Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock
July 1st, 2011

Royal fever: Princess Diana, Prince Harry and another wedding

It’s been two months since the world paused to watch the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge marry, but royal fever is still raging.

While we’ve always been a little (perhaps begrudgingly) infatuated with the monarchy across the pond, our interest lately has been piqued with even the tiny details –- the desire to dress like Kate Middleton had buyers in such a frenzy they once crashed a website for hours.

But today, the royal cup overflows. Not only do we have another wedding on our hands, but it’s also what would’ve been the late Princess Diana’s 50th birthday. Let the royal chatter begin:

• Monaco's Prince Albert, the only son of the late Prince Rainier and Princess Grace, has had a wedding of his own. The 53-year-old tied the knot with former Olympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock in a civil ceremony at the palace on Friday afternoon. The couple later settled in for a picnic outside the palace as musician Jean Michel Jarre performed. On Saturday the two will have a religious ceremony, an official dinner and a fireworks display.
  • Meanwhile, the royal couple that captivated our attention on April 29 have been busily traveling on their royal tour. William and Kate stopped in Ottawa on Thursday and are also on hand to help celebrate Canada Day today. Once they're done up north, they're heading to California for three days.
  • Also arriving just in time for Diana’s 50th is acclaimed writer Monica Ali’s novel “Untold Story,” which imagines what would’ve happened if Diana hadn't been killed in a car crash in 1997. In Ali’s imagination, this Diana flees England and resumes life with a new identity in a small American town.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. scrapbooking designs

Hi marquee.blogs.cnn.com. I'm new here and I'm having complications coming up with new pages for a scrapbook I'm working on. I just can't think of ideas perfect now. Any suggestions on where I might have the ability to uncover some scrapbooking sketches?

July 7, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Swearengen

The whole idea of a monarchy is offensive to me and should be to any intelligent free thinking human.

July 4, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. irene

Shame on you for glamoriousing thieves. The continent of Asia was taken over the british thugs, and still today our assest, and our work is supproting them. The queen have sitll not given back India the Kohinoor. Lot of us were murdered, stolen, destroyed, so they thieves can decendent live with galmour. They came as merchant and destroy our country, fueling discrimination, and relgious riots. They are the one respossible for the turmoil in the world. Still today the kings and queen benefit from the wars, immigrations. Why are you not exposing the truth. Are you not tired of being a slave, indengent servant. These kings and queens are responsible for destruction, killing, they have not done a single deed for the earth except destroying and steeling, Please do the right thing

July 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. American Citizen

Well done.

July 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sum of Squares

Weddings are nice. They go "From Honeymoon to Honey-Do!"

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxcLGmutSw&w=640&h=390]

July 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dfkjlgdkjsgh

Koreans eat dogs

July 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john

I am old enough to know the history of the world. you go girl. Go kiss their a@#

July 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

The British 'royals' colonized half the world, committed probably the worst atrocities known to humankind. How is that nobody seems to remember that. Would you celebrate of the next generation of osama bin laden.

I think the current royals are good people and their ancestors were victim of the situation. But they dont deserve this respect to say the least. Just an other perspective

July 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Garfinkle Von Snooty Snoot

Seriously, what does Monaco have to do with anything anymore? Other than a place for the rich to park their boats and hide their money what does the monarchy actually represent?

July 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Oh Cheers

Diana, the People's Princess, certainly was a treasure. And I treasure her memory. I made a tribute to honour her: http://bit.ly/kOvxmf

July 2, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. lived well

I I agree about the pop up ads on CNN – horrible.

July 2, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. dave nelson

I was not trying to be funny. I was merely pointing out that while she was a very attractive woman on the outside, she was even more so on the inside. She was so much more than just a pretty face, and that is not something you find every day. In truth, i would have liked to have met mother teresa as well. She was the epitome of the power within us all to change the course of the world for the better. Her inner beauty was like a beacon to those who chose to see it.

July 2, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. dave nelson

I do not particularly care about recent or upcoming royal weddings, but will not begrudge those who do. I will say that i would have loved to have met the late diana, who seemed to be a particularly charming and intelligent lady with a powerful will to do things for the benefit of those less fortunate. It did not hurt matters, of course, that she was also quite lovely with a beautifully winning smile and very kind eyes.

July 2, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. isaelle

I see lots of divorce in the future of harry! Pippa should be harrys lady! 2 show caty that she can 2 get a prince! Pippa is prettier than cate! But destiny is destiny right ! Cate got will 1onder who pippa will get?

July 1, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. juniper

It would scare the snot out of me if I saw Princess DI. She has been gone over 10 years. She seemed like an incredible lady, but still. I think it would be kind of creepy for her to just show up looking like a zombie and trying to munch on everyones brains. I dont have many brains already. If she was to eat what few i have my teacher would be really mad when i start back to school next month. She would be asking if i finished our summer reading list and I would just make funny noises like aaarrrrr and roooo. I wouldnt be able to help it though because Princess Di had eated my brains.

July 1, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bob

I've got a fever. and the only prescription is.....MORE ROYAL WEDDINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

The new moving pop up ads on the CNN home page are very irritating.

July 2, 2011 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I left something that looked like a Royal in the commode this morning. Felt much better afterwards and no fever to report.

July 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • kit gainer

I think Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin had the proper prescription for royal fever.

July 3, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sheryl

Good grief! How old are you? 13?? Disgusting.

July 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |