour a couple of doo doo steaks.

July 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  36. WOW!

Well Mr Brightside, All the good trolls come to certain sites.(Like this 1) It's a good laugh. Doesn't take much for u to feed the trolls. In case u haven't noticed, more trolls here than Gaga fans. So about that clicking on and posting, well u get it don't u?

July 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Louie

Susan is right about the gay community thing. Without her crazy outfits and make up, she is not attractive at all and she has never had many boyfriends other than gay men. She is just not all that.

July 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Susan

Sure I live under a rock because I dont like her. Whatever she isnt the greatest musician ever she just gots wierdos following her meat wearing ass. Truly over rated. What happened to real artist! And I bet all of the people that are defending her are mostly of the gay community. I rest my case

July 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Evel Knievel

So she's saying she feels connected to every famous woman who came before her? Apparently, what little bit of brain she had has gone to her wiener.

July 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Snarky

Screw all you Gagatards for acting like she's god's gift to music. She can BARELY sing. She can NOT dance. If you weirdos like her spastic motions and brain dead lyrics, fine, but don't try to say that others have no ear for music because they can't tolerate her awfulness.

July 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

Totally agree. Just because you put $h!t in a pretty package, doesn't change the fact that it's still $h!t.

July 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floris

Yup. There's no "talent" here. She has consultants who choose her costumes and marketing teams who focus group the songs. There's nothing out there that was actually done by her. Those days in music are pretty much over- at least in pop music. She doesn't even really sing- it's autotuned and altered to make it sound exactly the way the focus group wants it to. People who see the results and assume that all of this was from her mind or her "talent" are either very young or just deluding themselves. Maybe it's more fun to be ignorant, but then you just feed monsters like this.

July 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cece

Oh, she can sing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8SrlbpJ5A

As for talent, she's got plenty of it. She started playing the piano when she was four and wrote her first ballad when she was 13. You may not like her style, but you can't deny she's got spark.

July 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

You also can't deny she's got a serious uni-brow and a huge honker of a nose. Her voice has to be sweetened with auto-tune, she really just recycles Madonna.

July 7, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  41. the punisher

She's using the gay community to annoy the rest of us to death. Gaga

July 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MrBrightside247

So, WOW and Susan can bash everyone for liking GaGa, but GaGa's fans are wrong to bash anyone for liking other arttists music. Isn't that a bit hypocritical? Like who you wanna like. No need to bash anyone for their musical taste. If you think GaGa is a freak, and hate her music, they why are you wasting time out of your day to read an article about her, and then proceed to take MORE time to post a message? Makes very little sense to me.

July 6, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  43. rolyat

Her voice is not that great. But she has great song writers. Even Stephanie (GAGA) herself said her voice is just OK and that smoking POT has horsened it. So she tried to lay off pot. But it does relaxs her. Her music sells because the beat/sound really is good. No ne can jam a dance floor like GAGA. Look . . the girl has amassed close to a $100 million fortune already. In just 2-3 short years. An amount it takes some singers 20 years to make. Not all that is coming from the gay community.

July 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • cece

She writes her own lyrics. Everyone knows that. That's why some of her lyrics are solid and some are weak. She's also written songs for Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez, cuz those ladies can't write worth a damn.

July 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. WOW!

Susan lives a sheltered life? How do u figure that? So she doesn't care for Lady Gag Gag, oh sorry, Lady Gaga. I don't like the freak, either! Seriously, who in their RIGHT mind walks around with meat hanging from them? To each his own, but don't bash ppl because their choice of music differs from yours.

July 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. WOW!

Susan, If u ever saw her in concert, I'd say your stupid for wasting all that money on a ticket !

July 6, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Susan

let me guess Tyler you have bought all her albums too! I personally dont like her..dont care for her or her music and it really is the only reason why she has become so famous..She is a wierdo!

July 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paco

susan I bet you would eat some of gagas doookie muffins. Perhaps you and gaga could get together, bump biscuits so you both would have the crabs.

July 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

Susan please give up expressing your opinion on this comment board. Based on the childish and immature statements about poop and body functions, it is clear you are dealing with a bunch of 12 year olds!!! Seriously read the comments the only other "mature" (older) person on here is a middle aged woman who sounds like she has absolutely no life whatsoever!!!

July 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Susan

thats because you have no life get some cats!

July 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tyler

Really, Susan? If you ever saw her in concert you would recognize how talented she is as a singer/musician and what a lovely voice she has as well.

July 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  49. The Måd Råp3r

July 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Susan

I have always said this. If it wasnt for the gay community she wouldnt be anything!

July 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annalisse Mayer

That's absurd. I'm a middle aged straight woman and I like her stuff & have bought one of her albums. She's fabulously talented - one of the best singers and dancers out there. True she's a bit eccentric, but that does not detract from her extremely high level of talent

July 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • skip

susan – really? you must live a very sheltered life.

July 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  51. allee

this is soo true and little monsters know she wouldnt do this shes a very loving caring person that i love and im 11 yrs old and if i can see that in her so can eveyone esle shes a beautiful person inside and outside i love her shes my idol. <3

July 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • chad

I love you for loving her at 11 years old.

July 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Takin a Deuce

allee please shut up. Im trying to take a doo doo and your inane comments arent helping.

July 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floris

She is a business person. She is using her fans to make money. All entertainers claim that they don't do this, but she is making millions by making kids like you believe that she cares about you. I know that's sad to hear, but it is universally true.

July 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Floris

And, "little monsters" isn't her phrase. It was thought up by her marketing team to find a solid fan base for her. Young people are often targeted for marketing like this because they don't have enough life experience to understand that all of this is just marketing. We have no idea what she is like behind the marketing nonsense. She may be a horrible person, but all you will hear is what her team of managers and marketers tell the public.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • brickflair

Please do not make her your Idol. She is talented no doubt, but she is no role model for an 11 year old. Focus on being the best person you can be. The most talented, smartest and crafty. If you acheive that you will be famous yourself...but for the right reasons.

July 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • the punisher

You're 11. It means you really don't know $h!t about anything, and will buy anything your friends or the TV tells you to.

July 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

So this is how 11 year old kids write these days? That's sad.

July 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. CHEEFSFURY

SHE ISNT USEING THE GAY COMMUNITY CUZ HE IS A PROUD MAMBER OF THE TRANSGINGER COMMUNITY

July 6, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  53. Lady Gigi

Baby I eat corn this way

July 6, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

aww the truth hurts...that's all she talks about is the gay community..plz go away

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! no. all of this negativity on the INTERNET is the reason why things are so effed up these days!!!! stop pouring all of these negative thoughts in my head and leave me alone– to love gaga!!! she is the most wonderful person. If she even was "using" her fans the slightest bit (which she's not), then i would say it's part of the industy AND even if she was, she still CARES about all of us. now leave your negativity for nancy and let me go back to my unicornland and happiness and rainbows. :D have a nice day.

July 7, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

oops i'm sorry lady gigi i didn't mean to reply to your post.. iguess i was excited &it was the first button i saw. (:

July 7, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |