Elijah Wood on his post-'LOTR' slump
July 1st, 2011

Elijah Wood on his post-'LOTR' slump

Playing Frodo in the "Lord of the Rings" movies was a career highlight for Elijah Wood. In fact, the actor says he became a bit depressed when filming on the trilogy ended.

"I was 18 when I traveled to New Zealand, and I was about 20 when I left," he tells New York Magazine's Vulture. "Coming home, I just remember everything feeling kind of foreign. I didn't really know what to do with my time. It was really bizarre. I was more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. I remember feeling like I didn't want to do anything for a while."

Wood adds that he also "just didn't have any perspective on my life anymore, what that was about. It's kind of an unsettled feeling. It's like existing in a place and then being ripped out of it when that place was your home, it was your everything to you for a long time. Sixteen months is a long time."

Not surprisingly, Wood is thrilled to be reprising his role for the upcoming "The Hobbit" films and reuniting with former cast mates Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett, and Orlando Bloom.

"It's exciting because it just feels like a ten-year anniversary in a way. A family reunion of sorts," he says of the two-part movie adaptation. "And it's incredibly unique that a large number of people who were involved with the 'Rings' are involved with 'The Hobbit': on the crew, on a creative level, and a number of the cast. So it's going to be very surreal. It's a unique opportunity to revisit a major part of my life."

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" will hit theaters on December 14, 2012, with “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” arriving on December 13, 2013.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Greyhelm

I don't understand how Elijah can be in this movie. Frodo is 30 in the LOTR which is 60 years after The Hobbit. Can't wait to see it though.

July 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HobbitBobbit

Why would he depressed?? He was excellent in all the Spider Man series... "Buzzsaw is READY!!"

July 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. youngdiddy

wow speechless am i did number 99 commenter just say he played jack sparrow surely that statement was made for comic relief when any one who has seen the pirate movies knows it to have been johnny depp

July 4, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. AlbusPWBD

Wood's did a great job in Sin City. If you haven't seen his scenes in this you're missing out.

July 4, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Heather

I used to have a major crush on him when I was a kid lol.

July 4, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. jesus

If they throw all of the Christians into the Atlantic and just one of them can walk on water, maybe then I'll listen.

July 4, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. DonJJ

I'll always remember Wood as the penguin from "Happy Feet".

July 4, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. lola

One question for you @Jerk: since you say Michael Bay cant direct his way out of a wet paper bag, maybe thats why we havent seen any movies about wet paper bags?

July 4, 2011 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Michael Bay can't direct his way out of a wet paper bag because you can't light a fuse in there. No explosions, no movie.

July 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. grandpa leroy james jackson III

lotr was aite

July 4, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. PhilG.

A likeable actor stcuk in Hobbit Hell.

Good luck Elijah-save all the money you made for later-don't spend it all now.

You'll probably need it-Hollywood's worldwide have a short memory once you've become typecast.

July 3, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pippie

elijah was great planning jack sparrow in all the pirates movies. he shouldnt have to worry.

July 3, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. super woman

What is wrong with you guys? so crude, so obnoxious...

July 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. super woman

Wow

July 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KG

I laugh when these people state that christians are unintelligent. is that because we dont believe that we made it here by accident? no no your totally right, buying the theory that some star dust randomly exploding over billions of years ago and magically evolving into the extremely complex human beings is much easier to grasp.......idiot.

July 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Secularosity

No, your beliefs are way more reasonable. Some magical, all-powerful, infinitely old man who lives in the sky created everything on a whim. But where did he come from? Stardust? You hypocritical moron.

July 17, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Patrice

Jdog...your an ass an have no appreciation for great filming. The special effects, the make up artists, the whole Trilogy is very well done and I can't wait till the Hobbit hits theaters... I had the record/story book to it and still do.

July 3, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. dave nelson

The ones showing no respect on here are the same ones who whine to everyone within earshot when it is not given to them. They would have to evolve quite a bit to elevate themselves to troll status.

July 3, 2011 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. papabear

I have a lot of gay friends, i come from a strongly christian fanily... but im neither of those two things, i also have 2 cousins who are "special" but i have no problem with the word retarded.... so once everyone is like me, these rediculous arguments will stop :)

July 3, 2011 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. Roni

Thank God I don't drink anymore! I'd either be feeling sorry 4 myself like Woods or be out on a mission to kick some hobbit ass :-}

July 3, 2011 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. nerp

Parents+trueblood=ew. dammit.

July 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nerp

Dudes, you never fail to crack me up!! So like, does anyone remember "American Juniors"? I swear it was real some point in time...... or was it....... hmmmmmmm.... what– no, I think it was.

July 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. The Måd Råp3r

This guy was awesome as Spider Man!!!

July 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. aj

Wow! Already?

July 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mr. Magoo

Anything that anyone finds offensive was once commonly accepted until some retard decided to get butt hurt over it. Then his disease was spread to other retards who were not happy without drama in their silly lives. Ignore the retards, they're just begging for attention.

July 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. madhater

Dave Nelson thinks he is a genious, but he is really retarded! Good job in that Beastie Boys vid Elijah!

July 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Travis

One time I told this retarded girl I mean "special" girl from the neighborhood she had a bug go in her pants.She took off her clothes and started running around yelling lol. We sure did have a good laugh. :)

July 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ron

Elijah needs to do what Daniel Radcliff did and break his connection with a set of movies. If all he is ever thought of is a "hobbett" he will fade into the dust. When Daniel decided to do Equus (including it's nude scenes) he broke all ties with Harry Potter and became Daniel Radcliffe.

So far Elijah is too connected with being a hobbit...... no director will take him seriously as an actor until he is Elijah the actor...... not Elijah the hobbitt.

July 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dr. Roxo

IDO COCAAAAAAAAAAIN!

July 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Erbs

Wonder when he will come out of the closet. All gay people know he is gay.

July 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dave nelson

@rasalom: tell you what. bet i could get you to eat dog feces too. right before i take you on a one way trip to the glades. punk troll/

July 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ryan

the lord of the rings trilogy is without a doubt the most well done structure and imaginative film of ots kind. the actors and storyline were well done and are extremely nice. time and time again the amount of effort is unbelievable. for example the town hobbitton took and year and a half to create and biuld

July 2, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. bezerkur

u haters are obviously jersey shore fans with the I.Q to match. shouldnt u wannabe hood rats be watching M.T.V and having circle jerks with ur pathetic friends. im not even going to explain why these stories have a connection to many people. its beyond ur comprehension. do the human race a favor and dont have kids. better yet go kill ur friends and ur family then urself as horrible as possible. save me the trouble. now run along trick.

July 2, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  32. johnnyb

Where's ManBearPig when you need him???

July 2, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  33. ELMO RIFFCAN

I like to bring back characters from old movies it sorta like bringing back the dead. The movies today lack characters worth remembering.

July 2, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  34. Rasalom

Hey @dave, when i was young I convinced the "special" kid two houses down to eat a pile of dog feces sayin it was chocolate pudding. How awesome is that!?!

July 2, 2011 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

RASALOM IS PROUD TO ABUSE THE MENTALY CHALLENGED. Grow up ass#0!e, that's nothing to be proud of

July 2, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  35. Rasalom

Retard

July 2, 2011 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  36. dave nelson

Anyway, i too hope that they do not stray far from the book, but there is little hope of that, what with time constraints and all. It would be good if they included any deleted scenes into the DVD once it is released, though.

July 2, 2011 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  37. Rasalom

There's only one Return, and its not of the King. It's of the Jedi! You thought the Star Wars prequels sucked? At least they weren't LOTR. Is he finally gonna make out with Sam in this one?

July 2, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  38. dave nelson

I am not generally politically correct, and very little offends me. However, there are certain words and phrases that i prefer people not use. Retard would be one of them, and i ask that you please not use that word. My mother babysat special needs children when i was young. She showed me that each of them had a unique gift that offset whatever they were lacking. I loved those kids. My neighbor has a special needs child. 14 and partially autistic, with the mind of a six year old, she is one of the most loving children i have ever had the privilege of knowing. To call her a retard would be a great disservice, as it would for anyone who was not born the same as others.

July 2, 2011 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. jerk

Micheal bay couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag.

July 2, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  40. The Enri

Any funny comments I find here are getting posted on twitter. And I have found some. Also... you could compare the opposing viewpoints of Christians and Gays to that of the Elves and the Humans in LOTR.

July 2, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  41. Orc #63

I get it.

July 2, 2011 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  42. wowowow

really?

July 2, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  43. wowowow

i would just like to point out that having an argument on the internet is alot like running a race in the special olympics... even if you win, your still a retard.

July 2, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  44. Snagglepuss

Rain is good. we need rain

July 2, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  45. Rad

That's not even Elijah Woods, he killed himself after the finishing the Lord of the Rings movies.

July 2, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  46. dretta

the LOTR movies are still more faithful to the books than the harry potter movies will ever be... and isn't just a movie after movie of spiralling teen angst. medivel fantasy will always rock compared to that tween magic crap...

July 2, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  47. alecia

Mike, David Faustino was Bud on married with children. I grew up in the middle of nowhere so i did watch too much tv and dont have to utilize google for that. Btw, bad spellers of the world untie!

July 2, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. Name*david

I hope they follow the book and don't change so much of it.

July 2, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  49. dave nelson

Oh, to those who say the bible is fake: i beg to differ. The bible is a very real book, with cover, pages, and even ink. Now, the stories in it are plagiarized or made up out of whole cloth. Dont believe me? Read the stories from religions predating christianity.

July 1, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dave nelson

@ jdog: you try getting up at 4 in the morning to in have people put uncomfortable goo on your face, then work a sixteen to twenty hour day in said goo and then comment. Or am i wrong and you are a drag escort and do that now? @mike: i know all the shared looks were kinda much, but we are talking about a movie series that was over extended in more ways than one. Plus the director was trying to convey the strengthening of the bond between them. A little slack, perhaps, can be given by you on this one?

July 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  51. mike

I wonder if the end of this movie will be as bad as return of the king, half an hour of frodo and sam locking eyes lol. if it is I pass. Ill just watch some netflix instead

July 1, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jen

He is soooo hot and a good actor. I look forward to seeing him acting again. It's gonna be an awesome movie just like the others.

July 1, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Lobster fstbingdcot

My cooch has prolapsed again. And it itches.

July 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  54. mike

lol

July 1, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jason

It surprises me that some people say christians are intolerant or narrow-minded but then these, many times, are the same people that convey hatred or a lack of freedom for someone else to express an opinion that differs from their own. It always amazes me that many of these threads turn into an arena to express one's distaste for someone different then they are and then try to justify their opinion with more hatred.

July 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. alecia

Sorry friend78, MArk-Paul Gosselaar was Zack on saved by the bell.

July 1, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  57. alecia

There is a small club of directors and producers around who are talented enough to coax great movies out of their casts and Peter Jackson is one. As are JJ Abrams, Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg.

July 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael Bay really knows how to dumb it down

MIchael Bay in that group? Seriously?

July 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. friend78

I thought Elijah was great when he played Zack on saved by the bell.

July 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. kay

Frodo died for your sins folks. Don't you forget that.

July 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  60. oranges

How many times is Elijah going to resurrect his career?
    Pretty eyes, though.

July 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  61. kay

I forgot my deodorant today. I love the Lord.

July 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  62. izz

Yeap

July 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. The Bloke

Green Street Hooligans was a great movie, so was Everything Illuminated.

July 1, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Submansully

He has the same feeling you get after a deployment. I guess he would be like an actor who had been deployed to Middle Earth.

July 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Brick

My prolapse itches.

July 1, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Giampaolo

A shame that Jackson is doing these movies too. Now he can once again take the most riveting storytelling and turn it into a 3 hour snooz-athon mixed in with poorly crafted dramatic sappiness.

July 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. todd indy

its orc not ork

July 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  68. alecia

David Faustino was the son on married with children you yahoo!

July 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Argle Bargle

(Pssst) alecia! That's Cletus. He still thinks Alf is real and that Mr Clean comes out of a bottle. Cut him some slack!

July 1, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

poor argle bargle, alecia won't be your friend if you keep kissing ass. alecia, stop looking up on google weather or not elijah wood was actually on that show, nobody knows who david faustino is.

July 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • PWR

Google weather . . . Isn't that where you go to see if it's going to rain?

July 2, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  69. Cletus

He was awesome playing the son on married with children

July 1, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Mark

Elijah is a great actor and I am very glad he is back in the spotlight. I've watched the first couple episodes of "Wilfred" (really only because he is in it) and I really like his character. The new Hobbit movie will be awesome! I hope he has a long & happy life and career.

July 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Donkey

Elijah Wood isn't gay. He's not even a real person. Elijah Wood is actuall Kristen Stewart dressed as a guy.

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarky

I think he's actually Amy Poelher in disguise. She could probably be his stunt double.

July 1, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Kool Aid Man

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  73. jdog

lord I'm sick and tired of hearing these woe is me battles of millionaires, if your life is so tough, get a REAL job and work for a living

July 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Evel Knievel

These movies are unwatchable. The whole story sux.

July 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Argle Bargle

Nobody asked you. When we want your opinion, we'll send a Ork over to beat it out of you.

July 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Don't bother, he's a troll. Scroll through CNN boards and he's always saying moronic things. Yeah, what did J.R.R. Tolkien know about writing? Idiot...

July 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

And if I learned anything from the movies, trolls are hard to kill.

July 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • haarkonen

most scholars and readers/watchers of the series would disagree with you. you might want to reconsider how you word your statement. if it's not for you that's one thing, but saying "it sux" says more about you than the LOTR.

July 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  75. !!

Please tell me Peter Jackson is spearheading this foray as well!

July 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Lewis

I watched last night's episode of Wilfred and it's pretty funny. If that show takes off it could be a big summer hit and he would not be in a slump anymore. I think he will be around a long time. I hope so.

July 1, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  77. jackson

Yep, you are an unintelligent, probably christian, bonehead.

July 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  78. mike

why do gay people call christians unintelligent and than insist on getting married.

July 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  79. mike

booooooooo

July 1, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Guest

Calling someone an unintelligent Christian is redundant.

July 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  81. RS

Mike, I think gays feel that Christians are unintelligent when they oppose equal rights for all Americans, and base their beliefs on a ridiculous, magical book that has as much in common with Greek mythology as it has with real life. I'm speaking about the bible, of course, just in case you truly are quite unintelligent.

July 1, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  82. mike

RS, am I unintelligent? Or did I make that question to get people like you stired up, questioning what they read. You answer although correct in a way, has shown just how unintelligent you are. Diversity and harmonie can rarely co-exist. A common understanding of understanding, is the only way.

July 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  83. humberto

Why didn't the Minnesota governor or any US Governor just adhere to last years budget, when no new budget could be approved within a timely matter, as required by law, by a malfeasant Congress . LMAO

July 2, 2011 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  84. humberto

Time for a wallstreet correction ???

July 2, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  85. TI

damn str8 he is im glad hes batting for my team.

July 2, 2011 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  86. mike

I've been throwing that question around too humberto lol all I can say is greed on all many levels drives inflation

July 2, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  87. mike

many levels. Not all manny levels lol

July 2, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  88. Heather

... and obvious troll is successful. That takes talent.

July 2, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |