Adrianne Palicki and 'The Rock' join 'G.I. Joe 2'
July 5th, 2011

Adrianne Palicki and 'The Rock' join 'G.I. Joe 2'

There is life after "Wonder Woman."

Adrianne Palicki, who starred as the title character in the rejected NBC pilot about the famous superheroine, has joined the cast of the sequel "G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes," director Jon Chu ("Justin Bieber: Never Say Never") confirmed.

Deadline reports that Palicki will play classic "G.I. Joe" character Lady Jaye, in a cast that includes returning "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" actors Channing Tatum and Ray Park.

Another high profile cast member, playing the character of Roadblock (best known in the 1980s animated series for speaking in rhymes), is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who has been tweeting to his fans about training for the role on a farm: "96 degrees. Just heard the horses say 'what the f*** is wrong w you. Get inside.'"

Bruce Willis is also being eyed for the role of original "Joe," Joe Colton, in the sequel, according to Deadline.

Not everyone will be returning from the original film. Rachel Nichols tweeted back in March that she will not be returning, apparently along with Dennis Quaid and Marlon Wayans. Even Joseph Gordon-Levitt – Cobra Commander himself – said he will not be returning (he is currently at work on another sequel, "The Dark Knight Rises").

Do you think the new cast members will make for a great sequel? Can Palicki and "The Rock" pull off these iconic characters? Share your view below.

1. Wayan Bros. Fan

oh my gosh, I need Marlon Wayans in it. He's amazing but still its going to be a great movie!

August 9, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jadetatsu

I was hoping that all the original cast members would be returning!!! Now I hear that the Rock is going to play a "black man" whose a chief from Mississippi??!!! Oh Wow... REALLY??!! what are they going to do, color his skin??!! Whatever.

August 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gah

teenage ninja mutant turtles, transformers, she-ra, he-man, my little ponies, strawberry shortcake, rainbow brite, transformers, lady lovelilocks, care bears, smurfs, etc
    all things from my childhood- and all better on a small screen than large (if transformers was just a bunch of space alien robots duking it out- i'd be all over it- but some schmuck with supermodel girlfriends? wth is he doing in the movie? c'mon!)

when you watch these shows as a kid, they become special to you- it's hard to see them butchered on the big screen by the likes of michael bay and some bieber director

August 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sandra

The original was Ok, but I would still like to see Marlon back. Having the Rock in this movie is actually a good piece of casting, because if you look at the physical specime that is Dewayne Johnson, he actually looks alot like the body type of some of the cartoon characters.

August 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Michelle

Sequals are rarely as good as the originals, but for goodness sake use the same characters!!! I hope the Rock is given a good script this time. His acting is great but his scripts have sucked!! Well script or not he could just stand there for all I care.

July 29, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. joerorsi

ya you go rock another movie is going to rock because the rock has come back!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. paul

I am a lifelong fan and thought the movie was fine. Better to keep GI Joe alive to new fans and kids!

July 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Get a American Women as the lead

We need to see more of Real Natural Exotic Skin Tones on this movie set The African American women has everything The Dominant Gene! Exotic Features, Exotic Looks, Curves, Real Full Lips, & Real Huge Butts.

The American people are tired of looking at Washed up white women with fake tans, fake butt & lip injections and fake breast.

July 15, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Humore

The first one was so awful. Why did they want to come up with a sequel.

July 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jake

Channing Tatum can G.I my Joe anytime he wants =]

July 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JonyT

I can't wait for this to come out, so I won't go see it...

July 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sherrie

Sounds awesome..l loved the first..looking forward to this one..

July 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. darren

Well first they didn't follow the cartoon. Baroness wasn't cobra commander sis. 2nd ripcord was white and nobody important. 3rd cobra commander didnt become leader the way they had him in the movie become leader. They did a poor job of doing gijoe justice. Shouldva got michael bay from transformers. He did them right. But gijoe got screwed over. I didn't even finish watching the movie cause it was so bad. They shouldva stuck to the orignal story line from cartoons and made a movie from it.GOD bless them.

July 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. darren

Well first they didn't follow the cartoon. Baroness wasn't cobre commander sis. 2mnripcord was white and nobody important. 3rdcobra commaner dint become leader the way they ha him in the movie become leader. They di a poor job of oing gijoe justice. Shouldva got michael bay from transformers. He did them right. But gijoe got screwe over. I didn't even finish watching the movie cause it was so ba.

July 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe, San Diego

cocaine is a helluva drug

July 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. G.I. Jack

Dwayne Johnson is actually an extremely under-rated actor. He should be in more movies.

July 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jujubeans

The most important question: Does she wear a low-cut costume?

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cypher

Lee Byung Hun will be back. That's all I need!

July 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. the_dude

Women look really stupid when they let their bangs grow so long that they cover thier eyes. The male equivalent are these brady bunch – looking haircuts that seem to be popular with the hipster crowd.

July 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ron31

They add a wrestler and a soap opera star to the cast. I like the Rock but he hasn't had a good movie since Walking Tall. Hopefully he will be great in this, I think Adrianne was good in The Young and Restless but come on tv didn't even pick up Wonder Woman brcause she can only act in soap opera's and now she is going to be in G.I. Joe. This will flop too.

July 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nina

Adrianne is a very good actress. Was in Friday Night Lights and several movies. Never in a soap opera.

July 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Really?

Can you say "Stright to Video"?!?!?!? This will be a train wreck.

July 6, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  22. Bring back the original guys please

It is Xmen first class and Mortal Kombat all over again. With so many cast changes, the movie is not going feel like a sequel. The reason why GI Joe: Rise of Cobra wasn’t that good was when watching it, it didn’t feel like that there was any lead character in the movie. Good performances from Dennis Quaid, Ray Parks, Sienna Miller, Rachel Nichols saved the movie, but if only Ray Parks is returning, why watch the sequel? His character does not even talk in the movie! Good actors like Brendan Fraser and Arnold Vosloo, who are able to carry a movie like they did in the Mummy, had such small parts in the original GI Joe movie too. That couldn’t help. If GI Joe 2 is not going to bring back more of the original actors from the first movie, then I am giving it amiss. Xmen with no Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen is not Xmen. GI Joe without so much of the original cast is certainly not going to be GI Joe.

July 6, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  23. RickZ

Maybe they should just go pure spoof. Arnold Schwarzenegger can take over as Destro (since he's available). We'll put Paris Hilton as the Baroness (also available). Woody Allen as Cobra Comander (kind of works, actually), and then we'll have the Rock (and I mean the full on wrestler persona) debutting as Serpentor. Bruce Willis might actually show up for a comedy. He does well with over-the-top villans.

July 6, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • myHEADhurts

ROFLMAO!!! That, I might actually go see... at least it would be kinda funny instead of sadly pathetic... way to keep ruining childhood memories hollywood!!

August 17, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. charlie crack

Marlon and Damon used to both be hilarious!!

July 6, 2011 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. JJ

I agree, they are mixing everything up with these films. But one thing...Lady Jaye and Flint were in the later versions of the cartoon....so it would make sense not to have as much from Scarlet....what about Baroness? She was a mainstay..and Destro? They were in every episode just about.

July 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. alecia

Throw in Karl Urban as a baddie. He and the Rock play well off each other. Remember DOOM @ the end?

July 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pattigee

That was a duo made in heaven, alecia. Those two would be perfect.

July 6, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  27. mike

First they use Heavy duty instead of Roadblock in the first movie, and make Ripcord a main character? And now they are going to make The Rock into a African American chef from Mississippi? Who going to play Doc, Jusitn Bieber? Good Luck Hollywood! Keep screwing with my childhood. And while you're at it, rip off a few more ideas from the 80's (Smurfs, are you fu*&ing kidding?)

July 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • G.I. Joe Fan

I know what you mean, Mike. I had high hopes for the first ever live action GI Joe movie, being a lifelong fan. My verdict: I'd rather watch reruns of the G.I. Joe: The Movie feature-length cartoon (or any of the episodes for that matter) a thousand times rather than watch the first movie ever again.

July 6, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • jj

have you checked out the revamped cartoon? they've changed some stuff around, but managed to still make it fun to watch. the movies should take a hint from them!

August 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. YOUBRO

WHY DIDNT THEY GET THE ACTORS TO SIGN A CONTRACT TO BE IN THE SEQUEL. THE TWO NEW ACTORS WILL PULL THE ROLES OFF BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER CHARACTERS. GAY

July 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. The Måd Råp3r

No way they get Bruce Willis for this stinker. I'll eat my shoe if he signs on.

July 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Superhiro

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder if brains are illegal in Hollywood. You have an action film, cast a bunch of action actors to be in it, and then hire the director of the Justin Bieber movie? Why? In what universe would that be a good idea?

July 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

This is going to be super sucky

July 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bulldog

Yeah, as the first one was such a defining work of cinema craftmenship.

July 6, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. [lol]

Yea... so who is going to replace Joseph Gordon-Levitt???

July 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • FenrirIII

Somebody behind a metal face-plate and voiced by a villainous voice-actor I hope. Maybe Hugo Weaving...

July 6, 2011 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  33. MichaelChatt

I think not having Rachel Nichols sucks. Not having the majority of the original cast is more like a poor quality reboot than a sequal. I'm very disappointed. I think this is a sequal that just shouldn't be made if the cast isn't there.

July 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. FenrirIII

Wow, racist much? I hate Marlon Waynes as much as the next person, but judge him for his horrible acting and not his skin color.

July 6, 2011 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. JAMAL

FenrirIII, trolled much?

July 6, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  36. myk

I have to co-sign that about his acting.. It really does make me wanna go out and throw myself into rush hour traffic of nothing but VESPA'S....

August 9, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |