Daniel Radcliffe: I was reliant on alcohol
July 5th, 2011

Daniel Radcliffe: I was reliant on alcohol

Now that Daniel Radcliffe's decade-long turn as "Harry Potter" is drawing to a close, the actor is revealing some personal details about what life was like behind the scenes.

The 21-year-old says in an interview with GQ UK that by the time he was filming "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," he was drinking to deal with the fame.

“I became reliant on [alcohol] to enjoy stuff … There were a few years there when I was just so enamored with the idea of living some sort of famous person’s lifestyle that really isn’t suited to me," the actor reveals in the interview according to U.K. paper the Telegraph.

Although he'd begun drinking whiskey on the set of his 2009 film, Radcliffe says he was able to avoid paparazzi evidence. “I really got away with that," he says, "because there were so many instances when a paparazzi shot like that could have been taken."

He soon realized that something had to change, and as of last August gave up alcohol altogether.

"As much as I would love to be a person that goes to parties and has a couple of drinks and has a nice time, that doesn't work for me. I do that very unsuccessfully," Radcliffe admits. "I'd just rather sit at home and read, or talk to somebody that makes me laugh. There's no shame in enjoying the quiet life. And that's been the realization of the past few years for me."

Besides, he says, "I'm actually enjoying the fact that I can have a relationship with my girlfriend where I'm really pleasant and not f--ing up totally all of the time."

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" opens July 15. Don't miss Larry King's "Harry Potter" special on July 10 at 8 p.m. on CNN.

If you have questions for the "Harry Potter" cast? Ask away by uploading a 15-seconds-or-less iReport video by noon ET on July 8 and you could see the answer on CNN.com!

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. KupiAlcoNY

Приближается самый чудесный праздник – Новый Год! Всех нас ждут праздничные столы, которые не смогу обойтись без алкогольных напитков. Не откладывайте на потом закупку алкоголя.
    алкоголь на Новый Год

December 21, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. mama's Broom

HARRY POTTER FANS!

Through a crack in space and time, from the war has emerged ghosts and a limited number of Magic Brooms.

Only two house colors red/yellow, green and silver
    with tassels dangling like mystical charms survived the journey to Mississippi Mama’s™ Magic Broom Factory in Hattiesburg MS. Each broom has been blessed and dusted with magic dust that has been passed down for four generations.

Check it out in ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/kashmirmoses2011/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

August 12, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Margaret

Alcoholism is diagnosed by one person, only. The alcoholic. Step one. WE admitted WE were powerless over alcohol and our lives had become unmanagable. Any more questions? go to a meeting, they'll have them for you there. He admitted he had a problem and did what HE needed to overcome it. Now HE gets to go live his life a free person. God Bless You Danny!

July 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeanne

Hooray for Daniel! It's about time a young actor found out early that the stupid life is not for him. I hope Dan goes a long way in his chosen career, and I'm glad he's got a girlfriend who's helped him along the way.

July 17, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kim

Not surprising AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LC

Proud of you Daniel.

July 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Arglebargle

Good on ya, Daniel!

July 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RJ

I did the same thing – it's been 4 years now. I didn't go to AA – just decided enough was enough and I too am living the quiet life. Good for D.R. for almost getting to a year and for not being ashamed to say so.

July 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fardo

TMI

July 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chang

Didn't this jacka$$ die inna car crash a couple weeks back? Now he's alive again? wow,...magic.

July 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scratch

I think both the headline and much of the discussion in comments is misleading. Radcliffe said he relied on alcohol "to enjoy stuff." That is very different than "relying on alcohol."

Alcohol is a drug that relaxes, and sometimes people use it precisely for that purpose. That sort of use in and of itself does not indicate a substance abuse problem or an addiction. I think the story, as written, is a bit of a reach.

That said, if Radcliffe has decided that alcohol is not something that he wants to use any more, I applaud his healthy choice.

July 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LoJenkins

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZsnK2nuW0&w=640&h=390]

July 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David

Poor, poor rich kid. Such a shame to have all the money and none of the problems.

July 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bogotabye

Good for you. My father abandoned us for the bottle when I was nine, all of my five younger sibs have had drinking and drug problems including a couple of failed marriages and one suicide after many years of drugs. I don't touch it, it's the only way.

July 6, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Casey Anthony is BEAUTIFUL, inside and out

And DannyBoy is a weenee smoocher.

July 6, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  16. Homercidal

Know what the biggest shocker is?? He's not gay! Seriously, I ALWAYS thought he was gay.

July 6, 2011 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rachel

What a fine young man he's turning out to be. Too bad people like Lindsay Lohan don't have enough self-esteem in order ot take good care of themselves. Hats off to Radcliffe. He's got a brilliant career ahead of him and he's got his act together.

July 6, 2011 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. radcliffes boy

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwUt4FpXU8&w=640&h=390]

July 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. helenecha

No matter how fun Daniel is, he can enjoy the saying he spills out as he gets up every day at least.

July 5, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lola

If Paris, Lindsey and so many others had only realized this about themselves a long time ago, we wouldn't be tormented having to hear about them all the time.

July 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. manuel

I want to know if he blew guys or took it nin the rear when he was drunk. I think he is hot and I would drink from his love muscle anytime!

July 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ruderalis

Good job Daniel, keep it up! There are others like you so don't feel alone.

July 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jewell

Strange that he revealed this just as the final Potter movie is due out.

July 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Cookie

I think what he did was wonderful, acknowledging that he had a drinking problem and decided to do something about it.

I was just so enamored with the idea of living some sort of famous person’s lifestyle that really isn’t suited to me. Well said Daniel.

Now other young celebs should take notice. LIndsay Lohan are you listening, you could learn a thing or 2 from Daniel.

July 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Robert

Good for him, coming to the realization at his age that alcohol is not a good habit. It's not a good habit ever, as a number of comments here demonstrate.

July 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. joe

Me and every other kid couldve said the same thing at that age its not being an addict its a stage kids go through around college this is pathetic

July 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. joe

Daniel your 21 maybe you went through a stage good acting though.

July 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. george in texas

he ain't planning to be a mother teresa, is he?

July 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Roelof

I would never sober up when I would have made such movies. Hiding from public is also a good alternative. Who needs BUUURB Gryffindor?!??

July 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Eric

Good For You!!!

July 5, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mijan

I continue to be impressed by Daniel Radcliffe's maturity and cleverness. I think he's smart enough to be able to find balance in his life in a way that many young actors never do. Best of luck!

July 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Wes

Drinking whiskey on the set is not being an alcoholic, its called being English! Cheers, Mate!

July 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. David

It took me 10 years before I realized what it was doing to my life. Been clean 25 now. It is refreshing when someone so young, whom is also in the public's eye, is courageous enough to tell the truth.

July 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RiverSong

Good for you, Mr. Radcliffe! Take care.

July 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  35. exCONsrvtv

My kids yell. I have a Harry Potter. Everybody'd happy.

July 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Heidi

Good for you Daniel..I wish you all the best and pray that you will continue to be sober and enjoy life!

July 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. affenpinscher

Good for you, Daniel!

July 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. madhater

Let's go drink some beer!

July 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Smoogles

He just likes dancing around with sticks in his hand. I bet he soils himself hourly.

July 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Megan

Good for him!! He is a strong guy and stopped the problem before it got too serious.

July 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ali.ibn.talib

you people complain a lot and always think your a victim. All addictions are in the brain you can easily avoid addiction by not drinking any. I never drink alcohol (as a muslim) and when i drink coffee its just when i have an early meeting. You want to get over drinking alcohol get a non-alcoholic beer and just remove the labels if that helps.

July 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  42. tbank

Ahh, the life lessons I have learned from Harry Potter. The Bible could learn a thing or two from Mr. Potter.

July 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. DataDame

Nicely done, Mr. Radcliffe. I spent a few years in my 20s getting drunk way too often, before realizing (1) how lucky I'd been that none of the stupid things I did while drunk had caused any real problems although the potential was certainly there, and (2) how little it took to get me drunk. Now, decades later, I don't consider myself a teetotaler, but can't recall offhand the last time I did have a drink. It's fine for folks who can handle it; I'm just not one of them.

July 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  44. lowcomdenom

Epwhiskey Obliviate!

July 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  45. damn yank

99% of england has a drinking problem.....

July 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  46. jessicaber

Sean: Why did you marry her? Sounds to me like that is your fault. Maybe you wanted an excuse to drink?

July 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  47. sean

I AM married. To a steamy pile of diahreah. She makes me drink till I puke 7 days a week. As you can imagine, our house is disgusting. She never cleans it. Worthless.

July 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tom

What is your problem Sean? What do you know?

July 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. FU

Wait till you get married pall...you'll be IV'ing the scotch again in no time!

July 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sean

I told you so. All of you. None of you EVER know what you are talking about.

July 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Joe

It's great that Mr. Radcliffe discovered that he doesn't mix with alcohol early on. He's young and has a full career ahead of him. It's also great that he realizes that he enjoys quiet evenings as opposed to parties. He will have more days of happiness having made that realization.

One question I have is what obligation should we put on the Hollywood leadership to provide some guidance for young stars who are faced with more fame and fortune than they know what to do with. These pages are full of stories of young people whose lives are a mess. It's unfortunate some of the studios don't encourage mentoring or other forms of helping these kids avoid disaster.

July 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  52. sean

Is it illegal to sit in your backyard with a bb gun and just shoot the hell out any bird that flys by?

July 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  53. smasheduprr

The drinking age is 18 in Britain. Yup, in some countries adulthood is recognized at 18. Sorry his parents weren't helicoptering around a legal adult??????????

July 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. lowcomdenom

Here, Here! I'll drink to that.

July 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Just_another_drunk

As someone who struggles every day with a drinking problem I have to give kudos to him for coming out and speaking publicly about his alcoholism. Very brave.

July 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  56. tom

I just diahreahed in my shorts and it ran down my leg as I was jogging

July 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  57. I cataldi

Outstanding !

July 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Z

One of the best decision you'll ever make. Good job realizing a bad idea and fixing it

July 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  59. ALEX

Not only is this fantastic for Daniel's private life as a human being, this is a huge play at career security. The tabloids don't pay the addicts when they run stories on them, but Hollywood producers love a sober actor who can stay focused. With an interview like this he just became an even more desired Hollywood business commodity.
    But good for him! Way to lead the rest of them too.

July 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. jorge washinsen

I wonder if they will start putting diseased liver pictures on alcoholic drinks now, or is the alcohol lobby too strong to allow such?

July 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Captain Winky

I think Mr. Radcliffe should be applauded for showing such maturity self-awareness at his young age, and with the fame and opportunities (good and bad) that he's been presented with. Instead of being in total denial about a drinking problem, and allowing himself to continue drinking into a raging alcoholic, he's identified alcohol as a non-starter for him, and he's eliminated it from his life long before it was allowed to destroy his talent and potential. If only more of us had this sort of "sobriety" in our thinking and self-analysis. I've personally been off the bottle for 5 years, and I've never been healthier or happier.. a life of sobriety just gets better and better for me. Hats of to Daniel, and hats off to anyone else who does the same!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. zoundsman

Just an observation (doesn't hold true always): I noticed being around alkys that they have a knack of sensing an
    opening in a conversation to sneak in a deriding remark. I feel it's that they know they have a problem and to divert
    attention, they cast the spotlight on the other person. I've known and been in relationships with more than one.
    Stopped drinking 7 years ago-I didn't know what the hell I was missing. Life is great.

July 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. salty

One drink is too many and a million is never enough. I'm sure dropping the bottle is a bit easier when money is not listed among ones daily worries.. even still.....good man for facing a demon and publicly announcing intentions to stay off it. Much harder to give up that liquid support system when bills are due, the kids are ungrateful dead beats, the job sucks, your back hurts and the best years of your life are behind you while a gray man stares back at ya from the mirror....at least that's my excuse.
    I drank at first because it helped me relax; took the edge off...now I can't wake up without a belt to open the eyes.

Again I say, more power to anyone taking this step towards health.

July 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Anthony82

Good for him. I made the same decision a few months ago, it was the absolute best decision I ever made.

July 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  65. mc

Try smoking the weed. Alcohol should be illegal.

July 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Judy

Good on ya Daniel. I've been clean and sober for 23.5 years. Life is much better this way. You're also setting a great example for the kids who've grown up watching you and may now be struggling with alcohol, too. If you can have the same problem that they do and overcome it, it gives hope that they can too.

July 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  67. arghhh

6 months sober for me... can't wait to leave afghan and change that :)

July 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  68. meh

Meh, just a kid being a kid... It's like the rest of us never did anything wrong....

July 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jillmarie

Wow, I commend him for admitting his struggles. He is brave to do so. He got away with not having anything published in the tabloids, like he said. People who are fans and tempted to abuse alcohol may consider this a warning.

July 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  70. JoAnn

Thank goodness it didn't take going to the depths and ending up in jail or worse like so many celebs – Lohan, Dunn, before realizing he had a problem. Now you'll have a legacy your children will respect. Way to go Daniel!

July 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  71. nwi

The headline is misleading. Harry Potter wouldn't touch the stuff. It is that poser that pretends to be him in the movie that has a problem. Yeesh.

July 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. LoopsFroot

Good for you, Daniel.
    Unlike some so-called "celebrities", he was mature enough to realize he had a problem and took the steps necessary to fix it.

July 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Mark

Wow, I've got to admit that I am pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming (few exceptions) civility on this particular board. Glad most people applaud his self-awareness and even more so, his action. Nice to hear there are still some young celebrities with some sense.

July 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Daniel

Well done young man, well done!

July 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Scott

This is exspecially impressive of a young man who's known nothing but fame and fortune throughout his formative years. Kids like that are so often enabled to pursue the most irresponsible courses in life because they are cash cows. He recognised a problem, and manned up and put a stop to it. Very admirable.

July 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Unknown

I would probably start drinking after working on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie also. It was such a terrible film.

July 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  77. chip

For every beer he doesn't drink, I'm gonna drink three.

July 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Brooke

Alcoholism is not a matter of "willpower" - I'm really surprised people still believe that. Alcohol abuse and alcoholism are two different things, defined separately in the DSM. Alcohol abuse means consuming too much alcohol such that it disrupts your life, but you don't have the cravings, withdrawal, and inability to stop. Alcoholism means you CRAVE alcohol, you have withdrawal, you CAN'T stop drinking when you want to, and you need more and more alcohol to get drunk. It's a complex physiological and psychological illness. I can take or leave alcohol - don't really care about it, don't crave it, don't have trouble stopping. But that makes me feel FORTUNATE, not superior.

July 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Beer3

I guess Harry wasn't a pothead after all he's more of a raging alcholic

July 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Beer3

I guess Harry wasn't all pothead after all he's more of a raging alcholic

July 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. AnnainTEXAS

I agree, you have to applaud Radcliffe. He is very young to realize this as most guys his age and even older are still stupid enough to be making the wrong decisions.

I applaud any of you, recovering alcoholics for taking that step to a better life. :)

July 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. james Griffin

I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series, but I am a fan of anyone trying to beat the deamons of life, in this case, alcohol. i am not much of a drinker. But I do believe the disease is heriditary and my father's side of the family is loaded with drinkers. Two of which died of psorosis of the liver. And my father drank like a fish. Thankfully, my mother never drank and I believe I got most of her genes. I drink a beer or two at the most, when I do drink. But I know I must be careful because of the genetics involved. Hang in there and stay focused Mr. Radcliffe. You did a very smart thing at a very young age.

July 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mel B

Lindsay Lohan should take a page from Dan's book.

July 5, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  84. chris

Maybe Lindsay Lohan should hang around with him and learn a few things.

July 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Rob

Good for him. Maybe now that he's managed to come through alcoholism with his career and life intact, Daniel Radcliffe could teach Lindsey Lohan how to do the same...

July 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Richard Cheese

Don't worry, Dan. I turned to alcohol too after I read Rowling's tripe. The good news is, you can move on to better literature and see her work for what it is. The bad news is you'll be inexorably tied to it for the rest of your life. The next round is on me.

July 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  87. dfgergb

Anybody think he made this "confession" as a PR move to shed his child-star image and make himself appear more mature to land adult roles now that Harry Potter series is over? Yeah, I'm cynical... =)

July 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jesse

Gave up alcohol but took up coke? That's what famous people do.

July 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  89. keith

I figured it was demons relating to his being gay....

July 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Kate

Wow, he was an alcoholic for a whole 2 months... that must have been tough.

July 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Clementine

(Note to jessicaber: Sorry others were so rude to you, they obviously have never made a mistake. And good luck to you.)

Sounds remarkably like lots of people his age, but it seems the pressures of fame are often so difficult to deal with and addiction and bad behavior are far too often the response. And the famous have very little accountability, which is as detrimental to them as it is to society (Lohan and Sheen quickly come to mind). I am glad to see Daniel Radcliffe take control now.

July 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jordan N.

Good for him. Wish my (soon to be ex) wife could have a similar realization.

July 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Rai Peraza

Congrats Daniel! I'm 11 sober yesterday and your story is a reminder of the reason I stopped. I was using alcohol as a shield. I applaud your choice.

July 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  94. boka

Alcohol – The problem and the solution to all of life's problems – Homer Simpson.

July 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  95. JJ

What drinking problem? He drinks. He drives. He goes home. No problem!

July 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  96. tuffyturf

Good to see that he is dealing with his demons and speaking about them publicly. Now it is time for the guy to come out of the closet too..

July 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Henry

Good for you Daniel. You should give the money you were spending on alcohol to the charity of your choice.

July 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kyser

Because all that money and all that attention was just to much, oh boo hoo......Go fight a war and maybe you'll have a reason to drink your sorrows away. He has a problem, and that it was the fact he was a child star and can't deal with that fact. Give me all of your money Radcliffe and no more problems.

July 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  99. xdougx

Oh c'mon. I'm sure this was just a case of a young person partying and having a good time. How many college kids who aren't famous have partied for years. Are they all alcoholics. I dont think so.

July 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Faith

A very mature way to deal with a problem. Unlike Lohan he didn't make a fool of himself, he realized he had a problem and he had to get away from it before he wound up with a DUI and in jail. Well done, Daniel.

July 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Lex

Good for him to get rid of the alcohol.Wish him have a life he want.

July 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  102. frequently sunny

Well, so honesty is to be put down once again, by the masses?...such a sorry lot!
    As for Daniel and his decision, I wholeheartedly applaud his integrity, art, and person....I for one am very proud!
    As for alcoholism, something which has been around me all my life (58yrs) and firsthand knowledge, it IS a disease (maybe not in this particular instance with Daniel). There is evidence that it is hereditary, there is no cure, but it can be arrested and one can learn to live life on life's terms. I have had an allergic reaction myself, and don't care for it at all!
    There isn't a whole lot of positives to find around alcohol, and it is a depressant, which is rather interesting when ppl think they are happier, better, etc with it!
    My other perspective, is if anything should be illegal, alcohol stands front and center on the list.
    well enuff from me....Love all the Harry Potter books and movies, and it's a bittersweet symphony to see the end is near of the series....well acted, well done, and thank you Daniel for your Harry!! (-:

July 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  103. frances glass

huh. i didn't know D.R. was heteros3xual. i'm a little disappointed.

July 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Thomas Bose

The really great thing you are doing, Mr. Radcliffe, is to set an example for your many young and impressionable fans. You are doing more good than you realize. Thank you!

July 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  105. shawn

good for him! at least he manned up about his problem unlike some of you clowns on here making fun of him or alcolholism period! wordlife!

July 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Rachel M

From his most recent comments, I was pretty sure he was a dry drunk.

July 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  107. bluemax77

Harry Potter a stinking drunk – Oh the shame...!!

July 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Techsupp0rt

Wow, good for him. Sometimes it takes people decades what it took for this 21 year old to learn. Hope it sticks!

July 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Coolius Unroolius

I noticed he never described being "sober" though. Maybe he decided to start puffing Moroccan spliffs instead! Harry Pothead on a rampage!

July 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  110. bob

Amazing. Wow. He is only 21. Thought he would have been pushing 40 by now.

July 5, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  111. nemo

Who cares....

July 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Andrew

That Butter Beer will get ya.

July 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Quincey9

Quitting is easy. I've done it hundreds of times.

July 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  114. wrack

I really like this guy now. There's no shame in discovering your taste for alcohol is something that will work against you as long as you figure it out and take action against it. I too have discovered the 'quiet life' and all i really need is good people who make me laugh.

July 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Mark Matheson

Wow. A Brit with a drinking problem?? No way. Go figure. /sarcasm off

July 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  116. bluemax77

Well how uncommonly shocking...!!

July 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Kozzie

Nicely done Radcliffe – I really liked his comment about "now he can have a real relationship" – all the people mocking his decision – I wonder if you have the same courage – or if you will continue to mock proper behavior – I wonder about all those people mocking him – how many relationships you remember

July 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  118. humtake

I think a fight between V and Potter would be much more entertaining if they were both drunk.

July 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Greebo

Oh Daniel, you bad boy you!

This is kind of like Peter Brady confessing about having an overdue library book...

July 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Nick

I can find no sympathy for people dependent on alcohol or drugs or even cigarettes. Nobody forces anyone to start drinking or star smoking, yet they cry the blues when it gets the best of them. And that line about how alcolism is a disease is pure BS. That's just like saying a lousy driver inherited his bad skills fro mhis mom.....

Glad Hary confronted his problem and got through it without using any lame excuses for why he started.

July 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Get it straight

Then may it happen to you or someone you love. Call it a disease, a habit or a genetic propensity. Doesn't matter. All the willpower in the world won't help you beat it. High handed moralizing doesn't work too well either. You, sir, are a jerk.

July 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  121. midwestmatt

I quit drinking or doing anything illegal 3 weeks before I turned 19. I never had a problem but knew that I could if things went south on me. Alcoholism ran in my family and although I never really worried about it, I wasn't going to find myself headed in that direction.

I made the choice just as Mr. Radcliffe did and I have all the respect in the world for him for making that decision.

Others aren't so lucky and fighting addictions can be a nearly impossible battle for some among us. Pity them and lend them your support as labeling them weak or unable to fight their demons is short sighted and lacks understanding of addiction and how horrible they are.

I've been completely free of alcohol and weed for almost 30 years and have never regretted a single day of it.

July 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  122. John Ryzek

Radcliff, drank cause HE was a Fascade and NOT the real Daniel Radcliff. We NEED to be ourselves. Goodness
    knows what these young people went through. GOOD LUCK Daniel! Hope you "Keep the Plug In the Jug."

July 5, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  123. KRS1

Kid making up problems to get attention. I can't ever take it seriously when some 20 year old kid thinks he was an alcohlic for two months.

July 5, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  124. Lorin

It's a shame how so many people can't enjoy life without drinking... I'm glad that Daniel Radcliffe isn't one of them.

July 5, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  125. New York

cool

July 5, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  126. Babzilicious

So young ... but good for him – he realized and did something about it before too many years escaped him. What I admire most about this young man is that he has embraced who he is, and refuses to fall prey to the whole Hollywood party scene, preferring to enjoy quiet times at home.

July 5, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  127. REALLY?

Change the name of this article. HARRY POTTER doesn't have a drinking problem, Daniel Radcliffe did.

July 5, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  128. Phil

Ejectus Liquorum!

July 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  129. yeahher

@rhodesma... it doesn't matter whether he was a raging drunk or not..apparently he felt drinking as often as he was wasn't right for HIM and the life he wanted and he chose to stop. some people will fault others for anything!

July 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  130. Speedro

Good for him, but he can hardly be called an alcoholic. He is only 21. The real drinking doesn't even start until you are 21. Anyway, good job quitting at an early stage.

July 5, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Boston

Actually, in the UK you can drink at 18. Regardless, I agree with you – good for him.

July 5, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

The drinking age the the UK is 18.

July 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Basil999

Age has nothing to do with it. I have arelative who began drinking prior to being a teenager. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the legal age of drinking.

July 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • runmom

Ummm ... not so much. You'd be amazed at the number of alcoholics in this country who are under the age of 21. Many kids start drinking when they are in junior high or high school.

July 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • vtrweasel

Funny what non-alcoholics think. There's no age requirement I wish I was smart enough to quit when I was young.

July 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • THX

I did most of my drinking between the ages of 15 and 19. After I turned 20 and in the 15 years since I've had 4 drinks with alcohol in them. Like Daniel, I figured out I liked quiet, intimate settings much better than big drunken parties or the bar scene. Or the obnoxious drunks that come with those scenes. Those I'm quite happy without.

July 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  131. portalpunk

Another good life ruined by sobriety. What if Keith Richards gave up live this kid, he would of had a boring life.

July 5, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  132. danny

Harry Potter's got a drinking problem.

Ya, he won't get typecast.

July 5, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  133. yeahher

That is so awesome! He's nipping this problem in the bud and i wish him all the best. i'm impressed – esp. being in hollywood with all that weirdness and pressure – he's doing what he loves (acting) and choosing to do without the bullshxt attached...that's bravery.

July 5, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  134. wasted

Nip it in the bud, young man. Or become a sloppy waste of a talent.

July 5, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  135. MacK

As long as he didn't get so insatiably drunk that he would steal a train with Peter O'Toole and Albert Finney...

July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  136. rhodesma

how much was he even drinking anyway? he said he was just drinking to deal with the fame.. but i doubt very seriously that he became some raging alcoholic that was belligerent and crazy. i hate how hollywood makes these kids think that just because they have a few drinks here and there, that makes them an alcoholic and they "need help."

July 5, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • brad-ash

Yeah that's the problem with Hollywood... not enough real alcoholics or drug addicts (sarcasm in case you missed it). Suppose you think media is trying to brainwash Charlie Sheen into thinking he has a drinking problem too. Sounds like Daniel was wise enough to realize his problem before in crawling in the gutter. Good for him.

July 5, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Alcoholism is not about how much you drink, it's about how you drink. Read a book.

July 5, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Blue19

The disease of alcoholism isn't defined by how much one drinks but why one drinks and it's effect. People can abuse alcohol and not be an "alcoholic", they can take it or leave it. Alcoholics don't have that option. At some point, earlier in their drinking career they could have likely stop but by the time they realize they have a problem, the disease has it's hold. Only by Daniel admitting he has a problem can he now take the steps necessary to ensure alcohol won't run (and ruin) his life. If you want evidence of what denial can do to your life, look no further than Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan.

July 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • runmom

You don't have to be raging, belligerent, or crazy to be an alcoholic. Many alcoholics never do get belligerent or raging. Being an alcoholic is defined by your being dependent on alcohol for your daily functioning. There are a lot of people who are able to hide their alcoholism very well – they are called "functional alcoholics", which apparently Daniel Radcliffe was. Good for him for giving it up, and hopefully giving someone else a nudge to give up their addiction.

July 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

Wow, sounds like somebody is in denial.

July 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  137. erich2112x

"Lightweight".....what?......."Candyass"...........Stop calling me that!........".Hawy Potttah".........And stop calling me Harry Potter!.......".Hawy Pottah and the".....Stop it!

July 5, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  138. tek

Wow and who says younger adults can't learn quickly. I am right there with you D. Had my last ever drink not too long ago and will never go back.
    Good luck to all that struggle with this.

July 5, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  139. Evil Independent

Showing wisdom beyond his years. That's what working with award-winning Shakespearean actors and actresses will do for you, as opposed to working with the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Snooki, J-Woww, The Situation, Charlie Sheen, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

July 5, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  140. Jannynet

Good for you Daniel! I was married to a drinker for 14 years. I never knew who was going to show up each day. He died too young of alcohol related illnesses, multiple ones. I'm not a teetotaler but know there are some that just can't drink and it's OK not to. Good Luck with this!

July 5, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  141. MrsFudd

Good for Daniel to come out and be honest. He is a role model for many and I applaud his courage and honesty. Alcoholism starts with the choice to take a drink, take another and another until you get drunk. It is NOT a disease. You bring it on yourself because of a lack of self control. You cannot get "alcoholism" as a disease like you can cancer or menengitis. If you drink, do so responsibly and you will never become an alcoholic. I drank for years and it was my own fault and I take full responsibility for my choices. I won't hide behind the "disease" facade because it keeps me from being truthful to myself and my family and friends.

July 5, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jj

Wow, fudd – you make it all sound so simple. Yet, the mind and body work in mysterious ways. Surely you believe that some people have more addictive traits than others. Not a disease? OK – it may not be like cancer, but it's not a simple matter of 'just say no'. It's surely a type of mental disorder. Or a bad personality trait that is hard to control. And each drink lessens that control.
      I also have little tolerance with drunks – but you sound like you have all the answers...

July 5, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

Mrs. Fudd, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None.

July 5, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • MrFudd

He didn't come out; says he has a girlfriend

July 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benzuda

You obviously know nothing at all about addiction. What a completely moronic mean spirited thing to say. And that goes for all of you who seem to be wishing bad things for Mr Radcliffe. I hope you can pray away your stupidity, not likely, but I wish you the best of luck.

July 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

OK Fudd, if alcoholism is not a disease by your definition, then neither is type II diabetes, gingivitis, heart disease, melanoma... the list goes on and on. All of those conditions are generally caused by people making unhealthy decisions. Alcoholism in my opinion is far worse than the rest because the condition itself actually takes away your capacity to change your lifestyle and start making healthier choices.

July 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chartreuxe

MrsFudd: Your opinion about alcoholism is contrary to that of medical doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists. It should therefore be taken with an entire ocean of salt. It's also the opinion of trolls and other wrong headed folk. You know, ass-hats.

Alcoholism is not contagious. Neither is cancer. By your insane troll logic that means cancer isn't a real disease. Alcoholism has been well established in the PDR for decades as a real disease. That you don't believe in it doesn't make it false or untrue, just that you live in a world of denial.

Troll fail.

July 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFudd is Drunk

Watched my Father slowly drink himself to death over my childhood. Died when he was 44. Drank right up until the end.

I watched when he tried to quit a few times and went into withdrawals. Then came the Delirium Tremors (DT).

Alcoholism is a disease.

July 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jw

Everyone's reply to MrsFudd is troll fail lol. You all make good points but there are claims that alcoholism has been proven as a disease? No, results of alcoholism can no doubt become diseases. The 'Alcohol is a disease' is a model for drug addiction. It is by no means disease in a sense of diabetes, cancer, etc., it's a model to explain drug addiction behavior, traits, etc. Google drug addiction model, you'll find alcohol is a disease among other models.
      Here-here to Daniel for making the choice of not depending on alcohol to function. It makes for a much better life!

July 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chase in Cali

I'm with you Ms. Fudd.

I personally believe all of this hype by the ADA (Dr's, Quacks) is crap. Just another excuse to bleed those into rehab, take meds, go to AA, etc. It's a CHOICE assheads. I choose to drink like a fish a few times a year. I by definition) am alcoholic, but that's crap. I enjoy to have a drink, or two, or twelve....hell, I've even consumed about 36 beers/drinks in a 24 hour period. What does that tell you (besides I'm an idiot) about me?

You are a bunch of pansy-asses in here. And have a drink when you get home. I know I will.

July 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • blue19

Chase, you're an abuser of alcohol, which is not the same thing as an alcoholic. Alcoholism is is an addiction disorder, or chemical dependency and is no different than an addiciton to pot, Meth, crack coke, prescription pills; anything that is a mood altering substance. It is a disease and has been recognized as such by the general medical commnity for decades. Recovering from the disease is not a matter on "manning up" or or merely deciding to quite. It requires a treatment program which may or may not include a stint in rehab. Daniel is fortunate he realized at a young age his drinking was different than other folks and was incredibly strong to admit it and take action.

July 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • biggun

blue19, Comparing pot to meth in terms of chemical dependency is a bit drastic wouldn't you say? Pot should probably be left out of the conversation if you are discussing addiction and chemical dependency. It is nowhere near the same as alcohol and definitely not like meth, heroin, nicotine, etc.

July 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Ahnold

alcohol makes me dance better

July 5, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  143. a

OK, butterbeer isn't even alcoholic Daniel!

July 5, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Lmao

July 5, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • missfigge

Might've been firewhiskey!

July 5, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • JK

Actually, in the HP world, butterbeer does have a SMALL alcoholic effect. Hermione caught a buzz off on it in one of the books and it really messes up the house elves.

July 5, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • ron weasley

ever see hermione on the firewhiskey, she's all over harry. It makes me feel inadequate lol

July 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

That was actually the first thought that came to mind when I read this, but I didn't want to be the nerd to actually post it on cnn.com.

July 5, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  144. maia

Hope he does better with out it

July 5, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

You realize melba toast is dunked in milk to soften so a baby can eat it. It's the weakest form of meal there is. Seems to pretty much sum your lame a$$ up.

July 5, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Yanker

He should change his name to "Danny The Hump."

July 5, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Woodyplace

He obviously has a lot of common sense and was raised well by his parents. He had a problem and fixed it. Good for him.

July 5, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • traintree

Yep, that is the part that impressed me too.

July 5, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • LadyAnon

Nothing wrong with a quiet, normal life, regardless of who you are or what your job is. There's a lot to be said for sobriety as well. I, too had 'too much fun' in my younger years and gave up drinking altogether. Wasn't till I was in my 40's that I realized that 1 or 2 glasses of wine wouldn't send me over any weird edge or off binging. Some people just have to get that out of their system – Good that he could do that while he's young and have the wisdom to come to his own realizations of what's important to him in life.

July 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Superhiro

Good for him to deal with it early.

July 5, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  147. Ted

Word Radcliffe, I have the drinking disease myself, and it is no joke. Good to see he is dealing with it early!

July 5, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  148. Faulker's Liver

Great art demands the rigor of heavy drink.

July 5, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  149. jessicaber

I was an alcoholic from the time that I was 16 until I was 23...7 years of my young life, when I should have been enjoying good health. I hope that he does not allow that to be stolen from him too and I hope that he gets to rehab.

July 5, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • duhhhhh

Obviously you can't read. It says that he quit drinking LAST August.

July 5, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Rich

It takes a lot to quit drinking. Not just mental discipline but physical discipline too. I know because I quit drinking about 1 hour ago.

July 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • vtrweasel

There's no such thing as "was and alcoholic" good luck with that.

July 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Dano

Way to go dude.......I did the same thing a month ago.
    I can finally sleep a lot better with real dreams!
    Now I just gotta cut back on the coffee.

July 5, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Jared

Dano – I totally understand the increase in coffee consumption – happened here too!

I totally applaud Daniel Radcliffe and everyone else here who has given up alcohol to enjoy life. I empathize with Mr. Radcliffe – I am a homebody as well and enjoy being home with my spouse, talking and laughing – two things I did very little of when I was drunk.

July 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Hugh G. Rection

hahahaha

July 5, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  152. The Måd Råp3r

Good for radcliffe, the bottles a nasty mistress. I do not miss my absinthe days.

July 5, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave B

Yesterday was my 5 year anniversary of being sober from alcohol.

Shadowboxer, you have no idea what you are talking about. You clearly have no knowledge of what alcoholism is. whether someone drinks once a week or drinks 7 nights a week, they can still be considered an alcoholic. It is not how much you drink, it is why you are drinking. In this case, he was drinking the deal with the fame. He had a reason behind his drinking. He was using it as a shield.

I was 21 when I was in rehab. I drank to suppress anxiety and depression which turned into a vicious cycle because they both fed one one another. The more I drank, the better I felt. You just numb your emotions. Byt the time I was 21, I was drinking 2 liters of liquor a day and could literally not sleep with out it.

People like you are extremely naive. He is a very determined and mature person to realize this at a young age. Age means nothing, he could have been 15. It takes a very strong person to do this, especially at the age where you are "supposed" to be out drinking all the time.

Good for him!

July 5, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

Any time a public figure comes out against alcohol, and advocates for staying home and living the quiet life, reading, and staying home, is a good thing. Good for you Daniel.

July 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I also applaud his decision. Alcohol can destroy your life if you let it, and it gets harder to quit the longer you abuse it. My brother abused alchohol for 30+ years before trying to get sober. It has left a toll on him, and he will never be the same. He also struggles with changing a lifetime of habits, and has had many setbacks. It is far better to recognize and stop this early.

July 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Måd Råp3r

Never said I was a full blown alcoholic, 4-5 double absinthe and waters just didn't work out too well doing it on a daily basis over a few months.

July 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • GonzoG

I miss my days of hard partying.

However, I came to pretty much the same conclusion as young Mr. Radcliffe–It's best not to drink for me. I don't think I could be considered an alcoholic, by any means, but I DID enjoy being drunk a little TOO much.

July 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • KC

Ah, Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder....

July 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • VegasRage

@Dave B, and I've been sober since 1984 and I think you are assuming Daniel Radcliffe is an alcoholic and being a bit hard on Måd Råp3r. For many in AA it's hard to imagine that someone can just stop drinking yet it does happen and even the big book speaks to those whom "we take our hat off to", don't forget live and let live.

July 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perfectcircle

Quiter

July 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • momomiester

Ah I told Harry about those Butter Beer benders.

July 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hinder

honey why you calling me so late? it's kinda hard to talk right now, honey why you crying is everything ok? i gotta whisper cause I can't be too loud, well, my girl's in the next room, sometimes i wish she was you

July 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wes

July 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

To Dave B:

You write "Dependency is a very important word. He depended on it, much like a Heroin user depends on heroin or someone who binges on food depends on food. It is why you are using it in the first place. "

Except... you're not using that term correctly. You need to look up drug dependence. It's not the same thing as why you started using it, nor is it the reason you are using it. It's related to addiction but it's not the same thing, either. It's true though that there is the escaping reality but that is not dependence. In fairness though – maybe you're getting at he "depended on it" for "escaping" (or whatever) but there's a difference and since you mention heroin etc I have to assume you're thinking they're the same thing. They're not – else I would be dependent on many things (e.g., meds and even caffeine). I'm not. Not even close. Nor am I addicted. Now, tolerance – that's another story.

And as for you quitting – good for you and good on defending Daniel – it's support that's really important. So please don't take this as an attack on you or any thing of the sort. I am glad you got over it – just stay vigilant of course – oh how the recovered addicts can snap back into the addiction with ease...

Now, as for food binging: it's an eating disorders and its more about control and fear and anxiety. It's a quite dangerous mental illness and it is a different issue entirely and it has nothing to do with being dependent on food – quite honestly, if you think about it we are "all dependent on food" – we have no choice but to eat if we want to live. But that's a different kind of dependence – it's not drug dependence rather than a necessary part of living. As you might be aware, it (binging) often involves purging, too – after the binging which means the food doesn't even supply nutrients or any thing normal that food is meant to. People with eating disorders often end up dying due to their eating habits, even (and obesity is something else entirely, of course).

Anyway, point is drug dependence is quite a bit more than just why you use a drug or why you started it. Why I go after this is perhaps because so many don't understand it and the difference or relation to addiction, and that also goes with people thinking going cold turkey is the only way off (it can in fact kill you with some drugs .. cause seizures.. and many other nasty and dangerous things).

July 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

@The Måd Råp3r: I agree, there's nothing being missed in leaving the alcohol; except perhaps the stupidity one does (and doesn't remember) while being drunk. And Dave B: Congratulations on your 5 years without the booze. May you enjoy many more of them.

July 5, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  153. jim

Ok, then

July 5, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  154. Nick

Cool story, bro!

July 5, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  155. Wake Up.....

yawn.................................................................................oh it's just another boring Canadian depending on the US for defensive security.

July 5, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  156. Cut the Crap

And what does your comment have to do with Daniel Radcliffe and the fact that he is giving up alcohol???!!! TAKE YOUR STUPID COMMENTS ABOUT THE US AND CANADA AND GO TO ANOTHER SECTION OF CNN...

July 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  157. lol

yea definitely so many things Canada made like maple syrup is amazing compared to the car its way better then the light bulb. lol don't say Canada is better then the US because we made all the things that modern people depend on to live their daily lives.

July 5, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  158. RedWings

If I had a haircut like that I would stay drunk too.

July 5, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  159. Happy drunk!

God hates a quitter

July 5, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  160. Matt

What?

July 5, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  161. RedWingsFan

funny...thanks for the laugh.

July 5, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  162. Patrick

by far the best comment on hear... you got a genuine laugh out of me! i think that's lol on the internet... i've heard.

July 5, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  163. Sam

LIKE DEBT! ...........and Nathan's hot dog eating contest.....LOL!

July 5, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  164. huh?

what the hell are you talking about?

July 5, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Mexico Bob

Screw all you Canucks, eh...

July 5, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  166. EARRAH

Or Like Killer Kennedy!

July 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  167. bluemax77

Actually, he’s a Brit...!

July 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  168. benzuda

Wake up yourself, he's British you F*%&ing dolt.

July 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Christopher

Come out of that closet, GG. Stop with the self-hatred and live.

July 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Marilyn

EXACTLY. Not being able to find his way out of the closet....now that's the REAL tragedy.

July 6, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |