'Bridesmaids' becomes top R-rated female comedy
July 4th, 2011

'Bridesmaids' becomes top R-rated female comedy

"Bridesmaids" is climbing the box office charts like a tree.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Judd Apatow sleeper hit, which has proven that crass is not just for the boys, has surpassed "Sex and the City" as the top grossing R-rated female comedy.

The publication reported that through Sunday "Bridesmaids" had earned $152.9 million domestically, just edging out "Sex and the City," which earned $152.6 million.

The film also earned the distinction of becoming Apatow's top-grossing film to date, overtaking "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," which he produced, and "Knocked Up," which he directed and produced.

Those films earned $148.2 million and $148.8 million respectively.

Filed under: movies

1. Greenhouse Studios

If you enjoy movies like Bridesmaids, you should check out Greenhouse Studio's (@GHStudiosLLC) "Trimmers," about a comical group of women working in an upscale sewing boutique are laid off. They soon find themselves in the world of marijuana growers as leaf trimmers on the hidden farms throughout the country. For more information, you can visit http://greenhousestudios.net/trimmers/.

July 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. saftgek

Interesting how so many posting on the movie are making reference to "Hangover" films. They are arguably some of the trashiest fliks in recent filmdom, except for adolescent males.

As to the British siblings, they were critical to the story – reference the "crash" Annie experienced in the 2nd half of the story.

As to the police officer, what a novel addition to the film. He demonstrated there could be a stabilizing aspect to Annie's downward spiral in life.

If you haven't seen it, please do – fun flik.

July 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hadenough

Not surprised as America sinks deeper into a slough of filth and depravity where the KarTRASHians, Snooki, Kathy Griffin and Kendra are role models.

July 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeanne

Seriously? I walked out of this movie. I hate sad sacks and that is what Kristen Wiggs character was

July 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shannon

Funniest movie I have seen in a looooooong time!! I will see it again!

July 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Keith

I thought this movie was pretty funny. But like all Judd Apatow movies it needed a better editor. The movie should have been about 100 minutes long, not 124. The British roommates could've been cut completely. Some scenes with the police officer had to go. And Jon Hamm was underused. He's arguably the biggest TV star in the world and he's reduced to 2 scenes.

July 5, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pedro

My favorite part of the movie was when that one girl was like hey, its my wedding & the other girls was like, so we can have fun & the one girl was like bachlelorette party & the one girls like cool & they went to that place & did that thing & the one girl was like wow this is cool & the other girl liked it too & they were like whoah this is cool &the one girls didnt have as much fun but in the end they all had fun.

July 5, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. jakers

The only thing I laughed at was the thought of going to this movie.

July 5, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. carolnc

A silly, shallow movie. I chuckled twice and that's it.

July 5, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. saftgek

Very funny flik. It is rare, even in the funniest of films, that one experiences continual laughter.

In addition to the humor, there is a friend-induced epiphany for the female lead. Nice Touch.

Do see this film, but empty your bladder first to avoid voiding in the auditorium. (;-)

July 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rebecca

Hysterical! Go see this movies it's not just a check flick
    To ELM.....you are an IDIOT!

July 5, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. mejazzbo

Anyone who thinks "Bridesmaids" is even close to being as funny as "Hangover", needs to have their funny bone checked. Kristen Wiig is highly over rated. Every year a SNL player is shoved down America's throat as the funniest person alive. It just isn't so no matter how massively promoted.

July 5, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Ahnold

I agree. I wasted money on this film & probably laughed for a total of 2 minutes. Everyone said this was the female version of the Hangover, Its not even close.

July 5, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. terry

I also found the movie to be very lesbionic. But what's wrong with that?

July 5, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Omarrrrr

I am a guy, and found this movie a lot funnier than Hangover 1 and especially Hangover 2. More believeable and naturally funny. Wasn't over the top. Great great movie.

July 5, 2011 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steevo

I'm still wondering what the term 'female comedy' means, anyway.

July 5, 2011 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Atexasdream@yahoo.com

One of the funniest movies I've seen I thought it was going to be beyond lame but loved it I was crying from laughing so hard awesome movie..

July 5, 2011 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
  17. yeahguys

Best movie ever! I loved every moment of it. It should seriously be considered as the greatest comedy film in the history of cinema; perhaps of all genres of film. Perfection, Virtuoso! I'll pray for every citizen of Earth to watch it!

July 5, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. JusSayin

Brides' Head Revisited was not what I was expecting, so I will not waste my money or time on this film.

July 5, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  19. Pam

This movie was hilarious and seriously, fairly realistic. Women aren't always sweetness and light...we can curse like sailors and be royal witches. Totally a female empowered movie....my boyfriend and I laughed until there were tears in our eyes. So way to go!! I'll buy it for sure but maybe not let my nieces watch it anytime soon!!

July 5, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  20. carrie

I took my 15 year old daughter and her friends to see this and was bored silly. they loved it but i would have much rather have seen Super 8 again-that's a good movie. we just have different tastes in movies.

July 5, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  21. jakers

Lezzers

July 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. tater tot

who the heck is tranny? i mean timmie?

July 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. to

bridesmaids is the worst movie ive ever seen i walked out after 40 minutes it was torture watching it

July 4, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ricb C

Uuugh.....isn't "A Judd Apatow movie" enough of a hint that this movie sucks? I don't understand the love this POS gets.....its not that funny and about 45 minutes too long. I mean, honestly.... It had a few funny moments, but are women this desperate for a female comedy?

July 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. madhater

I believe Kristin Wiig was a co-writer.

July 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Pubeefa

The moving was howlingly funny. I laughed until I drooled.

July 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  27. timmie2

They like beans n stuff. les beans.

July 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. timmie

lezzers is meeeeean.

July 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mrssethmeyers

I have not seen this movie, but was dying to because I love Wiig and Rudolph. I'm hopin its as funny as everyone says. @ timmie-lesbians? Really? Get a life hater and learn how to spell

July 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlene

It is so funny.... But don't let people ruin it for you. Bring a Kleenex for one or two scenes.....

July 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Believer

I guess I won't pick on Timmy.

July 4, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jakers

Timmie is a genious for his failure to use proper grammer and dissing his obvious and ever formidable opponent...the lezzers

July 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Ruth A Farella

Hello! I never got a Bridemaid. My big sister is married and wqent to elope. My big brother is not married. So, I never got a Bridemaid. Some lucky and some are not lucky. Take care and "smile".

July 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. JLS639

"the Judd Apatow sleeper hit"

Sleeper? This movie was heavily promoted and before its release I was reading speculation that it could be the summer's greatest hit comedy. If this is a "sleeper," then the term has lost all its original meaning.

Bridesmaids is really a tragedy, in a way. The best scene was the toasting scene where Annie and Helen compete for status as Lillian's best friend and try to outdo each other. That is the kind of writing and acting that separates great movies from successful ones that will be all but forgotten in 10 years. I have complete sympathy for those who were turned off by the gross-out and shock value humor.

I do like that a movie is not wasting actresses' comedic talent on exclusively supporting roles or romantic comedy, but I feel it is unfortunate that movies written for feminine raunch do so much better commercially than cleverly written films requiring more acting skill like Juno, The Kids Are All Right or Easy A, to name a few. Yes, I know those were all successful, but none to the degree of a lowest common denominator Apatow raunch-fest relying on crude, easy laugh slapstick, shock value and awkwardness in lieu of excellent writing and acting. Occasionally you get a non-raunch, non-romantic comedy film that does not waste good actress talent and does very well commercially like The Devil Wears Prada, but that is an unfortunately rare exception.

July 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • JoshH

Well said.

July 5, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Buster

oh, boo hoo, Junior Mint! maybe after a long week of work, not everyone goes to see a movie for Art value. maybe we just want to laugh really hard. and if laughter is the best medicine, i think i gained 6 months of life from this movie...

July 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sylvia Saint

A total meaningless statistic (based on ever rising ticket prices) designed so that Hollywood can keep claiming that movie "X" is the most popular ever

July 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. trish

Not hysterically funny, but nonetheless a hit! Loved it! Loved that it showed a "real" side to the fairytale.

July 4, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Meghan

I loved this movie. It was way better than the Hangover 2. Women need more raunchy movies. And in no way does this movie have anything to do with lesbians. You don't watch the Hangover, with a group of men and assume they're gay. And pertaining to the overweight actress- its real life. Not all women are drop dead gorgeous models.

July 4, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Words

I liked the beefy woman . She made the movie and the rich lady was a hoot as well. Perfect date movie

July 4, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. The Måd Råp3r

Jane Austens Fight Club was far superior.

July 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. spell checker

Timmie likes "lesBEANS" Ha ha! C'mon Timmie! I feel ashamed to know you....

July 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Thanos

If you like watching a person having a nervous breakdown then you'll find this movie funny. It had maybe two funny moments in the whole movie and both of them involved people crapping on themselves. Sorry but a bunch of women throwing the F bomb around is not funny and the fat babe in the movie was just gross. They tried to make a Hangover clone and failed mightily because the women in the movie were just bitter and catty.

July 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. spell checker

It MUST be the alcohol, seems like pretty much everyone posting CAN'T SPELL!!!

July 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  42. flylove

Timmie needs to use spell check.

July 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

You are assuming Timmie Tim Timster knows how to use spell check- or better yet knows how to spell Spell Check!!! I wonder if Apple has a Neanderthal App??? Perhaps Timmie should look into that :)

July 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. steve

I loved this movie. One of the funniest I have ever seen. I was surprised how hard I laughed along with the people in the audience. I put this one on par with the 40 year old virgin.

July 4, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ilovetimmie

Timmie you are the greatest! Sounds like you have a hankering for a little girl on girl action...a little forbidden love...a little donut bumpin?

July 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  45. poohpooh

Timmie is a lesbian.

July 4, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Now that isn't right!! Timmie isn't even fit to be a Lesbian!!! Timmy= not so bright! Timmy should find something else to do with his time. Timmie doesn't really deserve all of the time including mine that has been given to him. Timmie=needs to get a life me thinks!!

July 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. bella

funny funny movie i l.o.l soooo funny.i like lesbians to....

July 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. darkdove63

Timmie is a moron. And, we, the lesbeans, acknowledge his right to his own opinion no matter how close-minded it may be.

July 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. jerry

I like lesbians.

July 4, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Itsamemario

yea i think im gonna get out now

July 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Lauren

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen! And unfortunately for you Timmie, not about lesbians:))

July 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  51. booradley

timmie,it's okay, you can get out from under that rock you've been hiding.

July 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. john

great movie!!! loved it. screw Hangover 2

July 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Rand

Ummmmmm you 2 with the lesbian comments should see the movie before making comments that make you look stupid. Had zero expectations when I went with my wife. One of the funniest movies I've seen.

July 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • et

Rand, I completely agree, knew nothing about it and loved it!! Better than hangover 2.

July 5, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jennlynn

Timmie- u r an idiot......

July 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Greg

ooooo, lesbians...yummy

July 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  56. meg

Well Timmie- I suppose one could sit here and say that your an idiot- that would be easy! But instead lets actually talk about the movie- one you OBVIOUSLY haven't seen. It was the best female movie I have EVER seen. In fact it is one of the funniest movies have ever seen. Now Timmie- you probably will say that I am a lesbian-since that is the only way a woman that could enjoy such a movie-but I am far from it- not that there is anything wrong with that anyways. What I find more disturbing is your lack of grammar and the actaul use of the english language- Timmie you really do give guys a bad rap- next time go see a movie you wish to see- or better yet-find something better to do!!

July 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  57. kimbolina98

You are unable to spell lesbian and American so you are an idiot. In addition the movie is not gay it is about bridesmaids in the hetero tradition. Women are and can be funny. Deal with it.

July 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Gawd

Actually, a woman didn't write the movie. Thus the reason why this movie is funny.

July 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  59. The Måd Råp3r

Who let you back in the house, meg?

July 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Alicea

Actually Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumalo, two women, did write the movie.

July 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  61. JLS639

The woman who played Annie and the woman who played the lady on the plane sitting beside Annie wrote most or all of the dialogue. Given the sort of movie Bridesmaids is (built around the dialogue), I would say that women wrote the script.

July 4, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Bob

Last I checked, Kristen Wiig is a woman. She co-wrote it.

July 5, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  63. Rebecca

Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumalo wrote this movie so check your facts before you open your trap!

July 5, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |