Three get canned from Chelsea Handler sitcom
July 4th, 2011

Three get canned from Chelsea Handler sitcom

Viewers haven't had the chance to see Natalie Morales, Angel Laketa Moore or Jo Koy in NBC's comedy "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea," and the network would like to keep it that way.

According to TVLine, the trio of actors were let go from Chelsea Handler's semi-autobiographical sitcom (drawn from her book of the same name) and their characters are heading back to the drawing board.

A spokesperson for the show cites "creative reasons" as to why the three won't be moving forward with the show, which is slated to debut in the midseason.

"That '70s Show" star Laura Prepon, meanwhile, is staying in the lead role of Chelsea Handler. Morales was supposed to play her best friend, whereas Moore and Koy had been tapped to portray her sports bar co-workers. Preview clip is below:

Filed under: television

1. Sweet!!!

Looks great! I cant wait to see it...

August 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kara

I think this is very funny Chelsea Handler kind of stuff. I'd watch it

July 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nicole

Holy crap, this looks awful. I couldn't even watch the entire clip; I got so annoyed! Chelsea Handler is soooo not funny at all, how did she get her own sitcom?! How is she even relevant?

July 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jen

Yuck

July 18, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Vicky

She's moved on from her "networking owning boyfriend" so I'm pretty sure he's not the one keeping her late night show on the air. Her ratings are great and I for one love her show. This one, I'm not sure about...I too don't get her playing her own sister instead of herself. I say play yourself, a'la Charlie Sheen or stay out of the show completely. That's just a little odd and would probably make it hard to concentrate. I love her sarcastic humor though, have read most of her books and will continue doing so.

July 17, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. FU

She won't have her network owning boyfriend around, to save this sinking ship...goodbye Chelsea you later...

July 17, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Oy

Wow. Just when you think TV can't possibly get more trashy, Chelsea drops it to a whole new level. Like, Dante's 7th ring of hell...

July 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Morgan

I have to say, I'm excited to give this series a try. Although, I think getting rid of Jo Koy was a terrible mistake.

July 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dom

I'm just wondering when people are going to realize that she's not funny at all. Wow, you slept with 50 cent and you're a tiny white chick who insults her guests on her show with jokes that aren't even good....yup that deserves a book deal and a sitcom.

July 13, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Harry Merkin

excuse me whos Chelsea Handler? I'v never ever ever heard of her

July 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob berbowski

I think it looks better than 50% of the shows currently on. Replacing Joe koy with a leading man, like Ted Danson on Cheers and you could have something good. Joe Koy isn't the right type.

I wouldn't have Chealsea on at all. That confuses things for the viewer. Replace her with a truly odd sister-in-law ( I love the born again aspect vs. Chelsa's persona) and then I'd put my money on it.

– Bob Berbowski

July 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Liz in PA

Are they really making a Chelsea Handler sitcom? Ugh.

July 8, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lorena

Is Jo koy playing a gay role. Everyone is Overacting. The star of the show

July 6, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. Brandy

Bummed about Jo Koy, I love him! Stupid NBC.

Hope the show does well, I'm excited for a female centered comedy that FOR ONCE isn't about babies/getting married/wanting babies & marriage. SNORE.

July 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sergito

Poor Jo Koy – he just gets so disrespected. The NBC show will probably tank anyway – who cares........

July 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Owen

Well, once again, NBC is living up to its acronym: Nothing But Crap.

July 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. tessa

Jo Koy is far too annoying, too over exposed already on Chelsea's shows. Better hope this one is better than "After Lately", the biggest flop I've seen. I love Chelsea's humor, but hate the silly, annoying path she seems headed.

July 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina D

The only reason I was going to watch it was to see Joe Koy. Can"t stand Laura Prepon. I think it will be very hard to imagine her as Chelsea. They look nothing alike, and having Chelsea on there as someone else will only make it more ridiculous. I love Chelsea's show as what it is fluff. I don't see how you can get another show out of that fluff.

July 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. The Hamburglar

Robble Robble

July 5, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. derrickfinley

It is a comedy about a 20-something woman, played by former That 70′s Show star, Laura Prepon, who has a life-changing realization, as described by IMDb. http://bit.ly/jmqKvT

July 5, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  20. Jon

Of COURSE the show is doomed - who gives a flying hell what Chelsea Handler can dream up/what she's about? Entirely too annoying, barely funny.....but maybe with others writing, something could work.

July 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • SABuckeye

Exactly. Chelsea Handler isn't even funny. She's like a watered down Lewis Black, but not near as funny. Her other show(s) already reek.

July 9, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. serious

The show seems doomed from the beginning. Might as well can it now.

July 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. yo mama

Perhaps the show could get Chelsea's friend Jennifer Aniston for the show!!!! With the poor box office and bad reviews of Anistons last several films the producers could probably get her for a real good price!!!

July 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Janice McCreery

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. bob

Looks absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gigi

Headline should read..."All three minority actors given the boot."

July 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • tessa

obviously you don't know anything about chelsea handler, pulling the oh so tired race card, jeeze, do people like you have a life outside of criticism and whining?

July 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  26. DARTH VADER

female 2 and a half men

2 episodes,and it's gone

July 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Loud_Noizes

I am not sure what to make of any of this. I kind of wish Chelsea was playing herself, instead of her sister...

July 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • colleen

Agreed. I hate to admit I probably won't be watching this. Wish I wanted to.

July 5, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |