Time runs out for two on 'SYTYCD'
July 1st, 2011

Time runs out for two on 'SYTYCD'

Thursday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" left this viewer puzzled.

The choice for which female contestant to eliminate seemed obvious – after a sub-par performance on Wednesday night and a solo that was anything but "dance-for-your-life" worthy, it looked like Ashley was on her way out.

Don't get me wrong, I've sung Ashley's praises on this blog before (her performance in last week's jailhouse routine alone...), but this was just not her week. The other two, Miranda and Caitlynn, had excellent performances and terrific solos.

But when it came to decision time, Nigel decided to lose Miranda. He made sure to note that the decision was not unanimous (I'm guessing Kristin Chenoweth might have been the holdout), but there wasn't too much of an explanation given, probably due to time.

The choice between guys was not as obvious, but Chris had really not made too much of an impression on me. His solo was quite good, but so were the solos from Mitchell and Robert.

As feared, once Miranda's elimination was announced, the judges unanimously decided to say goodbye to the "Woo Man" (but not before Nigel told Chris, not Robert, that his woodpecker routine was great the week before - oops). It seems that he had just spent one week too long in the bottom three. Robert gave a short, uplifting speech to everyone before one final "Wooooo" from everyone in the audience.

I understand that one week is not all that's taken into account by the judges, but at the same time, it was clear which couple had a bad week. It's not as though the others had bad weeks.

On the bright side, both of the guest performances this week, by Axis (which combines disabled and able-bodied dancers) and the pair of Eric Luna and Georgia Ambarian, were incredible. The latter was otherworldly, it was so good.

Also on the bright side, I'm glad to see that Jess and Ryan continue to get support from the voters. I was a little nervous that either of their routines might land them in the bottom.

Do you agree that it was Ashley and Chris' time to go, or do you think the judges were right to interpret the will of the voters as they did? Share your view on iReport or comment below.

1. jujubeans

I can't believe the kicked off Juwanda and not Loqueesha!

July 7, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tim

Can't believe they let Miranda go, will not be watching show anymore

July 7, 2011 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nicole

I have been waiting for these two to go home for a while; the only time i liked Miranda was when she was doing her solos. As for Robert, I was shocked he made it in the first place; I will say that if Ashley doesn't step it up she will be next.

July 6, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. sasha

I wonder which guy will win this year? Ever since season 2 there has been alternating perfection of guy then girl then guy again. (Don't believe me, take a look back on wiki). Last year was female, so its a guys year this year. Also anyone else disappointed in the lack of variance in the females. Save for iveta (sp?) all the women are all contemp or jazz, no diversity. The men have contemp, tap, broadway, hip hop. It seems like each year the female talent has been whittling down more and more. Soon they will have to change the name to :"So Contemporary Dancers Think They Can Dance...to other styles"

July 2, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Caroline

I am so upset that they kicked Miranda off. I liked Robert, but dance-wise he didn't have the chops. On the other hand, Miranda has been great in every number, and her solo has me yelling "wow" over and over in my living room. Her personality is open and relatable. I can't think of what they found lacking. And Ashley danced around like she was having fun in her back yard. If it was really about not breaking couples up, that's a travesty. I've always trusted these judges to make better choices than the public (12 yr olds voting like crazy), but they seriously got this one WRONG.

July 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wendy S

Sending Miranda home was a poor choice, she never got a chance to dance in her own style (same as Ashley and Clarice), but I feel that her performances have still been better than Ashley. I wish they would change up the partnering, it does chance the loss of chemistry between partners, but it would give the dancers a better chance of proving that they are good enough to pair with anyone.

July 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wendy

This was NOT the right choice at all! I was and am shocked! I am completely confused by this!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dtcpr

I was shocked that they sent Miranda home, she was a beautiful dancer. Much better than Ashley they really should have sent her home! I would have liked them to send Chris home as well. Overall the dances were all so amazing on Wednesday night. the one person i wish i could chuck off the show is Jess. He is SO annoying! Constantly mugging to the camera (in an annoyinly immature way) I cannot stand him and it always seems like his partner can't either, but their Fox Trot was ridiculous so i knew there was no chance there... oh well here's hoping that a**hole goes home.

July 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. lynara

I thought for sure Ashley was going home. She didn't dance for her life, as far as I was concerned. It was a toss-up between Robert and Chris. This just gets more difficult each week.

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Orikes

They seem really reluctant to split up couples this year. I also think Ashley should have been the one to go. Her solo was the weakest of all the girls. It didn't upset me that Robert went, but it didn't seem fair to Miranda that she had to go when he went.

My biggest worry was that Caitlyn and Mitchell might go. They're one of my favorite couples. I thought their Samba was really good considering how far out of their styles they were and last week was a performance that's going to be repeated at the finale.

July 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. @ pedro

Your on a roll today! LMAO !

July 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pedro

I was hoping that the 1 girl with the legs would have won, but the other girl with the long hair did have a good preformance. Then that 1 guy with the elbows did a fantastic job & thought he should have definately beat that 1 guy with the knees. But that one jusge with the teeth thought that the girl with the toes & the guy with the ankles did a much better job. But I'll be rooting for the girl with the lips & that one guy with the shoulders to win it all.

July 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jo

I thought that Ashley should have been sent home too. I was very surprised it was Miranda and I think the judges will regret that decision. I wasn't sure about the guys, but I'm okay with Robert being dismissed.

July 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 3 left feet

Rumor has it that Nigel was actually the one that wanted to keep Miranda. I would have sent Ashley home.

July 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kk

I love this show! But I agree, Ashley should have been sent home instead of Miranda. That was a bad call from the judges. The "Woo-Man" time was up and I think he knew that.

July 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. comment

Miranda was one of my top two girls. I was actually surprised to see both my favorites (the other being Caitlynn) in the bottom. Considering the reviews Chris and Ashley got the day before, I was pretty sure at least Ashley was going to go. I have a feeling though that the judges may have decided on the guys first since that one was unanimous. Since the judges are also notorious for letting couples go in the beginning because they don't want to split people up, then really the only girl they'd send home is Miranda.

I love Ashely and all. but Miranda showed one of the things SYTYCD represents, growth. She pretty much wowed everyone with every performance, and Nigel even said that, the last tiem she was in the bottom is how one should dance for their lives, and she did it again this week.

As much as I don't like seeing Miranda in the bottom, I have an inkling that she kept ending up there because people aren't voting for Robert. Yes he's got a ton of personality, but even I got tired of all his Woo-ing by the time Vegas came around.

July 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Travis

Eh, I was fine with Robert going honestly, I'm bummed that he went out after a pretty decent performance but I don't think his dancing is as good as the rest of the guys...including Chris.

I hate to agree with you about Ashley though. I love that girl, I do! But this years females are INCREDIBLE [I'm still bitter about Iveta but I digress]. She just wasn't as good, plain and simple, she is amazing...but the least amazing out of the rest. Sending Miranda home was a mistake.

July 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Lisa

I definitely agree with you. It was Ashley and Chris' time to go. After gushing about Miranda each week, why on EARTH did they let her go?!

July 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. weinerschnitzel

I didnt know they had drag-queens on this show.

July 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |