'Transformers 3': $37.3 million on opening day
June 30th, 2011

'Transformers 3': $37.3 million on opening day

“Transformers: Dark of the Moon” didn’t quite impress critics but it’s doubtful director Michael Bay’s crying over that.

The third installment of the “Transformers” franchise has brought in the best opening day gross in 2011, according to the Los Angeles Times, with a gross of $37.3 million from Wednesday's showings. It's playing well in 3-D theaters, which contributed to about 60 percent of sales.

If you add in the $5.5 million from Tuesday night showings, the total comes to $42.8 million.

The previous title holder for top opening day of the year was “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” which had a gross of $34.8 million, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

And yet, although this movie has been pegged as a step up from its predecessor “Revenge of the Fallen,” it’s made less money. The second “Transformers” movie yielded $62 million on its first day in 2009, which was also a Wednesday release.

Perhaps this “Transformers” three-quel will turn into another story of success for star Shia LaBeouf, who was named the actor who gives the most bang for the buck by Forbes last October. According to the magazine, for every $1 LaBeouf is paid, the movie pulled in $81 in profit.

But will the actor be back for more “Transformers”? It’s unlikely. The 25-year-old told MTV News earlier this week that he was done with the franchise.

"I just don't think right now there's anywhere to take Sam," he said. "If you'd asked me fifteen years ago if I would be here, I would've said, 'No way.' I don't have a grand plan…I just fall into movies. I'm blessed in that regard.”

LaBeouf goes on to say that he’s learned a lot from Michael Bay, “as a person, as an actor, as a person on set. And it's not that I don't enjoy working with Michael. I love working with Michael. I would do any movie Michael wants to do. I just don't think there's anywhere to take it with Sam."

Filed under: movies • Transformers

1. Johnny

The original cartoon is still the best. Autobots! transform and roll out! I wonder if the 4th installment will have the mentally challenged dinobots. Me Grimlock! me maaaad!

July 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dave

Someone will always draw in the political BS.....usually the borderline reactionary conservatives.Observer like most of your kind you are a fool

July 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mario

Im pretty sure that Michael Bay is not sweating the first day numbers of Transformers 3 because it was released on a Tuesday night....not the weekend. Wait till those numbers come in and Im sure it will be higher than the widweek release.

That being said, the first one was good, second one was "meh" but I still enjoyed it, and I will be seeing the third one. Megan Fox was way hotter than the "love interest" in this movie but I'm glad she was replaced for running her mouth about Michael Bay. Not that I care about him at all but who bites the hand that feeds them. Stupidity at it's finest....Megan your fun to look at but your not winning ANY Oscars this year....or millenium.

July 1, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. charlie crack

Shia can "LeBoof" anyone he wants with that kinda $$$. Dumb movie though.

July 1, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Taliban

Just close your shoots all of ya!!

July 1, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Robin

Wow...such colorful comments and opinions. I have not seen this movie yet but I can't wait until I do. I happen to enjoy the Transformers movies. I think it's comical that some people think certain movies , to quote Mike D," play to the lowest common denominator of movie audiences." Really? I am a 29 year old educated woman. Nice to know that my movie choices suddenly put me in the bottom rung of society. And to quote Denker, "that's where Dreamworks comes in...for folks rolling to the movie theater on 22" chrome rims.... I assure you, I don't "roll" to movies on 22" chrome rims. Was that a stab at a certain minority? I certainly hope not.

June 30, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Richard S. Russell

The 3 Transformer movies are making money in inverse proportion to their awfulness. "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." —H. L. Mencken

June 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LouAz

Hey, that girl in the picture is picking that guys pocket !

June 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MrMailman

awesome movie, thanks!

June 30, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ole le

Did the jew get rid of Megan Fox? Gonna wait and download this crap from torrent ;)

June 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MS

To quote Penn Jillette:

"And candle in the wind by Sir Elton John is the best selling song of all time. Popular sure don't mean right"

June 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Really?

Mike and Greg – All I can say is, "Jealous much?" Jealous that you guys aren't raking in the money like Michael Bay is? Jealous that you guys aren't smart enough to come up with the concept yourself? Because he doesn't make movies that are "up to your standards", it's crap? Seeing as they grossed $42 million+ in the first day and a half, there are quite a few people who disagree with you...

June 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike D

Profits are no indication of a works' artistic merit. Ever hear of Van Gogh? He died broke. In fact, most good to great artists are terrible in business – it's not in their nature. Bay, on the other hand, is a businessman. Evidently a good one, considering he produces very low quality product and still makes a healthy profit. The sad part is that a sizable portion of the movie-going public not only pays to see his pyrotechnic dreck but evidently is entertained by it. Very sad indeed.

June 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

You can go back to having your pole smoked by your boyfriend in the back row of the My Shat Don't Stank Art Cinema now.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. greg

I can't believe idiots still pay to see this crap. I understand back in day when CGI was new and everyone just wanted eye candy. In today's day and age I find these action scenes are all the same. Shia Leboeuf is a retard, do any research and you will find out why.

June 30, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lila

There was over a 40% drop form the second film, I doubt they're celebrating.

June 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunt

The movie was 2.5 hours. I think this transformer movie should be the last cause its the same story that is girl being ransom, protecting the girl and saving the world again and again. LOve the 1st one though. Too many scene on this one...that makes it boring. Please do see a movie for latest robot action only...in which we all know..nothing else

June 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MIke D

Michael Bay is Satan – his movies play to the lowest common denominator of movie audiences. That his "output" passes for entertainment is not only a sign of the decline of society but also an agent of that decline. Bay hasn't made one decent movie, and he never will. It's no wonder that he doesn't read reviews. Bay is quoted on IMDB as saying "I make movies for teen-aged boys – so sue me." Interesting defense, but a more accurate statement would have been, "I make movies for teenage boys of lower intelligence who have absolutely no taste in quality film." In fact, that could be Bay's epitaph. I'll carve it personally.

June 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Get off your high horse. Not all entertainment has to be Shakespeare (who also played to the lowest common denominator).

June 30, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denker

I totally agree!! No high horses here, just low mainstream masses. The dumbing down is evident. No, it doesn't have to be Shakespeare, but e.g. most of the Pixar movies are mainstream, but they are also intelligent...that's where Dreamworks comes in...for folks rolling to the movie theater on 22" chrome rims....

June 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • if you hate it

It must be good. I'm going to see it right now, based on your review.

June 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike D

Shakespeare may have dabbled in common prose, but he also produced some of the greatest art of human existence. Michael Bay wouldn't even know where to start.

June 30, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

If, at the end of the day, you find you need to be perpetually challenged by your entertainment choices, then get a job that intellectually challenges you. Some of us appreciate a little mindless entertainment from time to time. Or maybe we just choose to take in more. Sometimes I like something like Transformers. Sometimes I enjoy Shakespeare. Sometimes I like Godsmack. Sometimes I like Beethoven. But I always enjoy pointing out how utterly small minded jack holes like you are.

June 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denker

@Rick

You just keep enjoying that stuff and keep speaking for your self.

June 30, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • huntinghawk

lol people do understand that this series is based on children's toys of the 80s right? Are we gonna demand high brow from future Bugs Bunny films while we are at it?

July 1, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

The only teenage boys that are going to choose Breakfast at Tiffany's over any movie that goes are going to be the future pole smokers. Keep 'em rolling Mr. Bay! The mondo greater majority is behind you! 98% of the population should stop allowing themselves to be bent over by the G.ay Agenda.

July 1, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

meant it to say "...goes BOOM!" but apparently the format does not like brackets around words.

July 1, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  16. Stan

Yeah, now I can make my own piece of sh** movie so long as I use 3D and have enough CGI with explosions.

June 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

Babbling slackjaws like you stand around artwork not knowing that it was created by a 3 year old and talk shyt like "Oh yes, I see the depth of what this artist is saying, it is a post modern expression of Byzentine influence signifying how we have lost touch with our inner god-self which means I should find the nearest same s.ex person who agrees with me and bend over to experience my own inner depths." STFU already self agrandizing POS.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Beefburger

The "slackjaw" comment was meant for Mike D.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. walter

i bet they eat dooodoooo

June 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Observer

Shia Leboeuf is a liberal stooge. Just sayin.

June 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MS

As a liberal I find it very offensive that you lump us in with the likes of Shia LaBeouf

June 30, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ian

That's funny...this article doesn't seem to be in the politics section...hmmmm....

June 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blaze

I believe you missed clicking the "Politics" tab near the top of the page.

July 1, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |